Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - June 2021

88213233-4C88-4427-BA76-F4092FD85FE5.jpg

Bruno Fazzolari - Lampblack

Fazzolari said he was after "transparent, colorful darkness," and to my nose he succeeded admirably. The translucent black inky vetiver here is vastly more wearable than Lalique's drearily opaque Encre Noire. The persistent grapefruit top note even makes it functional as a sort of goth eau de cologne, if that's your thing. Kudos to Bruno for putting the "lamp" back in "lampblack."
    Last edited by PStoller; 15th June 2021 at 09:42 PM.
    Currently wearing: Cellini by Fabergé

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Lalique's drearily opaque Encre Noire.
    So good to hear that someone else besides me feels that way about it.

Weirdly, though, I adore the L'Extreme version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post

I know this about you. I remain cautiously optimistic that, at some distant date when I finally try it, I'll feel the same.

Meanwhile, as Lampblack dies down, I'm thinking Bruno could have dialed back the grapefruit just a tad. I don't dislike it, but it tends to overwhelm the other notes.

88213233-4C88-4427-BA76-F4092FD85FE5.jpg

Bruno Fazzolari - Lampblack

Fazzolari said he was after "transparent, colorful darkness," and to my nose he succeeded admirably. The translucent black inky vetiver here is vastly more wearable than Lalique's drearily opaque Encre Noire. The persistent grapefruit top note even makes it functional as a sort of goth eau de cologne, if that's your thing. Kudos to Bruno for putting the "lamp" back in "lampblack."
    Sampled this a couple of times. Like it and EN both, but didn't find it wearable, it's one of those I would probably only wear if I knew I was not going out. Maybe my goth-ness has faded to invisible levels.....

I like this one the least of the line and finally decided the difference was the incense notes. Maybe that's more up your alley.

The Sport seems to be the best way to go for most, it's lightened up enough to be more friendly in general, with the original reserved for dark-fiends.....
    Currently wearing: Aqua Amara by Bulgari

Basenotes Plus

Sampling Sova by Slumberhouse today. Enjoying it the more that time goes by.

Been trying Zoologist samples on and off. Was expecting more hits based on the original Bat being the introduction. Nothing have really disliked but nothing has really jumped out either, but today trying Rhinoceros again and really liking it especially the first hour. Then after updating for wardrobe I see..... two versions. Checked the card and list of notes and turns out it's the old one..... Says the other is 2020 so no idea how hard to find the old one is.... vintage strikes again!!!

Anyone with a taste for rum, especially on the sweet/light side, would probably like this one.....

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    I like this one the least of the line and finally decided the difference was the incense notes. Maybe that's more up your alley.
    As a rule I'm not an incense fan, and I don't think that's what appeals to me about Encre Noir Extreme. I think it's that the vetiver is so smoky, not inky, which brings it closer to Sycomore in tone (thought Sycomore is still far, far better).

The Sport seems to be the best way to go for most, it's lightened up enough to be more friendly in general, with the original reserved for dark-fiends.....
    Still haven't tried that flanker, and I guess I should one day.

Sampling Chanel 31 Rue Cambon today again. I've worn it several times and can never make up my mind if I like it or not. Today in warm weather I found it went somewhere sweet and creamy that I didn't like. Other times I've tried it and wondered why I haven't bought this yet.

It feels like a Frankenstein of other fragrances in the line but kind of suffers from not doing any one thing as well. For the first time I recently noticed a Coromandal like patchouli in the base. There's definitely that ambrette and floral cocktail that makes No.18 so nice. The opening has that beautiful fizzy aldehyde and bergamot thing found in several Chanel's. But somehow altogether it's not as nice as any of those.

By the end of today, I was so bored of smelling it I sprayed some No. 19 just to liven things up. For now it's going to the bottom of my Les Exclusives list to purchase next, but I'll revisit it again in cooler weather.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

79C56B6D-C64E-42E6-8F72-4000DD8B8444.jpg

Les Liquides Imaginaires - Eau Delà: Sancti—L'Eau Bénite

Subtle and lovely, calming and balanced. I have a busy day so hard to wrap my head around it now, but I could see coming back to it often.

Basenotes Plus

Trying out DS & Durga - St Vetyver - Spicy, sweet, and a bit creamy. Not as 'dirty' as Cowboy Grass.

Common Lackey

Masque - Montecristo

Please come sit next to me.

Please come sit next to me.
    Certainly, Mrs. Longworth!

I had expected to love this, but while I do like it, I'm finding it a tad opaque—like chewing a cigar rather than smelling one. But I expect this will linger a good long while, so we'll see how I feel in a few hours.

Basenotes Plus

Sampling Cuir-Curcuma by Affinessence today and loving it.

Common Lackey

Certainly, Mrs. Longworth!
    Did my Alice Blue gown give me away?

I had expected to love this, but while I do like it, I'm finding it a tad opaque—like chewing a cigar rather than smelling one.
    I only had a decant of it (thanks to DuNez), quite a while back, but it knocked me out. I found it more horsey than cigar-y. Loved it to bits, but the price zoomed right after I tried it, and I never bought.

But I expect this will linger a good long while, so we'll see how I feel in a few hours.
    Oh, you can count on it lingering.

Did my Alice Blue gown give me away?
    Blue? I thought it was Rose Velvet.

I only had a decant of it (thanks to DuNez), quite a while back, but it knocked me out. I found it more horsey than cigar-y. Loved it to bits, but the price zoomed right after I tried it, and I never bought.
    Weep not. If I don't come around, my loss might be your gain.

Common Lackey

Blue? I thought it was Rose Velvet.
    It took me a full 30 seconds to get that.

It took me a full 30 seconds to get that.
    And nobody else knows what the hell we're talking about.

Common Lackey

As a rule I'm not an incense fan, and I don't think that's what appeals to me about Encre Noir Extreme. I think it's that the vetiver is so smoky, not inky, which brings it closer to Sycomore in tone (thought Sycomore is still far, far better).
    Still haven't tried that flanker, and I guess I should one day.

So much for my hunch...... I like smoky vetiver so that's even more weird it is my least favorite. Maybe the incense overcomes the vetiver for my nose. Next wear will try to pay attention to the smoke....

Do you like Goutal Vetiver? Am probably the only person here that the current is my favorite vetiver, due to its extremely smoky goodness....

Get a room!!!

Back to sampling, just put on AdP Sakura. I see it has no reviews. It's nice, and floral, and the kind of thing I'm sampling to broaden the palate, but so far out of my area of interest/experience am not the best candidate to critique it. The Floris version was much more cherry-centric as I recall, this one the jasmine and unnamed white floral are well blended in. Not finding the yellow mandarin...... It seems like something a floral lover would like....

Basenotes Plus

That one was definitely an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    That one was definitely an experience.
    It was, but in the end I was neither put off nor entranced. I seem to have the middle ground practically to myself.

Basenotes Plus

It was, but in the end I was neither put off nor entranced. I seem to have the middle ground practically to myself.
    Yeah, it seems like a love-it-or-hate-it scent for most. I had big hopes when I tried it, but found it off-putting.

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Sampling Chanel 31 Rue Cambon today again. I've worn it several times and can never make up my mind if I like it or not. Today in warm weather I found it went somewhere sweet and creamy that I didn't like. Other times I've tried it and wondered why I haven't bought this yet.
    That one is kind of tricky to wear IMO. Is this the EDT or EDP that you tried?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

67C513D2-8364-435F-ADDC-7170E60C2FE8.jpg

Frederic Malle - French Lover

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but not this. Fortunately, an entirely pleasant surprise. For me, it's about the gossamer interplay between the vetiver, iris, and incense, but the patchouli manages to impart a delicately sweet vibrance without adding significant weight. I chanced this sample for the Friday Summer Solstice sync, and it couldn't have been more perfect.

Between this and Creed Bois du Portugal, I can forgive Bourdon for Cool Water and Green Irish Tweed.

353A718B-3EF0-4B3A-ABB8-F7ADF5E07110.jpg

Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Ô Hira

The BN directory pyramid only lists amber, no doubt because SHL cites "fossilized amber" as the sole olfactive note. However, the SHL website also describes "a layering of amber, leather and woody notes, headed by a superb pyrogenic styrax…impressions of earth, salpetre, amber and cinnamon…[and] the core is solid and based on tonka bean, torrefied vanilla and musk." (FYI, "pyrogenic" and "torrefied" are essentially the same heat treatment, and if they didn't use those terms, you wouldn't miss the omission and the perfume would be no more or less exotic.)

I thought I picked up myrrh in the opening, but I guess that was the styrax mixed with the resinous amber. It's a sort of root-beer-and-tobacco accord that had me thinking, "Ah, this is what I hoped for from Montecristo!"

Soon enough, though, that smoky sarsaparilla styrax takes a back seat to the amber, which, while truly lovely (and thankfully not overladen with vanilla for that caramel candy effect common to too many ambers), is more comforting than exciting. That might suffice if this cost at most half the $485/50ml it does; the original $825 must have sprained more than a few eyebrows. I really do like it, mind you, but liking and justifying ain't always the same thang.
    Last edited by PStoller; 19th June 2021 at 10:56 PM.

SOTE:

31146DDA-BA65-4CF8-94C6-A6B143AFDCC6.jpg

Profumi del Forte - Versilia Vintage—Ambra Mediterranea

For the sake of comparison, the other amber in my current sample lineup. Notes to follow.

It occurs to me from my responses to both VVAM and OH that what I seek in amber is something other than amber. These are both good ambers, and more than that, both fresh takes on amber; and yet my disappointment in both is that, after whatever fascinations they conjure in their openings, they dry down to, well, amber. And even a fine, warm, naturalistic amber is never going to excite me, especially when mated to its usual partner, vanilla (again, of whatever quality). I can't blame amber for that, and I have to confess that I specifically requested these samples, so I've gotten what I paid for, albeit in trade.

VVAM adds spice and smoke to amber with coriander, cedar, and incense, all of which are welcome to my nose, if not as exciting as the opening of OH. I can't recall for sure, but I think the incense holds on longer here than the styrax there, but not so much longer as to make a huge difference in my appreciation. In the end, both the boldness of the opening and the sumptuous quality of the amber weigh in Ô Hira's favor. Ambra Mediterranea wins on price, but not to the degree that I'd rush out and buy a FB.

If you love amber, both of these are well worth trying. As someone who prefers amber as a supporting player, they won my respect, but not my love.
    Last edited by PStoller; 21st June 2021 at 11:52 PM.

E196FAFD-2C13-46D5-85A0-DF0756B7DD63.jpg

Xerjoff - Richwood

If you're after opulence, you'll find it here. (Cook.bot must hate it.) Richwood opens with enough olfactory calories to make butter look like skim milk. Gorging on such gorgeousness is a hedonistic delight at first, but just as too much creme filling can steer one from the gates of Heaven to the purge-atory of nausea, Richwood risks overstaying its welcome. It resolves this by shedding its decadent and complex top to reveal a less interesting but no less assertive base of powdery vanilla, musk, and sandalwood. I'm left with the impression of a niche "upgrade" of Chanel Égoïste. Richwood might tempt me once or twice a year, but for the other 363 days, I'd rather wear the Chanel. I'll give it this, though: you can sure as hell smell the money.
    Last edited by PStoller; 22nd June 2021 at 12:07 AM.

Basenotes Plus

How are you liking it? This one was really nice IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    How are you liking it? This one was really nice IMO.
    I’m running behind on comments: hope to catch up tomorrow!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast