Code of Conduct

Thread: ambroxan help

Default ambroxan help

Hello
    I am just starting to make my own fragrances and looking for some help/
    I am a big fan of single note fragrances and would like some help with ambroxan.
    I purchased some ambroxan from perfumers apprentice and their perfumers alcohol.
    I am trying to make a fragrance using just ambroxan . I have mixed 1 gram ambroxan crystals to 50ml of perfumers alcohol.
    The result is a scent that I can not smell, very faint. Am I using to little ambroxan? I understand the hide and seek nature of ambroxan, but I can barely smell it. I have used scent strips and waited a day to see if it would smell, but not much. should I use more ambroxan (like 2 or 3 grams per 50ml)? What have you folks used for a ambroxan only fragence? Thanks in advance.

Default Re: ambroxan help

To me that is plenty of Ambroxan. But, "to me" are key words there.

What you have is equivalent to, if a perfume were 20% strength, having 1 gram Ambroxan per 10 mL of concentrate, which is 10%. (Well, weight to volume* anyway.) Whopping.

What is happening IMO is not a problem with Ambroxan or your amount of it, but that at least presently, you don't perceive Ambroxan much.

Single-ingredient "perfumes," btw, are more a gimmick than a great thing. Is it that you like the idea or the performance? If performance, performance of which? Certainly not Ambroxan, for you!

Working with Ambroxan in fragrances with many ingredients, over time you may come to smell it very well.

* More preferably, a 20% concentration fragrance would have 10 grams of concentrate in a total weight of 50 grams.

As another novice perfumer, I can confirm that ambroxide can take practice to smell in isolation. Saturate a smelling strip with the 2% ambroxan solution you made & practice smelling it several times per day when your nose is "rested", continuing every day for weeks. This should enable you to "learn" to smell it well. I'm pretty sure for most people, it is not a mega-strong scent on its own, although maybe there are some ambroxide super smellers.

Basenotes Plus

triple the dose and then try to smell. then make it 6g to 50ml, if you can't smell it.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    triple the dose and then try to smell. then make it 6g to 50ml, if you can't smell it.
    go to 6g in 50ml to see if I like the smell . would you say after that it just may not be a good fit for me as a single not perfume? do you go that high in your formulations?

Basenotes Plus

Dior Sauvage is about 11% Ambroxan.
    No, I don't go that high myself in my formulations...
    But you ARE only adding one molecule, so you have to have enough qty in there to smell...
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

But wouldn't that be 11 percent of concentrate, and more like 2 percent of finished product?

Which the OP is already at.

?

Basenotes Plus

I'm a beginner, have only been in possession of my Pell Wall Ambrofix for less than a year. Absolutely love the stuff (made my sister some BR 540 type, so need an ambroxan top-up already!)

Here's a strategy you can use to help learn/notice the smell of ambroxan. Create a small amount of 10% concentration mix and dip a strip - get it nice and saturated. Sit the strip in a holder and place it in a room with little airflow so the scent can radiate throughout the room. Leave the room for a while and avoid other sources of ambroxan - take a break in the fresh air outside. A while later, return to the room and you have a high chance of noticing the ambroxan smell in the air. I've found that a warm room may work better (for instance if your computer has a warm air vent, place it there).

I have also found that when I try to wear some plain ambroxan diluted in ethanol in the crook of my elbow, it also does not last for as long as you'd expect. Try applying to your clothing instead or try a different solvent. Experiment with a mix of Hedione and ambroxan, cedarwood and ambroxan, or in the case of BR 540 ethyl maltol and ambroxan etc. to get an idea of the effect it can have on other materials, and you'll pick up the common link which might help you detect it more easily in isolation.

Juliette Has a Gun Not a Perfume uses Cetalox specifically, which I've found is much more present in the air.

As much as I love the smell of ambroxan, and have spent time on this type of experiment, I agree with Bill's comments above about the novelty/gimmick nature of single material "perfumes". I'm now over it, and have moved on to chasing other accords.