Code of Conduct

Default How Much Highly Sought After Perfumes You Think Are Just Sitting Out There?

I was at a Chanel Boutique today, and the thought struck me to check out their testers. Sure enough there right out in plain display if someone simply turned the bottle around were two bottles of 31 Rue Cambon the EDT version. Of course Chanel being Chanel they won't allow them to be sold, and I have nowhere near enough rapport with the Sales Associate to be gifted anything, so there they will just sit. They've already been there for at least five years, and probably will be until some SA steals them to list on eBay, or they get thrown in the trash. So frustrating that there will sit bottles that can't even be sold, aren't even accurate representations of the current product, so have no right being displayed, and yet there's nothing to do about it. Funny enough Chanel tells their Sales Associates those are factice bottles (perhaps so they don't steal them?), and a lot of them never even bother testing to see if any actual perfume is in them.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: How Much Highly Sought After Perfumes You Think Are Just Sitting Out There?

Bummer!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: How Much Highly Sought After Perfumes You Think Are Just Sitting Out There?

Only a liter or two here. Less than five, surely. I might get to some of those bottles, eventually.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    They've already been there for at least five years, and probably will be until some SA steals them to list on eBay, or they get thrown in the trash.
    Surely you must have had at least a fleeting temptation to steal them yourself? I know it certainly would have crossed my mind, especially if I found testers of the EDT version of Sycomore.

Not that I would have acted on it, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Only a liter or two here. Less than five, surely. I might get to some of those bottles, eventually.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

"I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Surely you must have had at least a fleeting temptation to steal them yourself? I know it certainly would have crossed my mind, especially if I found testers of the EDT version of Sycomore.

Not that I would have acted on it, of course.

Tell you what next time I'm there I'll see if Sycomore EDT is hidden away, and if it is I'll fly you out, and we'll heist the joint.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I'm sure this happens quite often in many high-end fragrance boutiques. Doesn't bother me I guess as I personally would never buy a brand new tester let alone a used one that has been sitting on a counter, but that's just me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'm sure this happens quite often in many high-end fragrance boutiques. Doesn't bother me I guess as I personally would never buy a brand new tester let alone a used one that has been sitting on a counter, but that's just me.
    We're not all millionaires hednic I'd stoop as low as buying a *gasp* used perfume if it was something I'd really want.

heh heh. I noticed by the way that they don't display Antaeus anymore, and it's not available on their website either -- I am talking about Neiman Marcus btw. I hope that situation is just a shortage, and it's not on it's way to be a Europe exclusive like Pour Monsieur.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Tell you what next time I'm there I'll see if Sycomore EDT is hidden away, and if it is I'll fly you out, and we'll heist the joint.
    Don't tempt me....

It brings me back to the days that I was experiencing the vintage Creeds for the first time. Many years ago, I remember there was an unopened bottle of Green Valley that an SA accidentally pulled out at Neiman. The reason that it couldn't be sold because it was no longer part of the sales listing.

Another would be the 100ml Dior Homme Intense silver collar that was on display at the Dior boutique. That one was a hard to walk away from, you could see the batch code on the bottle which revealed it being one of the earliest bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    It brings me back to the days that I was experiencing the vintage Creeds for the first time. Many years ago, I remember there was an unopened bottle of Green Valley that an SA accidentally pulled out at Neiman. The reason that it couldn't be sold because it was no longer part of the sales listing.

Another would be the 100ml Dior Homme Intense silver collar that was on display at the Dior boutique. That one was a hard to walk away from, you could see the batch code on the bottle which revealed it being one of the earliest bottles.
    I get that Chanel, Creed, whatever is a business, and businesses have protocols, but it's just so wrong that this legitimately good product is just wasting away. They use those bottles as decorations just let me have it, and replace it with the new stuff. Won't happen, but you wish.

(almost) as much and as far as both demand and supply are able and willing to go
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet