Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Scents smell different depending on where they are applied?

Anyone else noticed this? Not in a vastly different way, but in a way that's noticeable enough that you'd pick up on a slight difference.

I feel like even outer forearms compared with inner forearms has a somewhat noticeable difference.

I've been theorizing why and I noticed that the outer forearms have a bit thicker skin than the inner forearms. Similarly I notice more thickness in the back of the neck compared to the front of the neck.

Almost like the thin being thicker holds more of the scent, and most of the sillage becomes the projection enhancing molecules. The thinner skin seems to distribute the aromamolecules in a more balanced way

Just theorizing though, I'm intrigued to hear what others have experienced.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Default Re: Scents smell different depending on where they are applied?

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    Anyone else noticed this? Not in a vastly different way, but in a way that's noticeable enough that you'd pick up on a slight difference.
    I can't say I've actually noticed any difference in a scent depending on where it is sprayed
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I can't say I've actually noticed any difference in a scent depending on where it is sprayed
    Nor have I.

Not that I'm aware of.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Performing the BN salute

Blog Entries

Just smelling the outside and inside of my unperfumed forearms, I notice I get some scent on the outside and none on the inside. I don't know enough about anatomy to opine as to the cause, but I don't think you're imagining things. It may in part have to do with the presence of hair or skin temperature as well as skin structure, as you mention.
    Currently wearing: With Love by Guerlain

Smells the same to me whether I spray on the forearm or on the chest. Although currently I exclusively spray on the chest.
    Spray less, love more.

I have never noticed it.
    DONNA

Common Lackey

I feel like even outer forearms compared with inner forearms has a somewhat noticeable difference.
    I've been wanting to bring this up here for years, but I was afraid people would think I was crazy!

There's definitely a difference in the way perfume smells on the outside versus the inside of my forearms. It's a subtle difference, but it's there. And in my case it's not due to the presence of hair, because I have no hair on my forearms. Therefore, your theory of thick versus thinner skin makes sense to me.

It isn't noticeable with every perfume, though, mostly just the more delicate ones.

Basenotes Institution

Not that I know of.

Never noticed any difference due to different application points either-far more different/important factors being at play whenever the very same fragrance smells differently
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I've been theorizing why and I noticed that the outer forearms have a bit thicker skin than the inner forearms. Similarly I notice more thickness in the back of the neck compared to the front of the neck.

Almost like the thin being thicker holds more of the scent, and most of the sillage becomes the projection enhancing molecules. The thinner skin seems to distribute the aromamolecules in a more balanced way

Just theorizing though, I'm intrigued to hear what others have experienced.
    Yes. This is science. You are noticing an absence of random uniformity in a control, basically. A pattern where you did not expect one.

This is a smaller version of the more obvious and easily demonstrated point that fragrances sprayed on fabric smell different from the same fragrance on skin.

Note that your noticing this does not invalidate the sensitivity of the noses of those who do not. Those people may essentially be running normalization software to allow for small perceived differences in fragrance due to physical circumstances to be filtered out of a "sameness test".

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Just smelling the outside and inside of my unperfumed forearms, I notice I get some scent on the outside and none on the inside. I don't know enough about anatomy to opine as to the cause, but I don't think you're imagining things. It may in part have to do with the presence of hair or skin temperature as well as skin structure, as you mention.
    Great observations and speculations! Surface, absorption by surface, critical values thereof, quantity and distribution of a volatile mixture on surface, positioning of surface, temperature of surface, changes in air intakes to make up for these, mental processing to rule in or out any or all of these - all real.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I've been wanting to bring this up here for years, but I was afraid people would think I was crazy!

There's definitely a difference in the way perfume smells on the outside versus the inside of my forearms. It's a subtle difference, but it's there. And in my case it's not due to the presence of hair, because I have no hair on my forearms. Therefore, your theory of thick versus thinner skin makes sense to me.

It isn't noticeable with every perfume, though, mostly just the more delicate ones.
    Great observations. All of this is people doing good science with bad ( but not necessarily insensitive) equipment. Imagine doing crowd headspace experiments with digital cell response determinations through everybody's broken car-vacs with home-made attachments and no open standards between independent participants.

Now - note the fineness and delicate nature of your realization (e.g., fear of perception as "crazy"), and how easily it could be rendered moot by authority.

Psychological effects of expertise and authority are all substantially bigger than these observables and their propagation and amplification in the crowd - meaning it only takes one Luca Turin, one Avery Gilbert, one charming troll against either one, or one properly positioned person in the woodwork behind an authoritative publication - theirs or otherwise - to make a valid effect go away under a declaration of "no difference" - or a tiny effect (or myth) to loom large in printed word.

This is a general problem in science. Who knew how well it might be demonstrated here, on a perfume board!

Basenoters are among the best kitchen chemists out there!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: H24 by HermŤs

Basenotes Plus

Personally, to my own nose at least, I agree.

I find that scents smell different depending on where I apply them (or spritz them on.) I used to always spritz perfume on my wrists, but then one day I suddenly realized that some things smell surprisingly different if I spritzed them into the inner-elbow (the elbow crease) or otherwise just higher up on my forearm. I have a harder time discerning if my scents smell noticeably different when I spritz them on the decollete area, or if I spritz behind my knees or on my ankles, but on my arms I can definitely smell a difference between a scent higher up on my wrists or more in the elbow area. I actually think scents usually come across a lot better when I spray them in my inner elbow crease, so i've started doing that a lot more!
    Also..scents can definitely come across differently on my clothes or in my hair than they smell on my skin too..they also last ages longer on fabric or in my hair. I feel like how any scents come across on clothing or in hair is often the closest to how the fragrance actually smells from the bottle, or on test strips. I feel many scents can actually "change" more when they're worn directly on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Not a difference in scent, but difference in performance for me depending on where I spray.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique díOrient
    2.LíHeure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.LíHeure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre/Oud & Pink
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

I notice a big difference between underside of wrist left arm, and underside of wrist right arm. One "holds" the perfume better than the other and has better longevity. Ends up smelling a bit different. Also a big difference if sprayed on my hand or top side of forearm where the skin is thicker.
    Currently wearing: Myths Man by Amouage

Iím not old, Iím vintage.

I've always found that scents I apply in the bathroom smell better than those I put on in the hallway.

Basenotes Plus

I notice this phenomenon frequently and recall mentioning it before in other older threads. It probably has to do with how fragrance volatility is modified by the moisture / oil content of the superficial area of skin where the fragrance is applied. The crook of my arms seem to hold on to the top notes better than the back of my hands.