Code of Conduct

Default How is the current formulation of Platinum Egoiste?

Is it still good?

Default Re: How is the current formulation of Platinum Egoiste?

I sampled it a few months ago and thought it was harsh. I wore it a lot in the 90s and remember it being a lot smoother. I like LV Meteore as an upgrade to it.

Good but I have spotty performance with this one, smells excellent while it is strong and projecting.
    Current Top Favorites:

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Givenchy Gentleman EDT Originale
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
    Caron Le 3ème Homme
    Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
    Salvatore Ferragamo F Pour Homme Black
    Currently wearing: Pasha Parfum by Cartier

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I think it is! Easy to go noseblind to, however.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

I like it. Mine was purchased less than a year ago. I love fougeres and this is kind of a more "modern" alternative to my traditional "old style" wet shaver scents. It's a bit more fresh-ish and "bracing" with more attitude.

I find it slightly lacking in the longevity department but:

a- I have a denser nose than many
    b- See Varanis note above
    Between Covid and retirement I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I think it still is.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

My bottle is a few years old but I have tried egoiste in stores various times this year.
    For me it doesnt justify the price tag because it is gone after 30 minutes which is very sad. It did however last longer on my friend but quickly became a skin scent even on him.
    Cannot compare with the vintage formulas but I really love the scent nevertheless.

Edit: sorry i am refering to Egoiste (not platinum) my bad :/
    Last edited by samcherr; 3rd May 2021 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    I sampled it a few months ago and thought it was harsh. I wore it a lot in the 90s and remember it being a lot smoother. I like LV Meteore as an upgrade to it.
    That's same reaction that I had when I tried the juice from 7 years ago. Didn't care for it although I'd be interested in trying the original formulation from the 1990s.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Onwed a few years ago the vintage 75ml splash edt version which was superb and very strong.
    Own now a square-shaped modern 2014/15 bottle which is very ok but pretty different compared to what it once was......
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

I've worn it a lot recently and have been enjoying it. I find it offers a nice mix of out of the shower freshness and outdoorsy greens/florals. The galbanum does make it a bit sharp, but once things settle it's not overly piercing. And I've had no problems with longevity - yesterday I put on one spray to the chest and 5+ hours later I was at an outdoor brewery and still getting strong wafts.

Some other things I reach for in similar moods:

Rogue's Fougere L'Aube - this offers more of a morning air freshness than an out of the shower freshness. The galbanum is still present and sharp, but the fragrance settles into a creamy sandalwood.

Creed's Green Irish Tweed - Having grown up in the 90s, both this and platinum egoiste induce some pleasant nostalgia. GIT goes for a more mellow, laid back feel than the sporty, invigorating PE.

Although in many ways I like these more than PE, I've been reaching for PE so much because it has less of a "I'm wearing some perfume" vibe - with light use the scent almost feels like it could be the byproduct of a good grooming routine. Also, it's been quite hot in NC so the extra freshness is appreciated.
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

From a personal viewpoint alone, still good both as fragrance and regarding its performance
    Currently wearing: L'Occitan by L'Occitane

My bottle is from 2015, I wore it yesterday and got strong wafts for 10+ hours. I sampled a bottle not long ago at my local department store and it seemed to smell the same and lingered on the tester strip for quite a long while. If you've owned a bottle anytime in the last decade you'll probably find its the same. Can't speak about how it compares to the 90s though
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Basenotes Institution

Platinum Egoiste and Egoiste are still pretty good IMO.

It seems general consensus is that Chanel does better than most houses in terms of preserving the character and quality of their scents regardless of reformulation, restricted ingredients, etc., right? I must say I'm almost curious enough to go spray a tester of Platinum Egoiste at Sephora this afternoon.

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Dunhill for Men (1934)

Sampled and bought both of these at the weekend. Longevity was 6+ hours for both. Egoiste lasted longer and projected better than Platinum.

The Chanel woman said they were selling a lot of Egoiste to the younger crowd recently, which I found really strange!
    Please see my "wanted partials"
    Currently wearing: Herod by Parfums de Marly

Managed to get hold of a sample of the vintage last year (thanks to a generous Basenoter) and currently own the modern version as well.

The current stuff is definitely the same scent under the bonnet, but it has been toned down. It's not watered down by any means, but the whole aggressive and punchy nature of the vintage is gone. It is now much tamer and softer, but it still projects well and lasts more than a working day for me. All in all, I wear my my current version so I think that speaks a lot.

I bought the current version after sampling this week. For me, I agree with rum in that the topnotes seemed less punchy than I recall, but the heart and base are fantastic, and I don't mind a little less nose-piercing opening. I read sometimes how generic this one is, but there aren't many designers that have hit the market in the last decade with a base so perfectly woody and finely-tuned. The drydown is where I see some resemblance to the GIT batches of about a decade ago when the sandalwood they used was better (and this is certainly where it most clearly separates itself from its fresh fougere brethren IMO).
    Last edited by TRBeck; 7th May 2021 at 05:20 PM.

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Dunhill for Men (1934)

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    The Chanel woman said they were selling a lot of Egoiste to the younger crowd recently, which I found really strange!
    Well that is perplexing. I'd expect Blue de Chanel and the Allure Homme line to sell well to the younger crowd, but certainly not Egoiste. If this is accurate for Chanel as a whole and not just her anecdotal experience then this is quite the positive trend!
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    I read sometimes how generic this one is, but there aren't many designers that have hit the market in the last decade with a base so perfectly woody and finely-tuned
    I hear generic tossed around a fair bit as well and I think its off base. Maybe what they mean to say is agreeable. Its a very safe woody fougere because its so well blended and balanced. Its hard to imagine anyone being put off by the smell. I get bored of it if I wear it too often but once every two weeks or so in the spring/early summer leaves me feeling very pleased every time I wear it.

A friend of mine was wearing it the other day and it smelled fantastic -grest projection too.
    He had applied it hours earlier and it smelled quite potent

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolScents View Post
    I hear generic tossed around a fair bit as well and I think its off base. Maybe what they mean to say is agreeable. Its a very safe woody fougere because its so well blended and balanced. Its hard to imagine anyone being put off by the smell. I get bored of it if I wear it too often but once every two weeks or so in the spring/early summer leaves me feeling very pleased every time I wear it.
    Agreeable is a better - and more accurate - word. I can see what you’re saying about getting bored, but I think it’s a great scent to have as part of even a smallish rotation.

Current Favorites:

Wearing this one again today. It's just impossible not to smile on a glorious spring morning with this stuff on. It's such a perfect marriage of the best parts of the fresh fougere genre and Polge's sandalwood accord. There are more challenging frags, better barbershops, nicer lavender notes, fresher freshies, etc., but this pulls together so many strands so beautifully.

I don't need to be challenged by my perfume today; I just need it to smell good, and this one does.

Current Favorites:

I think it's a great scent actually . What's there not to like?
    Chanel fragrances for the most part always deliver the goods