Code of Conduct

Default how many spritzes for 100 ml on avarege?

can someone tell from experience or thought or drop a link for a source? thx

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: how many spritzes for 100 ml on avarege?

I think that would depend on the atomizer and how much volume it expels. Just curious - I'm at a loss as to why would one want or need to know this for 100ml?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Approximately, 1 ml = 10-12 sprays.
    But it depends on an atomizer as some spray more juice and some are more economical, but that's the average. So you can expect ~1000 sprays from a 100 ml bottle. If you do 5 sprays each wear, that's ~200-240 wears. If you spray less, then the bottle will last you more, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think that would depend on the atomizer and how much volume it expels. Just curious - I'm at a loss as to why would one want or need to know this for 100ml?
    I think it's useful to know if you're curious how much will your bottle last, what bottle size to choose and how many bottles you want to have if you want to go through them all in a reasonable time. Or if you're curious about how much bang for your buck are you getting with the particular bottle, for example, how many wears can you expect out of this sum of money.
    Basically, for people who are not into collecting and who want to maintain their bottles fresh, either having just a few big bottles or opting for smaller bottles if they like more variety seems sensible.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I think it's useful to know if you're curious how much will your bottle last, what bottle size to choose and how many bottles you want to have if you want to go through them all in a reasonable time. Or if you're curious about how much bang for your buck are you getting with the particular bottle, for example, how many wears can you expect out of this sum of money.
    Basically, for people who are not into collecting and who want to maintain their bottles fresh, either having just a few big bottles or opting for smaller bottles if they like more variety seems sensible.
    I can understand that reasoning.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    the average of my fragrances is 100 ml.

I now start to pile up fragrances and cannot see when I will empty 1 of them [I spray on rotation, every day another frag], while at the same time I enjoy spraying fragrance on me [average of 10-14 spritzes each morning].
    I am trying to estimate how much time it will be delayed since when I add new fragrances it will extend all of them alltogether. I know it sound silly but what get measure gets improved. just try to be efficient in my consumerism and to have an understanding.

But it depends on an atomizer as some spray more juice and some are more economical, but that's the average. So you can expect ~1000 sprays from a 100 ml bottle. If you do 5 sprays each wear, that's ~200-240 wears. If you spray less, then the bottle will last you more, of course.
    I have 20 frags.
    avg: 100 ml each = 1000 spritzes.
    spray on rotation every day [15 spritzes avg/day]

math: 1000 X 20 = 20,000 spritzes [from my whole collection]
    15 spritzes per day give me 3.65~ years to end them all. each new frag extends this by 66 days. approx. thx
    that means that I consume 5.5 bottles [of 100 ml] each year.

Quote Originally Posted by versanchez View Post
    I have 20 frags.
    avg: 100 ml each = 1000 spritzes.
    spray on rotation every day [15 spritzes avg/day]

math: 1000 X 20 = 20,000 spritzes [from my whole collection]
    15 spritzes per day give me 3.65~ years to end them all. each new frag extends this by 66 days. approx. thx
    that means that I consume 5.5 bottles [of 100 ml] each year.
    You go through them quite fast!
    If you want to free up more space, consider wearing one or two of them much more often than others, then you'll be finishing bottles in a quicker rate if that's your goal.
    66 days for a bottle is really not a lot. Just over two months, wow. I get similar amount of wears from my 30 ml bottles - but I'm more conservative with my sprays. (But I like them lasting longer for me.)
    But yeah, counting how many years of fragrance you currently have is rather eye opening

You go through them quite fast!
    If you want to free up more space, consider wearing one or two of them much more often than others, then you'll be finishing bottles in a quicker rate if that's your goal.
    66 days for a bottle is really not a lot. Just over two months, wow. I get similar amount of wears from my 30 ml bottles - but I'm more conservative with my sprays. (But I like them lasting longer for me.)
    But yeah, counting how many years of fragrance you currently have is rather eye opening
    you are right but I cannot really stand 1 frag for a whole week. I get bored by it and I don't want to miss it when I'm doing so. when I rotate, I start to miss those in the rotation I didn't get to in a while [also I have 3 spicy frags I using in winter/autumn so it is actually 17 left].
    also, it is really nice to know that I consuming 5.5 frags/year. it means that I need to get new ones every 2-3 months to feel equal in the abundance of them all.

Tending to second the opinion/possibility that easily above 1000 spritzes might result
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Quote Originally Posted by versanchez View Post
    you are right but I cannot really stand 1 frag for a whole week. I get bored by it and I don't want to miss it when I'm doing so. when I rotate, I start to miss those in the rotation I didn't get to in a while [also I have 3 spicy frags I using in winter/autumn so it is actually 17 left].
    also, it is really nice to know that I consuming 5.5 frags/year. it means that I need to get new ones every 2-3 months to feel equal in the abundance of them all.
    I can see that! And I also can relate about 'missing' scents if I don't wear them for a while. I want all of my wardrobe to be worn and loved, and I'll admit it's a bit easier with fewer bottles. But I love variety and having multiple choices for various moods, too
    Hmmm, in this case maybe you could pick one you'd like to finish first and then make it a point to wear it at least twice a week - it will still be finished sooner than others in your rotation. But that's if you're really into finishing some bottles to either cull your wardrobe a bit or make space for new scents, You can always just let it go naturally. Choose the approach that gives you the most satisfaction and the least stress!

It's going to depend on the spray atomizer. You could measure it by decanting juice into a 1ml container and see how many sprays it takes to fill.
    My estimate would be 10-15 sprays depending on the sprayer.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

About 10 sprays for 1 ml, I think.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

This is my experience as well.

I tested this years ago by spraying into a pipette.

From memory, the results were,
    In big bottles of Creed scents and the Boss bottles of 20 years ago - 6 sprays per ml
    In more typical 100ml bottles - 8 to 10 spray per ml

In small 30ml and 50 ml bottles - 10 to 12 sprays per ml.

Though my memory might be a bit off. I tried searching for where I wrote it up here but couldn't find it.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I tested this years ago by spraying into a pipette.

From memory, the results were,
    In big bottles of Creed scents and the Boss bottles of 20 years ago - 6 sprays per ml
    In more typical 100ml bottles - 8 to 10 spray per ml

In small 30ml and 50 ml bottles - 10 to 12 sprays per ml.

Though my memory might be a bit off. I tried searching for where I wrote it up here but couldn't find it.
    Regards,
    Renato
    It's a very interesting info you shared, thank you! So it seems the big bottles aren't necessarily always the most economical option.
    And good point that it depends on the brand, too. I have personally noticed that Guerlain sprayers are usually on the generous side, both bigger and smaller bottles, especially the bee and quadrilobe ones - but their travel sprays are very economical. YSL, Molinard, L'Erbolario sprays I own/had are all on the economical side, and I'm actually happy to be able to do a small spray of Opium.

It's a very interesting info you shared, thank you! So it seems the big bottles aren't necessarily always the most economical option.
    And good point that it depends on the brand, too. I have personally noticed that Guerlain sprayers are usually on the generous side, both bigger and smaller bottles, especially the bee and quadrilobe ones - but their travel sprays are very economical. YSL, Molinard, L'Erbolario sprays I own/had are all on the economical side, and I'm actually happy to be able to do a small spray of Opium.
    Thanks, but please note that the small bottles aren't really more economical.

For standard strength woody/leathery scents I usually spray six sprays of most scents from 100ml bottles, four from the heavy sprayer bottles, and eight from the small bottles - in order to get roughly the same overall effect. And about 10 to 12 sprays from the light scents in 100ml bottles, to again get roughly the same effect.

For the scents that have lousy longevity but good strength on me, I'll spray six sprays - carefully noting where they went - wait half a minute or so, then spray exactly over the previous sprays. This usually gives much better longevity, but i run through the bottle twice as quickly.

Can I take it you are referring to the men's Opium EDP? I didn't think the lighter EDT version would have required a smaller spray.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Thanks, but please note that the small bottles aren't really more economical.

For standard strength woody/leathery scents I usually spray six sprays of most scents from 100ml bottles, four from the heavy sprayer bottles, and eight from the small bottles - in order to get roughly the same overall effect. And about 10 to 12 sprays from the light scents in 100ml bottles, to again get roughly the same effect.

For the scents that have lousy longevity but good strength on me, I'll spray six sprays - carefully noting where they went - wait half a minute or so, then spray exactly over the previous sprays. This usually gives much better longevity, but i run through the bottle twice as quickly.

Can I take it you are referring to the men's Opium EDP? I didn't think the lighter EDT version would have required a smaller spray.
    Regards,
    Renato
    No, I'm having in mind women's Opium EDP. I have the 2009 version which is not that beastly strong as apparently the original version was, but it's still pretty strong and I really have to be mindful if I'm wearing that to work or somewhere - 2 small sprays max, shared between my wrists, elbow crooks and sides of neck, while normally I do 4-6 with most fragrances (and ~3 with stronger ones or 6-9 with light citruses, and I tone down for work and social gatherings while spraying away when home alone). I haven't had the opportunity to test the men's version yet, sadly, but I am interested, I think it should be a good one, too.

I know I know small bottles aren't the most economical in price per ml ratio, it's just that the sprayer type is another thing to be mindful of - it shows that it doesn't mean that a 90 ml bottle will last three times as long as the 30 ml one, more probably only ~twice as long if you won't start spraying less.
    Although the most economical purchase is the one that will be used, so that is also to be taken into account. I don't need a big bottle of something I'll only wear on occasions or something that's so new to me I might just get bored of it and stop wearing that, but I definitely need bigger bottles of my favourites, versatile easy wears and fresh summery citruses as I'll be going through them in a much quicker rate anyway. There are instances where I bought a bigger bottle and thought that a 30 ml would have been more than enough, and when I bought a 10 ml travel spray and had to upgrade to the big bottle after that, and to me the former feels worse than the latter. In general I feel more money is wasted when you buy something and not use it than when you get something you love in smaller quantity and have to rebuy it later. (Discontinuations and reformulations is another matter though... I like to stock up if I hear something about things I love) But that's how it is for me, it might be different for others!

Basenotes Plus

Depends on the sprayer, but I usually estimate 10 sprays per ml. So, a 100 ml bottle would provide 1000 sprays.

No, I'm having in mind women's Opium EDP. I have the 2009 version which is not that beastly strong as apparently the original version was, but it's still pretty strong and I really have to be mindful if I'm wearing that to work or somewhere - 2 small sprays max, shared between my wrists, elbow crooks and sides of neck, while normally I do 4-6 with most fragrances (and ~3 with stronger ones or 6-9 with light citruses, and I tone down for work and social gatherings while spraying away when home alone). I haven't had the opportunity to test the men's version yet, sadly, but I am interested, I think it should be a good one, too.

I know I know small bottles aren't the most economical in price per ml ratio, it's just that the sprayer type is another thing to be mindful of - it shows that it doesn't mean that a 90 ml bottle will last three times as long as the 30 ml one, more probably only ~twice as long if you won't start spraying less.
    Although the most economical purchase is the one that will be used, so that is also to be taken into account. I don't need a big bottle of something I'll only wear on occasions or something that's so new to me I might just get bored of it and stop wearing that, but I definitely need bigger bottles of my favourites, versatile easy wears and fresh summery citruses as I'll be going through them in a much quicker rate anyway. There are instances where I bought a bigger bottle and thought that a 30 ml would have been more than enough, and when I bought a 10 ml travel spray and had to upgrade to the big bottle after that, and to me the former feels worse than the latter. In general I feel more money is wasted when you buy something and not use it than when you get something you love in smaller quantity and have to rebuy it later. (Discontinuations and reformulations is another matter though... I like to stock up if I hear something about things I love) But that's how it is for me, it might be different for others!
    Interesting. My wife wound up giving away her bottle of Opium from the mid 90s - she really liked it, but sort of became allergic to it because of its strength.

I tend to look at small bottles as mainly ideal for travel, but even then only pick them up if - say a 50ml bottle is going at less than half the price of a 100ml bottle. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. For example, last year, 30ml bottles of Michael Jordon Cologne were going for A$5 here, while the 100ml bottle was going for A$29. So I bought three A$5 bottles - one lives in my car and another in my travel suitcase (some people don't think much of it here, but I've had lots of positive comments wearing it).

Your comment about wasting money on something that doesn't get used much is entirely rational. My wife thinks like you and had a small collection of about 50 fragrances when we first got together (some she bought, many were gifts). But I've bought her over 300 fragrances since. She says that she'll never ever get through them, to stop buying them as it's a waste. I say "Who cares? Someone can have fun selling them on Ebay when we're not around".
    Cheers,
    Renato