Code of Conduct

Default The great "mass market" ambergris scents

Let's get the obvious out of the way: a rare material like ambergris doesn't end up in a "mass market" fragrance, but it's nevertheless hugely influential and a number of perfumers have tried their hands at mimicking an ambergris accord with other materials.

What significant fragrances past and present outside of the niche/artisanal space successfully imitate an ambergris accord?

(This thread idea occurred to me after spending my evening with Eau des Merveilles, which is, in many ways, an attempt to evoke the feeling of ambergris. Its flanker, Elixir, goes even heavier on the ambergris base, pushing into lightly animalic territory.)

Default Re: The great "mass market" ambergris scents

Encens Mythique D'Orient Guerlain is one that comes right to my mind.
    A warm cozy amber hug with just the right amount of rose.
    If you can smell me you're too close.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

I liked that Encens Mythique or whatever from Guerlain.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Designer fragrances:

Mr. Burberry Element by Burberry
    Exquisite Embroidery by YSL
    Ambre Eternel by Guerlain
    Momentum Intense by Bentley
    Tuxedo by YSL
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Of course there is ambergris in the mass market.... look, ALD Atlantic Ambergris is my dumb reach, so?

Jokes on the side, I had the chance to have a friend send me half a ml of AA, an it was divine. Way softer thn what I expected in terms of 'ambergris', but divine.

Good imitations? I know only one:
    Dionisio by Tiziana Terenzi (unisex)

'Does the job' imitations?
    Eight & Bob (original) - which is the 'mainstream' take on TT Dionisio (unisex leaning masculine)
    AdP Colonia Ambra (unisex leaning masculine)
    Guerlain Encens Mythique (feminine)
    Guerlain Ambre Eternel (feminine) - good ambergris impression, but I personally hate the fragrance

It should be noted that ambergris and amber are very different scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Vagrant View Post
    I wonder if I still have my sample. This was mostly straightforward rose to me and I didn't find the complexity in it that others have.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Designer fragrances:

Mr. Burberry Element by Burberry
    Exquisite Embroidery by YSL
    Ambre Eternel by Guerlain
    Momentum Intense by Bentley
    Tuxedo by YSL
    I knew Hednic would come through with some off-the-beaten-path recs.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    Of course there is ambergris in the mass market.... look, ALD Atlantic Ambergris is my dumb reach, so?

Jokes on the side, I had the chance to have a friend send me half a ml of AA, an it was divine. Way softer thn what I expected in terms of 'ambergris', but divine.
    My go-to real ambergris is Sheikh Al Faransi, which is very affordable for what you get so that you don't have to be too precious about it.

Good imitations? I know only one:
    Dionisio by Tiziana Terenzi (unisex)

'Does the job' imitations?
    Eight & Bob (original) - which is the 'mainstream' take on TT Dionisio (unisex leaning masculine)
    Guerlain Encens Mythique (feminine)
    Guerlain Ambre Eternel (feminine) - good ambergris impression, but I personally hate the fragrance
    That Dionisio seems to be quite polarizing, though I think Terenzi is stretching the boundaries of "mass market" here.

I know you like the Eight & Bob (you've recommended it a few times at least), but I find that one pretty underwhelming and thin.

Hey fellas - if its affordable it ain't Ambergris, which apart from being too expensive is not consistent in it's smell. It depends how long the vomit has been immersed in the sea.

It's Ambroxan via clary sage.

Check out Molecule 02 for a rather boring example of what has replaced Ambergris.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Hey fellas - if its affordable it ain't Ambergris,
    I noted this in my original post.

This thread is about highlighting good approximations of ambergris in mass-market scents.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    This thread is about highlighting good approximations of ambergris in mass-market scents.
    And I've given you an example

I'd list Caron pour Un Homme Sport here, but I'm not sure it belongs. The ambergris in its base is clearly mostly a well-orchestrated use of synthetics (ambroxan? cetalox?), but it does have something of that 3-D salivic/breathy quality you get in the real thing. The ad copy claims that it uses real ambergris in some capacity, which is a head-scratcher given its pricing (even at full retail), so it must only be an infinitesimal amount, but that might be contributing to it feeling a little more three-dimensional than it might otherwise.

Micallef Avant-Garde is built around a synthetic ambergris that seems to be using one of the more aquatic aromachems as a base, but it conjures up some of that salivic, breathy quality, too, particularly in the opening.

Maybe also Ambre & Santal by l'Occitan, the meanwhile discontinued Cerruti 1881 Amber and/or Amber River by Al Aneeq:

with the slight disclaimer that the possible intention might have been in all these cases not so much to limit the production costs and also final retail prices to a minimum, as much as providing a fairly decent rendition of an ambery "Mediterranean", summery scent at fairly affordable yet still not heavily discounted pricing

I always liked the synthetic ambergris that Creed uses. Especially in Millesime Imperial and Silver Mountain Water. Nice sparkly salty note.

Encens Mythique, Ambre Nuit, and Ambre Russe are ones that come to mind.

Black XS has ambergris?
    It's No3 on this list.
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/galler...ragrance-guide

Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Black XS has ambergris?
    It's No3 on this list.
    https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/galler...ragrance-guide

Regards,
    Renato
    Yeah but in my opinion the note you smell in that one is straight up sweet raspberry and citrus. I wouldn't call it ambergris-prominent.
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    That Dionisio seems to be quite polarizing, though I think Terenzi is stretching the boundaries of "mass market" here.

I know you like the Eight & Bob (you've recommended it a few times at least), but I find that one pretty underwhelming and thin.
    I manage to wear Dionisio quite easily, and apparently, it pleases people.

E&B is not stunning. But of all the artificial rendition of ambergris I have smelt, it is quite well rendered.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Vagrant View Post
    I'd have to agree with a previous post by Brooks: Encens Mythique is all about aldehydes and rose to my nose.

The saltiness in the base is clearly there to remind of the sea, but doesn't come close to the real deal. To my nose, it smells like Cetalox, one of the several ambergris alternatives. I do not trust Guerlain when they state they use real ambergris, nor in that one, nor in Ambre Eternel. If they do, it's probably low quality black ambergris, or if it's really the good grey or white one (aged), it's probably just an undetectable drop per 1000 gallon of juice.

Here an idea of the many ambergris substitutes one can use. Some are commonly used (ambrocenide, aka ambroxan) but there are many 'better' rendition of it:
    ambergris.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by joe king View Post
    It should be noted that ambergris and amber are very different scents.
    Yes, we've had this discussion before.
    "Amber" is in practically everything and especially in mass market scents. "Amber" is apparently usually some mixture of labdanum (or some other leather note), benzoin, vanilla, styrax and something like fir, pine or cedar (or some other woody note.)
    Ambergris is a completely different unrelated note..and actually is one individual note, not a mixture of notes. And..real ambergris is ridiculously expensive and might coast at least as much as gold. Which is crazy when you consider what it is.

I didn't think it was used in a lot of popular mass market scents. The main one that really springs to mind is Creed. I think they use ambergris in the base of a number of their perfumes. I wasn't even aware of most of the other ones you guys mentioned. lol
    I guess Creed isn't really "mass market" or "popular" though. Technically it's niche, I think.

Try "Ambre Gris" by Alyssa Ashley. Dirty cheap still really good.

Except you got it backwards. This Tiziana Terenzi (like most of their scents) is a clone/dupe. This time of the said Eight & Bob. I've tried plenty of Tiziana Terenzi scents and was disgusted by how cynical copies they were and how they have the nerve to ask such high prices for what is essentially someone else's creative work. I don't understand why TT is not being called out more for what they are in our community.

+1

Basenotes Plus

To the OP: Have you tried Dioressence by Christian Dior (vintage)?
    "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. "

-- D. Elton Trueblood