Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Clean, fresh barber sop/shaving foam vibe?

So, I do love Rive Gauche PH but as it's discontinued my options are limited unless i want to get ripped off.
    I have found an 80ml 'La collection' clear bottle for £85 delivered. I don't know if that's a good price or too cheap to be true i.e. fake as the others on the site are all £125+?

Anyway, I'm wondering if the below may be alternatives, not the exact same scent but scratch the same itch so to speak?

Chanel Platinum Egoiste (current)
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Viking 'Cologne'

YSL Pour Homme (La Collection)
    or
    KDJ 'Inspired' (0407S) A clone house, Described as 'notes similar to RGPH'. (Anyone tried these?)
    or
    Other/s?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts and perhaps other suggestions I could consider. Prefer not to go too far into niche-ville as I am unlikely to mess about trying to find them and don't want to part with a kidney to afford it.

Oh I've tried Azzaro PH and hate it, too harsh and bitter. I've also tried TF BDJ and it is not fresh or creamy/smooth enough for me, too herbal.
    Also tried Paco Rabanne PH and also found it too harsh and not smooth enough by a long way.

Bear in mind I'm after that barber shop clean, soapy, shaving foam/creamy freshness.

Default Re: Clean, fresh barber sop/shaving foam vibe?

There is a long thread here on BN where the Rive Gauche substitution is discussed and I can only vouch for the DUA version.
    It is 98% of the way there and in higher concentration no less.

Everything else suggested is basically pale attempts which will only serve to p*ss you off.

THAT BEING SAID
    The fragrances you mention are good fragrances in their own right but have nothing to do with what you're after.

Pascal Morabito Or Black.

Similar shaving cream feel (and it's better than Rive Gauche, in my humble opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    ... I have found an 80ml 'La collection' clear bottle for £85 delivered. I don't know if that's a good price or too cheap to be true i.e. fake as the others on the site are all £125+?....
    I think you should buy that La Collection bottle. I am assuming that the more expensive £125+ bottles are for the tin can original version? Nothing else with be a proper substitute and you will end up being disappointed. Most seem to agree that the re-released version is as good as the original tin can release.

Having said that, don't discount another classic in the stable: Kouros. With all the discontinuation talk and its legendary status, I decided to finally pick up a bottle and yes it is different to Rive Gauche but there are also a lot of similarities and it gives me a similar impression. They contain many of the same notes but Kouros has that honey on top. They are not the same but it might give you that sensation you are looking for: old school shaving vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Pascal Morabito Or Black.

Similar shaving cream feel (and it's better than Rive Gauche, in my humble opinion).
    This is one that I really need to revisit after all these years. I had read so much about it, managed to get a bottle and then really didn't like it. Perhaps I will be able to more fully appreciate it now that my tastes have become a bit wiser.
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Quote Originally Posted by chopwet View Post
    I think you should buy that La Collection bottle. I am assuming that the more expensive £125+ bottles are for the tin can original version? Nothing else with be a proper substitute and you will end up being disappointed. Most seem to agree that the re-released version is as good as the original tin can release.

Having said that, don't discount another classic in the stable: Kouros. With all the discontinuation talk and its legendary status, I decided to finally pick up a bottle and yes it is different to Rive Gauche but there are also a lot of similarities and it gives me a similar impression. They contain many of the same notes but Kouros has that honey on top. They are not the same but it might give you that sensation you are looking for: old school shaving vibes.

This is one that I really need to revisit after all these years. I had read so much about it, managed to get a bottle and then really didn't like it. Perhaps I will be able to more fully appreciate it now that my tastes have become a bit wiser.
    Thanks.
    Actually I'm not even counting the tin can versions as they are all over £170. The others I mentioned for £125+ were also 'La Collection' (some also clear bottle and some with the black top section) which is why I'm cautious about the cheaper one?

I used to love Kouros as a young man in the 80's, I recall it being fresh and slightly sweet and very clean...but I smelt it on a client a couple of years ago and it smelt like urine to me...awful? Perhaps it was him?
    Perhaps I need to try it on my skin again.

I'm not into barbershop scents really, but I do like TF Fougere d'Argent. It's definitely smoother than Beau de Jour. I think it's still available.

+1 Or Black

I’d also add Bottega Veneta Pour Homme - it’s better known for its pine and light suede notes, but the base is pure Barbasol to me. And it has none of the bitter herbal elements that it seems like you’re not a huge fan of, which are more prominent in Or Black (but still worth checking out).
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Diptyque Eau de Minthe
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Brian5701 View Post
    I'm not into barbershop scents really, but I do like TF Fougere d'Argent. It's definitely smoother than Beau de Jour. I think it's still available.
    Smoky shaving cream with amped-up amber.

I prefer it to Rive Gauche and the other TF fougeres (including Beau de Jour).

Blog Entries

Dare I say, Sauvage EDP or Luna Rossa Carbon
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Penhaligon's Sartorial is a very nice fragrance for this category. I get really good performance with it. Also, AoS Green Lavender is a good choice. The dry down is very nice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Vintage Kouros as fresh and clean is a unique take on this! People complain that the current version is too fresh and clean relative to vintage, so who knows, perhaps it will click on you. Still, I wouldn't describe even the current version as fresh and clean. In the UK, there is a very cheap Kouros knockoff, I think it's called Milton Lloyd Silver, which I think is decent.

cacio

I find guerlain heritage to have a clean barbershop vibe. It is easier to get hold of vintage versions than rive gauche.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Anyway, I'm wondering if the below may be alternatives, not the exact same scent but scratch the same itch so to speak?

Chanel Platinum Egoiste (current)
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Viking 'Cologne'

YSL Pour Homme (La Collection)
    Any of the above would be fine IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Dare I say, Sauvage EDP or Luna Rossa Carbon
    Though Sloth is quite particular, I do think PRADA LUNA ROSS CARBON might walk the line enough to be at least worth a sniff. I'm a big RGPH fan and really don't think any others hit the shaving foam as right on the head.

I've seen lots of good comments about OR BLACK, but that looks harder to find than RIVE GAUCHE.

Someone reviewed CARBON as smelling like shaving cream from the future. I can see that It smells nothing like RGPH really, but it does have a clean, fresh sort of soapy vibe. It grew on me fast.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    Though Sloth is quite particular, I do think PRADA LUNA ROSS CARBON might walk the line enough to be at least worth a sniff. I'm a big RGPH fan and really don't think any others hit the shaving foam as right on the head.

Someone reviewed CARBON as smelling like shaving cream from the future. I can see that It smells nothing like RGPH really, but it does have a clean, fresh sort of soapy vibe. It grew on me fast.
    I agree. Love the stuff and find it serves a similar purpose as RGPH did for me.

If you want to go to the past rather than the future, IMO the original Dunhill for Men (1934), while it has a complex set of notes, comes across ultimately as leather and lather.

Current Favorites:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Lalique Pour Homme EDP, Cartier Declaration

Basenotes Plus

Love this one as well.

This is a winner!
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    3. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    4. Mugler Over the Musk
    5. Carner Fig Man

Buy Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by Bis100 View Post
    Buy Rive Gauche.
    Have to agree. After trying dozens and dozens of other fragrances searching for a clean, shaving cream style barbershop, nothing else has been quite as excellent as Rive Gauche. For what it's worth, Rive Gauche is my favourite scent of all time. I know you're weren't a fan, but I absolutely love Beau de Jour. Not as clean as RG, but nails the shaving cream aspect perfectly.

I would also recommend trying Or Black, it's very very nice and shares many similar traits to Rive Gauche. Its the best substitute for Rive Gauche that isn't a flat out clone.

I also have a roll on of Crown Shaving Co Signature Cologne, a more anisic Rive Gauche that is closer than Or Black, but I don't know its availability outside of Canada and was probably created as a Rive Gauche clone. I've yet to try Fine American Blend or American Barber by Razorock but I've heard both are worth their money as Rive Gauche clones
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Lomani pour Homme
    Spray less, love more.

Many great recommendations already, also adding Cerruti 1881 Edition Blanche, Azzaro PH l'Eau, Acca Kappa Cedro and 1869 by the same house, Caron pour Homme Sport, Verdon and/or Cedrat by l'Occitane, Sir Irisch Moos, Carthusia Uomo, Fougere Royale, Lalique White

Dua Fragrances has a good copy of the original Rive Gauche PH for less than $40 for 1 oz (if you buy when they are running one of their 30% off sales). The name of it is River Fougere.

It's actually very nice.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Green Lavender Cologne Intense
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Junkie

From ur list, creed OV def has the clean soapy vibe. Its not a fougere by any means but paired with the OV shaving soap, it could make a great barbersop frag.

Others that are clean and soapy
    Penhaligons castile
    Adp colonia and essenza
    Creed neroli sauvage

And these are perhaps more representative of tge fougere style...
    Hdp 1725
    Loewe essencia
    Pdm darley
    Mfk masculin pluriel

And these masculin chypres could work too...
    Pdn new york intense
    Eau sauvage
    Chanel pm
    Eau de rochas

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Basenotes Institution

I would go with Original Vetiver.

Quote Originally Posted by allkindsofwatches1 View Post
    Penhaligon's Sartorial is a very nice fragrance for this category. I get really good performance with it. Also, AoS Green Lavender is a good choice. The dry down is very nice.
    These are fine fragrances. Penhaligon’s Endymion, as well.

You may find other suggestions for true “dupes” (or at least close alternatives) in other threads, so I’ll go out on a limb and suggest a few that aren’t “Rive Gauche-like”, but still clean, fresh, and “shaving-foamy” to my nose:

Lalique L’Insoumis
    Mugler Alien Man
    Mont Blanc Legend edp

Also surprised no one has mentioned Replica At the Barbers.
    Currently wearing: Boss Bottled by Hugo Boss

I'd add Chanel Pour Monsieur Cologne Concentree to the ones mentioned. A good barbershop scent.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Would Houbigant Fougere Royale count.

A very clean and enjoyable scent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chanel Platinum Egoiste
    White Light, White Heat!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast