Code of Conduct

Default A fine fragrance production supervisor answers questions on Reddit

So I just stumbled upon an AMA (Ask Me Anything) thread in reddit where a fine fragrance production supervisor in one of the big companies (he didn't specify, but think Givaudan, IFF, Firmenich) is answering various questions about his work. The new question submission is now closed, but there are some very interesting information anyway, so I thought I'd share.

What are your impressions? Did you find anything shocking or just basically new to you? Do you have something else to add to conversation? Share it here.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: A fine fragrance production supervisor answers questions on Reddit

Thanks for sharing. I found it interesting the response to the question, "What percentage of the business handles fine perfumery vs. other commercial product fragrance/flavoring?"
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I don't have a Reddit so I can only see like the first 5 replies lol
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    Oh, that's a shame. Didn't think of that.

Basenotes Plus

$2-$5 is the actual cost of the juice and they're 80-100% synthetic.

I'll head back to my snobby artisanal corner, thank you very much.
    Do you even niche and/or artisanal?
    Currently wearing: Kiste by Slumberhouse

Very interesting, thanks a lot Clockwork!
    I also don‘t have a reddit, but can somehow read everything?
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin

Thank you for sharing.
    While having missed the discussion and therefore the possibility to add something on the thread posted, have the sensation of always learning something new while reading many of the posts, especially about the apparently simplest and logical yet so intricate, ingenious technicalities/details of creating, crafting, manufacturing perfume.

Thanks Alice! Interesting thread in Reddit. The guy is educated, but not a "perfumer," marketing person or particularly enamored with scents (aka fraghead).

He wears some stuff he gets from the factory but doesn't know what the trade name is; he only knows their internal code number. LOL

Just a guy with a job in a fragrance factory.

Not really any very surprising information that most of us were not aware of. (Huge markups, everyone uses same ingredients, they use tons of ISO E Super). But I found it a tad surprising he was adamant that frags spoil and should be refrigerated. I've been at this here for over 11 years and never had anything go off with minimal attention paid to storage conditions. Plus still have some Creeds I got in the 90s...
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Interesting thread. The details about variability of ingredients were interesting, and confirm what many have probably already smelled themselves

3001046B-0417-48E4-8E4D-41277B004CA9.jpg
    ďI have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplationĒ - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Iím not old, Iím vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    Try this:

https://old.reddit.com/r/fragrance/c...on_supervisor/

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Thanks a ton! I didn't want another social media platform just to read some stuff.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    $2-$5 is the actual cost of the juice and they're 80-100% synthetic.
    This is why brands ultimately make a profit even when their wares end up at discounters.

Iím not old, Iím vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    This is why brands ultimately make a profit even when their wares end up at discounters.
    Unless their other costs (marketing, etc.) don't support that model.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Thanks Alice! Interesting thread in Reddit. The guy is educated, but not a "perfumer," marketing person or particularly enamored with scents (aka fraghead).

He wears some stuff he gets from the factory but doesn't know what the trade name is; he only knows their internal code number. LOL

Just a guy with a job in a fragrance factory.

Not really any very surprising information that most of us were not aware of. (Huge markups, everyone uses same ingredients, they use tons of ISO E Super). But I found it a tad surprising he was adamant that frags spoil and should be refrigerated. I've been at this here for over 11 years and never had anything go off with minimal attention paid to storage conditions. Plus still have some Creeds I got in the 90s...
    Yeah, I liked his answers, too! He's very educated, his point of view is not idealized, he just tells it how he sees it.

As for fragrances spoiling - he later elaborated that by spoiling he means just any change - including colour change or any slight changes in scent. Later he added that some of these changes might actually be desirable for consumer (scent gets deeper, sweeter, stronger), but from manufacturer's point of view it is still spoiled because it's not the exact same it should go out of factory. I think he refers to their own quality control standards a bit here.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    Yeah, I liked his answers, too! He's very educated, his point of view is not idealized, he just tells it how he sees it.

As for fragrances spoiling - he later elaborated that by spoiling he means just any change - including colour change or any slight changes in scent. Later he added that some of these changes might actually be desirable for consumer (scent gets deeper, sweeter, stronger), but from manufacturer's point of view it is still spoiled because it's not the exact same it should go out of factory. I think he refers to their own quality control standards a bit here.
    Exactly what I‘ve loved about his answers. Straight to the point, informed, without any idealization. Great read really.

I browsed some fragrance reddits (never done before) afterwards and was pleasantly surprised about the quality and depth of the discussions.
    Currently wearing: Paradis Perdu by Frapin