Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,976

    Default Leather Question

    Has anyone smelled both Cuir de Russie by CHANEL and also Cuir de Russie by Anna Zworykina? I would love to know their similarities and differences before I invest in the Zworykina version.

    Any thoughts on the AZ leather scent would be appreciated!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Leather Question

    I know this isn't helpful, but I'd love to know too. I'm weary of artisanal style fragrances, but I've heard good things about Zworykina's Cuir de Russie. Jcelleo had Zworykina's & Chanel's at one point perhaps ask him what he thinks?

  3. #3
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,976

    Default Re: Leather Question

    Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    I know this isn't helpful, but I'd love to know too. I'm weary of artisanal style fragrances, but I've heard good things about Zworykina's Cuir de Russie. Jcelleo had Zworykina's & Chanel's at one point perhaps ask him what he thinks?
    Okay doke. I feel like maybe Diamondflame did, too.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Leather Question

    The Chanel is one of my favorite fragrances. I have the EDT and have not tried vintage. I like the Zworykina too, but not as much. I don't find them very similar. The Zworykina is heavier on the birch tar. Natural oud is also quite noticeable in the Zworykina. It is a bit rough around the edges and definitely smells like a natural perfume. It is like a mix between Hiram Green Hyde and an Areej le Dore oud composition.
    Currently wearing: Boundless by Amouage

  5. #5
    All Is Beautiful
    thrilledchilled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Virginia, Florida
    Posts
    8,141

    Default Re: Leather Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    The Chanel is one of my favorite fragrances. I have the EDT and have not tried vintage. I like the Zworykina too, but not as much. I don't find them very similar. The Zworykina is heavier on the birch tar. Natural oud is also quite noticeable in the Zworykina. It is a bit rough around the edges and definitely smells like a natural perfume. It is like a mix between Hiram Green Hyde and an Areej le Dore oud composition.
    Agree Zworykina not as refined but I think really good.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

  6. #6
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,976

    Default Re: Leather Question

    Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Agree Zworykina not as refined but I think really good.

    I keep hearing positive reviews of it, so I just wanted to hear a bit more. Thanks!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Leather Question

    CDR Anna Zworykina came out in 2009. I wonder how much of an input IFRA regulations had on it, if any.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  8. #8
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,976

    Default Re: Leather Question

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    CDR Anna Zworykina came out in 2009. I wonder how much of an input IFRA regulations had on it, if any.
    Is the birch tar a problem?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Leather Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Is the birch tar a problem?
    I was thinking of the Castoreum. Then there's the sandalwood and oakmoss.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus

    Starblind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,976

    Default Re: Leather Question

    Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I was thinking of the Castoreum. Then there's the sandalwood and oakmoss.
    Hmmm. If all of these notes have been removed (or even curtailed), I have no interest in even sampling. :-(

  11. #11

    Default Re: Leather Question

    I'm not a huge fan of the Chanel, but I love the Zworykina. It reads more similar to a Sultan Pasha composition than it does the the Chanel.
    YT: Jess AndWesH

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    25,454

    Default Re: Leather Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcelello View Post
    The Chanel is one of my favorite fragrances. I have the EDT and have not tried vintage. I like the Zworykina too, but not as much. I don't find them very similar. The Zworykina is heavier on the birch tar. Natural oud is also quite noticeable in the Zworykina. It is a bit rough around the edges and definitely smells like a natural perfume. It is like a mix between Hiram Green Hyde and an Areej le Dore oud composition.
    I concur. It doesnít have enough leather in it but more of a darker earthy-oudy aspect, not exactly what I anticipated from a Cuir de Russie. If only it had a different moniker I would have been far less scathing. If you love Chanelís take on the genre, this version is probably playing in a different league.




Similar Threads

  1. A*Men Pure Leather question
    By jabar in forum Perfume Appraisals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th March 2019, 02:58 AM
  2. Going to buy Tuscan Leather, quick question before I do...
    By Jer350 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 17th June 2016, 10:16 PM
  3. Leather Oud Question
    By big70tom in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27th January 2016, 04:39 AM
  4. A question about tuscan leather
    By pimpin4rizeal in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 27th March 2011, 04:55 AM
  5. Question about the Creed leather atomizers.
    By Oslo-Fjord in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 13th February 2011, 12:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000