Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Basenotes Usage

  1. #1
    Basenotes Member aikj55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    70

    Cool Basenotes Usage

    Hey guys, its been a minute.. Anyone else struggle to find frags on this site that is in their scent rotation or collection. Many time's i've put smthing on and come to update my SOTD but can't find it on the list! Mega frustrating thing & it blows the mind that you'd easily find missing frags on other similar sites. Also an app will come in handy for SOTD updates too, especially for some of us who might not have much time to come on & talk much about Frags. I just love to look at my frag usage over a week/month/year to see which I reached for more & related stats. Share your thoughts if similar guys....
    Last edited by aikj55; 30th May 2021 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Few additions and typos
    These Scents are Popping...….

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution dougczar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    31,181

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    I have my own personal website / database of my fragrances that I use for those purposes. Basenotes wardrobe functionality is lacking in many ways for what I wanted.
    Current Winter Favorites:

    1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

  3. #3
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    I am here.
    Posts
    15,417

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have my own personal website / database of my fragrances that I use for those purposes. Basenotes wardrobe functionality is lacking in many ways for what I wanted.
    I do something like that too, but only in text files. In fact, I'm embarrassed that I never thought of building a site for it - a local site on my Mac would do the job well.

    My bottles are all in the basenotes directory, but I do wish the wardrobe could be sorted by categories such as Recently Worn and Most/Least Worn overall.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cologne by Chanel

  4. #4

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    So far the BN functionalities and especially the wardrobe one cover, include and overlap with most of the fragrances owned and used.
    As well as their SOTD/most worn frequency sub-menu, options etc. successfully providing an appropriate overview of most fragrance habits and usage.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

  5. #5
    Basenotes Member aikj55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have my own personal website / database of my fragrances that I use for those purposes. Basenotes wardrobe functionality is lacking in many ways for what I wanted.
    Fabulous to hear that, I use Parfumo now which has much more in its database and is proactive when it comes to new releases...
    They also have an app.
    These Scents are Popping...….

  6. #6
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    352,320

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have my own database of my fragrances that I use for those purposes.
    Likewise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by aikj55 View Post
    Hey guys, its been a minute.. Anyone else struggle to find frags on this site that is in their scent rotation or collection. Many time's i've put smthing on and come to update my SOTD but can't find it on the list! Mega frustrating thing & it blows the mind that you'd easily find missing frags on other similar sites. Also an app will come in handy for SOTD updates too, especially for some of us who might not have much time to come on & talk much about Frags. I just love to look at my frag usage over a week/month/year to see which I reached for more & related stats. Share your thoughts if similar guys....
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    I have my own personal website / database of my fragrances that I use for those purposes. Basenotes wardrobe functionality is lacking in many ways for what I wanted.

    I love the option to be able to sort frags by house or name and vote, the 'most worn feature' and the feature to add a fragrance as 'sample' in the wardrobe.
    That said, one can tell that BN's architecture starts to suffer the weight of age, especially in the loading time of pages (everytime you vote for a frag sub category or add an info for a frag, the page reloads... very boring). That said, the overall loading time of the wardrobe is shorter than F forr sure (even if less aesthetical, and there is no feature to arrange the wardrobe as one likes - a very important feature for me, as I like to order my frags by style to have a comprehensive overview)


    Quote Originally Posted by aikj55 View Post
    Fabulous to hear that, I use Parfumo now which has much more in its database and is proactive when it comes to new releases...
    They also have an app.
    Parfumo has a very up-to-date entries database. That's its strength. Probably its only strength.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    As well as their SOTD/most worn frequency sub-menu, options etc. successfully providing an appropriate overview of most fragrance habits and usage.
    Aside of the good quality and amount of forum posts (on which BN has little control), the only great functionality I could find of BN compared to other platforms is indeed the most worn sub-menu. Let's hope it stays.

  9. #9
    Dependent NickZee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,455
    Blog Entries
    13

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    The directory isn’t being updated at the moment. Not only important for SOTD recording, it essentialy means no reviews for new fragrances. Sad times for Basenotes.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

  10. #10

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    The directory isn’t being updated at the moment. Not only important for SOTD recording, it essentialy means no reviews for new fragrances. Sad times for Basenotes.
    I agree, it's a big flaw.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    The directory isn’t being updated at the moment. Not only important for SOTD recording, it essentialy means no reviews for new fragrances. Sad times for Basenotes.
    Let's hope it's not the beginning of the end...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by aikj55 View Post
    Hey guys, its been a minute.. Anyone else struggle to find frags on this site that is in their scent rotation or collection. Many time's i've put smthing on and come to update my SOTD but can't find it on the list! Mega frustrating thing & it blows the mind that you'd easily find missing frags on other similar sites. Also an app will come in handy for SOTD updates too, especially for some of us who might not have much time to come on & talk much about Frags. I just love to look at my frag usage over a week/month/year to see which I reached for more & related stats. Share your thoughts if similar guys....
    That’s nothing new. I always used the other site for the directory, excellent search function, and news. I’ve been using it more recently even for the forums. Unfortunately, I feel like BN has been stagnating for a while. Kind of like on auto pilot. It’s all about the men’s forum, no decent articles, no news, no improvements, nothing. Sad.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

  13. #13
    Basenotes Member aikj55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    That’s nothing new. I always used the other site for the directory, excellent search function, and news. I’ve been using it more recently even for the forums. Unfortunately, I feel like BN has been stagnating for a while. Kind of like on auto pilot. It’s all about the men’s forum, no decent articles, no news, no improvements, nothing. Sad.
    It blows the mind really! I've messaged & even offered to help with database management and simple updating!
    Eg. I just came back on to update my SOTD and can't find it but I can find 2 others from the 3 in the Widian 71 series! How bloody lazy is it to add all 3 whilst adding the other 2 to the directory!
    These 2 sites below have it list on there's amongst countless others on listed on Basenotes.

    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...nse-62609.html
    https://www.parfumo.net/Perfumes/Wid...ion-71-intense
    These Scents are Popping...….

  14. #14
    Basenotes Member aikj55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Posts
    70

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Let's hope it's not the beginning of the end...
    Well what else can explain the lack of simple ( i call it) updates to a database? Is there a license required to do it or some special fee?
    These Scents are Popping...….

  15. #15
    Basenotes Plus

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    25,400
    Blog Entries
    39

    Default Re: Basenotes Usage

    Quote Originally Posted by aikj55 View Post
    Well what else can explain the lack of simple ( i call it) updates to a database? Is there a license required to do it or some special fee?
    There is a database update page that you can put submissions into rather quickly now. I just did one tonight. Grant is prioritizing approval of the submissions. You research, enter the data, he approves weekly or more.

    https://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

    Helps if you can give him the URL of a manufacturer picture of the bottle in the added information field. If the house isn't in the dropdown, post it in the missing fragrances thread - Grant can add it.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines




Similar Threads

  1. Ambrain usage
    By chyprefresh in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26th January 2021, 11:21 PM
  2. BHT usage percentage
    By amateurperfumer in forum Fragrance DIY
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29th July 2019, 02:10 PM
  3. Fragrance atomizer usage
    By Tekdan20 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 31st January 2015, 05:13 PM
  4. Sample Usage Question
    By Bande in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27th March 2013, 09:23 AM
  5. Usage Patterns
    By scentinell in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16th August 2006, 06:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000