Code of Conduct

Thread: fake fragrances

Default fake fragrances

My question is for those who have experienced fake fragrances. Some of these fakes are pretty good in appearance, but are some fake fragrances close to real fragrances in smell? Do some fakes have a slight difference in smell close but not right on? I am wondering if these fake manufacturers are capable of producing a smell that is close like their fake bottles and packaging are close!

My motive behind the question is because I been buying a lot of samples and have no bottle or packaging to back up my suspicions.
    Thanks for any feedback.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: fake fragrances

Some fakes I imagine even manage to approximate the real smell as well as appearance. That's why I always buy from authorized vendors.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Fakes that i got were perfect copy of packaging, but never the fragrance.
    There are 2 ways they did it in my experience:

1) Sprayed some perfume into water, so it has some aroma. You can replicate what it smells like if you spray your sink, and run warm water over it. Very sheer and has chemical smell. I catch that right away. Thats basic method.

2) Scammers would fill the tube of the sprayers with actual perfume and then submerge it in perfumed water. Once you receive bottle, ull puff it once or twice, and itll smell legit, but on spray 6-8 fake water will come out. Its timed for you to have perfume longer than 30 days so you cant claim its fake after such a time. Unless ur using paypal i guess.

Thats my story. Never seen a fake that replicates smell with entire juice inside, and purpose is to spend as little as possible anyways.

I have a sample no big deal, but it was 20 bucks. this sample has a strong opening and then it never changes. the opening is a bit off with an after smell.
    I really think sometimes people have fake fragrances and don't even know it. I think there may be sellers selling samples that may not know their bottle is fake. If they know then it is another story altogether.

anyway I have a fragrance sample that is not terrible but it just does not have the mid notes or the base notes, it just mimics the opening and does it rather well, although it has an after smell that is off too.
    anyway, I don't make claims I cant prove if you know what I mean.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I own four fakes - two fairly good ones I got at a kiosk and two I bought from a victim of a scam, so I could study them. The good ones are very close to the designer fragrances but flimsy box, sketchy glass bottle, weak but somewhat accurate juice. They're not bad - they are not off-putting. The L'Eau par Kenzo is weak and the Diorissimo EdT lacks subtle complexity of the true Dior.

Of the othe two I bought, the fake Magnetism For Men is noticeably inferior, and the fake Bleu de Chanel is just bad, although some resemblance. The bottle is hilariously bad - the lettering is like an SNL skit.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I own four fakes - two fairly good ones I got at a kiosk and two I bought from a victim of a scam, so I could study them. The good ones are very close to the designer fragrances but flimsy box, sketchy glass bottle, weak but somewhat accurate juice. They're not bad - they are not off-putting. The L'Eau par Kenzo is weak and the Diorissimo EdT lacks subtle complexity of the true Dior.

Of the other two I bought, the fake Magnetism For Men is noticeably inferior, and the fake Bleu de Chanel is just bad, although some resemblance. The bottle is hilariously bad - the lettering is like an SNL skit.
    It's good to know all this. I thank you all for the replies to my question.