Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Default The Price/Smell Fragrance Matrix...

Many of us will have encountered this video released several years ago.

I decided to take it upon myself to see if I could make one for fragrances.

While the format would obviously be better in video, you'll just have to do some of the narrative legwork yourself. It should go without saying, however this is a gentle reminder: please treat this as satirical. It should be received in the same manner as it is delivered - as a light-hearted joke.

Ready? Ok? Here we go...

frag matrix 2.jpg

Today's lesson is the Price/Smell Matrix. It's everything you need to know about understanding fragrances you have or that you want to have. I've developed this matrix (sort of) on my own over the last 46 minutes, and this is how it works...

You have your 'Price' axis and your 'Smell' axis. Smell is measured from 0-10. Price is measured from 3-10...because there's no such thing as a free fragrance. The Price/Smell line is the diagonal line running directly through the middle of the graph. It is very important you keep the Price/Smell line in mind at all times.

As a rule, anything below a 5 in Smell is in the 'No Go Zone'. We do not buy fragrances that, at least in our mind, are not at least a 5. Above a 5, and to around a 7 or 8 (but below the Price/Smell line) - this is your 'Work and Gym Zone'. These are your daily driver fragrances, the ones you can hang out and have fun with. Above a 5 yet below a 7 or 8 in smell, staying below the overpriced line, means most of the time you will be able to afford to replace these fragrances regularly so you can wear them frequently. Keep in mind that you don't just want to get stuck in the work and gym zone. You want to move out and find a superior type of fragrance to add to your wardrobe.

Above the overpriced line, we have the 'Niche Bollocks Zone'. This is where you'll find fragrances that smell like burnt faeces, woke perfume, Harrods Exclusives, and anything that comes with your name on the label. This is the kind of fragrance where you set off the sprinklers in public buildings; when you wear it to work they introduce a 'no fragrance' policy; and your wife leaves you for another, better man because you spent your life savings just to smell like a lady of the night with necrosis.

At this point, with a few more categories to go, you need to understand that this is not a static environment. This is a situation where you need to use this matrix over time to develop some reliable data. Because at any moment, any fragrance you have previously located on the chart can vanish from that location and appear anywhere else on the chart. This could be because of discontinuation, reformulation, degradation, or because your favourite fragrance became the victim of internet hype. So what you have to do is collect some data over time by asking friends, family, and actual, real women what they think so you get an idea of how good a fragrance really smells. Do not just ask people on the internet what they think. Once you have a cluster of data points you can start to consider that data reliable.

Moving on, above a 7 in smell and up to about a 7 or 8 in price, we have the 'Date Zone'. You can stay in the date zone indefinitely if you like as long as you're under the age of 35. These are fragrances that smell great, they're reasonably priced most of the time, women love them, and you can wear them around your friends and family.

Now, above a 7 in smell and between a 4 and a 6 in price, this is your 'Signature Scent Zone'. When you find this fragrance you should consider making it your signature fragrance. Please note that this is not scaled to size, this is a representation and not a pie chart showing you how many of these fragrances are out there. Signature scents are hard to find. This is simply a representation of what you're after. You want to find a fragrance that is between a 4 and a 6 in price and above a 7 or 8 in smell. That's your signature scent zone.

Below a 4 in price and above a 7 or 8 in smell is your 'Holy Grail Zone'. These fragrances don't exist. If you find one of these fragrances, please buy it and keep it safe, we'd like to study it and maybe look in to how to replicate it.

I was explaining this metric to my dog earlier and he said 'bark bark', which I understood meant 'but what about that sexy fragrance you wear?' and I said, sure, that's Aventus. That sits right in the top corner of the graph and it totally depends on how much money you have whether it's overpriced and slips in to the niche bollocks zone or not.

So my dog looked at me again and said 'bark bark ruff' and I again knew that he meant 'but what about those people who say they found the most amazing fragrance, it's stunning, they get loads of compliments from attractive women, it's smoking hot, uber masculine and sexy. It's maybe a 9 in smell and not even a 3 in price, it only costs a 2 or maybe even a 1.'

I looked at my dog and said...'Hey dog, so you're telling me, you want to know about those people who say they've found a fragrance that smells like a 9 or a 10 and it only costs a 1 or a 2?' and hey said 'arf arf'.

To which I replied: 'You should be careful, good boy, because if someone tells you they've found a fragrance that's below a 3 in price and above an 8 in smell, that's sponsored clone slop and you're talking to a shill. You've probably just met a youtuber.'

And that, gentlemen, is the universal Price/Smell Fragrance Matrix.
    “If it is not right do not do it; if it is not true do not say it.”
    Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: The Price/Smell Fragrance Matrix...

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    that's sponsored clone slop and you're talking to a shill. You've probably just met a youtuber.'
    Hah hah!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Taking this as a joke/satire, having never measured the value, nor performance or quality of a fragrance according and directly proportional to its price

Ha, a fun way to think of it. Where I would diverge is price/smell ratio (aka value) of a fragrance has nothing to do with occasion (date/office/signature) for me.

Broadly speaking, retail price (MSRP) does reflect the smell in my experience. A $20 Zara fragrance smells like a $20 fragrance while a $200 Chanel smells totally worth it to me. On either extreme, you reach diminishing returns. For example, a $20 fragrance probably wouldn't smell half as good as a $40 one, just like a $400 fragrance is not going smell twice as good as a $200 one.

Where I find the least value is mass market flagship designer fragrances, which usually retail in the $100 range. If you buy two of these, you could have just bought one higher end fragrance which smells exponentially better.

Now discounters, which reflect the market price (what people are willing to pay) throws all of this out the window. Low demand can happen for a lot of reasons other than the fragrance is bad. It could be out of trend, too much of it was produced, it's old so people lost interest etc. So, when it comes to discounters, price to quality ration can vary drastically making it totally unpredictable (Guerlain being a prime example).

Might be fun to name some fragrances we have and where they fall on the matrix, especially those that lie on the extremes.

My SOTD Eau de Guerlain is one of the rare low price/great smell gems. I'd put it at a 2 on price (I paid $20 for a tester!) but 8 on smell. It is right up there with one of my favorite summer scents Frederic Malle Eau de Magnolia. Now, does that mean I will never buy a $200 bottle of Eau de Magnolia again? Call me a sucker, but no. I still love Eau de Magnolia and I think it is worth the price, so finding something just as satisfying at $20 doesn't necessarily negate the other at $200.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Where I find the least value is mass market flagship designer fragrances, which usually retail in the $100 range. If you buy two of these, you could have just bought one higher end fragrance which smells exponentially better.
    See the category "niche bollocks" for the counter argument to this ahaha

Ha, well I guess we all have our price ceiling. For me, "niche bollocks" falls in the $400 and up range like Fragrance du Bois , Clive Christian, Xerjoff or Roja. Most things I've tried in the mid to high $200 range (Malle, Chanel, Hermessence) feel totally worth it to me. Ofc there's brands like Nishane and most MFK which feel like bollocks in the high $200 range.

But I must admit I've never tried these upper tier brands so I don't want to join the chorus of people who tend to shit on things they've never even tried. It's more a mental barrier where I think "ack it can't be THAT good." Someone who owns and loves these might find them totally worth it just like I find my Malle's and Chanel's totally worth it. So one man's bollocks can always be another man's treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    See the category "niche bollocks" for the counter argument to this ahaha
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Basenotes Plus

Talking Re: The Price/Smell Fragrance Matrix...

Hilarious!!
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Basenotes Plus

Fun read!

Common Lackey

My dog is just as gullible as yours. I don't dare let him get his paws on a credit card.

Basenotes Institution

Funny video

That was a funny read. And video of the day.
    A few favourites

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Boss Number One (current version)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir (vintage) / Pour Monsieur
    Heritage EdT (all versions) / Incident Diplomatique / Halfeti
    Bright Neroli / EL / Jubilation Man / Cool Water (vintage)

I was entertained reading this, got a few laughs from it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

That hilarious video deserves more view. And this is a brilliant adaptation to the fragrance hobby. Love the new category: niche bollocks. Paging Michael Edwards...

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Ha, well I guess we all have our price ceiling. For me, "niche bollocks" falls in the $400 and up range like Fragrance du Bois , Clive Christian, Xerjoff or Roja. Most things I've tried in the mid to high $200 range (Malle, Chanel, Hermessence) feel totally worth it to me. Ofc there's brands like Nishane and most MFK which feel like bollocks in the high $200 range.

But I must admit I've never tried these upper tier brands so I don't want to join the chorus of people who tend to shit on things they've never even tried. It's more a mental barrier where I think "ack it can't be THAT good." Someone who owns and loves these might find them totally worth it just like I find my Malle's and Chanel's totally worth it. So one man's bollocks can always be another man's treasure.
    It’s funny though...the prices you mentioned are higher than some of the highest quality perfumes on earth. Those prices are reflecting the brand rather than the ingredients. For $200 you could buy a perfume with the highest quality orris, Mysore sandalwood, Oud, Siberian musk, saffron etc. The price usually goes up depending on the rarity or age of the oud used and similar things but rarity doesn’t necessarily equal “better” either.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dothraki View Post
    It’s funny though...the prices you mentioned are higher than some of the highest quality perfumes on earth. Those prices are reflecting the brand rather than the ingredients. For $200 you could buy a perfume with the highest quality orris, Mysore sandalwood, Oud, Siberian musk, saffron etc. The price usually goes up depending on the rarity or age of the oud used and similar things but rarity doesn’t necessarily equal “better” either.
    Really? I assumed the "highest quality perfumes on earth" would be priced much higher.

Funky fresh

I'm just now seeing this, and I have to say, satirical or not...that is one fantastic chart. Dead on.

I'd add an asterisks that if you are lucky enough to find something in your holy grail zone, it will most likely be discontinued and/or the price will immediately shoot through the roof. It quickly enters a hallowed zone known as the Unicorn Penthouse, which is at about 67 on the Y axis. The more you want it, the higher it goes.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Witness by Jacques Bogart

Anything above $200/100ml (grey market not retail) is a hard stop for me. I can give or take $20, and for something excellent there's wiggle room, but after $200 I just can't do it without feeling as if I'm a rube.
    Last edited by GoldWineMemories; 21st May 2021 at 05:21 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Anything above $200/100ml (grey market not retail) is a hard buy for me. I can give or take $20, and for something excellent there's wiggle room, but after $200 I just can't do it without feeling as if I'm a rube.
    At that price point, it gives me pause. I have to really consider how much I enjoy the scent. But for truly special scents, no price is too much.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    That hilarious video deserves more view. And this is a brilliant adaptation to the fragrance hobby. Love the new category: niche bollocks. Paging Michael Edwards...
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Thanks.

The original video has millions of views. I think it might have gone in to the hundreds of millions, or at least it would have by now had it now been removed. This is a reupload and the fact it has gained such little attention - probably from those who knew of it and were searching for it again - is testament to how the algorithm has changed in the last 8-10 years. Satire isn't funny unless it's grounded in at least some generally unspeakable or uncomfortable truth and I think the 'matrix' actually works well when you apply it to fragrance as well. The idea, or something like that, was raised on another thread and it all fell in to place quite naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    At that price point, it gives me pause. I have to really consider how much I enjoy the scent. But for truly special scents, no price is too much.
    I meant to say stop not buy, so that may change the meaning. Yeah I'm only paying $200/100ml if it's something special it can't be your average amber perfume for instance. I mostly wear Caron's Pour un Homme & Guerlain's Vetiver.

Basenotes Plus

Anything above $200/100ml (grey market not retail) is a hard buy for me. I can give or take $20, and for something excellent there's wiggle room, but after $200 I just can't do it without feeling as if I'm a rube.
    Chanel's Les Exclusifs range falls right at $200 and I had to really contemplate buying Boy and Coromandel each (and Heathrow Duty Free prices too!), but considering they both get considerable wear, it was worth the cost. Chanel's Les Exclusif's mini coffret box I received for Christmas two years ago that was $250 - worth every penny. I'm still using the set today.

Hermes travel set (4 smaller bottles 15ml each) for $132 - absolutely. $280 for a full sized bottle with a Hermes leather cap? No. Don't care for the leather 'cap'. Penhaligon's Bewitching Yasmine smells fab on me and I love it, but not for $278 to have a tinted perfume with a cat perfume cap. I draw the line there.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    Chanel's Les Exclusifs range falls right at $200 and I had to really contemplate buying Boy and Coromandel each (and Heathrow Duty Free prices too!), but considering they both get considerable wear, it was worth the cost. Chanel's Les Exclusif's mini coffret box I received for Christmas two years ago that was $250 - worth every penny. I'm still using the set today.

Hermes travel set (4 smaller bottles 15ml each) for $132 - absolutely. $280 for a full sized bottle with a Hermes leather cap? No. Don't care for the leather 'cap'. Penhaligon's Bewitching Yasmine smells fab on me and I love it, but not for $278 to have a tinted perfume with a cat perfume cap. I draw the line there.
    Yeah Chanel's Exclusifs + Frederic Malle's grey market price is basically why I draw the line @ the arbitrary $200/100ml. I just don't think for my personal tastes there's much out there worth more than that.

Okay, I had a hard analytical look at the matrix and saw Jovan Sex Appeal flaunting its unapologetic disco moves right there in the Holy Grail Zone!
    Spray less, love more.

Yea, it's funny what mental threshold we can have on price and how $50-80 can make the difference between what we would consider buying. I used to think Hermessence is totally out of range, but as more and more niche brands enter the market at even higher prices they start to seem like a deal.

I also found them available on Selfridges for $230 (was just $215 before the new year).

And Saks carries the line and often throws you 15-20% off coupons that can be applied be Hermes.

So, that is to say at $280 I didn't even want to try the range because I considered it out of my range, but bring it down to low $200s and suddenly I own 5 which makes no sense financially but that's the way things go LOL.

re: the video which I missed until now, it's not outright offensive but it's pretty stupid and plays on dated gender tropes, I wonder what that guy with his belly and balding head has to offer these sane beautiful women who hit the sweet spot on the matrix.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post

-John Cage

Basenotes Plus

I meant to say stop not buy, so that may change the meaning. Yeah I'm only paying $200/100ml if it's something special it can't be your average amber perfume for instance. I mostly wear Caron's Pour un Homme & Guerlain's Vetiver.
    I haven't tried the Caron, but the price/smell ratio on Guerlain's Vetiver is unmatched IMO.

your wife leaves you for another, better man because you spent your life savings just to smell like a lady of the night with necrosis.

Hahaha this is great,I'm sure that's what she thinks sometimes