Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default Your favorite oud with no rose

As much as I find oud with rose quite intoxicating, I also find it a too much to wear for my taste. What ouds out there that have no rose do you recommend?

Default Re: Your favorite oud with no rose

So far, LM Black Oud and Luxor Oud by Memo Prais-however with the disclaimers of not knowing whether they contain some hints of rose, because if so, did not sense it.
    And also if these are actually a single note, almost monotheme ouds or far more a rather subjective, whimsical, imaginative oud renditions.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

+1 for LM Black Oud. Adding:
    Accendis 0.2
    Montale Dark Aoud
    Boucheron Oud de Carthage
    Narciso Rodriguez Oud Musc
    Atkinsons The Other Side of Oud
    Alexandre J Zafeer Oud Vanille

Sent from my Mi Note 10 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Junkie

Rania j oud assam

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Original Aoud by Montale
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Creed, Royal Oud

MFK Oud

M7 Oud Absolu
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Boy Chanel by Chanel

Basenotes Institution

Tobacco Oud

I agree that oud fragrances paired with rose are stunning, but hard to wear outside of a black tie event. Here are some suggestions:

Dior - Leather Oud
    Rania J - Oud Assam
    Rasasi - Dhanal Oud Nashwah
    Beaufort - Iron Duke
    Montale - Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Montale - Aoud Musk
    Orto Parisi - Stercus
    Nishane - Afrika Olifant
    Roja - Musk Aoud
    MFK - Oud (extrait)
    CdG - Wonderoud
    Goutal - 1001 Ouds
    HdP - Ambrarem
    Monegal - Ocean Oud
    Monegal - Soul of Oud
    Le Labo - Oud 27

But most of all:
    Tauer - L'Oudh
    Last edited by Andy the frenchy; 9th May 2021 at 05:56 AM.

Louis Vuitton's Nuit de Feu and Ombre Nomade come to mind, neither of which contains flowery notes. Also Floris's Leather Oud, although that one has geranium in it.
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

Basenotes Member

I was a fan of both Broken Theories and R'oud Elements from Kerosene when I sampled them. R'oud Elements is constructed very similarly to M7 to me, but a little rougher around the edges while M7 is more blended.

Creed Royal Oud or ADP Colonia Oud (but someone will surely show up and say those are not really oud.....)

Quote Originally Posted by D.McDutchface View Post
    Louis Vuitton's Nuit de Feu and Ombre Nomade come to mind, neither of which contains flowery notes. Also Floris's Leather Oud, although that one has geranium in it.
    Ombre Nomade is definitely a rose/oud. A jammy rose/oud and an excellent one at that.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

My favorite would have to be Hermes' Agar Ebene, A few of my other favorites...

Tom Ford Tobacco Oud Intense (and regular Tobacco Oud)
    MFK Oud (extrait)
    ADP Colonia Oud
    ALD Antiquity
    Initio Oud for Greatness
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

I like Le Labo's even though it's not really oudhy.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Ombre Nomade is definitely a rose/oud. A jammy rose/oud and an excellent one at that.
    That's raspberry, not rose. It explains the jammy experience you get though

The manufacturer's website does not include rose in its "detailed features".

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    Creed Royal Oud or ADP Colonia Oud (but someone will surely show up and say those are not really oud.....)
    There is no Oud in Royal Oud. Not even the synthetic stuff

Id say there’s no real Oud in any of the fragrances listed in this thread anyway so, does it matter?

My nominees are
    Songe d’un Bois d’Ete
    Oud Wood
    M7 Oud Absolu

That's raspberry, not rose. The manufacturer does not include rose in its ingredients.
    I know rose and strawberry share a number of aromachemicals. Not so sure about raspberry, but there’s potentially enough in common for there to be significant crossover or similarly between berry and jammy rose.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

That's raspberry, not rose. It explains the jammy experience you get though

The manufacturer's website does not include rose in its "detailed features".
    That would be a complete mindf***, if it's the raspberry, because I would almost stake my life that it's rose. It's similar to what I get from Les Sables Roses. I know it's not listed on their site, but it's what I'm getting. Now, I'm not completely closed to being told I'm wrong, but that's what I get currently. I might have to study it a bit more to really determine if I'm picking up an unlisted rose or raspberry, per your suggestion.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

MFK Oud extrait but it's likely not the authentic stuff.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

That would be a complete mindf***, if it's the raspberry, because I would almost stake my life that it's rose. It's similar to what I get from Les Sables Roses. I know it's not listed on their site, but it's what I'm getting. Now, I'm not completely closed to being told I'm wrong, but that's what I get currently. I might have to study it a bit more to really determine if I'm picking up an unlisted rose or raspberry, per your suggestion.
    I understand. I checked the French website, where ad rules are (much) more stringent than in the US, and it also only mentions the raspberry (framboise), no rose.

Scent, and more specific, the psychology of scent is fascinating. You may have heard of those taste experiments where adding two things together makes it taste like yet something completely different. Maybe something similar is going on here.

I have two bottles of Ombre Nomade in the house, purchased within a month, from the same store. I detect rose in neither, and even the raspberry to me is barely noticeable. The oud and incense form a strong, but wonderful combination. I would love to pick Belletrud's brain on this one and see if, and if so what rose is in there.

I do associate raspberry with a similar kind of "roundness" that I do rose, but, like you said more jammy, or perhaps fruity. Ironically, the rose used in Les Sables Roses (another really awesome perfume that I enjoy a lot, but outside the scope of this topic) to me feels less round then, for instance, the rose in MFK's Oud Silk Mood.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Louis Vuitton's Nuit de Feu
    This is a really good one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I understand. I checked the French website, where ad rules are (much) more stringent than in the US, and it also only mentions the raspberry (framboise), no rose.

I've never heard of this before. This is actually really curious. I've wondered if Frederic Malle's Superstitious actually has any flower oils in it, because on the USA website is says it contains Turkish Rose, and Egyptian Jasmine. Anyone who knows anything about perfumery knows all ingredient claims are usually smoke and mirrors. Interesting, because on the French website it makes absolutely no claim at all about containing rose or jasmine, much less the providence of said flowers. I go to Une Fleur de Cassie, and both ad reads for the USA & French site claim to use jasmine absolute. Huh.

No Bortnikoff or Areej le Dore fans? They both have several home runs for me.
    I have many brands with samples available. Check out my profile!
    Currently wearing: Hawas for Men by Rasasi

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post

Id say there’s no real Oud in any of the fragrances listed in this thread anyway so, does it matter?

My nominees are
    Songe d’un Bois d’Ete
    Oud Wood
    M7 Oud Absolu

I know rose and strawberry share a number of aromachemicals. Not so sure about raspberry, but there’s potentially enough in common for there to be significant crossover or similarly between berry and jammy rose.
    Many frags cited here don't have any oud, but not because it doesn't smell of barnyard/feces does it mean that there is no oud (a smell that is, by the way, not due to the tree species, but to the extraction process in India). Indeed, when thinking at 'oud' we often think at Indian, Thai, Laotian or Cambodian oud. That said, there is also 'oud' produced in Indonesia and Papua, which is more sweet/floral. It is often referred as 'white oud', even if it is not the agarwood tree, but a tree called Aetoxylon.
    That is the 'oud' used in fragrances of Terenzi, Creed, Histoires de Parfums, and Comme des Garcons (yes, I swear, Wonderoud distinctly smell of that!), with probably some oud-like aromachemicals added. For MFK, it's also probably the case most of its line, except maybe for the most expensive stuff (I'm pretty sure that Oud Extrait has the precious stuff).

That said, I can tell for sure that fragrances of Roja, Monegal, Rania J and Tauer that I listed contain oil of the 'precious' oud (even if in minimal quantities).

I also confirm that the raspberry is an accord based on rose absolute, since the 'raspberry' smell is so faint, they barely manage to do jams, figure fragrances...

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    MFK Oud extrait but it's likely not the authentic stuff.
    While I think that most of MFK's line has indeed not the 'precious oud', it still probably contain the cheaper white oud from Indonesia or Papua. That said, MFK Oud Extrait is one of the few for which I'd bet it has the expensive oud from South-East Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post

Totally agree. Added that somewhat in jest, but also to say don't tune out a suggestion when someone says it doesn't contain real oud or whatever, it's about how it smells..... but it's funny how certain scents get that criticism much more than others, when as you point out it applies to most fragrances.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Many frags cited here don't have any oud, but not because it doesn't smell of barnyard/feces does it mean that there is no oud (a smell that is, by the way, not due to the tree species, but to the extraction process in India). Indeed, when thinking at 'oud' we often think at Indian, Thai, Laotian or Cambodian oud. That said, there is also 'oud' produced in Indonesia and Papua, which is more sweet/floral. It is often referred as 'white oud', even if it is not the agarwood tree, but a tree called Aetoxylon.
    That is the 'oud' used in fragrances of Terenzi, Creed, Histoires de Parfums, and Comme des Garcons (yes, I swear, Wonderoud distinctly smell of that!), with probably some oud-like aromachemicals added. For MFK, it's also probably the case most of its line, except maybe for the most expensive stuff (I'm pretty sure that Oud Extrait has the precious stuff).

That said, I can tell for sure that fragrances of Roja, Monegal, Rania J and Tauer that I listed contain oil of the 'precious' oud (even if in minimal quantities).

I also confirm that the raspberry is an accord based on rose absolute, since the 'raspberry' smell is so faint, they barely manage to do jams, figure fragrances...
    The handful of real Oud oils I’ve tried didn’t smell fecal. I’m also prepared to believe Wonderoud’s claim to using real farmed oud. I’m definitely not experienced enough to be able to tell whether a scent uses real or a mix of the synthetic and real. I might be able to pick out some of the more commonly used synthetics but wouldn’t be prepared to bet money on it. TBH, I’m not that fussed above whether a scent uses real or synthetic as long as they aren’t charging exorbitant amounts based on false claims of real oud.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Of what I've tried? Dior Leather Oud (2010), but I missed the boat on owning it.

Of what I own? Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial (2012).
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Aspen for Men by Coty

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Louis Vuitton's Nuit de Feu and Ombre Nomade come to mind, neither of which contains flowery notes.
    The main note in Ombre Nomade is rose.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I'd be hard pressed to pick anything for this category as I'm not a fan of oud. Certainly not real oud. It truly stinks.

My enjoyment of oud is usually tied to how little there is in the fragrance, as well as how synthetic it is. For instance, the Tom Ford Tobacco Ouds, or M7 etc, where oud is incredibly subtle.

On that basis, given that I smell zero oud but it's in the title, Tom Ford's Oud Minerale is my pick. The lovely rubbery styrax, passing as oud for some, makes for a great aquatic scent.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Forget note lists, your nose is right. Rose is the strongest note in the scent to my nose. The fact it has "raspberry" as well is neither here nor there, rose is used to create a sweet-floral accord on top of the oud. It's the epitome of a western designer oud-rose, taking what MFK did and making it even more pleasing to your average customer. It's a good fragrance in my opinion, and only gets better when you just forget about the notes and treat it as its own thing. But it 100% has rose in it haha.