Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Which Hermes masculines should one buy ahead of H24?

I must say H24 left me feeling very flat. White florals, a fruity pear note, green notes, hay notes and the metallic steam accord and an overall modern dandy feel left me in a situation where I couldn’t imagine a situation where it would be my first preference. It was almost an office fragrance, but not quite. It was almost a formal fragrance but not quite. And it was far from a casual fragrance.

And so I thought, why bother with the new release hype when Hermes has an incredible back catalogue of mens fragrances? Why buy H24 when you can have Bel Ami?? So my H24 is sold and I am ready for a trip to the Hermes boutique to get a bottle of Bel Ami (I only have Bel Ami Vetiver) and Equipage Geranium.

So which Hermes men’s fragrances would you choose ahead of H24?
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Default Re: Which Hermes masculines should one buy ahead of H24?

I certainly wouldn't talk you out of Bel Ami. Check out Rocabar as well. Then, you can look into Terre d'Hermes and especially the eau tres Fraiche flanker for summer. Eau Intense Vetiver is good too (which I need a bottle of as well).
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

I have not yet smelled h24, but my favorite is Le Galop, a ripe fruit leather.

Equipage Geranium and Bel Ami

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Yeah good suggestion I think I’d wear Galop over H24 too
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne Man View Post
    Equipage Geranium and Bel Ami
    Excellent.

My vote is for Eau Intense Vetiver and Bel Ami. I have both, so there may be a little bias here.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I wore TdH Très Fraîche this evening, and was reminded how pleasant and versatile it is.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I came here hoping to say as much, exactly.

My wife encouraged me to buy Galop in duty free, and she thinks it's my best masculine in my current rotation. She will not wear it. She loves Jour d'Hermès, but only likes Galop on me.

In my opinion, Galop is the Hermès counterpart of Chanel's Égoïste.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Yeah good suggestion I think I’d wear Galop over H24 too
    It's a great one! It's actually quite strong, but the nose quickly goes blind to it. Give yourself time, and it becomes easier to smell.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Bel Ami for sure. I like Equipage too but you may find it too classic to be comfortable in. Bois du Portugal would look juvenille to Mr Equipage.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Boss Number One (current version)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir (vintage) / Pour Monsieur
    Heritage EdT (all versions) / Incident Diplomatique / Halfeti
    Bright Neroli / EL / Jubilation Man / Cool Water (vintage)

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Since you have Bel Ami Vetiver and Equipage Geranium, I would suggest Rocabar, and Terre d'Hermes Parfum.

If you are open to the Hermessence range then definitely Epice Marine.

Terre would be the obvious choice. I'm not a big fan of it but it is much better than H24 as a mainstream release.

Galop I absolutely adore, it is part of the women's line, but totally fine for anyone as long as you like rose.

Of the classics, I think Bel Ami or the updated flankers are the best. The others, while nice, smell a bit too old fashioned for me (Eau d'Hermes, Equipage, Rocabar).

If you like a green green rose and want a wild card give Rose Amazone a spray.

If you don't mind the price of Hermessence, well that opens a whole new world. Since you asked specifically for masculine, the most masculine in the line would be:
    Poivre Samarcande
    Epice Marine
    Vetiver Tonka
    Cuir d'Ange/Agar Ebene

But to me, this line is really a poetic study in ingredients so I hate to assign a gender to any of them. Anyone can wear these, just depends what smells you like: flowers, leather, spice, sea, vanilla, etc etc
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

BelAmi
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

This will come off as flippant but how about anyone of them..?? Can't think of one I wouldn't really

Basenotes Plus

Certainly. Bel Ami, Eau d'Hermes, Equipage.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    Certainly. Bel Ami, Eau d'Hermes, Equipage.
    Eau d'Hermès is really great, and so much more than a mere eau de cologne. It's almost like Terre Ami Merveilles d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche, invented before all the others. Every Hermès perfumer uses it as a reference. I spray it on my clothing, at TdHETF levels, and I'm in a cloud of it with big sillage all day. Easy wear for a guy, very sophisticated - it should be in the wardrobe of every male house fan, IMO, even if just for home use and reference.

In order, for me:

Eqiupage
    Equipage Geranium
    Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
    Rocabar
    Bel Ami

I know others feel differently about Bel Ami, and it's fine, but given that you already have Bel Ami Vetiver, I'd go for original Equipage.

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme

Bel Ami preferably the vintage formulation.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Eau d'Hermès is really great, and so much more than a mere eau de cologne. It's almost like Terre Ami Merveilles d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche, invented before all the others. Every Hermès perfumer uses it as a reference. I spray it on my clothing, at TdHETF levels, and I'm in a cloud of it with big sillage all day. Easy wear for a guy, very sophisticated - it should be in the wardrobe of every male house fan, IMO, even if just for home use and reference.
    Eau d'Hermes, to my nose, is a scent that was developed as a Feminine scent as it has similarity to the scent of a Woman's lap. A comforting scent for me.
    It's Masala spiciness then again can mimic the healthy scent of a Masculine armpit. A most human scent this.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Eau d'Hermes, to my nose, is a scent that was developed as a Feminine scent as it has similarity to the scent of a Woman's lap. A comforting scent for me.
    It's Masala spiciness then again can mimic the healthy scent of a Masculine armpit. A most human scent this.
    Yes - I am also sure Roudnitska had women in mind first, with men being able to wear it. The thing that is important to add, though, to all of these apt descriptions of the animalic aspects of the fragrance, which go to any point about humans, is that it smells like a perfumed person. In my opinion, it's the warmth that he wanted to convey. Thus, to my nose there is a counteracting freshness which comes across as cleanliness and expensive grooming and dressing at the same time. The whole package is genius of both art and craft.

Haha, naw I'm with ya on this one. As I was writing up my list I thought - wait, I prefer just about anything in the line over H24. Not that H24 is terrible but the line is so consistently good H24 doesn't really stack up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevenol View Post
    This will come off as flippant but how about anyone of them..?? Can't think of one I wouldn't really
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Absolutely! I had this realization working backward through the catalog, when I hit Eau d'Hermes I was like wow this is like the mother sauce of Ellena's style. It's got all the hallmarks of Ellena's work for Hermes, bright citrus with the warm hum of spice underneath, light and sheer but diffusive and long lasting, a pinch of something bodily. Epice Marine especially feels like an update on Eau d'Hermes.

Unfortunately for me, I just can't get over the skank of Eau d'Hermes, even the current formulation. It's not that it hits you over the head with animalics, rather it's so subtle the body odor really smells like it's coming from the wearer and not the perfume! That's the part I can't really reconcile, but maybe one day I'll get over it. I certainly marvel at its construction and timelessness, smells totally modern to me unlike say Equipage which very much smells of a certain time.

-John Cage

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Absolutely! I had this realization working backward through the catalog, when I hit Eau d'Hermes I was like wow this is like the mother sauce of Ellena's style. It's got all the hallmarks of Ellena's work for Hermes, bright citrus with the warm hum of spice underneath, light and sheer but diffusive and long lasting, a pinch of something bodily. Epice Marine especially feels like an update on Eau d'Hermes.

Unfortunately for me, I just can't get over the skank of Eau d'Hermes, even the current formulation. It's not that it hits you over the head with animalics, rather it's so subtle the body odor really smells like it's coming from the wearer and not the perfume! That's the part I can't really reconcile, but maybe one day I'll get over it. I certainly marvel at its construction and timelessness, smells totally modern to me unlike say Equipage which very much smells of a certain time.
    Ha! Awesome! You see it, too! Core Hermès!

I totally hear you about that subtle skank factor. My wife has "musk hyperosmia" so she rebels against anything that steps over the line - I have to be so subtle with anything of that nature or she thinks I brought in a catbox!

One trick I use to wear Eau d'Hermès around my wife or publicly is a fresh clean black t-shirt sprayed lightly with it, either spot-sprayed or misted - otherwise I'm dressed casually but nicely, like I took a walk, came back from tennis, etc. I'm shooting for "clean but glowing". Works best in the morning. 2-3 light sprays.

Works great. My wife will order me into the shower at the drop of a hat, but EdH on the shirt but not skin sails right past her. She likes it but can't place it. She's even given me a couple of "manly man" compliments when I did this, too. LOL!

Skin kills the fresh balance. That's the secret, IMO.

I wore TdH Très Fraîche this evening, and was reminded how pleasant and versatile it is.

I came here hoping to say as much, exactly.

My wife encouraged me to buy Galop in duty free, and she thinks it's my best masculine in my current rotation. She will not wear it. She loves Jour d'Hermès, but only likes Galop on me.

In my opinion, Galop is the Hermès counterpart of Chanel's Égoïste.

It's a great one! It's actually quite strong, but the nose quickly goes blind to it. Give yourself time, and it becomes easier to smell.
    Galop.. Is that actually markeded as a female fragrance?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Yes, though half-heartedly, in my opinion. It's listed as a women's, but the ads seem to lean weirdly unisex. I think so many women find it too masculine, that the SAs promote it as unisex to make sales, and perhaps also because so many men like it. The SA in duty free dragged me straight to it from whatever else I was looking at. She promoted the rose as female, the leather as male, and the old "skin gender brings out" BS, but it's all psychology. I think more men like it here than women. It was a bit of a risky buy for me, but I'm glad I took the chance.

Eau d'Hermes +1

Voyage EdT or Parfum

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    So which Hermes men’s fragrances would you choose ahead of H24?
    I would certainly take a look at Terre d'Hermes (original EdT or Pure Parfum in my opinion - nothing else) if you haven't tried it already. Depending on your climate, one may work better than the other but I can justify owning both types for different seasons.

I totally recommend Bel Ami (again, the original only) which has become a benchmark leather for me and somewhat of a signature scent (along with a few others, including Terre).

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Yup, all the marketing speaks of it as a feminine scent and I guess that's due to the florals. But the leather aspect make me think if they got the marketing wrong with this one. It could easily be sold as a masculine or as unisex.

That aside, it really made me do a double-take when I first tried it in an airport duty free. Might be one to revisit soon though. By the way, the 125ml refill bottle is actually going for less or about the same as the 50ml size in the fancy bottle (which looks cool I must admit) here in the UK. You just need to shop around a bit.

Bel Ami Vetiver
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Common Lackey

Eau d'Hermes, to my nose, is a scent that was developed as a Feminine scent as it has similarity to
    the scent of a Woman's lap. A comforting scent for me.
    Yes - I am also sure Roudnitska had women in mind first, with men being able to wear it. The thing that is important to add, though, to all of these apt descriptions of the animalic aspects of the fragrance, which go to any point about humans, is that it smells like a perfumed person. In my opinion, it's the warmth that he wanted to convey. Thus, to my nose there is a counteracting freshness which comes across as cleanliness and expensive grooming and dressing at the same time. The whole package is genius of both art and craft.
    Another mark of its genius: it seems to smell like whichever lap was your favorite one to bury your nose in.

Eau d'Orange Verte (or the Concentre version) and Bel Ami make the perfect pair of Hermes classics IMO.

For me, in this order : Equipage, Bel Ami, Equipage Geranium (summer), Bel Ami Vetiver, Terre EdT.

For a steam note, try Penhaligon's Sartorial, not H24.
    Summer is here : greens, vetiver, aromatics. Selecting from : Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT; Guerlain Vetiver, Etro Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Knize Sec; Caron Yatagan; . Evening : Etro Ambra, Etro Shaal Nur; Knize Ten, Penhaligon's Elixir.