Code of Conduct
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Goodfellow, Cremo, Duke Cannon, Every Man Jack...how are they?

I saw all these brands with testers at the store. I tried one, Duke Cannon "Randolph" which is listed as having bergamot, lavender, and leather. On paper it smelled like a very masculine-leaning fragrance. It's got some heft to it with the leather, and maybe some more traditional qualities to it which I'm attributing to the bergamot and lavender. I thought it was quite nice and seems like it could be part of a regular rotation.

From what I can tell of Cremo's Blue Cedar & Cypress, that seems even more to my liking. I haven't sampled it on skin, so I'll have to see. All in all though, there's something I really like about an affordable and easily available men's cologne that's simple but pleasant smelling. Nothing too crazy. Both scents seem like just the thing I'm looking for. Now I just have to see how the dry down's are on skin.

Anyone else have experience with these brands? Likes, dislikes?

Default Re: Goodfellow, Cremo, Duke Cannon, Every Man Jack...how are they?

Duke Cannon and Every Man Jack... meh. Haven't liked any of them.

Cremo and Goodfellow are hit-and-miss but have a few solid ones. The Goodfellow Ginger & Rum one is pretty good.

I really like and would recommend Every Man Jack’s body washes (Signature Mint, in particular). Their aftershave/face lotion is also good. I haven’t tried their fragrances (if memory serves, they only have two or three right now), but I’ve been tempted to blind buy based on my experience with their grooming products.

I picked up a gift set of Cremo’s Blue Cedar and Cypress last year. Went through the body wash pretty quickly. As you suggest, it’s pleasant, affordable, easy, simple, etc. I haven’t really made a dent in the spray that came in the gift set and wouldn’t buy it again, but for like $15 or whatever I paid, it’s hard to complain too much. If you find a scent that clicks for you, I could see Cremo being a decent “gym bag”-type option. Their shaving and beard care products are good (though I’m not involved in the wet shaving community, so maybe that’s a controversial opinion).

The only other fragrances I’ve smelled from your list are Duke Cannon’s solid colognes. TJ Maxx had a few of these a while back. I remember not being impressed, though that was just from smelling the tins (these were the ones with names like “land”, “sea”, “air”, and the like).
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

I’ve tried a few soaps from Duke Cannon that I got on sale at Target and they were awful. I’d hold out little hope for the fragrances.

I own Goodfellow Cedar Geranium or whatever it’s called - again, the body wash is way better. The EdT is not bad per se, but it’s extremely short lived and has the same kind of harsh chemical vibe you get in most Zara frags. It also comes in 50 ml bottles, so for ~$20 it’s not really all that much of a deal when you break it down. And it’s basically just a TdH clone. I’d say it’s in the same class as something like BR Cypress Cedar.

Haven’t tried any of the Cremo fragrances, but I do really like the Silver Water and Birch body wash. It’s a pretty spot-on copy of SMW, and would work well as part of a SMW-oriented grooming regimen.

Every Man Jack - again, haven’t tried the frags, but I do like the cedar deodorant. The sandalwood was a bit of a bust for me though. All in all, I’d say these companies are good for buying designer clone grooming products, but there are so many comparable options at the same or better price for fragrances that it isn’t really worth it (unless you have deep pockets and a drive for seeking out novelty. I have the latter but not the former).
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Personally didn't care for any of the Cremo offerings I tried.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I had a bottle once of the Every Man Jack Sandalwood scent shampoo.

It's good, but not worth the price.

Then again, I'm not a hair guy and I shave my head every couple months or so. Maybe if I had grown my hair a bit I might've noticed the scent more.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I've tried most of them over the time at Target. Fragrance-wise none of them really had any appeal to justify a purchase. For the same price (or less) there are better choices at discounters.

I don’t own the colognes but love Every Man Jack Sandalwood body wash.

I did think Goodfellow Cedar Geranium wasn’t bad even I tested it.
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Hmm, so they don't have a great reputation.

If they're clones of designer-fragrances, that puts me off, as I'd rather just buy the real thing. I was under the impression that they were completely original scents. I'm reading that longevity is big issue in some of them.

I was looking for something that came across as more casual. Usually men's deodorant and grooming products are great in this regard. The original Old Spice Pure Sport, Dove Men Cool Fresh, and the various shower gels. But when you get fragrances that have that are close to that in style (BdC, Sauvage, Allure Homme Sport) they're more like date scents imo. Maybe it's the ambroxan or whatever else that kills the casual vibe I'm looking for.

I'll definitely try to sample on skin the ones I'm interested in before blind buying, even at $20. Thanks for the replies.

I've just been using Nivea Sensitive 3-in-1 for the past few years with no complaints. It's cheap when bought in bulk, too.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Duke is all ok, but nothing stands out. They die off fast.
    EMJ has great body wash and shampoo but their cologne is disappointing. Cremo has a good selection and good ideas for their scents and styles but all the ones I have tried seem to miss the mark as well.
    I would say Goodfellow stands out most among all the others.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Another brand that I haven’t sampled but have seen advertised quite a bit is Outlaw Soaps. May be worth a sniff.

Overall, though, if you want something more than body wash or beard oil, I’d suggest trying out some of the more “upscale” grooming brands. They’re not as affordable, but better quality. Art of Shaving, for instance, has some solid fragrances. Others off the top of my head: Fine Accoutrements, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, Juniper Ridge, and - if solid fragrances aren’t a problem - Fulton and Roark.

If you really want to explore “indie” (or, at least, less mainstream) grooming brands, I imagine wetshaving forums like Badger and Blade are a good resource. I wager you’ll find a lot of recommendations for brands like Pinaud, Proraso, Barrister and Mann, Czech and Speake, and the like. Again, you may have to adjust your price and performance expectations, but in my limited experience, the wetshaving community is a more frugal (and more “everyman”) bunch than fragheads.
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I tried Duke Canon Lincoln [ Leather | Oakmoss | Mandarin ]
    Right off the bat, I get this vague, Drakkar Noir-like vibe. It's synthetic the first 30 minutes, with a faint car tree freshener vibe. That goes away after an hour and becomes smoother. It's kinda nice actually. I thought oakmoss was banned though?

I'll probably get this one down the road, as I love variations on the DN theme.

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post

I did think Goodfellow Cedar Geranium wasn’t bad even I tested it.
    Goodfellow No. 6 Cedarwood & Geranium. Yeah, I'm wearing it right now and it's crazy how much I'm liking it. I'm only two hours into it so it might change up for the worse, but so far so good.

Just sampling these two, I'm very impressed with both these brands, but of the two the Goodfellow has more going on.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    Another brand that I haven’t sampled but have seen advertised quite a bit is Outlaw Soaps. May be worth a sniff.

Overall, though, if you want something more than body wash or beard oil, I’d suggest trying out some of the more “upscale” grooming brands. They’re not as affordable, but better quality. Art of Shaving, for instance, has some solid fragrances. Others off the top of my head: Fine Accoutrements, Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements, Juniper Ridge, and - if solid fragrances aren’t a problem - Fulton and Roark.

If you really want to explore “indie” (or, at least, less mainstream) grooming brands, I imagine wetshaving forums like Badger and Blade are a good resource. I wager you’ll find a lot of recommendations for brands like Pinaud, Proraso, Barrister and Mann, Czech and Speake, and the like. Again, you may have to adjust your price and performance expectations, but in my limited experience, the wetshaving community is a more frugal (and more “everyman”) bunch than fragheads.
    Thanks, I'll check those out. Badger and Blade is a great place, I need to register there.

Hi NettyYeti - I tried outlaw and found it to be woefully lacking. IMO, they are overpriced with cheap synthetic chemicals with no longevity. I did not like a single scent they have - all scrubbers.