Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Latest Paco Rabanne - Phantom!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    This would be some fun programming.
    My review for the fragrance reads pretty much like this, but with a bit of dread.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Not every discussion requires a winner and loser. There isn't always a right and wrong. Conversation is not a battlefield.
    Currently wearing: Tnr by Paco Rabanne

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    My review for the fragrance reads pretty much like this, but with a bit of dread.
    I loved that review and LOLed at the opening!

https://www.basenotes.net/ID26163593.html

I look forward to sniffing this, and will say more then!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I loved that review and LOLed at the opening!

https://www.basenotes.net/ID26163593.html

I look forward to sniffing this, and will say more then!
    This is the signature scent of Data from Star Trek TNG pre-emotion chip.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Not every discussion requires a winner and loser. There isn't always a right and wrong. Conversation is not a battlefield.

Basenotes Junkie

https://www.pacorabanne.com/medias/s...2441154590.gif

I feel like sooner or later the bottle of fragrances we purchase might actually be able to dance like this

All Is Beautiful

Great review. Just read it and really enjoyed it.

Harlan Ellison wrote a great short story I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Curiosity will power sales up and then, the industry will be compelled to produce more and more IA fragrances...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    This is real good stuff.

Lemon & Vanilla are most prominent notes for me, it's a sharp freshness and airy/ozonic sweet. Actually leans fresh IMO. Texture/nose feel wise they really nailed this one, it's very new and unique. Phantom makes total sense for the name of the juice

I couldn't keep a smile off my face while smelling this, so so good. Will be huge IMO
    I got to sniff and wear it. Good stuff. Wife likes it and adores the robot bottle. I may play stingy just to see if I can get her to offer to buy it.

Yes - weirdly enjoyable jumbled opening turns into competent, enjoyable, and themed frag, just like the old days. No reptilian, silicate or Dalek intelligence to me - just a well-done human-intelligent assemblage of human-enjoyable "microtropes". Smells to my experience like a mix of Polo Red or Polo Red Rush with Valentino Uomo Born in Roma Yellow Dream.

Honestly, I'm not seeing anything superhuman or non-human, just fewer rough edges and loose ends than the average designer. It has polish that many cheaper productions lack. Is that the AI? Likely. "Polish" has to be boring work. First place I'd use an AI. Jiggle ideas to shake them out. But it's not "SuperFrag"!

Your description of the notes is spot on. Wife and I also smiled - the "good jumble" is funny.

If that funny opening is neural network comms, bring it on. Twiki is a bro, Dr. Theopolis is a good guy, and this smells like they made something for Buck Rogers to get close to that hot brunette!

Twiki03.jpg

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

PS - My wife says unisex!

Im not old, Im vintage.

AI starts with human input, and these AI frags ended with human tweaking of the output. This seems like (at least potentially) a good use of AI: to break perfumers out of a rut by presenting them with some novel combinations and/or proportions, but without taking their ultimate control away. I don't know what the range of input parameters and variables are for this AI, but such a program could produce either interesting or boring scents, ace human perfumer on the assist notwithstanding. I suspect we'll get a bit of both, with the "weird" stuff coming out of niche houses and the mostly predictable mash-ups of last year's hits launched from the designer sphere.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I am getting absolutely no scratchy wood in the base. On paper the fresh sweet main accord is going like gangbusters, but my skin which degrades things fast down to the base is not ruining this one. Sweet and fresh is gone, leaving a clean woody vanilla.

This would be another great use for AI - projecting bases across a spectrum of degradation conditions.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    ... I suspect we'll get a bit of both, with the "weird" stuff coming out of niche houses and the mostly predictable mash-ups of last year's hits launched from the designer sphere.
    Yup. This sounds right to me. And when weird catches fire in Nicheville, the dials will get tweaked in Designer City to follow along, if the $$$ outputs look reasonable.

The problem of niche AIs will be interesting, because open source not only offers (IMO) one of the most attractive solution for small independent perfumers - it serves as a balance to whatever opposing drivers manifest in corporate perfumery. But with all the use of FOSS in industry, it's possible that the same basis tech ends up in both worlds.

Lots of amazing possibilities if the field is not locked behind corporate walls.

Im not old, Im vintage.

The problem of niche AIs will be interesting, because open source not only offers (IMO) one of the most attractive solution for small independent perfumers - it serves as a balance to whatever opposing drivers manifest in corporate perfumery. But with all the use of FOSS in industry, it's possible that the same basis tech ends up in both worlds.
    Sure. But, so long as the tech allows perfumers to set a wide range of parameters, outputs will still be diverse and, perhaps paradoxically, highly individual—even before post-AI tweaking by the nose in charge.

Of course, if you just have the AI handle everything based on presets, the result will be olfactory tedium. But that’s not even a designer mentality so much as a clone house approach.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

This gives a bit of sideways insight into the application of AI:

https://i-d.vice.com/en_uk/article/d...nne-technology

It looks like they didn't use AI so much for olfacto-aesthetics (such a "niche" artistic concern, LOL), as for olfacto-neuropsychology of components (certainly has some applications).

Here is the effective substance.

https://pellwall.com/shop/ingredient...allyl-acetate/

Starting to get a bit more "VR" in my perspective on this now.

Im not old, Im vintage.

Sounds like they went for the ultimate club scent. What a shock.

Got a flyer from Ulta today and it was prominently featured. Looking forward to trying.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Sounds like they went for the ultimate club scent. What a shock.
    Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
    Just keep going. No feeling is final.

--Rainer Maria Rilke

Im not old, Im vintage.

Spectacular, Cook. And clearly not something they could have done wearing Aventus.

Such a crazy bottle.
    Are you sure that this aiming to appeal to so called collectors excrement, undeserving of the idea of a humble perfume house, is even crazier than continuing to publish disingenuous or at least misleading ratings?

AI-produced scents can’t be much worse than fragrances designed by accountants and marketing firms, then vetted by focus groups — I.e., most of the stuff you find in department stores these days.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xaml View Post
    Are you sure that this aiming to appeal to so called collectors excrement, undeserving of the idea of a humble perfume house, is even crazier than continuing to publish disingenuous or at least misleading ratings?
    You'll not bait me that easily. If you don't like me or my opinions, stick me on your ignore list like many others do instead of mincing words and instigating fights; or did you forget the rules literally posted above the text box every time you go to comment?

- The bottle is crazy.
    - The fragrance is crazy.
    - It contains a lot of hair-brain gimmickry.
    - It bodes ill of things to come in the market.

Yet I still like it. I like weird. So sue me.

My ratings and opinions are given freely, in my spare time no less, and come with no warranty or satisfaction guarantee. I publish them as-is and occasionally change my mind about things, like literally everyone else.

There is constructive criticism and questions about my methods of review that I would have happily answered. This ain't it chief.
    Last edited by Varanis Ridari; 12th August 2021 at 07:00 AM.

I think it smells fantastic. The bottle alone is daring and a little avant- garde and this is what we expect from Paco Rabanne. If anything Puig has got us talking and has made a statement. This is not niche quality nor is it trying to be . What it is fun, definitely wearable and a visually captivating. Enjoy it for what it is.

Basenotes Plus

Saw this yesterday. The bottle is even uglier in person. Seems like its skinnier or something, I don't know. I braced myself and sprayed a strip. Bubblegum fruity sweetness. Huh. Just your run of the mill sweet generic bubblegum. The volume seemed appropriate, nothing glaring. Just generic. They gave me a sample, so I suppose it will get some skin time at some point, but eh. I have no vitriol for the fragrance itself, beyond that it feels heartlessly built for a teenager. The bottle is dumb, but that is their thing. Like Moschino, or Urkel from Family Matters, their thing is to look silly.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

Are there different sizes? How does the robot look in a 1.7 oz versus, say, the 4 oz? I would think the shorter version would look ridiculous.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Basenotes Junkie

Tried this like 4 more times and it seems to have 2 different smells to me

In cooler weather it doesn't seem as sharp, more like a cucumber apple vanilla scent. Something along the lines of Eros or something..

Whenever it's been hot, it hits really well from the start. Like sharp Green Apple with a lot of Sugar. Almost smells like Dollar Bills/Money soaked in Sugar. Similar to Coach Platinum in a sense, but greener, more sugary

I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle, but when it hits it hits well. I still consider this pretty unique

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

Just purchased the 100ml of this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Member

So lots of lavender. it is listed as a base, mid and top note on fragrantica. i wonder (as a beginner) what this suggests? and good smoke note for mid? what might they mean by that? i dont know of any smoke notes yet. real beginner. i guess i have birch tar, which smells to me like liquid smoke but idk. what might fragrantica be referring to as earthy notes? some terrasol which smells like wet dirt along with some green notes? sounds interesting.

those three notes below you mention (lav, lem, van.) remind me of a lav lemon meringue pie.

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    Lavender, Lemon, Vanilla
    Sounds great to me

This seems like the first non-flanker from a major designer in a long time

Bottle is kinda cool I guess, I mean its different

Basenotes Member

So lots of lavender. it is listed as a base, mid and top note on fragrantica. i wonder (as a beginner) what this suggests? and good smoke note for mid? what might they mean by that? i dont know of any smoke notes yet. real beginner. i guess i have birch tar, which smells to me like liquid smoke but idk. what might fragrantica be referring to as earthy notes? some terrasol which smells like wet dirt along with some green notes? sounds interesting.

those three notes below you mention (lav, lem, van.) remind me of a lav lemon meringue pie.

QUOTE=d r e;5194750]Lavender, Lemon, Vanilla
    Sounds great to me

This seems like the first non-flanker from a major designer in a long time

Bottle is kinda cool I guess, I mean its different[/QUOTE]

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Sabin View Post

The Lavender doesn't stick out to me, but they said they used 3 different forms of Lavender, so that could explain why Fragrantica had it throughout the note pyramid like that

There's a smokiness/dirtiness in there for sure, but seems like a mild aspect.

Lemon Maringue Pie would be a decent idea of the scent IMO, maybe it being slightly overcooked (the smoky/dirty) but not burnt, and a bit greener, like maybe there's some lime in there or something too.. key lime pie might also be a good idea

Basenotes Plus

Tried on skin today. Definitely different than paper.
    1 Million and Stronger With You had a baby, it was raised by Code Profumo, just got an herbal haircut and took a shower.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

I think this is a fantastic release. It’s no better than most of the fragrances we celebrate here. Sauvage for instance… people sings it’s praises and to be honest I’ve smelled better Bath and Body Works scents than that Dior. Halloween Man X.. another stellar superb frag that give some Chanel’s and niche a run for its money. Phantom is a fresh vanillin scent that is perfect winter and fall. And that bottle alone is worth the purchase. We celebrated Gaultier for his torso bottles almost thirty years later and yes it was avant garde. Paco Rabanne has historically been just as envelop pushing with his runway fashions and this bottle is in perfect alignment with his ethos. Spray and enjoy and move on

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast