Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default I can't help but worry over fragrance shipped via truck in the Summer over a week.

Hmm,

I recently ordered Armaf Sillage, the Silver Mountain Water knockoff. It shipped yesterday and I noticed it's coming all the way from New York to Las Vegas in what is obviously a truck in June over a 6 day period. I can't think that is good for a fragrance. I dislike the thought of any of my fragrances exposed to Summer temps. Psychologically I prefer to buy from retail stores in the Summer and from shippers in the cooler months. I know it's paranoid, but when it comes to fragrances, I have learned not to discount some circumstance that can alter the way a fragrance smells. I am less likely to think that an Armaf is anything other than chemicals, but it still will mess with my head if it smells any different than I expect. I just wanted to bounce these thoughts off the Basenotes forum.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: I can't help but worry over fragrance shipped via truck in the Summer over a week.

That's one of the reasons I always choose the fastest delivery method available.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Missing Oakmoss

Default Re: I can't help but worry over fragrance shipped via truck in the Summer over a week.

You don't know the conditions the fragrance was exposed to prior to shipment on the truck, so there's no point worrying about it. It might have sat on a broiling loading dock for days, or in a ship's hold for weeks. Fast delivery options offer a margin of security, but only in a relative way.

I make more purchases in spring / fall for just this reason. While you don't know how it spent the rest of its life either, I would like to minimize extreme conditions as much as possible. Mid-summer purchases are kept to a minimum.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Fragrances are more stable than most might think. Light is more damaging than bouts of high heat.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Fragrances are more stable than most might think. Light is more damaging than bouts of high heat.
    I am hoping that because it's an Armaf clone fragrance that it's all chemical and thus will be unlikely affected by the temperature changes. I think I'm being paranoid, but if the fragrance ends up disappointing, I will always have that stuck in the back of my head that it was the brutal shipping journey.

Basenotes Plus

Bro, don’t worry. I’m no Armaf expert but I am willing to bet real money they sell in areas that are regularly 33-37 degrees Celsius.
    Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I am hoping that because it's an Armaf clone fragrance that it's all chemical and thus will be unlikely affected by the temperature changes. I think I'm being paranoid, but if the fragrance ends up disappointing, I will always have that stuck in the back of my head that it was the brutal shipping journey.
    Have you tried the fragrance previously? Regardless, it's mostly likely than not the fragrance will be fine despite a long delivery period.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by scenting prey View Post
    Bro, don’t worry. I’m no Armaf expert but I am willing to bet real money they sell in areas that are regularly 33-37 degrees Celsius.
    I'm in Las Vegas. More like 40-47 Celsius and inside of vehicles it can get to 150 Celsius.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    You don't know the conditions the fragrance was exposed to prior to shipment on the truck, so there's no point worrying about it. It might have sat on a broiling loading dock for days, or in a ship's hold for weeks. Fast delivery options offer a margin of security, but only in a relative way.
    My thoughts also. Having a few friends who import stuff from France (wine and liquors), I can definitely confirm that several times I heard their containers were held for up to 2-3 weeks in the arrival harbour...

I'm in Las Vegas. More like 40-47 Celsius and inside of vehicles it can get to 150 Celsius.
    Well.. trucks might not be fridge-like, but it is my reasonable that they are reasonably temperature controlled... anyways, as Bonnette said, I would worry more for the month they spent on a dock than a week in a truck...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Some fragrance components like alpha-pinene are somewhat heat-sensitive up around 100 C (212 F) or higher, but generally need a catalyst, and glass is a pretty poor catalyst.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...ferent_methods

Around those temperatures, physical problems like boiling and leaking are going to manifest.

I think it would be interesting to know if most fragrances are guaranteed some kind of shipping temperatures on boats and trucks. Given that they're flammable, they may actually be given some kind of guarantees on temperature limits.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

I can see your concern, especially being Las Vegas.

But I tend to think these scents are pretty durable. I won't pretend to be an expert, but I think you'll be fine.
    The bummer is, if the performance is slightly less than expected, you will always wonder if the heat killed it. You should probably let that go.
    As others noted, you're only looking at the shipping and who knows where else it's been and for how long.

Let me know how you like that ARMAF. Kind of interested in hearing how much like SMW it is.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Yea, I had the same worry but living in Florida for the past 8 months cured me of it. I used to avoid ordering fragrance in the summer months in NYC, but if I waited for cool weather here I'd have about a 4 week window.

So far it hasn't negatively affected any of my purchases as far as I can tell. I got a package today delivered at 8pm that must have been running around in the truck since 6am and when I opened it the bottle was warm to the touch. Not exactly ideal, but I took a deep breath and assured myself everything is going to be fine. I'm sure these products need to meet pretty high tolerance standards to be shipped/stored/sold all around the world without degrading before they meet the end user.

I do wonder about indie brands, however, if they would be less likely to stand up to the rigors of larger productions.

I like how the Frederic Malle boutiques keep the fragrances in little fridges, although I suspect it is a bit of marketing theater more than anything really necessary.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Basenotes Plus

Whoa,

I just checked the tracking tonight and it says "delivered". I quickly rushed to the community mail center and IT'S HERE! But the USPS Tracking said Monday June 7th and that it was shipping from New York??? I assumed it was on a truck taking the "scenic route" but no doubt it must have found it's way on to a plane and got here in 3 days? I feel very lucky that the original delivery estimate was WAY OFF.

June 4, 2021, 4:10 pm
    Delivered, Parcel Locker
    LAS VEGAS, NV 89103
    Your item was delivered to a parcel locker at 4:10 pm on June 4, 2021 in LAS VEGAS, NV 89103.

June 4, 2021, 6:10 am
    Out for Delivery
    LAS VEGAS, NV 89103

June 4, 2021, 4:32 am
    Arrived at Post Office
    LAS VEGAS, NV 89103

June 4, 2021, 1:50 am
    Arrived at USPS Facility
    LAS VEGAS, NV 89103

June 4, 2021, 1:20 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    LAS VEGAS NV DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 3, 2021, 8:57 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
    LAS VEGAS NV DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 3, 2021, 1:37 am
    Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
    JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 3, 2021, 1:07 am
    Departed USPS Regional Facility
    QUEENS NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 2, 2021, 12:35 pm
    Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
    QUEENS NY DISTRIBUTION CENTER

June 2, 2021, 11:20 am
    Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
    EDISON, NJ 08837

June 1, 2021, 4:33 pm
    Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
    EDISON, NJ 08837

I wouldn’t worry about it fragrances are shipped from other countries to the USA and that takes a bit and weather can be hot from those countries. I always tell myself no purchases during summer months but sometimes go back on my word haha. Warehouses would be more of a concern since they are stored there longer in unknown conditions, glad you got if faster than expected.

i think you are concerning yourself over nothing.

Most fragrances survive heat very well. I've had plenty in my car surviving 50C temperatures.

It's mainly direct sunlight on a clear bottle that can be problematic.
    Regards,
    Renato

Whoa,

I just checked the tracking tonight and it says "delivered". I quickly rushed to the community mail center and IT'S HERE! But the USPS Tracking said Monday June 7th and that it was shipping from New York??? I assumed it was on a truck taking the "scenic route" but no doubt it must have found it's way on to a plane and got here in 3 days? I feel very lucky that the original delivery estimate was WAY OFF.
    Sounds like it made it's way onto a flight if it made it from Queens to Vegas in a day. I'm jealous! (travel restrictions are still pretty tight here in Canada).

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat, especially in such a short period of time. A friend of mine leaves a bottle of Acqua Di Gio in his trunk for whenever he wants to apply it on the go. Granted its the only fragrance he wears, so he probably goes through bottles more quickly than us fragheads, but he's never complained once about it spoiling and I've never noticed anything coming off him that would indicate it went bad.

We also never really know the condition of things before we buy it; for instance it could have spent a few weeks on a hot, humid boat before making it to America and to your store.
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

Most fragrances survive heat very well. I've had plenty in my car surviving 50C temperatures.

Regards,
    Renato
    This!
    White Light, White Heat!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post

Regards,
    Renato
    Seconded, most likely the exposure to heat as well as further only potentially/marginally harmful factors might be minimal to nonexistent, even if considering a prolonged shipping duration