Code of Conduct

Default Scents/Flavors you enjoy in general, and how they relate to fragrance choices

I thought it would be fun to discuss scents and flavors we enjoy generally, in food or in the ambient environment, and how those relate to our fragrance choices. What are your favorite aromas generally? Favorite foods? Do you find this translates well into fragrances you like to wear? Are there scents you enjoy in life but not in fragrance (or at least not in fragrances you'd wear personally?

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Scents/Flavors you enjoy in general, and how they relate to fragrance choices

I think perfumes are different from the smells I normally consider favorites, such as baking bread and burning wood. First and foremost, perfumes smell like perfume to me, much more than they smell like actual flowers, or leather, etc.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Scents/Flavors you enjoy in general, and how they relate to fragrance choices

I have ZERO desire to smell like any food products, but I do love the smell of horses and would happily wear a scent that actually smelled like them. (Which is no doubt part of why I love CdR.)

Interestingggg, I don't think there is much conscious overlap for me, but certainly there must be some subconscious influence. The food smells you grow up with and appreciate might turn your nose onto a particular scent profile that could affect your taste in perfume.

One thing I can think of is that in cuisine, as in most art and design, I prefer very simple and direct but well executed things. I love Japanese cuisine for the perfect balance of a few ingredients, but the preparation and quality of each ingredient is incredibly important. By the same token, I could say I appreciate that approach in perfume.

My heritage is Norwegian and they put cardamom in a lot of desserts which reminds me of Christmas, so scents that use cardamon do give me a warm nostalgic feel.

But on the other hand, I have a bit of a sweet tooth, particularly anything from a French bakery. But, I really don't like sweet fragrances and wouldn't wear anything that reminds me of baked goods.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Good point, I don't know why my mind went to food only but you're right other smells associated with happiness/good memories or your hobbies could also influence perfumes you like. I'm actually a sucker for sun tan lotion neroli notes, just reminds me of happy summer times. Frederic Malle Cologne Indelible and Le Labo Neroli do this for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I have ZERO desire to smell like any food products, but I do love the smell of horses and would happily wear a scent that actually smelled like them. (Which is no doubt part of why I love CdR.)
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

The flowers I enjoy smelling translate into the perfumes I love i.e.
    lavender, heliotrope, roses, lilies etc.
    I suppose the fact that I enjoy rich, ripe fruity scents (Mauboussin, Visa,
    Feminite de Bois, Le Parfume de Therese) reflect the fact that I am fond of
    plums, peaches and cherries as foods.
    I grew up around horses and definitely enjoy soft, leather scents.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.
    Currently wearing: Mauboussin by Mauboussin

I enjoy the smell of aromatic plants (e.g. artemisia, pelargonium, rosemary), and I also enjoy scents featuring aromatics, such as Yatagan, Etro Gomma, Quorum, etc.
    Other aromatic plants I like, such as rue, tansy, and bog myrtle are not usually found in perfume (or food), for various reasons (toxicity, for instance).

Generally, I don't enjoy scents that smell of food, sweet or savoury.
    Although heliotrope is a sometimes favourite note, and can smell like almond or cherry.

Incense/churches : yes, both as ambient smell and as perfume note. And wood/peatfire smoke.

ETA : sheep, but not as a perfume. When you work with them, you can't get the smell off; no need for a scent.
    Fresh sweat. But not the BO aspect of cumin notes in scent.
    Summer is here : greens, vetiver, aromatics. Selecting from : Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT; Guerlain Vetiver, Etro Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Knize Sec; Caron Yatagan; . Evening : Etro Ambra, Etro Shaal Nur; Knize Ten, Penhaligon's Elixir.

Wow, great answers so far! There's far too much to say about my tastes to get into one post, but to me there is definite overlap. A couple people mentioned the smell of horses and equestrian gear. I am the same on those. Horses just smell so good for some unexplained reason. If you could bottle the scent of horse breath, I'd wear it. Lol. Notes of oats and alfalfa...

The aromas and flavors of certain foods, drinks, and other consumables I love translate into fragrances I enjoy, while others don't. Coffee, chocolate, cigar tobacco, vanilla, coconut, dark rum, Islay Scotch - yes to all of those. Oh the other hand, though I love brown "Christmasy" spices in foods, I generally find them off-putting in fragrances. Green herbs and other spices I love to cook with could go either way in a fragrance, depending on how it is paired with other notes. Fruits are also tricky.

Smells associated with activities also translate well for me. I love backpacking in the mountains and sailing, so anything with evergreen forest or (accurate smelling) marine vibes I tend to enjoy.

Then there are just the random smells I love in life and fragrance - leather, oud, campfire smoke, incense, petroleum smells, certain florals like jasmine. I also love that much discussed "makeup-y" iris smell.

A few main categories that include but are not limited to:

citrus- mostly classic designer and niche citruses like ADP Colonia, Armani Eau pour Homme

lavender- Caron pur un Homme, l'Occitane to name only a few

exotic spices- their moderately sweet renditions in gourmands like Eau des Baux, a few vintage Lutens and Lubin EDPs

florals like jasmine- especially the one in male classic like Eau Sauvage, One Man Show, Derby

earthy herbs and resins- Horizon by Guy Laroche, Van Cleef&ArpelsPH, Knize Forest among many others

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by philosophe View Post
    What are your favorite aromas generally?
    I enjoy non typical tropical fruit aromas.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I enjoy non typical tropical fruit aromas.
    Durian?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Durian?
    Those found in Brazil.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't think there's a pattern for me. I enjoy food, but dislike perfumes that remind me of food, sweet or savoury.

I love the smell of nature and botanicals, and enjoy green scents as well as animalics. On the other hand, while I love the smell of wood smoke in the air, I don't enjoy it on my skin. I dislike the smell of salty sea water, and dislike it in perfumes as well. I can't really see a correlation, tbh.
    Currently wearing: No. 19 by Chanel

Here's a weird, random one--the scent of 3-in-one machine oil. The ever useful little tin bottle was always in my dad's shop growing up and I always have a bottle around myself. I remember once working the drill press to make some bolt holes in some angle iron brackets for our deck joists. Used 3-in-one to cool the bit, and the vapor from the oil went everywhere. I smelled like it all day, and I love that smell. Probably carcinogenic, but hey, you only live once. If there is a fragrance that mimics this, I need to know.

There are some smells I like (some foods, wood burning, cut grass) but I wouldn’t want to smell like them especially food (I don’t like gourmands for instance). The closest would be my favorite flowers or some nature smells but they are already well represented in fragrances (beach/ocean, forest) and are often an interpretation. My only exception would probably be the warm smell of my pets fur, you know when you dig your nose into their neck. Not sure I would like to smell like that but to be able to smell it at will would be very comforting.

Special mention to the inside skin of the ears of long-eared dogs for my most comforting smell ever (childhood memory). My mum found it gross but let me do it (she told me when I was in my 20’s).

The funny thing is that although I love fragrances as in edt, edp, etc I will avoid scented products in general: home scents, laundry products, etc even body products. I like a no smell house, well as much as you can.
    Currently wearing: Classic Chypre by Esteban

As for perfumes, my most beloved fragrance types are citruses, orientals, gourmands, woody scents, leathers and incenses. And I guess I like a nice powdery scent, too, at least my wardrobe's contents tell me so, so I must finally admit it.
    I struggle with many aquatic, green, floral and aromatic scents in perfumery, but I am not opposed to these scents in real life at all, maybe I just don't want to smell of them.
    Just like I adore the scent and taste of fried chicken, baked potatoes and lightly sauteed onions and garlic, mmmmm, it's divine. I do not want a perfume that smells like that! A home scent though...

As for flowers, well of course I like flower scents, they're nice, but not that much as these foody or woody smells. But I love the smell of lilacs, I guess it's my favourite flower smell-wise in real world. My actual favourite flowers (tulip, narcissus/daffodil and orchid) don't have any smell though.

In real life, I am really drawn to citrusy smells, I adore them all, they make me so happy, and I also adore baking spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, cacao and scents of beverages: coffee, coffee with milk, cacao, hot chocolate, black tea, mulled wine... Also all piney scents: pine, spruce, fir, foresty scents (NOT moss or galbanum though, I mean the scent of needles and resins). They're definitely my favourites both as real-life scents and perfumes. I guess it translates to Christmas-y scents. (Yes, I have associated tangerine scent with Christmas since my childhood, too, as they would appear in stores just before Christmas when I was a kid.) I'm not a very festive person, but Christmas smells bring me to my happy place

As for non-edible and non-Christmasy scents, I really enjoy the scent of petrichor, the smell of the rain and of wet asphalt. I dislike aquatics that could be associated with these, but I love Bvlgari Black that kinda delivers that asphalt smell in a very cozy way. I also really love the scent of leather. I wear leather jackets a lot, and it's definitely an amazing scent to me. I do enjoy leathery scents in perfumes, too.
    Also woody scents. Both my father and my grandfather liked working with wood in their spare time, and the smell of fresh planks or sawdust or a new wooden table is just so comforting to me.
    I also love the smell of cat fur, and I guess it kind of resonates in Narciso Rodriguez musks a bit to me.
    There's something cozy in that smog scent you get in the winter when people who live in old houses heat them with coal or wood. I always get nostalgic when I smell it. Maybe it translates in my love for smoky scents like incenses, also said Bvlgari Black and Shalimars. Especially Black and Shalimars, because they mix that smokiness with vanilla, so I can get my grandparents house in winter and grandma's cookies all at once.

I must go and sniff everything in my collection again, I got nostalgic.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post

In real life, I am really drawn to citrusy smells, I adore them all, they make me so happy, and I also adore baking spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, cacao and scents of beverages: coffee, coffee with milk, cacao, hot chocolate, black tea, mulled wine... Also all piney scents: pine, spruce, fir, foresty scents (NOT moss or galbanum though, I mean the scent of needles and resins). They're definitely my favourites both as real-life scents and perfumes. I guess it translates to Christmas-y scents. (Yes, I have associated tangerine scent with Christmas since my childhood, too, as they would appear in stores just before Christmas when I was a kid.) I'm not a very festive person, but Christmas smells bring me to my happy place
    That's interesting. Like I was saying, there are some Christmas spices I love to smell in food but not so much in my own fragrance. I also love to eat and smell citrus fruit, but though I do like that note in fragrance, I'm not generally a fan of heavily citrus based scents. Anything evergreen, though, is wonderful in both life and fragrance.

As for non-edible and non-Christmasy scents, I really enjoy the scent of petrichor, the smell of the rain and of wet asphalt.
    Ooh that's another good one I forgot to list. The smell of rain in the air and on the soil.

Both my father and my grandfather liked working with wood in their spare time, and the smell of fresh planks or sawdust or a new wooden table is just so comforting to me.
    With you there. I love both softwood and hardwood smells, but I don't think the latter is well represented in fragrance. I've never seen a note of walnut or mahogany mentioned. Cedar they have covered.

I must go and sniff everything in my collection again, I got nostalgic.
    Haha! My job here is done.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Here's a weird, random one--the scent of 3-in-one machine oil. The ever useful little tin bottle was always in my dad's shop growing up and I always have a bottle around myself. I remember once working the drill press to make some bolt holes in some angle iron brackets for our deck joists. Used 3-in-one to cool the bit, and the vapor from the oil went everywhere. I smelled like it all day, and I love that smell. Probably carcinogenic, but hey, you only live once. If there is a fragrance that mimics this, I need to know.
    Bel Ami, especially the earlier bottles (that are harder to find) smell quite a bit like 3-in-1 oil (or just diesel / No. 2 fuel oil). Another Basenoter thinks Fahrenheit does a decent approximation, but I don't really see it.

Yeah I don't get machine oil from Fahrenheit either, though I do love it. A bit more of a pungent gasoline note from the violet leaf rather than the round, smooth type of oil note.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Oh, yeah--me too! I also adore the smell of leaded gasoline, solder, spray paint, and all kinds of really toxic material. Those enormous black markers we used in grade school smelled divine and probably killed off many of my brain cells.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    I do love the smell of horses and would happily wear a scent that actually smelled like them. (Which is no doubt part of why I love CdR.)
    A couple people mentioned the smell of horses and equestrian gear. I am the same on those. Horses just smell so good for some unexplained reason. If you could bottle the scent of horse breath, I'd wear it. Lol. Notes of oats and alfalfa...
    You both need to sniff Arabian Horse by Parfumerie Generale. The scent of the animal's skin and hair, the leather tack, and the hay as it both enters and exits the animal itself. So realistic that it's almost alarming.

https://www.basenotes.net/ID26140448.html

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    My heritage is Norwegian and they put cardamom in a lot of desserts which reminds me of Christmas, so scents that use cardamon do give me a warm nostalgic feel.
    Might be something genetic in that? I too am Scandinavian (Danish), though I've never been to those countries, and I'm drawn to any perfume or food that smells of cardamom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You both need to sniff Arabian Horse by Parfumerie Generale. The scent of the animal's skin and hair, the leather tack, and the hay as it both enters and exits the animal itself. So realistic that it's almost alarming.

https://www.basenotes.net/ID26140448.html

Might be something genetic in that? I too am Scandinavian (Danish), though I've never been to those countries, and I'm drawn to any perfume or food that smells of cardamom.
    Arabian Horse sounds wonderful. I'll have to find a decant.

Some favorite olfactory sensations:

The cardboard sleeve of R.E.M.'s Monster CD = Umm, something CdG might do, lol?
    Freshly cut pine and spruce = Pino Silvestre, Agua Brava
    Sawn timber = Tam Dao EdT, Memoir Man
    Turpentine and tar = Hopefully SNM's Peau d'Espagne
    Gasoline = Fahrenheit
    Traditional Finnish sauna = A hybrid of CdG Zagorsk, Hinoki and Black (well, with a little imagination)
    Spray less, love more.

Basenotes Plus

I really love the smell of fabric softener and dryer sheets in the house and what I can best describe as 'hotel scents' and spa scents. However I wouldn't want to wear any of these as a perfume. My perfume choices are all over the map and honestly depends on my mood.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944

Basenotes Plus

Interesting topic, but I haven't noticed a correlation between food tastes and scents that I enjoy wearing. My taste in food is very broad, and I suppose I'm pickier with my scents than I am with food.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I really love the smell of fabric softener and dryer sheets in the house and what I can best describe as 'hotel scents' and spa scents. However I wouldn't want to wear any of these as a perfume. My perfume choices are all over the map and honestly depends on my mood.
    You know, one scent that reminds me of the "dryer sheet vibe" is JHAG Not a Perfume. I read that detergents and dryer sheets sometimes contain Cetalox, which is the single note from NaP. That would certainly explain the connection. I really like the scent. A soft musk that smells like clean skin or clean linen.