Code of Conduct

Default Fragrances you notice have the most inconsistency bottle to bottle?

What are some fragrances you notice have notorious inconsistency in the smell or performance bottle to bottle, people the repeatedly rebuy fragrances might notice this more or that wear a fragrance often and buy more after using a full bottle. Some may say itís a placebo effect but I donít believe so, Iíve noticed it quite often myself curious who else has noticed this with any fragrances youíve come across.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: Fragrances you notice have the most inconsistency bottle to bottle?

Normally don't buy the same fragrance repeatedly, but those I've tried repeatedly within the same house over time, I'd say I have found inconsistency to be common with Creed fragrances.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

No question for me.....

Amouage Jubilation xxv!!

I’ve had samples, official samples, discovery set, vintage white cap, new magnetic cap....all have smelled completely different.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I don't smell a lot of batch to batch because I tend not to have interest in that level of minutiae (power to the folks who do, cuz they do the homework for us), but of the stuff I've sniffed multiple iterations of, it's always the drugstore scents with long histories that bounce the most batch to batch.

In particular, deep vintage English Leather smells maybe 75% like 80's English Leather, which itself then smells maybe 50% like 2000's English Leather, and then 2000's smells maybe 25% like current English Leather, meaning that for all intents and purposes, it's an entirely different scent now. I feel this is because of poor formula curation owner to owner, and steep cost cutting as sales wane over literally a lifetime.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Avon Uomo by Avon

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Cardinal by Heeley.

It's all over the place, sadly.
    ďIf it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.Ē
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

It's going to be hard to pick one specific fragrance for me, but I will say it will be 'something from Creed'.

Aventus could well be the obvious candidate here, although more recent batches seem to have stabilised somewhat. But there were other scents in the past that varied quite a bit. Green Irish Tweed and Millesime Imperial both come to mind.

Definitely Creed. They’re at the top imo.

For example- I have 2 different bottles and 3 different samples/decants of Neroli Suavage all from different batches & years, and they all smell VERY different.
    3 of them are so different, I don’t think even an experienced nose in a blind test could tell they are the same fragrance.

Having mostly bought backups of the same fragrance from identical or at least similar batches, usually within an identical time frame, had little to opportunities at comparing same scents with different consistencies side by side.

Although did notice certain fluctuations within the same or at least nearly identically scheduled batch and over quite short periods of time in the case of certain masculine fragrances by Oriflame (essentially the Swedish answer to home shopping/on delivery fragrance chains like Avon) with almost unchanged notes yet with occasional differences of performance.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

I will echo what several people have already posted here and I am sure many after me will post. I have owned several different bottles of a few of my favorite Creed scents over the years and the variances between batches is reprehensible.

All my older, near finished bottles smell different than their replacements. Older bottles=darker juice as usual. I prefer the new replacements almost 100% of the time.

We are all different, and someone may prefer an older bottle. Some perfumes do age graciously. But my conclusion is to reach for vintage whenever strictly necessary, rather than finding all modern batches "faulty" in some way. Indeed, our memories may be corrupted, and we may have gotten used to the different, old, and perhaps even unintended smell.

I have recent experience of this, with my scent of the day. Newer has been almost always better in my case. Barring the most dreadful reformulations, to be sure, but most of my perfumes are quite good reformulations (broken nose, perhaps.)

Basenotes Institution

Creed hands down.