Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What did the pandemic teach you about your fragrance tastes?

I am curious how the pandemic-slash-quarantine affected your perfume life, and what you learned about your own tastes in the last year. Perhaps you did a deeper dive into what you own, had more private moments with your collection, or made big changes to it. I would love to hear how this time period has altered people's understanding of their tastes or their relation to scent!

For me, I quarantined with a partner and couldn't take my whole collection with me. Being forced to artificially cull my rotation taught me a couple of things:

First, what I enjoyed wearing and what I say I like most (or identify with most) in my collection weren't lining up

I learned to appreciate comfort, wear-ability, and a little more femme energy in a fragrance rather than envelope-pushing or statement making. Partially a function of no longer needing to express my personality in public places perhaps. Other than my OG Eau de Lierre I almost entirely abandoned the edgy green-aromatic fragrances or the austere incenses that used to define me - no LAVS, no Corsica Furiosa, the Messe de Minuit that I used to adore started to actually repulse me. Papyrus de Ciane, a favorite work fragrance for its angular intelligence and ability to combat the male gaze, sat virtually unused. I gave away Reve d'Ossian. I left Tan-Tan behind in my apartment (though to be honest I never wore it regularly I just think it's so darn weird in a good way).

Instead I was wearing - gasp - florals! Roses no less - Shanti Shanti (all purpose rose & sandalwood), Bed of Roses (musky with oomph), and Lustre (rose & frankincense), with the occasional Rose Magnetic (springy with grapefruit). When roses weren't doing heavy lifting I spent time with equally "round objects" - easily used 1/2 a bottle of Madame Butterfly II by Senyoko, wore Jasmine Smoke to bed with abandon, and completely eschewed the stark and resinous MadHats for his floral XVI. While not floral, I still found the gentle earthiness of Tempo and Erdenstern a comfort - the latter being the only fragrance formerly in my top 5 to retain any meaningful use during pandemic times.

Forced into exploring the private side of my fragrance tastes taught me a lot I must say.

Second, I realized that spending time searching for new scents was preventing me from enjoying the gems I already own.

I have done a lot of work to build my collection over several years, and compulsive sampling like I was doing pre-COVID prevented me from reaping the benefits. Spending meaningful, quality time with what I already own was in fact *better* and *more enjoyable* than the never ending questing. It deepened my affection for things I was neglecting, stretched my understanding of my own taste as it has developed over time, and expanded my appreciation for the wearable art I already own.

Third - working with a smaller rotation is kind of a relief!

Having 4-8 stellar scents you know you love to pick from is so much EASIER than the agonized decision-making of facing down with 50-ish choices (which is the size of my FB collection). For this reason I highly recommend folks join in on the approach encouraged by the "Perfume Rotations" thread here on BN: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...ations-in-2021 - it's a great way to learn your wardrobe and your tastes more intimately.

So do tell - did the pandemic teach you anything new about your relationship with fragrance?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: What did the pandemic teach you about your fragrance tastes?

It didn't teach me anything nor alter my fragrance tastes, but it encouraged more online fragrance buying from abroad which was a positive.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I went through some sort of melancholic/nostalgic phase and bought some favorites in vintage. I had a bit of extra cash being one of the lucky ones who kept their jobs through the pandemic.

It is quite uncharacteristic. I am very disappointed with the evolution of the fragrance business but I had decided to move forward. Hard for a chypre girl. I suppose that this nostalgia is rooted in the same reasons why people found comfort in watching their favorites old TV series.

Now I am left with too many bottles and I feel a bit lost. I fancy myself starting from scratch, not collecting fragrances but buying one scent and then moving to the next. Most likely cruelty free brands.

I will wait until things get back to «*normal*». Most likely I will find comfort again in my old favorites. Scent memories are hard to shake.
    Currently wearing: Classic Chypre by Esteban

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It didn't teach me anything nor alter my fragrance tastes, but it encouraged more online fragrance buying from abroad which was a positive.
    I just noticed Hednic that you partially live in Brazil - are there any Brazilian perfume houses you recommend?

Parfum de Peau - I think about starting from scratch sometimes too, it has a certain appeal! I am getting interested in chypres - do share if there is a genre within this family or top picks you like

Quote Originally Posted by Janjanjan View Post
    I just noticed Hednic that you partially live in Brazil - are there any Brazilian perfume houses you recommend?
    There seem to be a zillion of late, none of which I personally would recommend, but I will say that the O Boticario house has the largest dissemination in the market of the national houses and I have found living there that it is respected by the locals.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Common Lackey

So do tell - did the pandemic teach you anything new about your relationship with fragrance?
    I can't say that it "taught" me anything about my fragrance attitudes, but spending so much time at home, away from the public gaze (or the public sniff), caused me to give far more wearings to my less sociable scents, like big animalics and masculines that I'm sometimes timid about subjecting to public scrutiny.

I think it also dampened my sense of adventurousness in scents. I ordered a ton of samples and discovery sets, and found virtually no joy in any of them, returning over & over to more familiar fragrances, though I think a large part of that could be attributed to the dismal state of current mainstream perfumery.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I will say that the O Boticario house has the largest dissemination in the market of the national houses and I have found living there that it is respected by the locals.
    They also make a helluva line of home fragrances, notably one called just "Havana".

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

Parfum de Peau - I think about starting from scratch sometimes too, it has a certain appeal! I am getting interested in chypres - do share if there is a genre within this family or top picks you like
    Check out Dryad from Papillon, Chypre Siam from Rogue, and Casablanca from St Clair.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    They also make a helluva line of home fragrances
    Yes these are very popular.

During the whole time there has been a lot of government- and self-imposed confinement to my apartment but I managed to expand that by additionally “living in three houses”: Chanel, Guerlain and Mugler. And I discovered their offerings are highly satisfactory. That leaves 14 other file boxes of perfume I haven’t really needed at all…
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Azurée by Estée Lauder

Nothing changed for me in terms of taste but I did pick up a record number of backup bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Nothing changed for me in terms of taste but I did pick up a record number of backup bottles.
    Oof. This was my weakness, too. What was I preparing for, exactly? A Mad Max end-of-the-world scenario? Roving gangs of murderous hot-rod hooligans, raiding villages for their stocks of gasoline and Gucci Rush?

That our money is probably devalued so that $400 perfume is really closer to $275-300 so might as well get what you want before the prices go up.

Quote Originally Posted by LinePlaneVolume View Post
    Check out Dryad from Papillon, Chypre Siam from Rogue, and Casablanca from St Clair.
    I was eyeing Dryad! Adding these all to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    During the whole time there has been a lot of government- and self-imposed confinement to my apartment but I managed to expand that by additionally “living in three houses”: Chanel, Guerlain and Mugler.
    Genius

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Oof. This was my weakness, too. What was I preparing for, exactly? A Mad Max end-of-the-world scenario? Roving gangs of murderous hot-rod hooligans, raiding villages for their stocks of gasoline and Gucci Rush?
    Hahahaha, yes, what else!

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by subhuman85 View Post
    Well, in your defense, Gucci Rush might be appropriate plunder for someone looking to power a combustion engine, although Bulgari Black would probably be higher octane.
    Last edited by Cook.bot; 13th May 2021 at 04:22 AM.

What did pandemic teach me about (my) fragrance tastes... Hah, what a question?
    Well, first off, that as long as I could smell anything accurately, I (in high likelihood) hadn't contracted SARS CoV-2 despite daily exposure,
    and thus I am not a vector, and thus, its another day in the ICU, and thus,... life goes on.
    Although delivering daily death news to a whole lot of families wouldn't change.

Smelling a scent in COVID-19 pandemic meant... alive and well (say it with a snarl).
    I had never been so overt in having perfume boxed bottles, or samples, candles, sitting every which where in the house.
    Odd, it's like they're a subconscious reminder to check every day, although on my part, this was not, is not a deliberate action.

To fight such an equal-opportunity devious set of genes, has been sort of a perfume-lament-in-silence.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Interesting thread idea!

I don't think anything too major, however, some views I had been nurturing for a while were cemented -

• I'd rather have a smaller wardrobe of 30-50 scents rather than my bloated stash currently around 130 (managed to reduce from 150). Definitely not more than double digits at any rate.

• I've grown to appreciate scents that are not that loud but instead form a gentle non-intrusive scent cloud.

• There are a gazillion brands and releases, and it's not possible to keep up with them. I've come to realise that my tastes lean towards certain styles; therefore I'm more
      focussed these days when it comes to trying/sampling. There is a long list of brands, even segments, that I avoid because I know they are not for me.

• There is a light that never goes out: there is still the quirky, irrational craving for perfumes that I've moved on from.

Over the last two days I've been craving Terre d'Hermes Parfum and TF Noir Anthracite (even though I'm 99% done with TF as a brand). Why? Because they would transport me to a week in October 2017: a week of sultry, humid days interspersed with rains, warm strangers, more than usual alcohol, a reunion with a high school friend, a hurricane warning that didn't happen, and music, music and more music - in the city of New Orleans. To me, Noir Anthracite is the smell of asphalt off the streets of New Orleans when the rain kicks in.

Interestingly, I went through a 75 ml bottle of Terre d'Hermes "Parfum" in my pre-Basenotes days, just a decade ago in 2011, when I lived in Bombay (Mumbai). I bought that bottle just at the end of summer, and wore it through the monsoon, when it rained like crazy and the city would flood. I wore it in New Orleans, too, and rain helped to tie the scent memories together.

Interestingly, it was been rainy, no, drizzle-y, with grey skies, over the past two weeks in Toronto.

Second, I realized that spending time searching for new scents was preventing me from enjoying the gems I already own.

I have done a lot of work to build my collection over several years, and compulsive sampling like I was doing pre-COVID prevented me from reaping the benefits. Spending meaningful, quality time with what I already own was in fact *better* and *more enjoyable* than the never ending questing. It deepened my affection for things I was neglecting, stretched my understanding of my own taste as it has developed over time, and expanded my appreciation for the wearable art I already own.
    Yes!

Third - working with a smaller rotation is kind of a relief!

Having 4-8 stellar scents you know you love to pick from is so much EASIER than the agonized decision-making of facing down with 50-ish choices (which is the size of my FB collection). For this reason I highly recommend folks join in on the approach encouraged by the "Perfume Rotations" thread here on BN: https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...ations-in-2021 - it's a great way to learn your wardrobe and your tastes more intimately.
    Another yes! I love that thread, though I am not that great at sticking to a rotation. Mainly because on the odd day I get a craving for wearing something not in my rotation. Plan to participate more there.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

I have amazing fragrances that I’ve been more appreciative of and have helped me cope with the stress of the pandemic. I’ve realized I already have a lot of excellent fragrances and don’t always need to search for many more as filler I just bought many back up bottles throughout the pandemic.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

when lockdown started I barely wore fragrance, now I have started wearing it again and where i keep my fragrances really matter in how much I wear them. If they are spread in a million boxes, and not easy to grab then I wont reach for my full bottles. Now I'm really enjoying fragrance again, but i wont wear my very melancholic fragrances. I need uplifting, comforting or weird.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Yes.

But mostly because a larger amount of my time spent in this hobby actually was during the ongoing pandemic.
    I started in Dec. 2019, frantically reading here. Bought my first perfume as a starting out fraghead in Jan. 2020. Wore stuff before but, you know, like normal people use to do. A few days before the pandemic really hit here in March, my first samples arrived. I had gone for some heavy hitters right away because I wanted to know “what it‘s like“ to smell something really appreciated and bewilderingly off the radar of people not into this hobby. That was Puredistance M, I also got Musc Ravageur, Silver Mountain Water, and others alongside it. I deliberately stumbled into the rabbit hole, so to speak. And fell down, smiling. A lot of (successful!) blind buying and sampling followed, my tastes got more defined, and I got rid of some stuff I liked, but didn‘t love.
    “Nowadays”, I know better what I want (at the moment, still pretty much a beginner to intermediate):
    - A selection of different scents in styles I love
    - Not owning anything I don’t wear
    - Keeping track of my journey, which includes logging, as well as the fact that I save a little of *every* scent that has gone through my hands
    - I don’t care about costs or availability and don’t equate them to quality. If something is cheap, I’m happy. If something is wildly expensive, I have to save up. If it’s discontinued, I’ll wait for an opportunity.
    - I don’t scalp.
    - I reasonably backup, although there’s already more than I’ll ever need. Some things you just might wear more often than others.
    - I usually try to get early formulations in the last months, because I value the original artistic expression. At the same time, I’m super happy if I like a scent, totally regardless of formulation (example: Héritage gold and wooden cap)
    - I don’t have a bottle limit. Maybe some day I will, or come to similar conclusions as freewheeling, but as of now, my criteria are not tied to numbers. Could all change between single and triple digits.
    - I love this hobby and wear perfume pretty much everyday. On the odd day, I deliberately don’t.
    Last edited by ThVH; 13th May 2021 at 11:13 AM.

I started buiyng and spraying a lot more - so much so, that it's got a bit out of hand. Remote work is fantastic anyway and highly preferred by me.

In this corner of the world, habitually smelling much of anything can get you labelled as the vain "cologne guy", who is seeking attention, maybe even intruding upon the personal space of others (a big no no over here). At home, I don't need to stress over any of that.
    Spray less, love more.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Fragrance as a mindfulness aid.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Good question.

It accelerated my search by making me confront the latent 'issues' with the fragrances I had chosen. I sampled hundreds of fragrances and found replacements that were better suited for my needs and wants.

It also helped me develop a better understanding of fragrance and hone the reactions and instincts I had towards 'fragcomm' in to coherent opinions.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Not much changed for me because of COVID-19. I already worked from home. If anything, I was spending less by always being home and had more money for perfume. Especially with stimulus checks. But I don’t think I bought more than previous years. I get something about monthly, it seems, regardless.

Basenotes Plus

Didn't make much of a difference for me.

Last year, I pretty much only wore vintage Polo, even in the high heat of summer. The only notable buying I did was backups of it.

Not sure if it came from being quarantined or predominantly wearing one fragrance, but I came to terms with notes I really like and ones I don’t.
    That really narrowed the field.
    With those new parameters in place I’ve done a bit of buying this year and I’ve found some new loves and even new favorite fragrances, which hasn’t happened in a long time.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I've found the pandemic to be a good time to stock up on back-ups too. Fragrances that have been unavailable for years have suddenly turned up on eBay, and at regular retail price - not even after-market prices. This may not be related to COVID but since I'm one of the fortunate ones that has extra money to burn, the timing has worked out.

Social distancing let me overspray more freely and with a peculiar abandon....
    White Light, White Heat!

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Social distancing let me overspray more freely and with a peculiar abandon....
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

I found refuge in old favourites - needing that extra comfort blanket, I suppose - and completely ignored anything that was new or niche.

Having contracted Covid a month ago, however, right now I'd be grateful to smell (almost) anything. I can't tell you how much I miss that extra boost you get from just a few daily spritzes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast