Code of Conduct

Default 2021 Chanel Antaeus

Has anyone purchased recent formulations of Chanel Antaeus and how do they compare with earlier vintage ones?

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2021 Chanel Antaeus

Quote Originally Posted by Vinrambo09 View Post
    Has anyone purchased recent formulations of Chanel Antaeus and how do they compare with earlier vintage ones?
    I have a 2020 (not a 2021) and it's pretty good!
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Haven't smelled 2021 but have smelled the formulation in the last few years. The more recent formulations lack the animalistic and mossy qualities that are notable in the original formulation from the 1980s. It's more modernized and to fit with current regulations.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I also own a 2020 one and it's good but not like vintage at all.....this is more a woody aromatic with hints of leather and maybe the slightest touch of sytnthetic castoreum and performance is average on my skin with mild projection while the vintage (80's till early 90's) was a bomb full with castoreum and especially tons of 'mossy' beeswax in the drydown which is not there anymore at all; at least I don't smell it. Current is still ok but stripped in many ways.
    My Top '12':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco/Aoud Vanille
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - Initio: Side Effect
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - Vermeil: Pour Homme

I have a bottle from 2019. It is quite good.

I was able to score a sample of vintage last December and it is indeed very good. A bit richer and deeper I'd say. Longevity seemed better.
    But I don't like it so much more that I want to pony up big bucks for vintage.

I think they have managed to keep the basic scent quite good. A nice, rich masculine that stands out a bit from modern scents, but doesn't feel very dated and old guyish.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post

I was able to score a sample of vintage last December and it is indeed very good. A bit richer and deeper I'd say. Longevity seemed better.

I think they have managed to keep the basic scent quite good. A nice, rich masculine that stands out a bit from modern scents, but doesn't feel very dated and old guyish.
    Great to hear that some if its qualities were kept up in the current version, admitting to not have had the opportunity to test the 2020-2021 yet

I have a 2019 too. I've never smelled the vintage but this version feels very civilized and pretty (dare I say boring), so much so that it would most certainly benefit from some animalic bite and a mossy base.

I have a bunch of mossy vintages so I'm sort of toying with the idea of trying to layer the current Antaeus with something to give it a push that I feel it sorely needs. Again, I have NOT smelled the vintage. Maybe it was supposed to be this civilized and pretty.
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Great to hear that some if its qualities were kept up in the current version, admitting to not have had the opportunity to test the 2020-2021 yet
    I tend to wonder at times how much we may romanticize vintage scents. I don't have the greatest nose here either.

But the current version is still very much the ANTAEUS scent. Perhaps slightly tamed for modern standards.

The vintage version was to me very smooooooth and lingered more seductively if that makes sense. The castoreum had a bit more bite too.

I thought I had never smelled Antaeus until I blind bought it a few years ago. I was wrong...I recognized and remember this scent just from memory of disco/clubs back then. So thick in the air, along with Kourous (including me), others of that era and the heavy feminine frags. And cigarette smoke everywhere (hard to imagine these days).

Sorry, I digress...I like the current a lot and am glad to own it. While I wouldn't mind a sniff or wear of vintage, I have no desire to seek it.

There's a thread where Bavard sent out samples from all the decades. Conclusions were that fears of reformulation are overblown it never was the huge animalic it's claimed to be.

The beeswax was what made it back in 1985.
    Currently wearing: Aventus Cologne by Creed

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I tend to wonder at times how much we may romanticize vintage scents.
    Well, the answer is: A LOT

But, you have to think about how many baby boomer and Generation X guys had their first dates (or lost their virginity), their first successful job interviews (or promotions), their first truly memorable (or at least the proudest) moments of life in their prime, while wearing scents like this one.

It's super easy to see everything now as a S.O.I.F. (the dreaded "shadow of it's former self" syndrome) when these same people are themselves no longer in the same stage of life, while these fragrances in their original form give them a window back to when "a man's cologne" was just that. Nostalgia is a powerful drug.

Objectively, there are differences, and how noticeable they are will vary person to person, sample to sample, especially when taking age and potential maceration of deeper vintages into account. It's safe to say those older bottles are sometimes not what they used to be, either. We sometimes forget these bottles are not static either.

I think with Antaeus, we are pretty fortunate that Chanel pumps the R&D cash into preservation. Look at things from the same period like Quorum, and how much more they've changed in roughly the same time, so the reformulations are a net win with Antaeus even if the beast is shorn and collared now compared to what it once was.

Differences are generally overblown as suggested, but if you're someone who's particularly sensitive to change, histrionics may be justified. Especially true if this was your 20's and 30's "stag fragrance", in which case weaking it may be akin to a vasectomy.

I do agree there has been a general decline in ingredients quality among designers, but it's not a natural vs synthetic argument, just a R&D budget argument. Designers pay less and sell for higher, leaning on consumer data harder and binding the perfumer's hands creatively..

For me, even deep vintage Antaeus has never packed the most "heat" among powerhouses of the time, because that isn't Chanel's vibe. I think Kouros, One Man Show, Bijan, or even Yatagan from a few years back have it beat in that department. Today, nobody wants stuff like that, for a number of reasons I won't digress into.

It's all personal perspective though, so my truth isn't going to be someone else's truth.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Nice thougthful answer Varanis...I agree with much of it.

For me personally, I distrust my scent memory when it comes to older scents I've worn. I remember going bonkers over ROMEO GIGLI in mid 90s. I think I bought a second bottle right away which was odd for me at the time. Vintage bottles are available for not crazy money, but I have avoided it. While I don't think it is any different than when I first bought it, I don't think it could ever smell as good as I thought it did back in that moment in time.
    I love EGOISTE, but it will never smell as good to me as that first spritz from the bottle I bought the first day it was released at Macys, and I don't think that is primarily due to reformulations.

As you said, maybe some people's noses are so highly tuned to detect the most subtle of changes. If they've been buying something like ANTAEUS year after year, changes might be fairly noticeable. Fortunately, I have only known ANTAEUS since 2010 or so, so current version is quite good to me. (Though a vintage bottle is one of those bucket list things if my financial fortunes ever change for the better).

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    The beeswax was what made it back in 1985.
    Exactly......really don't understand almost noone mentions this as it is the biggest difference imo. Current has no beeswax at all while vintage (first 2 versions) had tons.
    My Top '12':

- Antaeus (vtg)

So the vintage is warmer/denser/smoother but not bolder or more animalic-oomphy? I can understand the base must necessarily be thinner now. I can occasionally sense a fleeting herbal bite that is very nice - but it comes and goes, I wish there was more of it.
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    So the vintage is warmer/denser/smoother but not bolder or more animalic-oomphy? I can understand the base must necessarily be thinner now. I can occasionally sense a fleeting herbal bite that is very nice - but it comes and goes, I wish there was more of it.
    To me, correct. I got a fairly old vintage sample from another Basenoter. I would def say smoother/warmer/denser indeed. But the castoreum aspect was not off the charts, and it wan't some kind of animalic monster.

To me, correct. I got a fairly old vintage sample from another Basenoter. I would def say smoother/warmer/denser indeed. But the castoreum aspect was not off the charts, and it wan't some kind of animalic monster.
    Strangely enough I never saw the vintage as something animalic. My nose registers it as something clean like fresh clothing that was just washed.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Hopefully it is like the 2018-2019 bottles and no changes were made such a excellent fragrance. I had a 2020 bottle of Pour Monsieur EDP and wasn’t impressed with it the depth and excellent dry down seemed to be thinned out quite a bit.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    Yes the vintage is more 'animalic' for sure as far as one wants to call Antaeus animalic like N. Cal just said already but the current has hardly if not any castorerum which I get clearly from the vintage. I also do not consider it animalic but the vintage with its castoreum makes it way more masculine with a slight! dirty touch to me without getting 'animalic'.
    My Top '12':

- Antaeus (vtg)