Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default D&G Light Blue Forever EDP - Amazing

D&G Light Blue Forever EDP

My goodness, this is good stuff.
    A very realistic, delicious, sharp and sweet at the same time, almost rindy grapefruit.
    A very unique freshie.

I was absolutely blown away when smelling this on paper.
    Tested it on my skin and bought it a couple of minutes later.
    This dries down into an extremely intoxicating, sexy, musky - citrus fragrance.

What even surprised me more is the performance.
    This one spray on my arm was hitting my nose out of nowhere for hours, and every whiff surprised me how good it is.

Fruits and musk, does this remind you of something?
    This is basically a Grapefruit Aventus.
    No, it doesn't smell like Aventus, you need Mont Blanc Explorer for that.
    But this is the same genre, and quite frankly, better done.

Well done, Shyamala Maisondieu.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: D&G Light Blue Forever EDP - Amazing

Have to remember to try this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

It’s very peppery musky. I was a bit shocked as it’s so different from the previous scents and also not really “fresh” in my opinion. I was prepared to pick it up, but upon testing it, I decided to hold off. I would advise against blind buying it. Worthy of testing though.

Will test if I run across it in my travels.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Light Blue Pour Homme always smelled fantastic on a friend of mine. I can imagine taking that to the next level with a peppery EDP. Will try to smell!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

If Shiseido dropped D&G, this one is potentially only going to have a single batch run unless they've secured another manufacturer and that manufacturer gets to have the formula.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    If Shiseido dropped D&G, this one is potentially only going to have a single batch run unless they've secured another manufacturer and that manufacturer gets to have the formula.
    Thanks for the warning!

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks for the warning!
    Not trying to make a unicorn scare, but when licenses change hands, it often spells discontinuations if the new licensee doesn't want to buy the formulas developed under the older one. This is why Gucci Parfums rebooted twice: Scannon wouldn't sell formulas to Gucci-PPR, and Tom Ford retained rights to what was made under him so L'Oreal had to start from scratch with the Guilty line when they got the license from PPR. I think at least the classic D&Gs like pour Homme, Light Blue, and The One are safe because those weren't made under Shiseido in the first place, carrying over from Eurotalia to P&G then to Shiseido. All the recent flankers and the new K line are in danger though, although I think whoever gets the license (likely Coty or L'Oreal) is going to want K because it sells.

Similarly, when Dior moved all their perfume making in-house around 2011, Demachy had to use a GCMS machine to remake Dior Homme and many of Dior's classic scents because the original laboratories that were getting royalties for license (Givaudan for Higher and Dior Homme, Roure Bertrand Dupont for Jules, Fahrenheit, and Dune, Art et Parfum for all the Roudnitska stuff) refused to sell formulas, so LVMH basically said "f**k you" to them and had the house perfumer reverse engineer them all. It's pretty remarkable when you consider how good some of them smell (like Fahrenheit) even though they were re-created without access to the original formula notes. Maybe the new D&G perfume maker will resort to such "cloning" since it isn't illegal.
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Similarly, when Dior moved all their perfume making in-house around 2011, Demachy had to use a GCMS machine to remake Dior Homme and many of Dior's classic scents because the original laboratories that were getting royalties for license (Givaudan for Higher and Dior Homme, Roure Bertrand Dupont for Jules, Fahrenheit, and Dune, Art et Parfum for all the Roudnitska stuff) refused to sell formulas, so LVMH basically said "f**k you" to them and had the house perfumer reverse engineer them all. It's pretty remarkable when you consider how good some of them smell (like Fahrenheit) even though they were re-created without access to the original formula notes. Maybe the new D&G perfume maker will resort to such "cloning" since it isn't illegal.
    That is very interesting. I didn't realize Demachy had to reverse-engineer them in that manner. Just further solidifies his genius to me. If I had to pick a favorite perfumer, I guess it would be him. According to who you read/believe, he actually did the majority of the work on more than one fragrance that Jacques Polge gets credited with. I still think he hasn't actually received credit on some fragrances where he at least did half the work? Not sure from memory. I need to read up on that further, but at any rate, it goes to show how long he's been in the game, and making extraordinary fragrances. I'm thinking of stuff as obscure but outstanding as Ungaro I in particular. Absolute legend of perfumery.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Not trying to make a unicorn scare, but when licenses change hands, it often spells discontinuations if the new licensee doesn't want to buy the formulas developed under the older one. This is why Gucci Parfums rebooted twice: Scannon wouldn't sell formulas to Gucci-PPR, and Tom Ford retained rights to what was made under him so L'Oreal had to start from scratch with the Guilty line when they got the license from PPR. I think at least the classic D&Gs like pour Homme, Light Blue, and The One are safe because those weren't made under Shiseido in the first place, carrying over from Eurotalia to P&G then to Shiseido. All the recent flankers and the new K line are in danger though, although I think whoever gets the license (likely Coty or L'Oreal) is going to want K because it sells.

The Dior move was amazing. It turned out really well, but how could they be sure? I'm thinking that Demachy had a "GCMS" whisperer & miracle worker behind him, and they already had beautiful copies of at least one or two of the hard cases, so when push came to shove, Dior knew.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cpp214 View Post
    That is very interesting. I didn't realize Demachy had to reverse-engineer them in that manner. Just further solidifies his genius to me. If I had to pick a favorite perfumer, I guess it would be him. According to who you read/believe, he actually did the majority of the work on more than one fragrance that Jacques Polge gets credited with. I still think he hasn't actually received credit on some fragrances where he at least did half the work? Not sure from memory. I need to read up on that further, but at any rate, it goes to show how long he's been in the game, and making extraordinary fragrances. I'm thinking of stuff as obscure but outstanding as Ungaro I in particular. Absolute legend of perfumery.
    Demachy was head of creative R&D for Chanel and did half the composing for Chanel Platinum Egoiste. Jean-Pierre Mari was around for Allure, and it was Christopher Sheldrake after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    The Dior move was amazing. It turned out really well, but how could they be sure? I'm thinking that Demachy had a "GCMS" whisperer & miracle worker behind him, and they already had beautiful copies of at least one or two of the hard cases, so when push came to shove, Dior knew.
    Possibly. I think the "figuring out" of Eau Sauvage and Fahrenheit via GCMS is probably why so many newer flankers of such older scents as those began hitting the market in the 2010's too. There was really no interest in Eau Sauvage flankers for years prior to that.
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Did a full wearing today.

Absolutely wonderful stuff.
    Best designer release in years.

That grapefruit lasts a really long time and is absolutely beautiful.
    What popped out today is the very green and modern, almost sharp / citrussy vetiver.
    Such an intoxicating aroma. Every whiff I catch is excellent and makes me craving for more.

10/10

Basenotes Plus

Wow! Not saying otherwise, but do you have a source or some kind of article I can read about that? That's... really interesting, haha. Never knew that, I think!
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

Will give it a try when I see it at retails.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Tried it last night on a paper strip. Pretty good but not sure if I love it. I didn't get to experience the drydown. Definitely want to try this again though.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

I’m a fan of the original and also own the Sun flanker. Eager to try this one.
    Currently wearing: L'Insoumis by Lalique

Ha, thanks for the reminder.
    Now I know what I missed trying out when I was in the drugstore/perfumery lately - I had it in my mind when lingering around there that I there was a fragrance left out...

The perfumer also created Parfums de Marly Oajan.
    I'm curious how she did a D&G Light Blue flanker.

I haven't given this a full wear yet, but it surprised me. That ultra strong grapefruit opening, almost unpleasant, but only just almost. After about 20-30 minutes it dries down a bit and starts to get more pleasant and after a few hours, it's actually opening up and becoming really good and fresh. Heck, I could still smell it faintly on my hand the next morning, more than 12 hours later. I did buy a 50ml - that's all they had - and I certainly hope for some hot days or a bit of vacation in a hot place this year. Will give this a lot of wear then!

Quote Originally Posted by jacobtf View Post
    I haven't given this a full wear yet, but it surprised me. That ultra strong grapefruit opening, almost unpleasant, but only just almost. After about 20-30 minutes it dries down a bit and starts to get more pleasant and after a few hours, it's actually opening up and becoming really good and fresh. Heck, I could still smell it faintly on my hand the next morning, more than 12 hours later. I did buy a 50ml - that's all they had - and I certainly hope for some hot days or a bit of vacation in a hot place this year. Will give this a lot of wear then!
    Yeah, it's got some legs. I tested it on skin yesterday afternoon, and I washed my arm twice, slept, and went for a morning run and still had the stuff hanging around until I showered today. The opening is a photorealistic grapefruit for sure, and it goes back and forth between bitter and sweet for those first 30 minutes or so but never dips into the urinous grapefruit danger zone. There's supposed to be some violet leaf here...okay, if you say so. Maybe a bit of greenery shows up to soften the grapefruit, but really, until it dries down and the musk comes in, I don't get much except grapefruit. The base is sweetened and softened due to the musk, but the vetiver...nah, not much here, really. This sort of feels like an Atelier cologne but far less expensive and with one of their nicer drydowns, when the floral aspect of the grapefruit starts to come through.

I wanted to call this a one-trick pony, but it's really pretty cool how many grapefruit dimensions are here. It's got the bitter white grapefruit, tart-sweet pink grapefruit, floral-sweet red grapefruit, some juice, some peel. If I still lived in the Texas heat and humidity, I'd buy a bottle and probably burn through it in a summer. It's very refreshing. That said, I might get annoyed with the unrelenting grapefruit eventually.

Not sure it has anything to do with Light Blue (come to think of it, a bit of the saltiness of the original - preferably via the vetiver claimed in the notes - might be interesting here), but this one is worth a sniff IMO.
    Last edited by TRBeck; 7th May 2021 at 08:43 PM.

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Institution

Will sample when I can.

Tried this today at Macy's and I have to say I agree 100%. I was completely put off by the strong grapefruit note at first but the drydown and scent trail is amazing after that grapefruit note calms down. This will surely be a summer staple for me. Heading back to Macy's tomorrow to purchase this.

Blog Entries

It would be amazing if this made it into the Basenotes directory.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Wow! Not saying otherwise, but do you have a source or some kind of article I can read about that? That's... really interesting, haha. Never knew that, I think!
    Google DeMachy taking over as house perfumer circa 2011/2012, and related things concerning Dior and LVMH. It'll come up. Google is literally all I use for all my research.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    It would be amazing if this made it into the Basenotes directory.
    Already sampled. My review will be in the blogs tab until directory updates happen again (Judith is sick atm per Grant).
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Finally tried this yesterday but didn't care for it at all.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    Tried this today at Macy's and I have to say I agree 100%. I was completely put off by the strong grapefruit note at first but the drydown and scent trail is amazing after that grapefruit note calms down. This will surely be a summer staple for me. Heading back to Macy's tomorrow to purchase this.
    This could easily be put in a niche bottle.
    Triple the price.
    Call it 'Grapefruit for Greatness'.

And people would be raving about it.

i'm a bit indifferent to grapefruit (at least this sort of hyper-realistic grapefruit) so it's not a love...but there's no denying this is quality perfume. concur that it's easily niche quality in a designer bottle and nothing to do with previous Light Blue releases. and boy what an opening! even has some tropical nuances, a summer banger all the way.
    Currently wearing: Parade by Céline

Thank you for the recommendation, will test and share any post-sampling impressions asap

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    This could easily be put in a niche bottle.
    Triple the price.
    Call it 'Grapefruit for Greatness'.

And people would be raving about it.
    You missed an opportunity to say "Fruit for Grapeness".
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Basenotes Plus

Anyone getting a prominent musk from this? I get essentially no musk at all; it's basically grapefruit + pepper-y smell that just comes on strong then fades. I'm a bit sad, hah

I'm hoping if I wear this in small amounts over time, I'll be able to un-anosmic-fy myself.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!

i didn't get much of a musk if at all. it was much more about this thick grapefruit rind accord that went the duration of the fragrance and faded out over time. very nice blending and performance more than good enough.

i tried it on someone who said it smelled like 'persil' (known laundry detergent in the UK) so i guess it has cleaning product associations to your average nose, but an exceedingly realistic grapefruit as far as i'm concerned. can't say it's a love or bottle worthy yet, just don't appreciate the grapefruit aroma all that much by itself. give me Elysium Parfum on the other hand...
    Currently wearing: Parade by Céline