Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Do You Agree That You Are Not a True Fraghead if You Are Not Into Niche?

In a local fragrance FB group in my country, someone made a post saying true fragheads buys niche, those who dont do not know what they are missing/doing, and are mere casual collectors who just want to smell good.

Do you agree with this statement? Of course there was some arguments in that post which lead it to being deleted.

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Do You Agree That You Are Not a True Fraghead if You Are Not Into Niche?

No I don’t agree.

Dior

Guerlain

Hermes

Chanel

Cmon.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Default Re: Do You Agree That You Are Not a True Fraghead if You Are Not Into Niche?

No.

Basenotes Plus

I agree I am not a true fraghead. No qualifiers necessary. But why judge others?
    Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

Basenotes Plus

I agree 100%. No niche? Sheesh.

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron

True fragheads are led by their noses wherever that may take them - designer, niche, artisanal, indie, oil & oud distillers, etc. They don’t give a rat’s ass about this argument either…

I don’t agree at all.

Some people collect, some wear what smells nice, some like the pretty bottles.

Niche or not doesn’t matter at all.
    Currently enjoying

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Pour Monsieur / Boss Number One (current)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir / Bright Neroli / Cool Water (vintage)
    Patrick / Allure Homme / Jazz Club / YSL Pour Homme HC

I don’t agree.

Seems a silly topic to get in an argument over. What's the major indicator to define a fragrance as "Niche"? Price? Exclusivity? Challenging to wear? Who dictates the requirements?
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Given the current status of mainstream perfumery, I'd say to be called fraghead one should also venture into niche a bit, though it doesn't have to be mostly niche. Alternatively, no niche but vintage mainstream. By niche I mean stuff that cannot be found at Macy's or Sephora.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I don't agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I don't agree at all. I'd disregard the term fraghead all together.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Dependent

I agree to a certain extent, but it all depends on how one defines a fraghead.

If one is interested in keeping up on where things are going within the realm of fragrance, then I think one needs to pay attention to niche.

But if a person is simply interested in smelling good, then what the hell.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Don't agree
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

disagree
    Currently wearing: Ore by Slumberhouse

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by edgeowns View Post
    Do you agree with this statement?
    Disagree.

What difference does it make? I buy fragrances for myself and don't hesitate to spray some Jovan Sex Appeal on any status-concerned niche snob. You should buy and wear whatever you like, regardless of labels or "stigma". At least that's what I do. So to answer the question: I don't agree or disagree because I don't care.
    Spray less, love more.

So much elitism and insecurity to care about what others wear, especially if they will never even smell each other in real life.

Sounds like a snobbery to me.
    Which country if you don't mind me asking?
    For me, not at all. I like the ones I bought and could afford. If the money is no object, I would have bought some more Creed as I like this house. I only have Royal Mayfair and Royal Water but the cost is prohibitive for me to acquire more.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

As an exercise in establishing terminology, I like it. It’s not like “fraghead” is a hotly contested term. Apologies, as you were, “true fraghead,” that is.

I completely disagree. This is pure and simply petty gatekeeping.

In reality, I suspect there are gradations and progressions to even being a 'fraghead'

only if you want to make them though

No. Some of the most important houses in the history of perfumery aren't niche houses.
    Currently wearing: French Affair by Ex Nihilo

Basenotes Plus

Nope.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Are you not a true music lover if you don't like jazz?
    Are you not a true metalhead if you only love doom, symphonic, gothic and heavy metal and not so much the other styles?
    Are you not a true gamer if you never played Zelda?
    Are you not a food lover if you don't enjoy <insert a country or region> cuisine?
    Are you not a book lover if you haven't read Ulysses?
    Are you not a fragrance lover if you don't enjoy niche or classics or chypres or ouds or whatever?
    Why should you like *everything*, or only the portion that someone else decided that is the only "good" one?

Some people really love to gatekeep others from things they enjoy, thus creating ridiculous restrictions or checkpoints or requirements that you *should* fit into. Don't listen to them. They gatekeep to make themselves feel more "fitting" the pure image of a true fan of X they created. It's about their own lack of self esteem, not about you.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Sounds like the cute chauvinism of the nouveau niche.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Institution

Don't agree

fragheads are addicted to fragrances. doesnt matter who makes them.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Vehemently disagree.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Edition by Dunhill

Always be smelling

Agreed. Self identifyig Fragheads should only buy niche.

People like me, fragrance lovers, should buy whatever they want.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast