Code of Conduct

Default Has anyone else here turned a friend on to this fantastic hobby?

I have a longtime friend from a neighboring state so used to wear a fragrance only a handful of times annually for special occasions, and his wardrobe consisted of one after shave and a bottle of lagerfeld that he'd owned for years.

I introduced him to a few fragrances before a night on the town, and he appreciated the added atmosphere a good scent can create. Ever since, we've compared and swapped when we get together. He's hooked now. Last I knew he had close to 30 scents in his wardrobe.
    Current rotation:
    Polo Green(Warner version)
    Calvin(original)
    Dakar(prefer it to current drakkar noir)
    LPDO Vanille Persuasive
    Kenzo Jungle Home
    Mercedes Benz Private
    Terre d'Hermes EDT

Default Re: Has anyone else here turned a friend on to this fantastic hobby?

Yes. I've convinced a few coworkers to get appreciating fragrances.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Yes - quite a few employees in my company.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Nope, nada

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Nope, nada

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
    Me neither.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I've definitely gotten some people I know either into "fragrance skilled living", "fragrance fashion awareness", or "fragrance quality buying", but no hobbyists like here.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

I've gifted a couple of frags to my nephew but I doubt this will ever be a "hobby" to him.

My biggest accomplishment is getting my wife to "accept" the constant smells wafting around the house. She is not interested in fragrances at all though and will never be.
    Spray less, love more.

No interest from anyone I know.

My partner just started his collection with Crepuscule by Atelier des Ors and Acqua Sextius by Jul et Mad!
    Last edited by Janjanjan; 24th May 2021 at 09:19 PM.

Still trying to get the wife into it after a few years haha, some people just have no desire lol.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Missing Oakmoss

Alas, no. My friends just look at me with blank expressions whenever I mention the subject (which isn't very often, admittedly).

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Alas, no. My friends just look at me with blank expressions whenever I mention the subject (which isn't very often, admittedly).
    Same here. The only person in my life with any interest at all in perfumes is my boss, and she doesn't really care to discuss it much, but is pleased when I come up with a sample of something I think she'd like. (And she's been wonderfully generous with perfume gifts to me on birthdays and holidays.)

Have tried but had no success.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Not friends. But my two younger sons appreciate fragrances a lot. They both have about a half a dozen bottles by now.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Apart from some relatives in both immediate and more extended family, this hobby brought be closer to friends already into this, but perhaps not having had the opportunity to exchange that much beneficial interaction, useful advice, interesting presents/giveaways if it was not for this hobby and more openly, intensely, frequently discussing the topic

The young son of a female coworker has turned into a very young scent freak!
    If I were a good man, I'd understand the spaces between friends

Sillage Monster

I used to have a Jo Malone buddy at work but that's about it. My sister is into department store fragrances that garner compliments, so I can't buy her anything really good because she does not appreciate it. Most people I know are neutral about scent and a couple of good friends are actually fearful or hostile. One lady friend is afraid to wear anything too "strong" (almost everything) and a guy friend thinks people's "natural" odors should be good enough. Thank goodness I've been able to connect with a couple SAs for occasional in-person conversations.
    Last edited by Trilby Lark; 11th May 2021 at 08:00 PM.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    The young son of a female coworker has turned into a very young scent freak!
    You have that power!

Your sig:

FREE AS THE WIND!

Corrupting the youth!

To good taste!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I've definitely gotten some people I know either into "fragrance skilled living", "fragrance fashion awareness", or "fragrance quality buying", but no hobbyists like here.
    As for fragrance fashion awareness/fragrance quality buying, several years ago I got one of my friends aware of the Creed brand, she ended up acquiring a few bottles between herself and her husband.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

Yes, both of my exes. They each have their own collection now.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Check out my Sale Thread
    Check out my Swap Thread
    My Fragrantica Wardrobe

Basenotes Institution

Quite a few.

Actually many people and even started a topic on it inside the one team sports message board I go to under off topics. It was about everyone’s hobbies but I started it as my hobby. Many appreciated it or were very curious being sports nuts. I’m much more open about it now and have a brother who asks me questions now, my Dad will talk to me about his old stuff, my wife is way more accepting etc.
    "Desperation is a stinky cologne."
    --Super Troopers
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DEMON View Post
    He's hooked now.
    No, and that's why haha! I'd be much more concerned about having a female partner 'hooked' to be honest. Most men are going to be immune to the allure of fragcomm but women are much more susceptible to the applied marketing and psychology and, thus far, most girls/women I've been with have either been uninterested or slightly 'weirded' by more than 5 fragrances; which is a good thing in my view as it shows that this is still a 'fringe' indulgence and not something that has got its hooks in to the mainstream, unlike, say, social media use, 'binge watching' netflix and so on. But I'd definitely be worried about expressing an interest and enjoyment of fragrances to a female partner which in turn became a way for them to fall prey to the tactics and conditioning that pushes people in to overindulgence and so on. Which is why I've kept this away from women I've been involved with over the last 2 years. No doubt 200 odd samples would freak someone out haha.

As for friends, I wouldn't want to try to push someone in to behaviour that quite clearly has addictive elements for the sake of having an enabler. If someone is interested in fragrances then great. If they're prone to buying shit loads of frivolous beauty products in a short space of time with no prior interest or desire then they don't need that sort of temptation brought in to their life by me or anyone else.

I have to think (hope?) that there's a happy medium but I'm not sure where or how. Perhaps it involves zero use of social media as that seems to be what pushes and 'normalises' most men in particular in buying a lot of perfume. Or even then, maybe there's a happy medium with internet use i.e. just sticking to 'male lifestyle' blogs that will give you the basics (like note categories, when to wear, how much to apply, different brands) that will suit most men well for life. Basically, the antithesis of the GQ listicles, something like the Art of Manliness used to do 5 or so years ago but it seems like any blog on that sort of thing is bought and paid for by sponsorship, rendering 'honest', useful, and to-the-point advice either invisible or vilified. But even then, if those sort of blogs are/were out there, fragrance is still a short term thing. I don't think fragrance is a durable or interesting 'world' for most men: it's a short-lived thing, where a short period of investing (well directed) time and money yields significant rewards in terms of appreciation and the quality of your fragrance. But it's not a world to constantly revisit, nor is it a particularly social endeavour in the real world. I think fragrance is an inherently solitary pursuit in some sense, one that is experienced socially when you wear it but doesn't really produce anything greater than 'oh, that smells nice' or 'you're wearing too much fragrance'. It's not something you can sit around a campfire and discuss for 2 hours with friends unless you've found each other through the appreciation of fragrance i.e. you probably already work in the industry. That's precisely why social media is so successful as it is the virtual campfire for this fringe interest. I think, for the most part, fragrance is always going to be just a short term thing for the majority of men for a number of social and historial reasons that aren't worth overanalysing. I know that after the first few weeks of my own search, the returns diminished greatly, but that might have been due to the 'focus' of, for instance, fragrantica and the blogs I was reading: they weren't actually all that great at getting to the nuts and bolts of advice or what I wanted, there were purposes and interests of more primary concern than helping other people receive short term advice on fragrances. As a result I had to learn that lesson the hard way with a lot of crap blind buys which turned in to an extensive pursuit of sampling that, still, didn't really leave me anywhere 'better' than when I started. The pandemic allowed me to 'push on through' and hone in on what I really liked but if we hadn't been locked down for a year would that have been possible? I don't know.

So, with that in mind, no, I wouldn't even want to get a friend hooked on fragrances even if I could. I think the nature of being 'hooked' is what I refer to as the carousel and it's not exactly a good thing.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

I always gravitate toward open-minded people. Intellectual curiosity types. As such, I’ve introduced quite a few friends to fragrance art appreciation. Several have taken to buying fine fragrances, though they’re nowhere near my mania for this hobby. That’s ok. I find their quirky hobbies interesting, too.

A good conversation-starter: “Everyone collects something. What do you collect?” I love learning about collections and hobbies I know nothing about.

Major scores: model railroading, quilting, photography, art, music, vintage games and toys. Love it when I run into other collectors and hobbyists.

I did. But then he lost his sense of smell.
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Couldn‘t have said it better.

Nope