Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 95
  1. #31
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    I am more of an under-rated kind of a guy. That's where you find the real gems. Everybody wants Patou Pour Homme. Nobody wants Balenciaga Ho Hang Club. Under-rated, high quality, and more suited to my tastes than Patou PH.

    P.S: Did I just double the prices of Ho Hang Club?

  2. #32
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    It is a pretty good scent though. The best from D&G. Very surprised they released it, as it is too bold and quirky for what they have built their brand around.

    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    I haven't smelled this, but at the price ppl are asking, it has to belong here as an overrated frag.

    Attachment 152100

  3. #33

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Alain Delon Iquitos. It's surely a very nice 80s powerhouse with a touch of dandy rose making it unique but when I saw the prices it goes for in the US I couldn't believe my eyes.

  4. #34
    Wearing Perfume Right Now
    Bavard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,486

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I am more of an under-rated kind of a guy. That's where you find the real gems. Everybody wants Patou Pour Homme. Nobody wants Balenciaga Ho Hang Club. Under-rated, high quality, and more suited to my tastes than Patou PH.

    P.S: Did I just double the prices of Ho Hang Club?
    Some top posting on Ho Hang Club! It shouldn't affect the price any time soon, though, I wouldn't think. It tends to be a stable market.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    I’d consider a number of the fragrances mentioned “overpriced” as opposed to “overrated.”

    I think it’s hysterical people are selling Rive Gauche PH for $250+... Hysterical because the listings are there week after week... I personally think it’s a great fragrance and as good as advertised, but the asking price is the issue...
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

    Mother Teresa
    Currently wearing: Black to Black by Mancera

  6. #36

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I am more of an under-rated kind of a guy. That's where you find the real gems. Everybody wants Patou Pour Homme. Nobody wants Balenciaga Ho Hang Club. Under-rated, high quality, and more suited to my tastes than Patou PH.

    P.S: Did I just double the prices of Ho Hang Club?
    Lol unfortunately Ho Hang Club doubled in price about a year ago. We can hope once the world's economy opens up again there's a warehouse full of pallets of it I suppose. It's nice, but it was worth it at $25/50ml not the prices now. Ah well, that's life.

  7. #37
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,058

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    I'm more a Ho Hang than Ho Hang Club guy, and if anything that seems to get even less love. I don't think I'm going to set off a rush.

    The issue with unicorn pricing is not that it elevates crap, because then we wouldn't care, but rather that it puts good fragrances out of the reach of most aficionados for no reason other than sellers trying to inflate how much they can get. I can understand testing the upper limits when it's a 100-year-old perfume with a gorgeous and perhaps fragile presentation, but something from the 1980s in a standard cardboard box? Come on.

    The relationship between buyers and sellers shouldn't be exploitative (in either direction). There's no need for that for both parties to get a good, fair deal.

  8. #38
    The Scented Devil
    Varanis Ridari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    12,581
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I'm more a Ho Hang than Ho Hang Club guy, and if anything that seems to get even less love. I don't think I'm going to set off a rush.

    The issue with unicorn pricing is not that it elevates crap, because then we wouldn't care, but rather that it puts good fragrances out of the reach of most aficionados for no reason other than sellers trying to inflate how much they can get. I can understand testing the upper limits when it's a 100-year-old perfume with a gorgeous and perhaps fragile presentation, but something from the 1980s in a standard cardboard box? Come on.

    The relationship between buyers and sellers shouldn't be exploitative (in either direction). There's no need for that for both parties to get a good, fair deal.
    For fear of sparking a political shit storm in this thread, I'll just say that nearly all transactional relationships in our current "form" of capitalism have become exploitative one way or the other, from commodities you need to live, all the way down to discretionary purchases like hobbies. The very concept of luxury itself is a scam these days.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

  9. #39
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I'm more a Ho Hang than Ho Hang Club guy, and if anything that seems to get even less love. I don't think I'm going to set off a rush.

    The issue with unicorn pricing is not that it elevates crap, because then we wouldn't care, but rather that it puts good fragrances out of the reach of most aficionados for no reason other than sellers trying to inflate how much they can get. I can understand testing the upper limits when it's a 100-year-old perfume with a gorgeous and perhaps fragile presentation, but something from the 1980s in a standard cardboard box? Come on.

    The relationship between buyers and sellers shouldn't be exploitative (in either direction). There's no need for that for both parties to get a good, fair deal.
    I disagree. I believe buyers have more control on the pricing than sellers. And for "practical" vintage that is really for use, and not historical purposes like 1920's or 1930's would be, the competition is always with the currently available lot. If I am willing to consider dropping $650 on a Roja Dove, then in all likelihood, I am willing to drop that much on a vintage- and it would boil down to which one I believe provides me a better experience. Just about a decade ago, Clive Christian prices were so out of this world, that they even had the slogan "the world's most expensive perfume". Nowadays, their prices seem pedestrian, and consequently their widespread usage compared to a decade ago. The competition is always with the current market, and buyers would find a way to compare with the current market.

  10. #40

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eilenberg View Post
    Alain Delon Iquitos. It's surely a very nice 80s powerhouse with a touch of dandy rose making it unique but when I saw the prices it goes for in the US I couldn't believe my eyes.
    I agree with your comments. Prices of Iquitos are quite exploitative because of the limited quantity available at any given time these days. I would imagine mostly non-fragrance enthusiasts who have used it regularly would pay these prices. Even The Body Shop fragrances that I could buy for around 20 bucks are now fetching over $200 just because of discontinuation and limited supply. I would anyday buy higher quantities of Samsara or Shalimar PdT than a bottle of Iquitos. I always thought of Iquitos as a nice fragrance and thought of getting to it once I secured my most favorites, little did I know how prices would change in the future.

    In mall perfume shops a few years back, I mostly saw Iquitos in the clearance/heavily discounted section and any fragrances from top houses like Guerlain, Hermes etc. were always the highest priced. Now Iquitos has long passed fragrances like Equipage, Heritage etc.

    I wouldn’t call Derby and Patou Pour Homme overrated, though somewhat overpriced. Considering the price vs quality ratio of the luxury fragrances currently being sold in high end stores, I think both Derby and Patou PH are still decently priced. Both were composed by very skilled parfumeurs and the quantity of just the sandalwood used in these fragrances is hard for any perfume house to imagine these days. Patou Pour Homme openly listed Mysore Sandalwood on their bottles and Derby listed Indian/Precious Woods.
    Currently wearing: Jasmine by Floris

  11. #41
    Basenotes Institution badarun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    14,066

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Another vote on being over rated for Patou Pour Homme.

    +1 for Gucci Rush being over rated as well. Very ordinary in my books.

    I'll add both the Tom Ford Gucci Pour Homme's to the over rated list too.

    All the batches of Haventus too...

    And every new ambroxan and other WMD's filled stuff coming out nowadays like Sauvage etc...
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

  12. #42
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Lol unfortunately Ho Hang Club doubled in price about a year ago. We can hope once the world's economy opens up again there's a warehouse full of pallets of it I suppose. It's nice, but it was worth it at $25/50ml not the prices now. Ah well, that's life.
    Good for Ho Hang Club! That really means more people are starting to appreciate Ho Hang Club. Either that, or stock is depleting. I don't bemoan rising prices. It's all relative. We cannot be a prisoner of the past, and keep on harping back at historical data. "Value" investors have barely kept their head above water in the stock market in the past 4 decades

  13. #43
    Dependent
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,221
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    For fear of sparking a political shit storm in this thread, I'll just say that nearly all transactional relationships in our current "form" of capitalism have become exploitative one way or the other, from commodities you need to live, all the way down to discretionary purchases like hobbies. The very concept of luxury itself is a scam these days.
    Where can we read the full version?

  14. #44
    The Scented Devil
    Varanis Ridari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Seattle/Bellevue WA
    Posts
    12,581
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    Where can we read the full version?
    You can't.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

  15. #45

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    Good for Ho Hang Club! That really means more people are starting to appreciate Ho Hang Club. Either that, or stock is depleting. I don't bemoan rising prices. It's all relative. We cannot be a prisoner of the past, and keep on harping back at historical data. "Value" investors have barely kept their head above water in the stock market in the past 4 decades
    It's not relative it's objective. Objectively the price has risen from $25 to ~$40. You mean it's relative on if it's still worth it at that price? I agree. I don't know what you mean about the stock market -- value investors are probably up more than the 110% average gain of the last decade if you mean actual value investing utilizing fundamental valuations, and not gambling.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I disagree. I believe buyers have more control on the pricing than sellers. And for "practical" vintage that is really for use, and not historical purposes like 1920's or 1930's would be, the competition is always with the currently available lot. If I am willing to consider dropping $650 on a Roja Dove, then in all likelihood, I am willing to drop that much on a vintage- and it would boil down to which one I believe provides me a better experience. Just about a decade ago, Clive Christian prices were so out of this world, that they even had the slogan "the world's most expensive perfume". Nowadays, their prices seem pedestrian, and consequently their widespread usage compared to a decade ago. The competition is always with the current market, and buyers would find a way to compare with the current market.
    I really don't agree with that. Let's say I am willing to spend $650 on a Roja. That could either mean I'm getting a deal (Diaghilev, Chypre Extraordinaire, Great Britian, etc) or I'm paying retail.Most fragrances I'm getting 1/2 or 1/3 the price of retail. Now compare that to some vintages such as the infamous YSL Rive Gauche you're paying 2-4x the price that this was selling at before it got discontinued. I know personally that if I'm willing to drop money on a perfume the second I see I'm paying more than retail I'm out of there. I don't think I'm alone in how I see that valuation play out. I can't get Diaghilev for 1/3 the price, so even if 1.1k at retail is a lot, and $650 is a lot (relative sure) at discount, I'm still saving money theoretically, even if that Roja Dove was never worth 1.1k to me in the first place. I could have got Rive Gauche Pour Homme for $60 not that long ago, so when I see now I would have to pay $180 I won't even consider it, because it never was "worth" $180. Yeah sure there's outliers, and if Rive Gauche Pour Homme was special to me maybe I'd drop it, but there's a reason those bottles sit on eBay forever now instead of selling -- because people think the way I've said.

  16. #46
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.
    PStoller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    6,058

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    The issue with unicorn pricing is not that it elevates crap, because then we wouldn't care, but rather that it puts good fragrances out of the reach of most aficionados for no reason other than sellers trying to inflate how much they can get. I can understand testing the upper limits when it's a 100-year-old perfume with a gorgeous and perhaps fragile presentation, but something from the 1980s in a standard cardboard box? Come on.

    The relationship between buyers and sellers shouldn't be exploitative (in either direction). There's no need for that for both parties to get a good, fair deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    For fear of sparking a political shit storm in this thread, I'll just say that nearly all transactional relationships in our current "form" of capitalism have become exploitative one way or the other, from commodities you need to live, all the way down to discretionary purchases like hobbies. The very concept of luxury itself is a scam these days.
    Well, you're raising a few different issues at once. I think you and I would agree (even if others would not) that the trade in such commodities as housing and healthcare is exploitative and weighted in the seller's favor. OTOH, I'm not sure we can say the same about food, where many suppliers are at least as screwed as consumers.

    Hobbies such as fragrance collecting? Putting it in perspective with necessities, it's hard to get too worked up over the price of a bottle of perfume.

    Luxury has always been something of a scam in one way or another. It is the nature of luxuries that their value is whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Marketing makes all the difference in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    I disagree. I believe buyers have more control on the pricing than sellers. And for "practical" vintage that is really for use, and not historical purposes like 1920's or 1930's would be, the competition is always with the currently available lot. If I am willing to consider dropping $650 on a Roja Dove, then in all likelihood, I am willing to drop that much on a vintage- and it would boil down to which one I believe provides me a better experience. Just about a decade ago, Clive Christian prices were so out of this world, that they even had the slogan "the world's most expensive perfume". Nowadays, their prices seem pedestrian, and consequently their widespread usage compared to a decade ago. The competition is always with the current market, and buyers would find a way to compare with the current market.
    We don't really disagree that much: it just varies depending on the specific fragrance. Of course, sellers can't sell for more than buyers will pay. In that sense, buyers are always in greater control. But then, buyers can't buy for less than sellers are willing to charge. Sellers do what they can to manipulate the market, whether independently or in collusion (which may not be conscious) with each other. If an item is sufficiently rare and/or a very select few control the supply, and for whatever reason demand is high, sellers really do set the price. Surely buyers don't want two ounces of Patou PH to cost $700: that's the result of sellers pushing the top of the market to see what they can get, and a few overzealous, FOMO-driven buyers playing into it. But unicorns are by nature the exception—which is why some sellers try to recast anything discontinued as a unicorn.

    Clive Christian's whole "most expensive" thing was hype based on limited edition bejeweled flacons, not its regular line of fragrances, which were and are expensive but not any sort of record-breaker. Niche and artisanal perfumers from Roja Dove to Russian Adam are pushing the price envelope, and buyers "have control" only to the degree that they act as enablers and buy into the whole idea that if it costs more, it must be worth more—and, by extension, if you buy it, then YOU must be worth more, too. Meanwhile, Clive Christian has changed hands a couple of times because successive owners haven't been able to make the line profitable. Success is not predicated on unit price alone.

    When you step away from the extremes, though, it's perfectly possible in most cases for a seller to make a reasonable profit at the same time a buyer feels they've gotten a reasonable deal. They just have to set aside the desire to make a "killing" or get a "steal," and instead consider what they really need out of the exchange to make it worthwhile. I believe this is something you do. It's something I try to do, as well. While there's an inescapable adversarial aspect to transactional relationships, it's entirely unnecessary for that to rise to the level of hostility. The real goal is symbiosis, not victory in a death match.

  17. #47

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    When you step away from the extremes, though, it's perfectly possible in most cases for a seller to make a reasonable profit at the same time a buyer feels they've gotten a reasonable deal. They just have to set aside the desire to make a "killing" or get a "steal," and instead consider what they really need out of the exchange to make it worthwhile. I believe this is something you do. It's something I try to do, as well. While there's an inescapable adversarial aspect to transactional relationships, it's entirely unnecessary for that to rise to the level of hostility. The real goal is symbiosis, not victory in a death match.
    And if you can figure out how to make a buyer feel they've gotten a steal, while also making a killing, then you win.

  18. #48
    Mudassir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,893
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    It's not relative it's objective. Objectively the price has risen from $25 to ~$40. You mean it's relative on if it's still worth it at that price? I agree. I don't know what you mean about the stock market -- value investors are probably up more than the 110% average gain of the last decade if you mean actual value investing utilizing fundamental valuations, and not gambling.




    I really don't agree with that. Let's say I am willing to spend $650 on a Roja. That could either mean I'm getting a deal (Diaghilev, Chypre Extraordinaire, Great Britian, etc) or I'm paying retail.Most fragrances I'm getting 1/2 or 1/3 the price of retail. Now compare that to some vintages such as the infamous YSL Rive Gauche you're paying 2-4x the price that this was selling at before it got discontinued. I know personally that if I'm willing to drop money on a perfume the second I see I'm paying more than retail I'm out of there. I don't think I'm alone in how I see that valuation play out. I can't get Diaghilev for 1/3 the price, so even if 1.1k at retail is a lot, and $650 is a lot (relative sure) at discount, I'm still saving money. I could have got Rive Gauche Pour Homme for $60 not that long ago, so when I see now I would have to pay $180 I won't even consider it.
    There is nothing objective in referring to some insanely low prices courtesy of grey market, and take that as a marker to extrapolate on when something is discontinued, but yet consider something current a deal because you are able to get it under retail. All prices are relative/subjective, and it all boils down to what the buyer's experience is. You won't consider Rive Gauche at $180, because you are going back to $60(which wasn't the retail). There are tonnes of others, who might find that $180 a better experience than a "deal" on Roja Dove from $650 to $180.

  19. #49

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I'm more a Ho Hang than Ho Hang Club guy, and if anything that seems to get even less love. I don't think I'm going to set off a rush.
    .
    Initially I did enjoy Ho Hang Club but once I was introduced to Ho Hang that changed, I prefer the Latter any day.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  20. #50

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    There is nothing objective in referring to some insanely low prices courtesy of grey market, and take that as a marker to extrapolate on when something is discontinued, but yet consider something current a deal because you are able to get it under retail. All prices are relative/subjective, and it all boils down to what the buyer's experience is. You won't consider Rive Gauche at $180, because you are going back to $60(which wasn't the retail). There are tonnes of others, who might find that $180 a better experience than a "deal" on Roja Dove from $650 to $180.
    True $60 wasn't the retail, but it was objectively the price you could get it at. Now it is objectively not that. Objectively Ho Hang Club was $25, now it objectively is not. Anything to do with a concept of "worth" when speaking about individual purchasing wants is individual, and those concepts also aren't separate from market psychology.

  21. #51

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Shiseido Nombre Noir.

    Overrated and overpriced.
    An absolutely ordinary perfume, transformed into a myth without any real reason.

  22. #52

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Akragas View Post
    Shiseido Nombre Noir.

    Overrated and overpriced.
    An absolutely ordinary perfume, transformed into a myth without any real reason.
    It's grossly expensive. Despite that it's one of the best rose chypre scent that I've smelled.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

  23. #53

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    It's grossly expensive. Despite that it's one of the best rose chypre scent that I've smelled.
    I'm lucky enough to have a mini, and I can appreciate the quality of the scent even though it is not in my personal style. However, I've read that some of the ingredients are very volatile, which means that we are probably not experiencing the full picture as it was released back in the 80s, even if a bottle was stored in ideal conditions.

    Is it overrated and overpriced as it is now? Probably. I think most people pay for the story and mythology behind it.

  24. #54

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    I'm a bit puzzled that By (Dolce & Gabbana) has been suggested, Is it just because of the price being asked?

    I liked it very much but it didn't last long, so for me it was underrated at the time and taken off the shelves.

    My brain hurts

  25. #55

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    I agree with your comments. Prices of Iquitos are quite exploitative because of the limited quantity available at any given time these days. I would imagine mostly non-fragrance enthusiasts who have used it regularly would pay these prices. Even The Body Shop fragrances that I could buy for around 20 bucks are now fetching over $200 just because of discontinuation and limited supply. I would anyday buy higher quantities of Samsara or Shalimar PdT than a bottle of Iquitos. I always thought of Iquitos as a nice fragrance and thought of getting to it once I secured my most favorites, little did I know how prices would change in the future.

    In mall perfume shops a few years back, I mostly saw Iquitos in the clearance/heavily discounted section and any fragrances from top houses like Guerlain, Hermes etc. were always the highest priced. Now Iquitos has long passed fragrances like Equipage, Heritage etc.

    I wouldn’t call Derby and Patou Pour Homme overrated, though somewhat overpriced. Considering the price vs quality ratio of the luxury fragrances currently being sold in high end stores, I think both Derby and Patou PH are still decently priced. Both were composed by very skilled parfumeurs and the quantity of just the sandalwood used in these fragrances is hard for any perfume house to imagine these days. Patou Pour Homme openly listed Mysore Sandalwood on their bottles and Derby listed Indian/Precious Woods.
    You can imagine how perplexed was I when I had bought it for about $2 for a 7ml Iquitios mini in Europe and then started reading about it online just to learn that it goes for about 10x times that in the US. It makes you think of some lucrative transatlantic arbitrage opportunities hah.

  26. #56

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Another one: Gucci pour Homme (2003). This one is not overrated but for sure severely overpriced. I understand the first-mover advantage of being a dry, woody oriental fragrance of this type but with Comme des Garcons 2 (or even Bentley for Men Absolute) around the premium for Gucci just seems silly.

  27. #57

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I think there's a meaningful semantic difference between overrated and overpriced. There are some fine fragrances in this thread that are being tagged as "overrated" because of unicorn pricing. I would argue, for example, that—on a purely olfactory basis—no fragrance is worth the prices Patou for Homme fetches (or at least asks) in the market, but that doesn't mean it isn't great stuff. Some fragrances use painfully expensive ingredients, or are extremely difficult to find: there, you're paying for something beyond how it actually smells. If you're OK with that, then it's "worth it." Likewise, I don't think Derby or Blend 30 are overrated, just overpriced.

    Overrated would be something that gets critical praise or fanatical devotion it doesn't warrant: e.g., Aventus, which strikes me as a perfectly fine fragrance but hardly the be-all, end-all the maniacal batch-code-parsers would have one believe.

    But then, we're back to the usual banter about what we do and don't like as if it were an objective assessment. It's probably more accurate to say that any fragrance you've experienced is exactly as good as you think it is.
    I couldn't agree more. Thanks for your clarity of exposition.
    Let your nose be your pilot

  28. #58

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post

    The issue with unicorn pricing is not that it elevates crap, because then we wouldn't care, but rather that it puts good fragrances out of the reach of most aficionados for no reason other than sellers trying to inflate how much they can get. I can understand testing the upper limits when it's a 100-year-old perfume with a gorgeous and perhaps fragile presentation, but something from the 1980s in a standard cardboard box? Come on.

    The relationship between buyers and sellers shouldn't be exploitative (in either direction). There's no need for that for both parties to get a good, fair deal.
    Indeed
    Let your nose be your pilot

  29. #59

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eilenberg View Post
    Another one: Gucci pour Homme (2003). This one is not overrated but for sure severely overpriced. I understand the first-mover advantage of being a dry, woody oriental fragrance of this type but with Comme des Garcons 2 (or even Bentley for Men Absolute) around the premium for Gucci just seems silly.
    Totally agree with this, Bentley for Men Absolute easily took its place and I gave the bottle of GPH1 to a friend to enjoy.

    Although the higher prices of discontinued items is a bit frustrating, I don't see how its any different from Classic cars, Vintage Wine, rare records etc... Smelling fragrances is not some sort of human right nor a life necessity, it's not bread or water or something.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!

  30. #60
    Basenotes Plus
    grayspoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,429

    Default Re: Most Overrated Discontinued Frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    The very concept of luxury itself is a scam these days.
    Perhaps nothing more than a marketing strategy, but I agree for the most part.

    Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Luxury has always been something of a scam in one way or another. It is the nature of luxuries that their value is whatever someone is willing to pay for them. Marketing makes all the difference in the world.
    I don’t believe this was always the case. Luxury goods before mass markets emerged (say, before WWII) were finely crafted by highly skilled artisans and made of the best materials.Their value was therefore based on more than just marketing but they were also out of reach for most people.

    The best book I’ve read on all of this is by Dana Thomas, Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster (2007). If anything, the concept of a luxury commodity has become even more hollow and the manipulation of consumer taste even more pervasive and insidious through new forms of social media, since that book was published.

    https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/books/21kaku.html
    Currently wearing: Givenchy III by Givenchy




Similar Threads

  1. Discontinued men's frags that never go away?
    By The_Cologneist in forum Vintage Perfume
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 22nd December 2020, 06:19 PM
  2. Best still available discontinued frags
    By DeeOlive in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 16th December 2007, 05:03 PM
  3. Discontinued Frags
    By bsmith001 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th August 2007, 08:29 PM
  4. Are Frags Ever Really Discontinued
    By scentinell in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 17th August 2006, 09:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000