Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Common Lackey

Default Re: Fragrances that make you think of other Basenoters when you wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    Just a couple among many, Cookbot's passion for Eau d'Hermes pushed me to blind buy a 200ml copper top, one of my best acquisition. I knew I'd love it but it just blew my mind.
    I can hardly even express how happy that makes me.

Default Re: Fragrances that make you think of other Basenoters when you wear them.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    OMG, I was around for rediscovery of Scent of Oger. That was a moment in Creed BN history.

DULLAH got me started on clothing application to preserve the delicate rose note, which my skin eats, in original Windsor. A great BNer!

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    This list could pretty much be endless for me. So many of the things I have are directly due to learning about them here, and there’s usually one or two people that come to mind when I think of most of my fragrances.

Creed Vetiver 1948 - jazznpool
    Creed Selection Verte - jazznpool
    Creed Bois de Santal - Manuel
    Creed Windsor - DULLAH
    Creed Vintage Tabarome - jazznpool
    Creed Angelique Encens - jazznpool
    Creed Citrus Bigarrade - jazznpool
    Creed Santal Imperial - Sjohnjay
    Creed Scent of Oger - N CAL Fragrance Reviewer
    Vintage Gucci Pour Homme - xmen
    Cereus #14 - silentrich
    C&E Extract of Mysore Sandalwood - Jack Hunter
    Dunhill Blend 30 - bhanny
    Tiffany for Men - FSU92grad
    Franck Boclet Tobacco - CT3
    Floris Vetiver - jazznpool
    Nasomatto Pardon - Jcelello
    Pure Havane - Buysblind
    Cereus #4 - DULLAH
    Dior Homme Intense - Sjohnjay
    YSL M7 - heperd
    Guerlain Philtre d’Amour - jazznpool
    Burberry London - hednic
    Patou Pour Homme - strifeknot
    Patou Pour Homme Prive - acjigga
    Murdock Black Tea - Jack Hunter
    Hermes Equipage (vintage) - Mudassir
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress - naylor
    Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir - purecaramel
    If I recalled Dullah was one of the few who had a massive stash of Windsor 2009. He also was one of the fewer owners of Creed Verveine Narcisse.

Scent of Oger was one of the best creations by Creed to my nose.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    If I recalled Dullah was one of the few who had a massive stash of Windsor 2009.
    Yes, he bought 4 flacons of Windsor 2009, which was pretty amazing considering only 70 were (allegedly) made. All the flacons were signed by Olivier Creed.

What's even more amazing, looking back on it, was the 2009 Windsor flacons were "only" $605.00 back then. Of course, we thought that was high back then, and I suppose it was. But it sure makes you pause when you think of Creed prices today. A common, everyday 3.3 oz bottle of Viking retails for $500.00.

Scent of Oger was one of the best creations by Creed to my nose.
    Well, I know WE like it a lot, and it's certainly quite rare (as only 200 flacons were made). Scent of Oger, with its citrus and potpourri, is one of the most delightful and gentle scents I've smelled.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Between two pine trees

This is such a fantastic thread. Thank you, VR.

In my wardrobe:
    teardrop -- Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia, which she encouraged me to try despite my struggles with gardenia
    Quarry -- Jaisalmer and Cadjmere
    Ineespenes -- Daim Blond because she's one of the few people besides me who loves it; and Journey Woman, which I blind bought based in part on assurances I'd love it from her, teardrop, and khanada (they were right)!
    Jon Rodgers -- Arquiste Aleksandr, TDC Adjatay, and our recent fast-grab of Onda Parfum Extrait
    cello -- the gorgeous, criminally discontinued Ava Luxe No. 23.
    kewart -- Visa
    donna255 -- vintage Halston parfum
    tdem1961 -- Cinéma
    freewheelingvagabond -- Vert des Bois because we might be the only two people who think it's the best of Tom Ford's Vert series
    NCal -- Tihota, which I bought thanks to the pass he organized
    Trilby Lark -- Grand Soir
    Cook.bot -- every Parfum d'Empire I own (but especially Corsica Furiosa)
    mikeperez -- Musk Khabib
    foxbins -- Carolina Herrera, MAAI, Salome, and, thanks to the Chicago meet-up, Cuir Cannage (which we split), Delina Exclusif (we bought our Delinas at the same time at Nordstrom), and Hermèssence Cèdre Sambac
    Robin-in-FL Frapin 1270

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Well, I know WE like it a lot, and it's certainly quite rare (as only 200 flacons were made). Scent of Oger, with its citrus and potpourri, is one of the most delightful and gentle scents I've smelled.
    I don't get too much of potpourri but more of the citrus. It reminds me of a traditional Eau de Cologne scent, performance is surprisingly good.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Knightsbridge - Jon Rodgers
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

In the best possible way, I can say I'm thankful I don't wear a single fragrance that makes me think of a basenoter. That's not out of any 'shade' or anything like that, rather I was always looking for a small collection of scents that felt like me and were personal to me, sans any other related influence, whether that be time, place, emotion/mood, or person, to the extent that that is possible.

There are some fragrances I've sampled where I'll associate them with a person. Danny Mitchell's love for Polo, for example. It's more common that I have a negative association with a fragrance and user though, for the most part because if I dislike a fragrance I won't spend too much time trying/wearing it. Therefore most of what I associate with the fragrance is going to be what I read online, rather than through my own wearing. This applies more to fragrantica than basenotes though as it's where I spent most of my time trying to find fragrances.

So maybe there's some kind of correlation between the amount of time spent wearing a fragrance and the extent to which we associate that fragrance with other people?
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    So maybe there's some kind of correlation between the amount of time spent wearing a fragrance and the extent to which we associate that fragrance with other people?
    Perhaps for you, but likely a variable function depending upon our personal algos. I associate many if not most of my fragrances with other people here - even current and old signature scents, but also things I wore once or twice.

For me it seems to be simply a function of the level of interaction over a fragrance or brand during key times or moments. I will likely associate you with my D&G the one for men EDT.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Wanted Girl by Azzaro

I'm with Redneck Perfumisto here - I think it depends less on how much have you worn the fragrance, it's more about conversations and interactions with people you made, and how it stuck with you. It's a wild guess and I'm not necessarily right, but I think it's more common to link things with other people for more emotional people in the Thinking/Feeling dichotomy.

For example, I have over 75 logged wears of Black Opium under my belt (and more in reality) and some people associate it with me, but I still remember that Redneck Perfumisto likes it, too, and both Trilby Lark and Rick&Beth also enjoys wearing it from time to time.
    Or I have over 50 wears of Narciso Rodriguez For Her and I feel like it's "mine", and it still warms my heart knowing that it's the scent that got ineespenes into Basenotes, and that Bavard enjoyed it too on his significant other, and many others like it, too.
    And however many times I will wear Samsara (only 25-ish right now), I will remember it's the ultimate cozy "I'm at home" scent for teardrop.
    And however much I am obsessed with Shalimar and flankers myself, it's good to remember how much tdem loves it, and the beautiful reviews by Miss Hesta Jones.
    And when I pick up my Angel Muse sample, I will remember how much Quarry and Fiveoaks enjoy it, too.
    And when I was gifted a travel spray of Avon Today, everytime I wore it I chuckled to myself "Varanis Ridari would approve".
    And so on.
    And these little things make me feel warm inside. It does not make my own wearing of those scents less authentic for me.
    Currently wearing: Escape by Calvin Klein

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Well said, ClockworkAlice! It's a very "feely" thing! And I'm that way on Avon, too! I remember the Avon Lady when I was a child - and VR!

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    NCal -- Tihota, which I bought thanks to the pass he organized
    Glad I made your believer in this scent. One of the vanilla scents ever!

When it comes to Tihota, I think of Vernona. She was the one who enabled me to go out on a binge for seeking out vanilla based scents.

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    This is such a fantastic thread. Thank you, VR.

foxbins -- Carolina Herrera, MAAI, Salome, and, thanks to the Chicago meet-up, Cuir Cannage (which we split), Delina Exclusif (we bought our Delinas at the same time at Nordstrom), and Hermèssence Cèdre Sambac
    I remember that; you two got the last bottle! Might I add that it was fun running into you first (outside of Merz) that day, ExtremeK!
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Glad I made your believer in this scent. One of the vanilla scents ever!

When it comes to Tihota, I think of Vernona. She was the one who enabled me to go out on a binge for seeking out vanilla based scents.
    That’s how I remember Vernona, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    And however much I am obsessed with Shalimar and flankers myself, it's good to remember how much tdem loves it, and the beautiful reviews by Miss Hesta Jones.
    Yup. Shalimar also makes me think of tdem and Miss Hesta Jones. Miss Hesta was so instrumental throughout my Shalimar Descendents research project.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Juxtapozbliss View Post
    Oud Dude--Slumberhouse Brosse
    This is especially funny because every time I think of Brosse I remember that you have a 100ml bottle that I'd die for! I also think of you anytime SIXTEEN92 scents come up. I have two people in my life who wear them and there's that immediate association.

Here are some others:
    Any of the Roja Aouds: wood&leather
    Habit Rouge: Darvant
    MEM: Proust_Madeleine (actually just Bogue in general)
    Bal à Versailles AND Rien: le mouchoir de monsieur
    Egoiste: N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer
    And of course,
    Genghis Khan: Hednic
    Currently wearing: Musk Aoud by Roja Dove

Funky fresh

Adding a few more from my wardrobe:

CdG Vettiveru -> Mikeperez
    Corsica Furiosa, Z-14, Declaration -> More Cook.bot
    Jicky -> Primrose
    Futuros -> hednic
    Carven Le Vetiver -> Megamav
    Pasha & RL Safari -> tspencer
    Feu Secret, Idole de Lubin, Ambre Sultan -> More Iso
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Perhaps for you, but likely a variable function depending upon our personal algos. I associate many if not most of my fragrances with other people here - even current and old signature scents, but also things I wore once or twice.

For me it seems to be simply a function of the level of interaction over a fragrance or brand during key times or moments. I will likely associate you with my D&G the one for men EDT.
    I take your point but I don't think we're disagreeing. The connection to another person depends on how much we read online v. how much we wear it. Even if one is to wear something 1000 times, if they're also on a forum for a decade, let's say, and regularly come to read another user discussing/praising a fragrance, that connection between fragrance and user will also occur. Almost like a psychological three-way between you, the fragrance, and then another user online haha! If there's a heavy weighting towards wearing v reading then the connection to someone else will be weaker; the inverse, and the connection another user will be greater.

If there's a subtext to the reference to 'The One' I'm afraid I've missed it!

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I always think of Speckmann0706 and The Cologne Cabinet when I wear Azzaro pour Homme.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Corsica Furiosa, Z-14, Declaration -> More Cook.bot
    I'm detecting a pattern here: with the exception of Bottega Veneta, almost every scent that anyone associates with me is a men's fragrance. Hmmm....

Funky fresh

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I'm detecting a pattern here: with the exception of Bottega Veneta, almost every scent that anyone associates with me is a men's fragrance. Hmmm....
    Well, there is also “green chypres generally” for me, including and especially C19.

And Roudnitskas...EdH, but also very much Diorella.

You are popular in my ‘drobe!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Well, there is also “green chypres generally” for me, including and especially C19.

And Roudnitskas...EdH, but also very much Diorella.

You are popular in my ‘drobe!
    Seconded. I most closely connect Cook.bot with Sycomore and all things Roudnitska, especially Diorella.

I take your point but I don't think we're disagreeing. The connection to another person depends on how much we read online v. how much we wear it. Even if one is to wear something 1000 times, if they're also on a forum for a decade, let's say, and regularly come to read another user discussing/praising a fragrance, that connection between fragrance and user will also occur. Almost like a psychological three-way between you, the fragrance, and then another user online haha! If there's a heavy weighting towards wearing v reading then the connection to someone else will be weaker; the inverse, and the connection another user will be greater.

Eh, I don't know.
    When you wear something, you wear it for the whole day (or half of it), when you read someone praising a scent, it's for 5 minutes max.
    I still think it's about the feels the most, and how much you appreciate the members here. If you don't think about people here much at all, it's fine, it's just a forum after all, one of the many. But if you do, this is the thread to celebrate it

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

No subtext! Although that is my "one" D&G fragrance, pretty much! LOL.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kotori View Post
    Seconded. I most closely connect Cook.bot with Sycomore and all things Roudnitska, especially Diorella.
    Me, too.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

When I wear Windjammer (1968), I think of Masonjarjar. Speaking of which, haven't seen him around in a bit!
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

No subtext! Although that is my "one" D&G fragrance, pretty much! LOL.
    I have absolutely no idea how that has occurred haha. I wore The One Gentleman for years, more frequently than I did The One, but I won't question it!

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Eh, I don't know.
    When you wear something, you wear it for the whole day (or half of it), when you read someone praising a scent, it's for 5 minutes max.
    I still think it's about the feels the most, and how much you appreciate the members here. If you don't think about people here much at all, it's fine, it's just a forum after all, one of the many. But if you do, this is the thread to celebrate it
    Yes, maybe you're on to something as well. I do still think you're not actually disagreeing with my point though. Time spent isn't just the time taken to read the praise, it's how long the praise lingers in your mind - if you see someone commenting favourably towards a scent 3-4 times, which might take only a few months of forum use, then you're naturally going to associate it with them. The 'time' in that sense isn't measured simply in the time spent reading, it's the time spent reading and thinking, I suppose. Revisiting is part of that - the length of time on the forum is perhaps a better way of putting it but it doesn't really make room for regular visits and so on. In any case, I think we ALL know the power of emotional association that fragrances play and that's probably what's really going on here. If you wear something infrequently then you'll naturally have scent memories linked to specific and limited periods of time, events, and so on. Whereas there's no limit to the amount of time one can develop the 'user association', if you see what I mean. Particularly if your first introduction to the fragrance was via that user - if you're prone to daydreaming about fragrances (!) then it's no great leap to see how one can develop and reinforce that association that was formed through reading basenotes. Particularly as our brain is in a reduced form when engaging online; we need to take time away from screens to fully process the information and neurological 'experience' of screen use, so it makes sense if your mind wanders on to these topics from time to time. In the most basic sense, something like seeing an advert for the scent could be another mental association that fuses the scent to the user (and, in turn, basenotes). I don't think fragrances work in quite the same way as they're much less cerebral and more simple in a sensory sort of way. The 'user' association is one that combines visual memory, the written word, and so on. Scent memories aren't as multifaceted nor are they as intellectual as the former. Anyway, labouring the point now!\

Slpfrsly - you put it really well, I cannot even disagree at this point

Funky fresh

Here are two with sort of off the wall reasons:

Givenchy Pi Air - Redneck, because I associate him modern synths, and he seems to find value where many others don’t. He may have posted something nice about it at some point, but it’s more of a category association that stuck itself to this scent.

Azzaro Visit and Jacomo Aura- VR, because he unearths and values forgotten early aughts fixtures that nobody talks about.

I associate fragrances with people I interact with in person, so the scent-person connection is made in a first hand olfactory way.

I don’t think of Basenoters when I wear fragrances though; I associate fragrances with Basenoters that speak often and enthusiastically, good or bad, about them or who wear them often

Man of the World - Halfeti / Fahrenheit / Nasomattos

Rum - Chanel PM / Bel Ami / TdH

wilfred - Aventus / Acqua Wood / most anything modern effervescent citrus

Ifty - Worth PH

Jack Hunter - Lauder For Men

tspencer - Clubman / Old Spice / Pheonix Accoutrements

Jowan - Aventus / Noir Anthracite / only other guy I know who wears Armani Attitude

Sunnyfunny - Tabac Blond

LHomme - Castile

Our one and only resident Hyena - Gengis Khan / Aramis

Darvant - Fendi Uomo / Classics from Italia

NCal - Old/vintage Creed

purecaramel - Bugatti / Aigner / animalics
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Boss Number One (current version)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir (vintage) / Pour Monsieur
    Heritage EdT (all versions) / Incident Diplomatique / Halfeti
    Bright Neroli / EL / Jubilation Man / Cool Water (vintage)

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Here are two with sort of off the wall reasons:

Givenchy Pi Air - Redneck, because I associate him modern synths, and he seems to find value where many others don’t. He may have posted something nice about it at some point, but it’s more of a category association that stuck itself to this scent.

Hahaha! I would snap up a bottle of this one gladly, never having smelled it! And I think I did perk up when this was mentioned years ago!!! I love Pi Neo - very open on Pi Flankers!

Funny, too - I was just googling "YSL Jazz" because of a vintage bottle question, and numerous pics of Live Jazz came up. I was saying "Must buy!" Obvious who I associate with this one!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast