Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Great contrasting scents recommandation needed!

Hello all,

Do you have in mind a great scent that offers interesting contrasts (within the scent DNA, not contrast with environment or weather)?

What I mean by contrasting scent is basically a scent that has 2 (or 3) facet that are very different but compliment well at the same time.
    So not exactly the same as complex fragrances that evolve during its drydown

For instance: Ani by Nishane - a warm vanilla that is contrasted with a fresh and zesty bergamot/pink pepper/ginger combo
    Or Carnal flower by F. Malle that offer nice elegant white flowers with touch of dirtiness from the melon/musk/coconut combo
    In the same vein, although not that huge of a fan like the others, Eau Scandaleuse by Lebreton: again, a tuberose contrasted with leather accord and peach
    finally, 1899 by HdP, another type of contrasted oriental where the vanilla is also counterbalanced by fresh bergamot and firy pepper

Ani, 1899 and Carnal Flowerr all belong to my top favourites samples those last few months and was eager to discover more in that spirit
    Many thanks in advance!

Default Re: Great contrasting scents recommandation needed!

Try Ex Nihilo French Affair. It's nicely floral with just enough dirt.

I just experienced this with Lauder for Men the other day. Alternating between bracing in a mildly astringent fashion and warm spicy.

Also from the Amouages I own, Memoir Man and Epic Man are somewhat contrasting or at least multi-faceted. Memoir for me is balancing between almost-too-sweet and not-so-sweet in a way that makes it interesting.
    Spray less, love more.

Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT - sweet/dry

Cartier Declaration EDT - fresh/dirty

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme

The first fragrance I think of is Imaginary Authors "Cape Heartache". The coniferous wood notes and strawberry contrast in an oddly pleasing sort of way.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

702 by Bon Parfrmeur does this nicely IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Eau des Baux

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Eau des Baux
    own it, it is great

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Kouros - fresh / warm

Also adding LM Black Oud for a dark, woody oud with paradoxically a classic, almost traditionally French style floral-citrus opening
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

+1 Declaration EdT
    Gucci pour Homme II (rubbery, then soothingly fresh tea, then warm and spicy)
    Richard James Savile Row
    Le 3eme Homme de Caron
    Je suis un Homme (wonderfully bright bergamot opening, then leathery, late dry down strongly reminds me of “Spekulatius“ (spiced cookies))

Hey everyone, thanks for the suggestions!
    Will try most of them sicne they are quite accessible

Chanel Egoiste and Guerlain Heritage.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777
    2022 Generation Man

Fresh mint and yuzu over dark oud and wood. One of my favorites.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777
    2022 Generation Man

Fresh mint and yuzu over dark oud and wood. One of my favorites.
    Any clue where I could find this to get a sample in a EU online decant/sample store ?

I find Mistral Patchouli to be a really unique and unlikely take on a patchouli within a cologne structure - patch is usually a warm resinous earthy note but paired with a cool anise, geranium, and the citrus of pomelo makes it totally different

These fragrances can be very interesting.
    In Amouage Lyric Man I get a soapy/clean smell at the same time there’s a dirty note.
    In Comme des Garçons Wonderoud I get bitter and sweet notes at the same time.
    I believe the harmonic coexistence of opposites in fragrances is something just more experienced or talented noses do well, if we disregard top notes (in which citric notes are widely used and fades away before the sweetness comes).
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

A very interesting question. Followed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

Basenotes Member

Contradiction by CK of course. $25 at Burlington. Look no further.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    I'm partial to the fresh-but-dirty accord in that too. Also found in Eau de Patou, and of course the grandaddy of that contrast in style, Eau d'Hermes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I'm partial to the fresh-but-dirty accord in that too. Also found in Eau de Patou, and of course the grandaddy of that contrast in style, Eau d'Hermes.
    Eau d'Hermes is a gap in my fragrance experience. I need to order at least a sample from somewhere. Declaration was an instant love for me. Clicked for me in a way few fragrances have (actually, I tried Declaration Essence first, and it clicked, too, beautifully, but the original even moreso).

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme

MPG Route du Vetiver is an interesting contrast in astringent, bright red fruit and earthy, face-in-the-dirt vetiver.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Common Lackey

Eau d'Hermes is a gap in my fragrance experience. I need to order at least a sample from somewhere. Declaration was an instant love for me. Clicked for me in a way few fragrances have (actually, I tried Declaration Essence first, and it clicked, too, beautifully, but the original even moreso).
    Then it's almost a dead cert you'll like Eau d'Hermes. JC Ellena created Declaration as a tribute to it and to its creator, Roudnitska.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Interlude Man.

The scent seems so huge, dark and brooding with incense, leather, patchouli and opoponax, but rising above it all is freshness from citrus and herbs - especially oregano, which in this case smells like fresh natural oregano. It smells almost minty.

And deep within the scent is something sweet - but not cloyingly sweet. It's more like a gentle soothing sweet, almost like caramel.

Interlude man is like a study in contradictions.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Reflection Man
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Aqua Universalis
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Pomelo Paradis
    Amouage Silver Man
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Boy Chanel by Chanel

Thanks for all the tips, I have two more fragrances that came to mind:
    Ambre Russe by Parfum d'Empire: Rich/Warm/Smooth with sparkling/fresh character
    Naxos by Xerjoff: Warm/cozy honey-tobacco with fresh/summery vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Janjanjan View Post
    I find Mistral Patchouli to be a really unique and unlikely take on a patchouli within a cologne structure - patch is usually a warm resinous earthy note but paired with a cool anise, geranium, and the citrus of pomelo makes it totally different
    I need to look further into atelier cologne. I have a niche store not to far from my home where they have their whole line will take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by Smellyicious View Post
    Contradiction by CK of course. $25 at Burlington. Look no further.
    Never heard or seen it, need to open my eyes next time I go to a store

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    These fragrances can be very interesting.
    In Amouage Lyric Man I get a soapy/clean smell at the same time there’s a dirty note.
    In Comme des Garçons Wonderoud I get bitter and sweet notes at the same time.
    I believe the harmonic coexistence of opposites in fragrances is something just more experienced or talented noses do well, if we disregard top notes (in which citric notes are widely used and fades away before the sweetness comes).
    Never tried Wonderoud (not huge oud fan, but there are many variations). But I really like their Wonderwood.
    Lyric man is a good example, I have sampled it not too long ago but I am not big fan of it for the exact reasons you mentionned: Soapy/rose. My partner likes it, gave her my sample
    [...] Eau de Patou, and of course the grandaddy of that contrast in style, Eau d'Hermes.
    Never seen those, but while looking at note eau de Patou and Eau d'Hermes they look like something I would like!

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    MPG Route du Vetiver is an interesting contrast in astringent, bright red fruit and earthy, face-in-the-dirt vetiver.
    MPG have affordable discovery set, might invest athough I am not usually fan of dirty vetivers (but with fruity contrast, could be awesome!)

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Interlude Man.

The scent seems so huge, dark and brooding with incense, leather, patchouli and opoponax, but rising above it all is freshness from citrus and herbs - especially oregano, which in this case smells like fresh natural oregano. It smells almost minty.

And deep within the scent is something sweet - but not cloyingly sweet. It's more like a gentle soothing sweet, almost like caramel.

Interlude man is like a study in contradictions.
    Interlude man was a mystery when I tried it. I get what you mean, but the coriander note was odd for me. And I could not pick the sweetness you mention. Might have been a different story if i did.. Gave my sample to a friend

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Never tried Wonderoud (not huge oud fan, but there are many variations). But I really like their Wonderwood.
    Lyric man is a good example, I have sampled it not too long ago but I am not big fan of it for the exact reasons you mentionned: Soapy/rose. My partner likes it, gave her my sample
    Wonderoud is very close to Wonderwood. You should give it a try.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Spicebomb by Viktor & Rolf

Then it's almost a dead cert you'll like Eau d'Hermes. JC Ellena created Declaration as a tribute to it and to its creator, Roudnitska.
    Perfumed Court has it, so now I'm adding some other small decants of some things I ought to have tried by now to justify the order...

Current Favorites:

I really like the herbal/rubharb note played off the vanilla in Scandal Parfum Cologne.

Also makes me think of Aoud Lemon Mint.... I mean, it's right there in the name.

Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT - sweet/dry

Made a very quick trip to a perfume store and asked to smell for Habit rouge. This stuff is fantastic. This is not something I would have had in mind when I created this topic but I can see why. And I am happy to have tested it (not sure what took me so long...)

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Made a very quick trip to a perfume store and asked to smell for Habit rouge. This stuff is fantastic. This is not something I would have had in mind when I created this topic but I can see why. And I am happy to have tested it (not sure what took me so long...)
    Awesome. I waited a long time to test it, too; it's a pretty cool composition, and I'm glad you were able to try it. Not something I would wear often, so I don't own a bottle, but I have a small decant. I like it on a cool summer evening, when all of the textures - dust, cream, citrus juice, and wood - seem to be almost tangible.

Current Favorites: