Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member

Default Your favorite "wet" or aquatic frangrance

Hi all! I keep searching for that perfect watery scent. There is something in almost all aquatic scents I've tried that I don't like - not sure what it is - ozone? But most of these scents (especially the mass market ones) have way too much of it. I really like most of the Zoologist scents and was hoping that Squid would be The One, but turned out that I didn't like it at all. So far, I'm liking Olympic Orchids Kingston Ferry, and I have a really old BPAL one called Selkie that I also like. I'm still on the hunt. What is YOUR favorite watery scent - especially one that is perfect on a wet day?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Your favorite "wet" or aquatic frangrance

One I enjoy very much is Sel Marin by Heeley
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Aqua celestia by MFK

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    One I enjoy very much is Sel Marin by Heeley
    That I enjoy as well.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Cyprès-Musc by Creed

Basenotes Plus

While I admire the architecture of Heeley Sel Marin I am not fond of wearing it.

More to my taste is Ocean Rain by Mario Valentino. More Ozonic than wet though.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

Quote Originally Posted by 12catcrazy View Post
    So far, I'm liking Olympic Orchids Kingston Ferry,

I also tend not to like aquatics much with a few exceptions or semi-aquatics. The "most" aquatic scent I can wear is Bulgari Atlantique, but I understand when some find it too "synthetic".... but it is very strong oceanic. Bulgari Aqua is somehow different than most to me and one I really like (and wore today to be outside in 95 heat).

One more semi-aquatic, I didn't think of it that way but many say it is, Ferragamo Subtil.

The last one.... Kingston Ferry. I like it also. But I don't really think of it as an aquatic. Water related yes, aquatic no.... Maybe I am also fixated on whatever it is I don't like (the sour wood drydown??) in aquatics and classifying them by what I don't like.....

Basenotes Junkie

Curaçao Bay by Jacques Fath

TRNP - Mozas del Agua

Nishane Boszporusz for a seaside smell.
    Spray less, love more.

it seems to me that if you could narrow down what you're looking in aquatic scents for it might help:

1) marine scents
    2) marine cents when the tide is out
    3) wet pavement
    4) wet soil
    5) wet plants
    6) freshwater lakes or streams

more?
    Currently wearing: Areté by Redwood Alchemy

Among others, in otherwise no particular order: Baldessarini del Mar, Hugh Parsons Blue, Aqua di Roma Uomo
    Currently wearing: Horizon by Guy Laroche

Basenotes Member

"One more semi-aquatic, I didn't think of it that way but many say it is, Ferragamo Subtil.

The last one.... Kingston Ferry. I like it also. But I don't really think of it as an aquatic. Water related yes, aquatic no.... Maybe I am also fixated on whatever it is I don't like (the sour wood drydown??) in aquatics and classifying them by what I don't like.....[/QUOTE]

What do you classify as "aquatic" as opposed to water related? I wish that I knew exactly what that note is called that I dislike so much in most fragrances listed as being "aquatic". It is something that almost stings my nose and my dislike of it is intense. Part of what I like about Kingston Ferry is that it has the barest hint of that smell - just a touch to make one think of "ocean" but not something that smells fake and biting.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by scents or View Post
    it seems to me that if you could narrow down what you're looking in aquatic scents for it might help:

1) marine scents
    2) marine cents when the tide is out
    3) wet pavement
    4) wet soil
    5) wet plants
    6) freshwater lakes or streams

more?
    Marine Scents when the tide is out... yikes! To me, that translates into "dead fish" and seaweed everywhere. No thanks! But to me "aquatic" is meaning more oceanic - salt water as opposed to fresh. Personally, I love smelling wet soil/wet plants type of scents - that kind of humidity that you get in the woods. But I don't consider that "aquatic", though I like those green, damp, scents on wet days also. Wet pavement? Now that's a concept - anybody make that kind of scent?

Basenotes Plus

DSH - La Plage Sea, and another vote for Heeley - Sel Marin.

wet pavement: 1) 11th May 2014, 10:15 PM Riley : Narciso Rodriguez For Him. Smells like rain hitting wet pavement

2) 16th May 2011, 06:06 AM My_pep_pep : (Demeter's) Firefly lasts a really long time and is pretty strong. It reminds me of rain on hot pavement

3) Chandler Burr on 'Bigarade' :
    "......and also it seems to have just rained because there's the scent of rainwater on pavement and perhaps a bit of ozone, plus some flower petals and grass that got washed into the puddle they're stepping in....."

4) City Rain by Neil Morris Fragrances (2009)

5)25th September 2017, 08:41 AM crashtestbrummie : CK2 is meant to have a wet concrete and cobblestone accord

6) "Thunderstorm" by Demeter

some examples.....i only know the last one
    Currently wearing: Areté by Redwood Alchemy

Basenotes Institution

Nautica Voyage

Funky fresh

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    More to my taste is Ocean Rain by Mario Valentino. More Ozonic than wet though.
    I was thinking of this one as well...though it actually quite "wet" to my nose, as in wet flowers and foliage.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Plus

I just looked up "best selling fragrances in the world" and one of the things that showed up on a top 20 list (for best selling feminine perfumes) was actually Jo Malone London's "Wood Sage and Sea Salt!" (The list was compiled in September 2020, so it's pretty recent.)
    I guess that could be categorized as both a wood and/or aquatic/wet fragrance? (Which seems kind of hilarious XD) Sorry..my sense of humor is puerile! XD
    I thought that was interesting though. I had no idea that was their best selling perfume!

Quote Originally Posted by 12catcrazy View Post
    "One more semi-aquatic, I didn't think of it that way but many say it is, Ferragamo Subtil.

The last one.... Kingston Ferry. I like it also. But I don't really think of it as an aquatic. Water related yes, aquatic no.... Maybe I am also fixated on whatever it is I don't like (the sour wood drydown??) in aquatics and classifying them by what I don't like.....
    What do you classify as "aquatic" as opposed to water related? I wish that I knew exactly what that note is called that I dislike so much in most fragrances listed as being "aquatic". It is something that almost stings my nose and my dislike of it is intense. Part of what I like about Kingston Ferry is that it has the barest hint of that smell - just a touch to make one think of "ocean" but not something that smells fake and biting.[/QUOTE]

I guess the main thing is the brine/salt note being more present so it's aquatic where some scents you get a sense of water but perhaps with wood or greenery mixed in and seems water related. It really sounds like we have the same issue with aquatics, I find a huge majority of the time I don't like them. Something like Subtil, it seems a mostly classic composition with some light spices mixed in, was not thinking aquatic at all with it - but then many reviews say it is an aquatic. After reading that I kind of get there is a note they would say that, but it seems like not really in the foreground to me. Same with Kingston Ferry, I wouldn't call it aquatic but likely many will.

I have not found anything as far as note pyramid to help in screening here, I just avoid buying anything labeled aquatic till have sampled it. It's kind of the same with the "freshie" term, I find most scents called that to be the modern ones that just smell like one note chemical to me and don't like them, but then something else I own someone will say is a freshie.....???

I would suggest sampling the two Bulgari's, and maybe even add in Aqua Marine too, to see if those work for you or not. Otherwise people that own a lot more aquatics than me should have some suggestions.....