Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default Office & Work Scents: what do basenoters *actually* wear to work?

The trope of the 'office scent' is seemingly integral to the 'fragcomm wardrobe'. However it started, whenever it became what it currently is, irrespective of whether one works in an office or not, it's also one of the few fragrance 'types' than everyone has a functional application for. From Youtuber Top 10 videos, to paid-for blog posts, I'd go as far to say that the 'office scent' is one of the most mythologised and profitable genres as a result; in part due to the changing nature of work (particularly in the era of covid) and the complete overhaul of men's role in the economy producing uncertainty and aspiration in men, which can be related back to the purpose and need for fragrance itself in a work setting.

However, I'm interested to read what everyone actually wears to work. Feel free to share as much or as little as you like about the fragrance(s), why you choose to wear it, how well it fits your work etc.

Obviously most people here have a rotation of fragrances and so there won't be just one particular answer for some of you. No doubt a lot of answers will be 'I wear whatever I like' or 'I wear samples'. Which is great, I understand that, but I'm probably looking to direct this more towards those who have settled on something of a work-specific scent(s). I'm intrigued to see what fragrance enthusiasts choose for a variety of reasons. I think it's interesting to see how the balance between ideas of quality, individualism and so on are compromised for professional acceptability, politeness, and so on - if there is any compromise at all.

So, please share the fragrance(s) you wear or have worn during your working life.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Oud Minérale by Tom Ford

Default Re: Office & Work Scents: what do basenoters *actually* wear to work?

Since Covid, I work from home now and will be for the foreseeable future. I did wear a variety back when I went to a physical office. I guess the closest thing now is when I go to the doctor's/dentist's office. That scent is always Tom Ford Grey Vetiver EDP.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    4. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Carner Fig Man

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    So, please share the fragrance(s) you wear or have worn during your working life.
    When I was actively involved in the day to day business in my company, I would wear whatever I chose in the morning, but a favorite was Burberry London.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Ralph Lauren Polo
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
    Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum

Usually rotate these for work I have a few I’m going to start using again for work, versatile grabs are my favorite since they just work I like the occasional challenging fragrances too depends on the mood but I never smell cheap that’s for sure LOL!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Polo and only Polo.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Aventus normally post 2014 batches since they're lighter.

GIT GIT and GIT with a little Roja's tossed in there
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

I like to wear quality crowd pleasers that aren't too project-y.
    On my return this Fall, it will be:
    Creed MI and GIT
    LV L'Immensite
    MFK Amyris Homme
    Xerjoff Mefisto Gentiluomo

That said, I think Bvlgari Pour Homme and YSL L'Homme are THE office scents, and I wore them for ages.

Battistoni Marte, Guerlain Heritage, John Varvados Vintage, Acqua di Portofino Notte, Valentino Vendetta, Aramis JHL.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

I tend to wear the fragrances in my collection that are least likely to offend others around me as I don’t want to be that guy that chokes out his coworkers with Interlude etc

So I go for things like GiT, Original Vetiver, Colonia, Royal Mayfair, Guerlain Vetiver etc and 1-2 sprays max. Generally fairly fresh and clean smelling I suppose.

If I’m WFH then I’ll wear whatever I want but try to give my less safe scents an outing seeing as I don’t need to consider others. So maybe something like Gucci Guilty Absolute, Polo, Antaeus or Royal Oud

Any scent in my collection, as long as the application amount is appropriate for the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by emtee View Post
    If I’m WFH then I’ll wear whatever I want but try to give my less safe scents an outing seeing as I don’t need to consider others. So maybe something like Gucci Guilty Absolute, Polo, Antaeus or Royal Oud
    Are you kidding me - those are office safe!
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    4. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Carner Fig Man

Whatever my SOTD is. I only post here Mon-Fri.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Any scent in my collection, as long as the application amount is appropriate for the setting.
    This is along my own thinking and been happy to wear almost any of my fragrances with mindful adjustments. A favourite
    with fond memories was Chic For Men. These days from Viking to Armani Attitude to Ombre Leather and eveything in between.
    Currently enjoying

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Pour Monsieur / Boss Number One (current)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir / Bright Neroli / Cool Water (vintage)
    Patrick / Allure Homme / Jazz Club / YSL Pour Homme HC

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Maybe they are, I personally love them but I prefer to play it safe so don’t tend to wear anything spicy or too strong.

Being among the Basenoters working from a home office long before and totally independent from the current situation, can wear anything in the current scent lineup as the office SOTD
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Sound Scents

This.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)

3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6) Nombre Noir (Shiseido)
    7) Lucifer (Renaissance Fragrances)
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren)
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy)
    10)Vetifleur (Rogue Perfumery)

Basenotes Member

I haven't been to the office in a year, but fougeres (outside of some of the 80's powerhouse fougere + animalic hybrids like Kouros or Balenciaga Pour Homme), fruity chypres, classic eau colognes, and vetiver scents are all pretty office safe I think. If you live in cold dry climates you can even get away with some heavier smoky/leathery scents in the winter/fall. On a typical day though I do ~2 sprays of one of the following:

- Aventus
    - GIT
    - Eau Sauvage
    - Terre D'Hermes
    - Grey Vetiver
    - Azarro PH
    - PDN New York Intense
    - Heeley Sel Marin (not quite the same mold as the others, but I think it is actually a great office scent. I don't get the fishyness that some talk about and it has soft sillage and decent longevity)

Sometimes I will go for a light application of a feminine marketed perfume: aldehydic florals like YSL Rive Gauche or Parfum D'Empire's Le Cri are good examples. I also think a bitter chypre, such as Papillon's Dryad, can make a great office scent if you're light on the trigger.

I used to wear Montblanc Legend a lot in my old job. It gathered many compliments.

In my new job I wore/wear Creed SMW in Summer and TF Oud Wood in Winter mostly. I did also wear Aventus a lot in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

Although it doesn't hurt that I tend not to wear many animalic or boozy scents, either of which could be a problem in a classroom, regardless of application amount.

Current Favorites:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Lalique Pour Homme EDP, Cartier Declaration
    Currently wearing: Legend Spirit by Montblanc

Basenotes Institution

Whatever is in the collection.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Whatever is in the collection.
    yup
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

MDCI INVASION BARBARE
    YSL RIVE GAUCHE POUR HOMME
    GUERLAIN VETIVER
    MALLE VETIVER EXTRAORDINAIRE
    ORMANDE JAYNE MAN
    CREED BOIS DU PORTUGAL
    LUBIN IDOLE
    CHANEL POUR MONSIEUR EdP
    HOUBIGANT FOUGERE ROYALE
    CREED BAIE DE GENEIVRE
    CREED ROYAL SCOTTISH LAVENDER
    GENDAMRE EdP and 20
    MALLE GERANIUM POUR MONSIEUR
    FLORIS NO. 89
    NICOLAI NEW YORK INTENSE
    CLIVE CHRISTIAN L FOR MEN
    PRADA AMBER POUR HOMME
    PRADA INFUSION D'HOMME
    CREED ROYAL OUD
    PENHALIGONS RACQUETS
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: Rose 31 by Le Labo

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I've mostly worked at banks (non-client facing), and would wear pretty much anything to work. Therefore, in my case, you might be interested in what I did not or would not wear to work, and this largely depends on whether I had meetings in the first half. In such cases I would exclude stuff like Carnal Flower, Tubereuse Criminelle, Leather Oud etc.

There are some perfumes I feel/felt were just right, and actually miss wearing them to work (even before the pandemic I had been working from home for a year). This would include Grey Vetiver (when I had it), Itasca, New York Intense.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Nanban by Arquiste

Basenotes Plus

Exactly the same for me

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Polo and only Polo.
    So you're not in office on Fridays?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Over more than 3 decades of office work, I wore everything, but not without incident, and not without complaint. Never anything that got to HR levels - but that kind of environment is where I worked. Sillage was always a bit risky, depending upon coworkers and position, with upper management being skillful but "involved" to avoid fragrance bans.

Chuck is absolutely right about application level, but even with that accounted for, in a large organization in North America, if one pushes outside "clean and fresh and light", against thousands of people over many years, both a range of compliments and courteous complaints and "hints" will be encountered.

Re-application of modern candyfloss fruity florals "because I can't smell it after 15 minutes" was the most common problem where management needed to get involved. Anything distracting to other employees was fair game for management. "Leave the bottle at home" cured almost every problem. Note that the exact same fragrances were "office scents" to 10 other people who wore them discretely.

Nevertheless, discretion was not enough in our environment. Unusual and noticeable scents, especially niche or catchy, new, or avante-garde designers, would get noticed easily, even at low levels. Often positive, but sometimes negative. I have some great "half-spray" and "one-spray" stories.

Bleu de Chanel was my "most positive with zero problems" scent. Sel de Vétiver was my "most and strongest reactions of any kind" scent - both positive and negative. Most "WOW" reactions was easily Creed. GIT, both Tabaromes, Aventus, VIW. There were many people who loved that vibe.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

I use to rotate them, but here are some of my favourites:
    - Aventus
    - SMW
    - Original Santal
    - Original Vetiver
    - Viking
    - Bracken Man
    - New York intense
    - Cedrat Boise
    - Chanel Bleu EDP
    - Chanel Egoiste
    - Chanel Egoiste Platinum
    - Dia man
    - Epic man

Enviado desde mi SM-N986B mediante Tapatalk
    My Top 10:

Frederic Malle Monsieur
    Amouage Jubilation Man
    Creed Viking / Creed Royal Oud (Tie)
    Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    NPC New York Intense
    Guerlain Encens Mythique D'Orient
    Jovoy Incident Diplomatique/Jovoy Private Label (Tie)
    Houbigant Bois Mystique
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Basenotes Plus

I had a work rotation, but would add to that as time went on.

The only time I received bad feedback was when I wore Grand Soir & I think that was only cause I oversprayed.

There were some that received much fanfare like:

Ormonde Jayne White Gold
    LV Au Hasard
    Ormonde Jayne Nawab Of Oudh/Nawab Of Oudh Intensivo
    Xerjoff Pikovaya Dama
    Boadicea The Victorious Dasman
    Marc-Antoine Barrois Ganymede
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre/Oud & Pink
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I tend to wear the fragrances in my collection that are least likely to offend others around me as I don’t want to be that guy that chokes out his coworkers with Interlude etc

So I go for things like GiT, Original Vetiver, Colonia, Royal Mayfair, Guerlain Vetiver etc and 1-2 sprays max. Generally fairly fresh and clean smelling I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Maybe they are, I personally love them but I prefer to play it safe so don’t tend to wear anything spicy or too strong.
    My wife forbid me from wearing Antaeus to work!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

I wear whatever I want

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast