Code of Conduct

Question Gucci Guilty Absolute- without the peat smoke / medicinal notes?

I've been looking for a frag to blend with my standard summer fragrance- Mugler Cologne. I love it, but it's a little lighter and sweeter than I would like. I can find some wood / leather / warm cotton in the drydown, but wish it had more of that up front.

So, I've set out to find a frag to blend with it and bump it up a little. After ordering about a dozen samples, I've found that Gucci Guilty Absolute PH gets me about 75% of the way there (blended in about a 1:30 ratio).

My problem is that the bandaid / peaty scotch element of GG comes through more than I'd like, and gives a slight "old-timer aftershave" vibe. I think I'm on the right track with chasing a leather-forward fragrance as opposed to wood, but I'm open to other ideas.

I also tried switching to Creed OV, but compared to MC it has a "foody" note (tomato / saffron?) that I don't like.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Gucci Guilty Absolute- without the peat smoke / medicinal notes?

Welcome!

Recommending, among other possible choices, a (re) testing of the fragrances within the Le Parfums Remarquables line by Le Couvent de Minimes- though much less sweet and less smoky too, while retaining a resinous/incense like with less smoke or peat medicinal notes.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cheesebread View Post
    I've found that Gucci Guilty Absolute PH gets me about 75% of the way there
    Then I'd go with that despite the problem you cited.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

If GGA doesn‘t work sufficiently enough for you, maybe try Knize Ten Golden Edition for a different sparse leathery style, or Rose & Cuir - I can imagine the Isobutylquinolin together with the fresh floral tinge to work well within this context.

Thanks for the recommendations, all!

@ThVH Knize Ten was one of the ones I tried (non-Golden Edition if that makes a difference) but I found it reminded me of dish soap. Also tried:
    Mugler les Exceptions Cuir impertinent
    Creed Cuir de Russie (I smelled caranuba car wax and nothing else)
    Parfum d'Empire Cuir Ottoman
    A*men Pure Leather (plenty of A*men cotton candy, not much leather)

I noticed African Leather in your sig, I was thinking of trying the Memo leathers but I've heard the longevity isn't great. Any one in particular you'd recommend?

@ThVH Knize Ten was one of the ones I tried (non-Golden Edition if that makes a difference) but I found it reminded me of dish soap. Also tried:

I noticed African Leather in your sig, I was thinking of trying the Memo leathers but I've heard the longevity isn't great. Any one in particular you'd recommend?
    If going a bit off-topic while still on-topic regarding the house of Memo Paris (however beyond/in addition to its leathers) would also recommend Luxor Oud and Shams Oud for some possible (re) testing. Having enjoyed at least so far on skin a great longevity from the non-smoky oud, resinous and even slightly leathery notes of each.

Basenotes Plus

Dior Fahrenheit Parfum

“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”
    ― Mark Twain
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Ten Golden is way less flowery than the original Ten, more like a straight leather. But I cannot really gauge how it would turn out in your (pretty unique and interesting) experiment.

Longevity in the Memo is far, far from not great. It lasts a whole day on me and well into the night. But African Leather is not really a leather fragrance. It does have a (pretty nice) leather note, but it plays in the background. It is more of a fairly complex oriental with a lot of very juicy cardamom, a little mass pleasing AC stuff in the opening that does blend in splendidly and actually makes the scent *better* imo (although I usually don’t like these kinds if things) and a warm, spicy vanilla drydown. the whole fragrance feels expertly blended and smells of quality, but, as I said, is far from being an actual leather.

It is the only Memo I have smelled, but the interwebs say all of their leathers are not very leather forward.