Code of Conduct

Default Gucci Guilty Absolute vs. Encre Noire a l'Extreme

Thinking of a blind buy of one or both of these fragrances. I know they are not clones of each other, but they seem to have overlapping note profiles and I've heard each of them mentioned in reference to the other. Based on the listed notes, I should love each. I love vetiver, leather, smoke, amber, cedar, etc. What do I need to know about these? If you've smelled both, which is your favorite and why?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Gucci Guilty Absolute vs. Encre Noire a l'Extreme

Both are great, but I prefer the Gucci.

They're not redundant or even too similar to each other. The Lalique has more sweetness.
    It's hard to tell which is more crowd pleasing as to the WEARER the Gucci may seem more challenging/polarizing, but it may surprisingly garner compliments. While the Lalique may seem easier going to the wearer, and compliments I've no idea.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Tihota by Indult

Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme by a mile!

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme by a mile!
    By a landslide. GGA is wonderful. Encre Noire isn't very good at all.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by philosophe View Post
    If you've smelled both, which is your favorite and why?
    Encre Noire a l'Extreme as it smells better to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agreed.

Gucci Guilty Absolute, definitely. (I don't think they smell anything alike.)

If nothing else, get GGA because it has been discontinued and you can still find it at a reasonable price.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Nothing to do with Italy vs France, but strictly a case-by-case of 1 fragrance vs 1 fragrance based on the merit of smell alone?

Quote Originally Posted by bolocko View Post

If nothing else, get GGA because it has been discontinued and you can still find it at a reasonable price.
    Where did you see it's been discontinued?
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: Tihota by Indult

Quote Originally Posted by bolocko View Post

I’ve been stockpiling for awhile now when the prices were $40-$50 for 100ml bottles for this reason just a excellent fragrance I wanna have on hand to enjoy far into the future. I don’t think the designer world will release anything like this again or anytime soon they just play it safe now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    By a landslide. GGA is wonderful. Encre Noire isn't very good at all.
    True true, the original Encre Noir is quite nice haven’t worn it in a long time though.

ENAL is way more wearable and overall my preference -if you like cedary, pencil shavings with a fresh twist, TDH / FM French Lover or incensey fragrances.

GGA is the more original, artiatic and arguably "better" fragrance. It really does have a weird bandaid / Dettol smell which takes a while to settle. I respect it and am glad I own it but I rarely reach for it.
    Top 10: Chanel Antaeus, Creed Aventus, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Frapin Isle of Man, Guerlain Habit Rouge, Hermes Terre d'Hermes, JPG Ultra Male, MFK Amyris, TF Beau de Jour, YSL Rive Gauche.

10-20: ADP Colonia Essenza, Chanel Egoiste, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree, Creed Vintage Tabarome, Dunhill Edition, Dunhill For Men 1934, Knize Ten, Polo Modern Reserve, TF Tuscan Leather, Zaharoff Signature

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Both are nice compositions but quite different. Encre Noire L'Extreme is a peppery, slightly smoky vetiver, though not as unique as Encre Noire is as it is lacking that "ink" note. Gucci Guilty Absolute is a more original leather-vetiver composition, and I think it's more interesting between the two. I would like to have a bottle of it, if it were not for the low sillage and duration even with over-spraying. Between the two I would recommend Gucci Guilty Absolute.

I would choose GGA but I’m a fan of both. And honestly, if you can afford to buy both, go for it. ENE has the DNA of the original but made more palatable with resins, patchouli and incense. Agree that it has some sweetness that you won’t find in GGA. To me, ENE just isn’t quite as unique or over all nice smelling as GGA. It might be rough around the edges with the bad aid accord, but it has a wonderfully rich, dark brown sillage. It actually reminds me of TdH Parfum without the citrus and with added leather. It just has an aura to it that ENE lacks.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    but strictly a case-by-case of 1 fragrance vs 1 fragrance based on the merit of smell alone?
    Yup.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Well, I sold my Lalique bottle and kept GGA so easy pick for me.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Mugler Over the Musk
    4. Zadig & Voltaire This is Him!
    5. Tiziana Terenzi Ursa

Encre Noire à L'Extrême is my preference of the two. A lovely creamy base that favours sandalwood and benzoin in the mix over the original's base musk giving it fullness that is sensual and spirited, almost oud like.

Gucci Guilty Absolute is a leather scent that finishes like cat scratch, wood resin and vetiver. The so-called 'uh oh' band-aid petrol that should evolve into something more yet leaves me hoping for more... Still, it is worth taking a nerve if the funds allow for both.

My bias is for the wearable ENE due to its utility and roundness.

To me there's nothing weird or challenging about GGA, it's very smooth, pleasant and unintrusive. I like it, although personally I prefer more pungent leathers.
    Spray less, love more.

Encre Noire à L'Extrême of the two
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

So, I did the only reasonable thing and bought both lol. I'll post my thoughts when they get here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I choose Gucci Guilty Absolute, no doubt

Enviado desde mi SM-N986B mediante Tapatalk
    My Top 10:

Frederic Malle Monsieur
    Amouage Jubilation Man
    Creed Viking / Creed Royal Oud (Tie)
    Tiziana Terenzi Ursa
    Amouage Reflection Man
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    NPC New York Intense
    Guerlain Encens Mythique D'Orient
    Jovoy Incident Diplomatique/Jovoy Private Label (Tie)
    Houbigant Bois Mystique

Liking both very much, tending to slightly prefer and therefore more eagerly recommend Gucci Guilty Absolute

I see no similarities and prefer Encre Noire a l'Extreme (the original EN even more so).
    Currently wearing: 1957 by Chanel

I own and wear GGA and the original EN.
    Have sampled/worn ENE. I prefer EN to ENE. EN has a kind of weightless, translucent darkness to it, which ENE has not.
    I wear GGA more often than EN these days.
    EN overlaps with Etro Vetiver in my wardrobe, and I prefer the Etro, hence EN gets less wear. But it deserves more outings.

Enjoy your purchases; they're both good, and different from each other.
    Summer is here : greens, vetiver, aromatics. Selecting from : Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT; Guerlain Vetiver, Etro Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; Knize Sec; Caron Yatagan; . Evening : Etro Ambra, Etro Shaal Nur; Knize Ten, Penhaligon's Elixir.
    Currently wearing: Ambra by Etro

Quote Originally Posted by incense+heliotrope View Post
    I own and wear GGA and the original EN.
    Have sampled/worn ENE. I prefer EN to ENE. EN has a kind of weightless, translucent darkness to it, which ENE has not.
    I wear GGA more often than EN these days.
    EN overlaps with Etro Vetiver in my wardrobe, and I prefer the Etro, hence EN gets less wear. But it deserves more outings.

Enjoy your purchases; they're both good, and different from each other.
    Interesting. See, when I tried the original Encre Noire, I wanted more depth and roundness to it. What you call translucent and weightless felt thin to me.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I can't wrap my head around encre noir in the original or any flanker. Smells artificial and weak. I know that GGA is artificial as well but it puts me in mind of certain locations and memories. Hard to do for a relatively new fragrance.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Well, I sold my Lalique bottle and kept GGA so easy pick for me.
    Plus one
    Currently wearing: Fate Woman by Amouage

Blog Entries

I’ve sold both. No point wearing Gucci Guilty Absolute when one can wear Hermes Bel Ami.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa Black by Prada

Just got them in the mail. First impression: I like both quite a lot. EN Extreme seems to have some of the depth and ambery roundness in the base that I was missing from the original. GGA seems to be something truly special. I think I'm in love at first sniff. Reminds me of campfires in pinewoods. Need more time to get a fuller idea of both, but I'd say they were solid choices for my tastes.

Quote Originally Posted by philosophe View Post
    Just got them in the mail. First impression: I like both quite a lot. EN Extreme seems to have some of the depth and ambery roundness in the base that I was missing from the original. GGA seems to be something truly special. I think I'm in love at first sniff. Reminds me of campfires in pinewoods. Need more time to get a fuller idea of both, but I'd say they were solid choices for my tastes.