Code of Conduct

Default How many blades is enough?

A while ago, I made an on-line purchase. I got 50 Wilkinson Sword and 50 Astra double edge blades. A real bargain price.
    1 blade was giving me 4 shaves, lasting 12 days. At this rate, I had more than 3 years supply.
    In the meantime, I made several other purchases. Shaving soap, a new razor, 2 brushes and a replacement razor head.
    With each new purchase, I also received some sample blades.
    Along the way, I spotted another bargain price for 100 Lord Super Chrome. Well, it would be rude not to. So, I placed my order.

My 3 years supply has now doubled to 6 years.

So, I started replacing the blade after 2 shaves.

Recently, guess what? I spotted another bargain. 100 Shark Super Chrome (made by Lords). I could not resist.

Currently, I have approximately 250 blades and I am changing after every shave.

I still have more than 2 years supply.

Problem is, I just cannot resist a bargain.
    Currently residing in Blighty but biding my time when I shall return to my island of dreams.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: How many blades is enough?

IMO, you can never have too many.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

From a personal viewpoint alone, or 100 plus or even more so 250 plus blades are likely enough as a multi-annual supply, including for DE blades even if changing them after every shave.
    However, should the price on a further 100, 250 or more blades reserve be advantageous, would still not hesitate to recommend, purchase and stock up on this type of additional backup.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

How many passes are you doing with each blade during a shave? I know some people do three or four, but I'm a minimalist and do one pass with the grain and a pass across the grain around the jaw bone to get the bits that aren't close enough from the first pass. I figure that since my one and a half pass technique leads to a closer shave than I used to get from spending much longer with an electric razor, that's good enough.

I couldn't think of anything worse than changing a blade after one of my shaves, And changing a blade after two my shaves is nearly as bad for me. The only blade I change after four shaves is Shark Stainless Steel - because it is my mildest blade and it usually gets fairly blunt by then. I'll easily get 10 to 15 of my shaves with most of my other blades. With my Gillette Astra SP blades - the blade only starts to feel comfortable after I've done about 15 shaves with it, and it easily has another ten left in it.

When I first started shaving many decades ago, I'd use Wilkinson Sword blades and shave everyday - I'd spend a week with lots of nicks from the new blade, then two weeks enjoying the blade, then the final week with with poor shaves from a by then fairly blunt blade, because I dreaded having to start with a new one (mainly because we didn't have all the good creams available back then that we have now).

So basically, all your blades would give me 10 to 20 years supply at the various rates I've used them in the past, using my one and a half pass routine.

I really don't think you should be rushing to get through your blades - they won't go off or anything, and I suspect you will enjoy them more by using each blade more often.
    Cheers,
    Renato

I have about 1000 blades on hand. In my preferred brands, I go through roughly 1/wk, so I'm set for 20+ years. Some of these cost as little as $18/100, so there's no reason for me not to buy a few more if I come across a good deal. In a worst-case scenario, I give away several hundred to a younger wetshaver down the road.

Current Favorites:
    Prada Luna Rossa Carbon, Chanel Platinum Egoiste, Versace The Dreamer, Caron Pour un Homme Sport, Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    How many passes are you doing with each blade during a shave? I know some people do three or four, but I'm a minimalist and do one pass with the grain and a pass across the grain around the jaw bone to get the bits that aren't close enough from the first pass. I figure that since my one and a half pass technique leads to a closer shave than I used to get from spending much longer with an electric razor, that's good enough.

I couldn't think of anything worse than changing a blade after one of my shaves, And changing a blade after two my shaves is nearly as bad for me. The only blade I change after four shaves is Shark Stainless Steel - because it is my mildest blade and it usually gets fairly blunt by then. I'll easily get 10 to 15 of my shaves with most of my other blades. With my Gillette Astra SP blades - the blade only starts to feel comfortable after I've done about 15 shaves with it, and it easily has another ten left in it.

When I first started shaving many decades ago, I'd use Wilkinson Sword blades and shave everyday - I'd spend a week with lots of nicks from the new blade, then two weeks enjoying the blade, then the final week with with poor shaves from a by then fairly blunt blade, because I dreaded having to start with a new one (mainly because we didn't have all the good creams available back then that we have now).

So basically, all your blades would give me 10 to 20 years supply at the various rates I've used them in the past, using my one and a half pass routine.

I really don't think you should be rushing to get through your blades - they won't go off or anything, and I suspect you will enjoy them more by using each blade more often.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    I do two passes each shave. That gives me a very close shave that lasts for three days.

Having a good lubricant is the key to a good shave, not the blade. I use ProRaso and get an extremely thick lather with that brand.

To be honest, I have gone back to changing my blade every two weeks. Changing after every shave was such a waste.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TRBeck View Post
    I have about 1000 blades on hand. In my preferred brands, I go through roughly 1/wk, so I'm set for 20+ years. Some of these cost as little as $18/100, so there's no reason for me not to buy a few more if I come across a good deal. In a worst-case scenario, I give away several hundred to a younger wetshaver down the road.
    Its the "good deals" that always get me, just can't resist.
    Currently residing in Blighty but biding my time when I shall return to my island of dreams.

Quote Originally Posted by artlin View Post
    I do two passes each shave. That gives me a very close shave that lasts for three days.

Having a good lubricant is the key to a good shave, not the blade. I use ProRaso and get an extremely thick lather with that brand.

To be honest, I have gone back to changing my blade every two weeks. Changing after every shave was such a waste.
    You aren't wrong there about using the right soap or cream for a good shave.

I tend to favour the best creams because either they have great slickness (Trumpers, Art of Shaving, Crabtree &Evelyn, Gillette Pure and heaps of others) or the ones with assorted oils in them (Everyman Jack, L' Oreal Barber Club and others) which have a different form of lubrication which, while not as slick, reduce nicks. That said, when I use good soaps and a brush, the soaps don't have either the slickness or the oils, but seem to deliver a good shave regardless.

I know Proraso is much or most loved by many, but I'm not as fond of it. I've been using Proraso cream for the last ten years that I keep over there when on vacation in Italy - till two years ago - and it wasn't as good as my Crabtree and Evelyn (which I used at destinations in between). So I bought random tubes of Swiss and German made ones in a store in Croatia, and I thought both were better on my skin. That said, I do own plenty of tubes of shaving cream that I don't think are as good as Proraso. The Proraso shaving soap is a cut above average too, but I have ones I like better on my skin.

Have you noticed less nicks and rawness while still getting a good shave, after extending the time between blade replacement?

And which razor or razors are you using with your blades?
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 16th May 2021 at 06:47 PM.

Thanks Renato for you reply.

I am using the Jagger 89, I have 3 which I rotate.

I have absolutely no issues with nicks or cuts. I cannot recall the last time that I did not get a perfect shave.

I could, of course, get more use from each blade but changing every two weeks seems reasonable.

I also purchased some tubes of shaving cream in Croatia, Split market to be exact. Really good quality.

Basenotes Junkie

No harm in this. I've been thinking recently about how little unrecyclable wastage I produce when shaving the old-school way. Metal razors that last for years. Metal blades which you can now get in card packaging. Shaving soap refills that last for ages stored in an olive wood bowl. Brushes that can be made from natural materials and which also last for ages. Oil in a glass bottle. When I think about the sheer amount of plastic that goes into a single disposable razor, I start to get a bit angry nowadays.
    Currently wearing: Bukhara by Gallivant

Quote Originally Posted by artlin View Post
    Thanks Renato for you reply.

I am using the Jagger 89, I have 3 which I rotate.

I have absolutely no issues with nicks or cuts. I cannot recall the last time that I did not get a perfect shave.

I could, of course, get more use from each blade but changing every two weeks seems reasonable.

I also purchased some tubes of shaving cream in Croatia, Split market to be exact. Really good quality.
    I have a Jagger 89 and a Jagger 87 in my collection - fine, relatively mild razors - a good choice.

I'm surprised you haven't had any nick problems with Astra SPs - I rate them as my worst for nicks and alum stings. On Badger and Blade I was advised to cork them if I was having this problem with them (i.e.corking is literally to run the blade through a piece of cork several times), so it seems I wasn't the only one with this issue. I now always apply alum after a shave, and if I've been using Astra SPs I get lots of little alum stings from micro-nicks all over my face (same as I get with a milder blade using a poor soap or cream). But I get little or no alum stings with milder blades, meaning less likelihood of bumps or ingrown hairs.

Anyhow, from what you describe, you are doing extremely well. Though I bet you could easily stretch the Astra SPs out to three weeks before you noticed they weren't cutting as close as you had been getting.
    Cheers,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I have a Jagger 89 and a Jagger 87 in my collection - fine, relatively mild razors - a good choice.

I'm surprised you haven't had any nick problems with Astra SPs - I rate them as my worst for nicks and alum stings. On Badger and Blade I was advised to cork them if I was having this problem with them (i.e.corking is literally to run the blade through a piece of cork several times), so it seems I wasn't the only one with this issue. I now always apply alum after a shave, and if I've been using Astra SPs I get lots of little alum stings from micro-nicks all over my face (same as I get with a milder blade using a poor soap or cream). But I get little or no alum stings with milder blades, meaning less likelihood of bumps or ingrown hairs.

Anyhow, from what you describe, you are doing extremely well. Though I bet you could easily stretch the Astra SPs out to three weeks before you noticed they weren't cutting as close as you had been getting.
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Hello Renato

which blade(s) do you like to use? I've been using the Gilette 7 O'clock Yellow for the past year. I like them because they're quite sharp, as far as I can tell, but I can only use a blade twice. I'm running out so I'm up to try something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtesti View Post
    Hello Renato

which blade(s) do you like to use? I've been using the Gilette 7 O'clock Yellow for the past year. I like them because they're quite sharp, as far as I can tell, but I can only use a blade twice. I'm running out so I'm up to try something else.
    We must have very different skins and beard growth.
    When I'm in Italy on vacation, I use a packet of Gillette 7 O'Clock I keep over there, and a blade easily lasts me a couple of weeks.
    The ones I know last longer and are very sharp are Astra SP and Bic Chrome - not that I like them much.
    Cheers,
    Renato

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

My hair grows every which way, so I only get maybe 3 shaves per blade because I have to spend so much time going up, down, to the side, etc. There isn't just a with and against the grain for my poor face, it's a free-for-all.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

I have purchased some of the Astra SP blades plus a tub of the Cella shave soap.

The soap is really nice. Creamy, lots of thick lather. Almond fragrance.

The blades are amazing. A fantastic smooth shave with absolutely no pain. The blade just glides across the beard leaving the face perfectly smooth even after one pass.

I bought many different blades when I first started shaving with a double edge safety razor. After trying them all out, my favorites are Seki followed by Feather and then Nacet. Those 3 I've kept in large quantity. I like a very sharp blade in a mild razor and typically shave every other day. My 5'oclock shadow is formidable and my skin is sensitive; so this is what works best. I used to keep a game die next to my razor and flip it to keep track of how many times each blade was used. After amassing so many blades like you have, I just started using a new blade every shave. Why wait until you suffer through a less than optimal shave to discard the blade? They're so inexpensive and when you have hundreds of them I don't see anything wrong with one use per blade. Since I've determined what works best for me, I've gifted all the other blades and many shave products to my friends and family. Not everyone is into the shave ritual but some discover and love it and I'm glad that's how I used all my "extra" blades.