Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The perfect fragrance for a certain protagonist in a movie - (Donīt take this thread too seriously.)

The perfect fragrance for a certain protagonist in a movie! (Funny "creative" game.)
    (I have seen a similar thread somewhere else, only that it was about the "perfecr car", instead of the "perfect fragrance.") However in my opinion a fragrance is so much more suited to fit to a certain type of person and how you perceive this person. I could imagine that a perfumer has his own ideas how a certain fragrance could represent a certain type of a man & his character, as well as his physical appearance! Thatīs why for most "male fragrances" they use certain guys (sometimes models & sometimes actors) who are used to represent a certain fragrance. (For example Johnny Depp for Dior Sauvage, or Ryan Reynolds for Armani Code Absolu.)

OK, letīs get back to the topic "The perfect fragrance for a certain protagonist in a movie."
    I start with "Ryan Gosling" who is the protagonist in the the thriller drive.

Do you have any fragrance in mind (or maybe even more than one) that would according to you fit best, or even fit perfectly to "Ryan Gosling" in the movie drive?
    Maybe after (10 posts or more, it depends on your ideas) we can continue this thread with another protagonist of a certain movie.

Kind regards & stay healthy.

P.S.: (Two szenes for those who havenīt watched the movie, but it definitely is better to watch the whole movie to get an idea of the protagonist.)
    Last edited by Leonidas1; 10th May 2021 at 12:25 AM. Reason: I inserted two videos.

Default Re: The perfect fragrance for a certain protagonist in a movie - (Donīt take this thread too serious

Tom Cruise in Top Gun with Guerlain Derby
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The perfect fragrance for a certain protagonist in a movie - (Donīt take this thread too serious

Jules for Patrick Batemen in American Psycho
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

First of all thank you for your replies. (Good choices for the protagonists your are talking about) I guess I was a bit "vague" in my post. I mean what would you say would fit best to "Ryan Gosling in the movie drive".
    For example if somebody asked me what would fit good to a "stuffy guy in a leading position", who is not a natural leader, I would recommend "HERMČS Terre d’Hermčs." Not saying this was not a good fragrance, just that it fits more for a guy who is pretty much the opposite of the charactern "Rhyan Gosling in dtive." So what would you say, would fit to this quite different, more wild & confident type.
    Thank you again.

Cool Water... Why not? Haha!

Ignore the poster please... I wasn't clear on the idea initially.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Or Black. Maybe Jovan Musk for Men...

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Here would be some of my picks based on films I've seen ......

Cary Grant in North by Northwest –– Caron Pour Un Homme
    Ray Liotta in Goodfellas –– Cool Water
    Sidney Poitier in In the Heat of the Night –– Old Spice
    Peter Finch in Sunday Bloody Sunday –– Habit Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Jules for Patrick Batemen in American Psycho
    He wore YSL Pour Homme in the movie (or at least had a bottle of it!)

Chris Evans Azzaro Chrome
    Chris Hemsworth Azzaro Chrome Legend
    Chris Pratt Azzaro Chrome Aqua

Marlene Dietrich in Garden of Allah with Guerlain Sous Le Vent

Rudolph Valentino in Son of the Sheik with Guerlain Djedi

Sharon Tate in Valley of the Dolls with Guerlain Mitsouko

Marlon Brando in Godfather with Guerlain Vetiver
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Alfie with Michael Caine:

Ambre Russe - Parfum d'Empire

Alfie with Jude Law:

Dior Homme and Dior Homme Parfum in winter (that was an easy one)

Vincent Vega in Tarantino's Pulp Fiction - Giorgio for Men
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Sidney Poitier in In the Heat of the Night –– Old Spice
    yeah. OH YEAH!!
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Boss Number One (current version)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir (vintage) / Pour Monsieur
    Heritage EdT (all versions) / Incident Diplomatique / Halfeti
    Bright Neroli / EL / Jubilation Man / Cool Water (vintage)

Charlize Theron in Mad Max

1740 by HdP: Badass and polarising (was considering Au Coeur du Desert)

In Monster: (probably none but) A City On Fire by Imaginary Authors

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wardian View Post
    Cool Water... Why not? Haha!

Ignore the poster please... I wasn't clear on the idea initially.
    Haha, Cool Water was definitely pretty cool in the 90ies (I even think that Brian Buzzini inspired me to start lifting weights). The commercial was the best ever in terms of "marketing" I guess!

I guess for the protagonist (Ryan Gosling) in drive it would be something that is somehow unconventional (but not in bad way, more in an unique way), maskuline, seductive and "wild".
    Difficult to explain... Have you see the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas1 View Post
    I guess for the protagonist (Ryan Gosling) in drive it would be something that is somehow unconventional (but not in bad way, more in an unique way), maskuline, seductive and "wild".
    Yes, it is a great movie. I would see him wearing something dark/dangerous but not loud, more introvert. Difficult to say: Maybe CdG Black Pepper or Wonderwood

James Bond- not so much the current fragrance house and its fragrances named after him, as much as the Floris scents, especially No. 89 mentioned in the original Ian Fleming texts.
    But also the various other fragrances BN reviews, threads and/or posts have over time attributed to him, as different and at the same time as consistent with classic gentlemanly theme as vintage Givenchy Gentleman, Santos de Cartier, Habit Rouge, Azzaro PH (the latter three preferably vintage as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas1 View Post
    Haha, Cool Water was definitely pretty cool in the 90ies (I even think that Brian Buzzini inspired me to start lifting weights). The commercial was the best ever in terms of "marketing" I guess!

Yes, I have seen the film... I figure Driver is more of a splash guy... Under the radar profile, low detection, low sillage... A nice hip cologne would only detract and leave a trail...

Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) in Wall Street - Cartier Santos, since he wore other Cartier accessories in this movie.
    Currently wearing: Jasmine by Floris

ALEX (A Clockwork Orange) YSL "Rive Gauche"

https://www.google.com/search?q=a+cl...1PxYi20X4eYBhM

Righty right ?

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    Gordon Gekko (Michael Douglas) in Wall Street - Cartier Santos, since he wore other Cartier accessories in this movie.
    That's a nice catch. That's a great classic film.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    James Bond- not so much the current fragrance house and its fragrances named after him, as much as the Floris scents, especially No. 89 mentioned in the original Ian Fleming texts.
    But also the various other fragrances BN reviews, threads and/or posts have over time attributed to him, as different and at the same time as consistent with classic gentlemanly theme as vintage Givenchy Gentleman, Santos de Cartier, Habit Rouge, Azzaro PH (the latter three preferably vintage as well).
    What about in more exotic locations? Do you think bond would be sweltering in Jamaica wearing Habit Rouge or something lighter?

For Ryan Gosling's character in Drive, how about vintage Jacomo de Jacomo?

It smells like rubber tires (in a good way) a leather jacket and clove cigarettes

Drive is one of my favorite films -- you can see an interesting analysis of its Cinematography here:

This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Christopher Lee's Dracula wears Salvador Dali pour Homme.
    Spray less, love more.

Mel Gibson in Mad Max - Fahrenheit
    Arnie in Predator - KENZO Jungle
    Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets - Bijan For Men
    Denzel Washington in Training Day - Tuscan Leather
    Henry Cavill in Man Of Steel - Aldehydes (Too much yellow sun)
    Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump - Dr Pepper
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Boss Number One (current version)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir (vintage) / Pour Monsieur
    Heritage EdT (all versions) / Incident Diplomatique / Halfeti
    Bright Neroli / EL / Jubilation Man / Cool Water (vintage)

Quote Originally Posted by mistersmellgood View Post
    What about in more exotic locations? Do you think bond would be sweltering in Jamaica wearing Habit Rouge or something lighter?
    Possibly if Habit Rouge EDC and/or another lighter flanker of this, as well as a lighter, EDC style Floris (with much less heavy performance than No. 89)

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    Christopher Lee's Dracula wears Salvador Dali pour Homme.
    Totally! It's a dark, powerful and disturbing scent...I swear I smell a "blood" note in it

Fwiw I believe my bottle is the 2nd of 3 formulations...
    This is my Opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by calitrav View Post
    Totally! It's a dark, powerful and disturbing scent...I swear I smell a "blood" note in it

Fwiw I believe my bottle is the 2nd of 3 formulations...
    Mine is the 1st edition and it's Insta-Gloom because of the faded top notes. Smells wonderful though!
    Spray less, love more.

Charlize Theron in Atomic Blonde- Tom Ford Tuscan Leather or Lolita Lempicka Fleur du Corail
    Gal Gadot in Wonderwoman- Sisley Eau du Soir
    Anthony Hopkins in Red Dragon (despite not being the protagonist)- reminds me of Eau de Campagne by Sisley (ok I know Santa Maria Novella was one of his ruins)
    Uma Thurman in Kill Bill- Nasomatto Hindu Grass
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by ripjean View Post
    He wore YSL Pour Homme in the movie (or at least had a bottle of it!)
    And Caron Pour Un Homme, beyond one or two other fragrances I couldn’t identify.
    BTW I loathed the movie.

7E9184EF-D7A4-4811-B7CF-5E7C43E17CB6.jpg

7FAA75DA-1444-4455-91EF-2538B5CF57CB.jpg
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Lyric Man by Amouage