Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Is there a better, fresher fragrance than the original Acqua di Gio?

I was extremely late to the party this one. I was always a big fan of the scent but by the time that I found out what it was, everyone was wearing it. This was around 2005. I finally got a bottle about a year ago but I felt like it was already dated and the magic was gone. Plus, I was still stuck on a retro kick.

Anyway, I've been looking through my collection for summer fragrances and they're just not working for me.
    Artisan Pure is too herbal and creamy for the heat.
    Missoni Pour Homme is better when it's at least a breeze or colder.
    Polo Black is too musky.
    Azzaro PH L'Eau has just enough of the old Azzaro DNA to make it unsuitable for summer.
    Issey Miyake has something fizzy in the dry down that makes it not-quite-fresh-enough.

I put on some Acqua di Gio today and it was like the magic returned. The whole day I smelled good, I felt clean, and I felt hydrated. Is there a more refreshing fragrance out there?

I've tried the Versaces, I've tried Creed's MI, D&G Light Blue, Platinum Egoiste, Kenneth Cole Black, Voyage, Chrome, and probably more, and none of them was as fresh-smelling as ADG.

I don't need anymore fragrances, especially since I got just about all situations and seasons covered. But if there's something even better than this Armani classic, I'd like to find out just to have something else to switch out to in the summer. Mugler Cologne was on my radar but I've heard that it lasts only 30 minutes so I don't really want to spend $40+ for that. Especially if it's not a better scent than ADG.

Default Re: Is there a better, fresher fragrance than the original Acqua di Gio?

How about the original L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Default Re: Is there a better, fresher fragrance than the original Acqua di Gio?

Well, in that case I'd give AdG Profondo at least a try. It's basically a bit stronger original with a little twist.

Basenotes Junkie

Missoni Wave might be worth a try

On test strip it seemed like a fresher Versace pour Homme/Allure Homme Sport. Smelled really nice

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Have you tried Acqua di Gio Essenza? Not the same but I find it quite fresh.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

All Is Beautiful

I enjoy Armani Eau pour Homme more. Just to answer the original question.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh V. View Post
    I was extremely late to the party this one. I was always a big fan of the scent but by the time that I found out what it was, everyone was wearing it. This was around 2005. I finally got a bottle about a year ago but I felt like it was already dated and the magic was gone. Plus, I was still stuck on a retro kick.

Anyway, I've been looking through my collection for summer fragrances and they're just not working for me.
    Polo Black is too musky.
    Azzaro PH L'Eau has just enough of the old Azzaro DNA to make it unsuitable for summer.
    Issey Miyake has something fizzy in the dry down that makes it not-quite-fresh-enough.

I put on some Acqua di Gio today and it was like the magic returned. The whole day I smelled good, I felt clean, and I felt hydrated. Is there a more refreshing fragrance out there?

I've tried the Versaces, I've tried Creed's MI, D&G Light Blue, Platinum Egoiste, Kenneth Cole Black, Voyage, Chrome, and probably more, and none of them was as fresh-smelling as ADG.

I don't need anymore fragrances, especially since I got just about all situations and seasons covered. But if there's something even better than this Armani classic, I'd like to find out just to have something else to switch out to in the summer. Mugler Cologne was on my radar but I've heard that it lasts only 30 minutes so I don't really want to spend $40+ for that. Especially if it's not a better scent than ADG.

Enjoy!
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Frag Bomber 1st Squadron

Try Acqua di Parma Colonia or perhaps Hermes Eau d’Orange Verte. Fresher but short on performance though.

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    An excellent option, especially with the vintage.

TSH for me, but TSH Eau Tres Fraiche opens with a stunning fresh Mandarin orange/tangerine note that would appeal to a lot of people going for an extremely fresh scent
    Current rotation:
    Polo Green(Warner version)
    Calvin(original)
    Dakar(prefer it to current drakkar noir)
    LPDO Vanille Persuasive
    Kenzo Jungle Home
    Mercedes Benz Private
    Terre d'Hermes EDT

Seconding especially ADG Essenza and Armani Eau pour Homme and also adding Allure Homme Sport Extreme
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    +1, me too

I’d recommend Lemon Line by Mancera. I get a sois 5-6 hours and longer on clothing.

I also enjoy Eau du Sud by Goutal as well as Chanel Pour Monsieur; both follow suit in terms wearability and versatility of the Armani Eau PH in warmer weather.

A solid “cheapie” that can be found at Marshall’s, etc is Set Sail St Barts by Tommy Bahama. I bought my bottle for about $20 and it’s a solid, fresh daily driver. It doesn’t last terribly long, but given the price, over applying (which is tough to do because it’s very airy) or reapplying won’t break the bank.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Have you tried Acqua di Gio Essenza? Not the same but I find it quite fresh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Seconding especially ADG Essenza and Armani Eau pour Homme and also adding Allure Homme Sport Extreme
    Essenza! It is weirdly just like the original, yet stronger and more 'pure water impression' at the same time.

Also consider Caron Yuzu Man!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Phantom by Paco Rabanne

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll try to check out as many of these as I can.

The one's I have tried that were suggested:

L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme
    I'm wearing it right now. It's been quite a while. It's a little better than I remember but it has some spice to it that AdG doesn't have. But it feels like seeing an old friend after a long time. I'm probably going to be looking into the Fraiche version again.

Armani Eau Pour Homme
    It's been a while since I sampled this one, but I would consider it old school fresh, in that it wasn't that fresh. IIRC it was like Eau Sauvage cut with Tuscany, with an overall strong lemony vibe. It's a very "classic" smelling scent, moreso than its peers.

Kouros
    I always thought people were trolling when recommending this for summer but yeah, it actually works if you go really light. It can definitely be refreshing in its own way, but once the basenotes start doing the heavy lifting it's more "fluffy" than refreshing. But damn, just seeing this recommended again makes me want to get a bottle. I have to resist the urge though.

I was a big fan of ISSEY. It didn't hurt that a few women gushed over me wearing it. I remember it made a big splash in LA when it first came out.

AdG never really clicked for me.

I've got a bottle ISSEY now, but as with a lot of scents I wore in the past, the thrill is gone for me.

Still think it's a great scent though.

One of the old fairy tales about KOUROS was always that it was better in heat, especially when mingled with a little sweat. Maybe I'll try it out next few days when LA finally gets some summer weather.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.
    Currently wearing: No. 89 by Floris

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Givenchy Blue Label perhaps.

Polo Black is too musky.

Essenza is what you want.
    I'd also try Profondo.

I have felt similar feelings as you described with L'Eau D'Issey, its many flankers change direction well enough so the fizzy is not a bother.

Good ol' Cool Water is anothe worth checking, also with flankers galore.
    Waiting for Hednic's 8th star

Its hard to beat, the golden age of the 90s and erlie 00s ohh i miss you, after one million and late 00s its all mostly just sweet cocktails now made for the club..when it comes to designer houses anyway, still some nice ones out there by all means, but compared to the original ADG, the original polo sport, the original eternity for men, the original dior higher and so many more from that time, was fresh gold that is hard to find anymore.

I do find the best 90s fresh that still feels like the bootle could have been bought new 20 or so years ago is ck one, and tommy hilfiger tommy, those 2 give me the fresh pure shameless 90s bomb with still close to 100% of its DNA, not complex stuff but oh so fun. You might find better, but if we are just talking fresh and retro kick, i dont think it need to be so raffined, and they are so cheap now also so why not.
    Currently wearing: Hugo Reversed by Hugo Boss

Have you tried Afternoon Swim? Smells more modern (and more expensive imho) but definitely has a similar vibe.

Short answer is yes. Who wants to smell like every woman’s ex boyfriend?

Basenotes Plus

No, it is a great great fragrance. The best freshie, but suffers from the fact that it is so good. Like Michael Jordan can't win MVP every year. People get sick of that, but it is so popular because it is so good.
    Maybe you could try CK One again. Give it a try. It is another freshie I love.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar

And that base is brutally harsh. It's a shame since the opening is so nice, but once that fades, the base is rough. I'm so over the whole blatantly synthetic chemical voodoo.

Polo Black is too musky.
    I don't think of Polo Black as a freshie at all, but it is an underrated cheap gem, and while I don't get much projection, it's quite long lasting on my skin. Very long lasting.

AdG really is a work of art. It was a wild success for a reason. I own a tiny 1oz bottle, but I rarely wear it. It reminds me too much of an old friend who passed away a while back. Wearing AdG feels like wearing his jacket, or like I'm going to move into his old apartment, or something... the scent memories are too strong - mostly because he wore AdG every day for years and we saw each other every day because we worked together.

The only knock against AdG in my opinion is that it became too popular. It was everywhere for so long. It's great stuff though.

My pick for the ultimate freshie is Chanel's Eau De Cologne, which I got on ebay for $75 if I recall correctly... but even at a discount, it's out of the price range you're looking for.

If I could find something very similar to the top and heart of Millesime Imperial but with a smoother base, it would be holy grail material for me! MI's base is meh (I'm talking about the scent left behind on skin after the 8 hour mark), but the opening and heart are spectacular and LONG lasting for me.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme perhaps

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Bvlgari Aqva Pour Homme is one I've tried and really like. It's too strong though for what I'm looking for. Now that you mention it though, I really should have that in my collection, as it's really good.

CK One is something I've always stayed away from because I didn't want to wear a unisex fragrance and I thought it was even more played out than ADG. But I've smelled it before and it's VERY clean smelling. That's what I'm looking for so I'll probably sample it or find it for cheap.

The Chanel and Afternoon Swim I'll have to sample.

And yeah, I thought it was just me that was finding the base of JV Artisan Pure a little off. I wore it last week and didn't like how it was smelling at the end of the day.

ADG Profondo is getting sampled this week.

I'm thinking about also trying out the various CK offerings. Euphoria, Truth, Man, etc. Euphoria smells kind of generic but it's not bad at all and has a clean-kinda vibe if memory serves me. I think Truth is the one that is slanted and supposed to be good.

I think the "cologne" like fragrances are more refreshing than ADG.
    Something like Mercedes Benz Cologne, Dior Homme Cologne, Zara Vibrant Leather cologne etc.

But thats a matter of taste.
    Modern batches of ADG (I tried a 2020) unfortunately have abysmal performance, it lasts maybe 2 hours.

Another refreshing option would be Versace Man Eau Fraiche

Try sampling Burberry Weekend For Men, a great albeit underrated freshie. Sparkly citruses on a honeyed musky base.

I consider almost all freshies I own, better than the original AdG.....

Some good ones:

- AdG Profumo
    - Miyake L'Eau d'Issey ph vtg
    - Carven L'eau Intense
    - Kouros
    - Rasasi Fattan
    - Azzaro Chrome
    - Declaration Cologne edt
    Last edited by Slayerized; 16th June 2021 at 01:14 PM.
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

I’m partial to XJ 1861 Renaissance for my pinnacle of fresh standard.

Not even strictly citrusy fresh, but there’s a bit of a dry green and herbal bite to it that lift it above the usual tropes that the “fresh” frags can commonly fall into. It even contains some mint which would normally get a thumbs down from me, but somehow manages to hit the right stride in ways that others have been unable to.

Give it a shot.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Plus one. Issey was iconic. Every cool kid had one. It is one of the best of the genre. Slightly synthetic. Still, no other designer fragrance was better than Issey. CK One's cooler older brother.

Since you're open to Creed, try Erolfa. It is the only one I feel beats ADG.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I’m partial to XJ 1861 Renaissance for my pinnacle of fresh standard.
    Love the mojito style opening but unfortunately it goes into a powdery/flowery direction wich I dont like. First 20 mins are great.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    This

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast