Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Platinum Egoists vs Egoiste

I was doing a little search for a bottle of Platinum Egoists yesterday here in my city. It is literally sold out in almost every perfume store I shop at.
    It's funny because the store that I bought Egoiste from last year still has the five bottles of regular Egoiste there unsold and at 25% discount. I called every store of that specific chain and each store only had regular Egoiste but no bottles of PE. It's easy to see at least in my city that Egoiste doesn't sell much. Ofcourse I find it superior to PE but it seems that it's just not very popular anymore.
    It's been a year and they can't even sell any bottles of regular Egoiste on sale??? Also prices on PE have gone up. It now costs around 120 euros for a 100ml bottle.
    It costs more than Egoiste now but they used to cost the same. Like Antaeus Egoiste is sold in stores these days in small quantities.
    I never thought Egoiste would be thought of as a challenging or an old-school fragrance.
    But apparently it was never a big seller.
    I know it failed in the States back in the day.
    But knowing Chanel I'm sure they will probably keep making it. I guess PE was the hit they were looking for.
    I love PE but I do think Egoiste is superior. Apparently I'm in the minority here.

Default Re: Platinum Egoists vs Egoiste

Egoiste is one of my favorite Chanels of all time along with Antaeus and Pour Monsieur. I don't care for Platinum Egoiste at all, not my taste. For Egoiste (and suppose Platinum Egoiste) my advice would be to focus solely on the original releases from the 1990s, you get the best version of the scent IMO.
    CHANEL EGOISTE COLOGNE CONCENTREE.jpg
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I never thought Egoiste would be thought of as a challenging or an old-school fragrance.
    Perhaps you never smelled them side by side. I did and Egoiste came off as a sour and not-so-pleasant old school frag, while platinum seemed very pleasant, easy to wear, with a modern vibe.

I agree Platinum Egoiste is an easier and more casual wear. Yes Egoiste might seem skanky to someone who prefers fresher aquatic fragrances I suppose..but it's gorgeous!
    Those Egoiste bottles are gathering dust what a shame!
    I know people here on the forums that wish it was still sold in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Egoiste is one of my favorite Chanels of all time along with Antaeus and Pour Monsieur. I don't care for Platinum Egoiste at all, not my taste. For Egoiste (and suppose Platinum Egoiste) my advice would be to focus solely on the original releases from the 1990s, you get the best version of the scent IMO.
    I see we have an Egoiste fan here!!!
    My bottle is from '16 and while it's not a beast -performance is quite good and I can smell it on my hand the next day. I'm looking for the long style bottle though.

I like both of them.

As far as I know, they are both still sold in USA.

Regular EGOISTE can be a bit trickier to find in retail stores, but it's still out there.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 15th May 2021 at 10:05 PM.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

I am not a fan of Egoiste. Platinum is more wearable in my opinion but i still don’t like it.

Egoiste, hands down!
    If I were a good man, I'd understand the spaces between friends

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I like both of them.

As far as I know, they are both still sold in USA.

Regular EGOISTE cab be a bit trickier to find in retail stores, but it's still out there.
    Is it still available there? Maybe in big cities like NYC and LA it is or I have it mixed up with Antaeus. There is a Chanel scent that isn't being sold in the States anymore from what I recall.

I like both and I’m beginning to think owning both is worth it. Egoiste for colder months; Platinum for other times. For some reason I’m currently on a high with Platinum. I have no idea why the price for it has gone so high. It’s one of very few fragrances that I get cravings for at times.

In the US, Egoiste and Antaeus are only sold at upmarket dept stores (like Nordstrom and the like). Platinum Egoiste is sold more broadly (eg including Macys and the like). But I have not looked at the Chanel counters this year and whether they have taken stuff out.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I happen to love both equally and glad I have both.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I agree Hednic they are both fantastic but I think Egoiste is like a work of art.

Egoiste is my pick smells excellent and performs excellent, Platinum Egoiste smells ok but performance is spotty the older formulation of Platinum Egoiste was quite nice though.

Egoiste works well in the summer and heat as well, still smells excellent and never becomes too stuffy.

I only have Egoiste Concentree, which I believe it's not "real" Egoiste. Smells good, but there's little left, and I do not use it often due to its relative rarity. I should buy a modern Egoiste soon. Not afraid of Chanel reformulations (my favorite Chanel "masculine" is indeed Antaeus.)

Never enjoyed Platinum Egoiste, even when my nose was "new" to perfumes back in 2008. Which of course does not mean it is wrong for any of you to love it.

I was doing a little search for a bottle of Platinum Egoists yesterday here in my city. It is literally sold out in almost every perfume store I shop at.
    It's funny because the store that I bought Egoiste from last year still has the five bottles of regular Egoiste there unsold and at 25% discount. I called every store of that specific chain and each store only had regular Egoiste but no bottles of PE. It's easy to see at least in my city that Egoiste doesn't sell much.
    What store in Athens is this? I will be visiting in July, so you've made me want to stop by this store.

Egoiste might be my all-time favorite fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Is it still available there? Maybe in big cities like NYC and LA it is or I have it mixed up with Antaeus. There is a Chanel scent that isn't being sold in the States anymore from what I recall.
    Egoiste and Antaeus are both available here, but they're pretty hard to find even in Chicago. I think the only store that has both of them now is the Chanel boutique. Bloomingdale's used to have Antaeus at their Chanel counter, but they don't anymore. Nordstrom used to have Egoiste, but I haven't seen it recently.
    Currently wearing: Vétiver by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    What store in Athens is this? I will be visiting in July, so you've made me want to stop by this store.

Egoiste might be my all-time favorite fragrance.
    I'll pm you

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Egoiste and Antaeus are both available here, but they're pretty hard to find even in Chicago. I think the only store that has both of them now is the Chanel boutique. Bloomingdale's used to have Antaeus at their Chanel counter, but they don't anymore. Nordstrom used to have Egoiste, but I haven't seen it recently.
    This is the point I'm trying to make with this thread.
    Its surprising that these two fragrances are hard to find yet PE sells like hotcakes

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I think there is no doubt, based on the samples you've provided me, that 1990's vintage Egoiste is different than Egoiste today. I have 100% confidence that I could be blindfolded and you can have me smell each and I would identify both without fail. The older version has bitter tanins and what smells like fiber and stems from natural plants, while today's Egoiste smells very refined like the scent notes are more isolated and have less 'interference'. If I could borrow an analogy from the movie industry. Vintage Egoiste is like watching a movie shot in 16mm film while the modern version is like watching the movie shot in modern 4k digital. You can clearly watch the same movie (ie, you can clearly smell the Egoiste recipe) but the film grain vs the sharp/clean video renders a different "effect" for the viewer.

And like film/movie buffs, there are aficionados in fragrance also who hold firm that film (vintage juice) is better than digital (modern, lower cost ingredient alternatives) and that there is something of the "art" missing from today's movies (fragrances). I think this analogy is a very good one because it involves two art-based industries with tools that have evolved and changed with science over time which have a distinctive effect on the art itself.

In this particular case on Egoiste, I don't disagree with N Cal Fragrance Reviewer that vintage Egoiste is different. I, however, actually prefer the modern version. It's a matter of preference. I think the modern is more wearable and more mass-appealing. IMO, Chanel knew that the Egoiste recipe is a fantastic scent, but they knew it could be updated for 'today' to be more acceptable for today's customers at the counter. I think this was a smart decision. I don't think the vintage juice would sell as well and then Chanel would have needed to discontinue it. It's my opinion that Egoiste either needed to be tastefully altered or it had to go. Chanel did what they had to to keep the classic on the counter.

Basenotes Plus

This is the point I'm trying to make with this thread.
    Its surprising that these two fragrances are hard to find yet PE sells like hotcakes
    Platinum Egoiste is a freshie and I think wears better in hot weather than Egoiste. I prefer Egoiste in the winter. I also think Platinum Egoiste smells 'younger', and less rugged. I would say Platinum Egoiste is like a young model in his 20's with a good hair cut and a nice well fitted outfit, while Egoiste is more like a well dressed outdoorsman with some well trimmed facial hair in his 40's and a slight touch of gray.

I happen to like both of these fragrances seasonally. I still however may wear Egoiste in the Summer every so often because it's more fitting of my age. I would only wear Platinum Egoiste in the summer with a tight newly short-cut hair and short-cut facial hair with a fresh 20 pound weight loss and light colored clothing. From time to time I go on a diet and exercise phase and change style and Platinum Egoiste is a good one for those hot weather months. As I get older, it's getting tougher to heal up from those workout phases, so we'll see. I'll still wear PE from time to time regardless. Eventually I'm going to buy Eternity to replace PE when PE runs out. They both smell similar to me, but I think I prefer Eternity slightly more. Owning both seems a bit redundant.

Platinum Egoiste is the most expensive shower gel fragrance you can find.

Regular Egoiste is more gentleman old school.

IMHO very different from each other.

Seconding the though of belonging to the minority that values Egoiste over PE, although liking both very much and highly motivated to add both in the current scent lineup

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Sambuccashake View Post
    Platinum Egoiste is the most expensive shower gel fragrance you can find.
    I think this is an apt analysis. The one distinctive difference that I think puts it a rung higher is the "metallic" effect in the scent. That portion gives is a characteristic that doesn't smell cheap.

Basenotes Junkie

After several tests i never got enough into either of them to buy a full bottle. Having said that if i had to buy one, it would be egoiste

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

I may have spoken too soon. It was available in some of the higher end stores awhile back. But realizing now I haven't been into any stores in quite awhile and an online check shows most big department stores not showing it as avalaible in their online sites.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    I am not a fan of Egoiste. Platinum is more wearable in my opinion but i still don’t like it.
    Lol....my sentiments exactly.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

I see we have an Egoiste fan here!!!
    My bottle is from '16 and while it's not a beast -performance is quite good and I can smell it on my hand the next day. I'm looking for the long style bottle though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I think there is no doubt, based on the samples you've provided me, that 1990's vintage Egoiste is different than Egoiste today. I have 100% confidence that I could be blindfolded and you can have me smell each and I would identify both without fail. The older version has bitter tanins and what smells like fiber and stems from natural plants, while today's Egoiste smells very refined like the scent notes are more isolated and have less 'interference'. If I could borrow an analogy from the movie industry. Vintage Egoiste is like watching a movie shot in 16mm film while the modern version is like watching the movie shot in modern 4k digital. You can clearly watch the same movie (ie, you can clearly smell the Egoiste recipe) but the film grain vs the sharp/clean video renders a different "effect" for the viewer.

And like film/movie buffs, there are aficionados in fragrance also who hold firm that film (vintage juice) is better than digital (modern, lower cost ingredient alternatives) and that there is something of the "art" missing from today's movies (fragrances). I think this analogy is a very good one because it involves two art-based industries with tools that have evolved and changed with science over time which have a distinctive effect on the art itself.

In this particular case on Egoiste, I don't disagree with N Cal Fragrance Reviewer that vintage Egoiste is different. I, however, actually prefer the modern version. It's a matter of preference. I think the modern is more wearable and more mass-appealing. IMO, Chanel knew that the Egoiste recipe is a fantastic scent, but they knew it could be updated for 'today' to be more acceptable for today's customers at the counter. I think this was a smart decision. I don't think the vintage juice would sell as well and then Chanel would have needed to discontinue it. It's my opinion that Egoiste either needed to be tastefully altered or it had to go. Chanel did what they had to to keep the classic on the counter.
    Ebay is the place to hunt down the (long)spray bottles. I remember when I tried the modern formulation I was not sold on Egoiste, I had to try out the vintage formulation which to me was a day and night difference.

Preference between the current and vintage will be based on individual preference.

For me I think there's something special in owning a bottle that was made around the time of the original release.You get to experience the fragrance for what it was at that time just like anyone else who was around then, for Egoiste it was circa 1990.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I know for a fact that the vintage has a different sandalwood that is now endangered. The current Egoiste has a slight airiness to it. I'm perfectly happy with it but I wouldn't mind owning a vintage bottle.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Égoïste and Platinum Égoïste were created for very different reasons and for very different eras of designer perfumery.

To understand Égoïste you have to go back a little further to the mid-80's when Jacques Polge was allowed to work unbothered by marketing, creative directors, shareholder demands, all that late-stage capitalism skullduggery that's ruined the artistic authenticity of designer perfume. At the time, off the heels of the very masculine Anataeus, he was looking for something more feminine and subversive for the male market, because designer perfumes were all about making a statement then. Égoïste was originally given a limited releas as Bois Noir in 87, itself a masculine re-envisioning of Bois de Iles. Some changes were made to the fragrance and out it comes as Égoïste, with one of Chanel's most expensive ad campaigns to date.

On the other hand, Platinum Égoïste was pretty much Chanel admitting that bold statement-making fragrances weren't what young guys wanted by the 90's, as sales of Égoïste were sort of plateauing compared to the fresher and more aquatic things taking over the men's market. Guys wanted cleaner, more subtle fragrances and Calvin Klein's Eternity for Men started a wave of "fresh" fougères that eventually other designers jumped on. Chanel stuck then head of Parfums Chanel research and development François Demachy with Jacques Polge, who together made the Chanel take on the fresh fougère, which is what Platinum Égoïste was. As expected, this fragrance sold like hot cakes over original Égoïste.

Original Égoïste was bascally built like a woman's perfume of the day, with a heavy sweet ambrette and sandalwood base layed on top with a jammy spiced rose and rounded citrus notes. Today something like this would certainly be marketed to women, or at very least be a unisex niche fragrance. Zero mass-appeal, all bold high-concept perfumery. Brilliant, but a little out of step in 1990.

Platinum Égoïste, which was actually released first as Égoïste Platinum, is infinitely more boring as it just recycles the fresh fougère theme that was getting huge then. Platinum Égoïste did do something novel by adding metallic aldehydes to the equation for that hot steam vibe, since copied over and over by stuff like Parfums MDCI Invasion Barbare, or Penhaligon's Sartorial.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Luna Rossa by Prada