Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - June 2021

I'm out of untried samples again, but l'll be putting a new order in soon! ln the meantime, l look forward to reading your impressions of whatever you're trying this month, folks.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sample of the Day - June 2021

El Descanso by Frassai - Enjoying it, but not blown away by it.

Several EDP concentration fragrances by l'Erbolario.

Will rank the most recent ones among these in the order of enjoyable/favorable impressions and experiences:

Ortensia- nice down to earth and actually earthy scent, nothing spectacular but still decent

Shades of Dahlia- pleasant floral notes with enjoyable depth and moderate sweetness, maybe a certain 80s floral powerhouse throwback/inspiration identifiable in this to a certain point

Dance of Flowers- likely the most complex and fascinatingly challenging tested, to the point that one testing and wearing this can effortlessly identify the single notes as well as their smooth blending towards a balanced synergy all at once
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

I have nearly 400 untried samples, and having plowed through my (mostly vintage) bottles, the samples are next.

SOTD:

D2F8ECCC-6F9E-4E17-9A59-C11729699E0B.jpg

Roja Dove - Fetish pour Homme

This and Enigma (my projected SOTE) are my first Roja scents. They’d better be good, since I have to scrub yesterday’s delectable and persistent Norma Kamali Incense to try them. Notes to follow.

Criticism of FpH seems primarily to be that it's a very expensive Herm鑚 Bel Ami clone. I haven't pulled ye olde cocktail shaker out for a while, so I can't fairly compare—perhaps I need to change my SOTE plans—but FpH is a fine vintage-style leather chypre. The various notes in the pyramid look enticing, but they don't distinguish themselves individually to my nose. Do I need to spend $10/ml on it? No, not when I can get any number of true vintage leather chypres (including Bel Ami) for considerably less. But there's a fair chance I'll use up this decant some day.

…and I went with Bel Ami for my SOTN, so Enigma will have to wait.

Are they similar? Both are leathers, with a similar leather note. But Bel Ami has a sweaty cumin note that’s not in Fetish, while Fetish has a prominent fig that emerges after a couple of hours. Fetish strikes me as Bel Ami-inspired, but not a clone. Still, not different (never mind better) enough to justify the price.
    Last edited by PStoller; 4th June 2021 at 06:31 AM.

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

Where was I before I so rudely interrupted myself? Oh, right…

SOTD: Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme. Nothing much to add to the BN reviews. It leans too gourmand for my tastes. All that stuff about leather and woody aromachemicals notwithstanding, my overall impression is of a spicy muffin. And it smells like a good spicy muffin, but that’s not how I want to smell.

LATER: The late drydown is better, per my nose. It probably lasts a while, too, but I think I’m going to scrub it in the interest of trying something else. Ultimately, it strikes me as a perfectly good (but overpriced) version of something that isn’t my style.
    Last edited by PStoller; 7th June 2021 at 12:01 AM.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    SOTD: Roja Dove - Enigma pour Homme.
    You might (and I emphasize might) be interested in a pass that Bavard did of ten Rojas a couple of years ago, and his usual economical and pithy assessments of them:

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/46...-Dove-Sampling

...even though I personally got so bored with all the opulence that I didn't even make it through all the samples, and wound up sending them on before finishing.

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    You might (and I emphasize might) be interested in a pass that Bavard did of ten Rojas a couple of years ago, and his usual economical and pithy assessments of them:

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/46...-Dove-Sampling

...even though I personally got so bored with all the opulence that I didn't even make it through all the samples, and wound up sending them on before finishing.
    Well, these are the only two I have at the moment. I have a reasonably high tolerance for opulence, depending on how one defines it. I just don’t want to smell like a deli dessert tray (though I love smelling the real thing). If Fetish pour Homme were $100 for $50ml instead of $500, I might consider it.

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

9E86CBD6-E81D-4FBF-9694-0E1626AF31E0.jpg

Amouage - Epic Man x 2

On a few occasions, I’ve lost track of whom I’ve asked for a sample of what. This is one of those occasions. So here I am with two Epic Man samples from two kind and generous BNers, and since I don’t know that the vintage/formulation is the same, I may as well wear one on each arm. Notes to follow.

Epic Man is what we've come to think of—or perhaps used to think of—as a fragrance for manly men: a dry and pungent mix of herbs and spices, incense, leather, woods, and animalics. The pyramid lists "berry essence," patchouli, and geranium, but a fruity floral this ain't. Rather, they provide just enough juice to combat desiccation, like mink oil rubbed into the leather. (Without that, you risk ending up with something like Orlane Derrick.) One review called out an overbearing sweaty cumin note, but as someone who rejected Puig Quorum and Sung Homme for that reason, I didn't find any such issue with Epic. It's not even close to the superb Eau d'Herm鑚 in that department. (If you smell BO, maybe it's you.) Also, while various reviews make Epic sound like some sort of monster fragrance, I haven't found it so in my admittedly cautious application.* Not that I'd use it to act out an Axe Body Spray commercial, but a couple more spritzes wouldn't have hurt anyone.

A full bottle is likely on my horizon.

* Then again, Dr. T. came home hours later and caught the sillage from across the room. Caveat velatos.
    Last edited by PStoller; 8th June 2021 at 03:55 AM.

Blog Entries

Amouage - Epic Man x 2

On a few occasions, I’ve lost track of whom I’ve asked for a sample of what. This is one of those occasions. So here I am with two Epic Man samples from two kind and generous BNers, and since I don’t know that the vintage/formulation is the same, I may as well wear one on each arm. Notes to follow.
    And spelling mistakes on both of them!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Common Lackey

On a few occasions, I致e lost track of whom I致e asked for a sample of what. This is one of those occasions.
    I can simplify your elimination process a little bit: if it's ever an Amouage or a Serge Lutens that's in doubt, it didn't come from me.

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

I can simplify your elimination process a little bit: if it's ever an Amouage or a Serge Lutens that's in doubt, it didn't come from me.
    Heh! No, my problem (this time) isn't that I don't know who sent these: I know the source of each with absolute certainty. It's just that I asked one friend when I forgot I already had a sample on the way from the other, which is why I have two decants.

Common Lackey

Heh! No, my problem (this time) isn't that I don't know who sent these: I know the source of each with absolute certainty. It's just that I asked one friend when I forgot I already had a sample on the way from the other, which is why I have two decants.
    That's a nifty trick that I need to remember for future use: just let your bad memory take the rap for your greediness!

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

That's a nifty trick that I need to remember for future use: just let your bad memory take the rap for your greediness!
    Hey, now, I coulda done this without a pic and nobody would've been the wiser.

I may be greedy, but I'm not stupid.

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

233BEF77-8427-4108-8627-8FBD2B22A222.jpg

Unum - LAVS

Dark, smoky incense concocted from resins and spices over moss and rosewood. Everyone pegs it as frankincense, despite frankincense/olibanum being absent from Unum’s published pyramid. The foreboding opening soon gives way to a more traditional “high church” incense, smooth and airy rather than scratchy or nostril-searing. Growing ever lighter and cleaner in tone as it dries down, LAVS gives the impression of a shadow continually lifting.

I’m by no means Catholic, but I could see slinking into a basilica to nab some of this stuff. Strictly for fans of the style, who are unlikely to be disappointed.
    Last edited by PStoller; 9th June 2021 at 02:58 AM.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Mr Burberry Indigo

herbal / spicy / woody / leather. Hint of freshness (mint) leads to a violet leaf/spicy woody scent with a hint of leather. Not bad, nothing great. Ideal in fall/autumn.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insens / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Basenotes Plus

I meant to post it here, but last week I tried a couple samples from Onyrico: Ingenium and Zephyro. I loved them both and would recommend exploring this niche house.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

NR for Him EdP Intense - A fresh, clean musk. Listed notes of iris and pink pepper as per BN, but hard to discern those. Linear, radiant, close to skin but persistent. A bit of sweetness in the mid-phases, but gradually disappears. Androgynous, and quite lovely.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insens / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

I *think* I'm wearing Hypnotic Leather by Jousset. I didn't look at the label on the sample but going by smell and a mental inventory I believe I'm right.
    Currently wearing: Musk Oud by By Kilian

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

0F216B47-7B0A-49AD-9F62-528C501581EA.jpg

MDCI - Invasion Barbare

Brut for junior executives. Good of its ilk, but doesn't warrant the ticket price for the hype train.
    Last edited by PStoller; 9th June 2021 at 08:57 PM.

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

1033B1FB-DE6D-49FC-B692-1BE0A8DD517E.jpg

Le Labo - Tabac 28

I've gone back and forth on this, so the widely divergent opinions don't surprise me. Basically, there's a real nice cigar note here, but I wish it didn't have to fight quite so hard with the (synthetic) cedar that I imagine is meant to emulate the cigar box and/or a rum cask. Fortunately, the stogie outlasts the wood, at which point it becomes more enjoyable. I'm not sure it warrants Le Labo's City Exclusive price tag, but it's a nice alternative to the pipe, cigarette, and raw tobaccos featured in most other scents in its category. I suspect I'll at least use up the sample; where I go from there depends on whether it's ever discounted or instead becomes an even pricier unicorn.
    Last edited by PStoller; 11th June 2021 at 03:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    And spelling mistakes on both of them!

Can picture the thread where someone bought these off ebay and is asking if they are fake or not....
    Currently wearing: Noble Fig by Ferrari

I may be greedy, but I'm not stupid.
    That sounds like an excellent campaign slogan for someone....

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

A80AB9D4-0D8D-4116-90A9-9D1C85454E8F.jpg

Jovoy - L’Art de la Guerre

This is a pleasant surprise. The apple and rhubarb notes add some tartness up front while steering clear of fruity territory, while the heart and base notes are blended harmoniously so as to be warm and just slightly sweet without going gourmand, amber, or blatantly synthetic wood and leather. Neither aggressively modern nor self-consciously retro, l'Art de la Guerre has an old-school vibe without smelling old. FB-worthy.
    Last edited by PStoller; 12th June 2021 at 11:15 PM.

Always be smelling

A80AB9D4-0D8D-4116-90A9-9D1C85454E8F.jpg

Jovoy - L但rt de la Guerre

This is a pleasant surprise. The apple and rhubarb notes add some tartness up front while steering clear of fruity territory, while the heart and base notes are blended harmoniously so as to be warm and just slightly sweet without going gourmand, amber, or blatantly synthetic wood and leather. Neither aggressively modern nor self-consciously retro, l'Art de la Guerre has an old-school vibe without smelling old. FB-worthy.
    Yes. This is a good one. My SOTD for a backyard party.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Received a generous sample of Xerjoff Pikovaya Dama, something that I've always wanted to try. I plan to apply this on arm shortly, hope it's nice.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I知 not old, I知 vintage.

83DA8975-999C-4F3C-ADC5-8F23209EE7E9.jpg

LM Parfums - Black Oud

This is—nice. Which is a bit underwhelming for something with as stark and ominous a name as "Black Oud." It's a pleasant wear, warm, animalic but in a clean way—no funky barnyard or sweaty notes here—and not enough apart from the base to offer much in the way of development or dimension. It might be good for layering with a fragrance too light in its underpinnings. I can't see paying niche prices for that, though.
    Last edited by PStoller; 15th June 2021 at 12:32 AM.

Basenotes Plus

Sampling Roja Dove Diaghilev today. Enjoying it, but it's not something I'd buy or wear with any regularity.

Basenotes Plus

This evening I'm sampling Slumberhouse Ore. I've tried it before a while back so now I'm just reacquainting myself with it. An excellent chocolate scent.

Earlier today tried Montale Oriental Flowers. For me, wow is it bad. Reading the notes (Top Notes Bergamot, Rose, Ylang ylang Heart Notes Orris root, Jasmine Base notes Peru balsam) there is nothing I don't like. Not sure what ylang ylang smells like by itself but have had other scents listing it with no issues. It almost smells like it's the jasmine, but it's been rotting for a while or something. One review found the opening horrible and cited celery, but said it got better.... it didn't seem celery and it sure didn't get better. Fortunately later on was shower time before going out and some good scrubbing to remove all history of it....

This is the third Montale I have found very bad, although others are ok to good, so it seems some may have something common that just doesn't suit me. Curious if anyone else has tried this, and if they did not like it why? It's kind of annoying not to know what it is that is bad news, but then again given inconsistent pyramids/marketing/labeling it may not really help in the future anyway to know......

Basenotes Plus

Tried Monsieur by Pierre Guillaume this morning. Green and earthy while also fresh and light. I liked it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast