Code of Conduct

Default Basenotes Trend Watch

This is meant to be a bit of fun, but I notice sometimes many many threads on a similar topic pop up in a short period of time. There's been a recent wave of interest in acquatics and the predictable but timely call for summer heat beaters.

I also notice certain fragrances moving like wildfire through the fields of Basenotes. A couple months ago you could hardly turn a corner without running into someone wearing Fahrenheit. That seems to have died down as weather heats up.

What are some basenotes trends you see bubbling up? Or speculation on why this happens.

Why are acquatics having a moment right now??
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Basenotes Trend Watch

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Probably just the reason you described - it's heating up and many people find aquatics refreshing.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The do-it-yourself forum has had less arguing recently.

The female fragrance discussion continues to be quiet.

On the vintage forum, people talk about fragrances being unobtainable even when they're available for less than typical retail pricing.

There's been discussion about the directory not being updated, and discussion about reviews not being posted, although for $30, people can post reviews automatically.

Polo and Fahrenheit are still hot.

There are lots of "scent-of-the-day" threads going, which seem to scratch the itch for the most dedicated posters.

There's a lot of posting about music.

Basenotes Plus

Well, where I am the humidity and heat combined means I sweat a LOT when I even just walk outside. I cannot help it. I even broke out the Zero Sweat heavy deodorant arsenal already. Wearing a heavier perfume mixed with sweat and some light B.O. means silage is amplified and not in a good way, so I have a tendency to break out the aquatics as they 'play nice' with my skin chemistry when I'm overheated as it is. This just means for about 3 months I take a break from my favorites or reserve them for nighttime.

I'm also going through some new samples, so I'll have a mixed bag of reviews coming up.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944
    Currently wearing: psy_cou by Nomenclature

Basenotes Junkie

Just heat. I'm moving from leathers to colognes right now. Just a better experience in higher temps.
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Perhaps warmer weather in many parts of the world
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Because it's summer where many of us live.

Personally, I rarely have the desire to wear an aquatic during the dead of winter.

Haha, I like how it reads like a real weather report.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    The do-it-yourself forum has had less arguing recently.

The female fragrance discussion continues to be quiet.

On the vintage forum, people talk about fragrances being unobtainable even when they're available for less than typical retail pricing.

There's been discussion about the directory not being updated, and discussion about reviews not being posted, although for $30, people can post reviews automatically.

Polo and Fahrenheit are still hot.

There are lots of "scent-of-the-day" threads going, which seem to scratch the itch for the most dedicated posters.

There's a lot of posting about music.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Yea I get that, it just seemed like in the past acquatics were the untouchables. Hardly anyone would admit to liking them, much less ask for a list of recommendation. Maybe the trauma of 90s/2000s calone stuffed freshies has subsided.

Maybe people are tired of the more generic summer "freshie" or citrus options so acquatics are having a moment again. I'm not mad about it, I don't mind a well done acquatic.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Probably just the reason you described - it's heating up and many people find aquatics refreshing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    Well, where I am the humidity and heat combined means I sweat a LOT when I even just walk outside. I cannot help it. I even broke out the Zero Sweat heavy deodorant arsenal already. Wearing a heavier perfume mixed with sweat and some light B.O. means silage is amplified and not in a good way, so I have a tendency to break out the aquatics as they 'play nice' with my skin chemistry when I'm overheated as it is. This just means for about 3 months I take a break from my favorites or reserve them for nighttime.

I'm also going through some new samples, so I'll have a mixed bag of reviews coming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    Because it's summer where many of us live.

Personally, I rarely have the desire to wear an aquatic during the dead of winter.
    -John Cage

Maybe the trauma of 90s/2000s calone stuffed freshies has subsided.
    Yeah, now it's ambroxan/norlimbanol bombs that are the target of scorn.

[...]
    You nailed it with this post, Bavard!

Maybe the trauma of 90s/2000s calone stuffed freshies has subsided.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Agreed. In the early 2000s it was the craze of the ouds, but that too has calmed down somewhat recently.
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    And god knows those are NOT what you want in the heavy humidity and heat. (Or ever, for some of us.)

For me it's not aquatics that appeal in the summer, but the citrusy and green eaux. Not only are they refreshing, but their short life spans are a plus in the heat of my Southern clime, since decayed perfume plus sweat/body odor can be most upleasant, as Kitty noted.

Basenotes Institution

The Oud era was crazy.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    The Oud era was crazy.
    Is it over ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    This
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

On the vintage forum, people talk about fragrances being unobtainable even when they're available for less than typical retail pricing
    At least part of that may stem from where you are located. For example, a bunch of sealed 90's Fahrenheits popping up at a reasonable price on eBay doesn't really help me, when the seller doesn't ship outside the US. What's available to me are unboxed and expensive Fahrenheits from Russia, the authenticity of which I'm very suspicious of.

Another thing about eBay is that search can give you different results depending on which site you search on (ebay.com, ebay.co.uk, ebay.de). Had I not used advanced search with some specific parameters, I would have missed at least a couple of rarities (Polo Green Place Vendome is the first that comes to mind).
    Spray less, love more.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    At least part of that may stem from where you are located.
    That could make something actually unobtainable, and it's confusing that a "world-wide-web" link doesn't actually work world wide. Another thing that makes it confusing is that bottles come and go, so while a bottle listed with a high price can stick around and get noticed, other bottles are being sold for around typical retail pricing. Maybe I've been played once or twice, but I have taken the bait when people say something is unobtainable and I can have it shipped for $70. But those bottles have been good ones, to be fair, so it has worked out.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Is it over ?!?
    Good point. Lol

That could make something actually unobtainable, and it's confusing that a "world-wide-web" link doesn't actually work world wide. Another thing that makes it confusing is that bottles come and go, so while a bottle listed with a high price can stick around and get noticed, other bottles are being sold for around typical retail pricing. Maybe I've been played once or twice, but I have taken the bait when people say something is unobtainable and I can have it shipped for $70. But those bottles have been good ones, to be fair, so it has worked out.
    Often when searching on eBay, the site automatically narrows down search results by gategory without asking. For example, type in a fragrance name and eBay may only show you results from the fragrances/perfumes category. This behavior is not immediately apparent because the categories column is on the far left, while the user is most likely focusing on the items list. Of course, vintages can just as well be listed under the collectibles category. This was pretty confusing before I realized that eBay indeed sometimes pre-filters search results without asking me.

It was a weird experience with the Polo Green. Sometimes I found it, sometimes not and I still can't say why that was. I couldn't find it on eBay.com, even when specifying to search worldwide (the seller was in Germany). eBay.com, eBay.co.uk, eBay.de, eBay.it... I cross check them all when looking for something.
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Is it over ?!?
    I think the oud era has filtered into the mainstream to a point where it is there but not such a novelty any more.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Yea, I was going to say the oud craze seems to have calmed down on these boards which means it's only a matter of time before it trickles down into mainstream releases. Or maybe not, oud (even synthetic) might be too love or hate to really make a wave in the mainstream.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    I think the oud era has filtered into the mainstream to a point where it is there but not such a novelty any more.
    -John Cage

I have been scratching my head over this one for about as long as I have been engaged in this hobby..

Tending to believe that certain BN classics/favorites as well as ouds might still remain trendy-almost irrespective of any fads.
    Also tending to agree that both warm summer temperatures and a certain overlap with ongoing fads might explain the (revived?, recurrent?) popularity of aquatics

Yea, no doubt oud as a genre is here to stay, and even more so I think oud as an accord rather than the actual material is a relatively recent addition to the perfumer's palette that will continue to be utilized. But I do think the peak oud obsession has passed, at least for now because the general attitude among connoisseurs has shifted from "oooh another oud I must try!" to "ugh not another oud".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Tending to believe that certain BN classics/favorites as well as ouds might still remain trendy-almost irrespective of any fads.
    Also tending to agree that both warm summer temperatures and a certain overlap with ongoing fads might explain the (revived?, recurrent?) popularity of aquatics
    -John Cage