Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Do you wear any 'weird' scents regularly? Got any favorites?

I think weird (I did understand as OP meant, as something out of the ordinary/unusual) is very much dependent on how experienced ones nose is. If we have sample many fragrance, we will have encountered interesting combos that were at the beginning out of the ordinary. For instance, at the very beginning, I would have said that musc ravageur, french lover or carnal flower were out of the ordinary. Today, not so much (still love them).

But one that I still feel weird fragrance I've put on my skin more than 1 times (but still only from sample) would be Black Afgano with its cannabis note. I do not own any weird FB though (but do not exclude it .

I wear Yacht Man Red with surprising frequency. The only thing really weird about it is that it's a $5 fragrance that I rate up there with favorite fragrances I have costing up to 60x as much.

Bois Farine and Cacharel I would put on that list due mostly to what happens on application as opposed to drydown, the former because it smells like the day before Easter in the kitchen when Mom made the Easter Bread, and the latter because of a nutmeg note that kicks like a mule. I guess Fred Hayman Hollywood belongs in that group too for it's buttered popcorn note.

Having a quite high tolerance for weird scents, one particular scent where the "weirdness threshold" may have been reach is Kouros.
    Other than that, no problem to wear beast mode, animalic, smoky, powerhouse, boozy and/or weirdly spicy, floral, resinous etc. choices.

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

The scents I wear think I'm weird, but that's about it.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Common Lackey

I don't know if you could say I "wear" it, at least not regularly, but I'm now on my third decant (and starting to think I should just buy a FB) of Grimoire by Anatole LeBreton. It's definitely weird, smells like very old books and the damp stone walls of a basement in a ruined castle. But somehow it's very compelling.

Creed Vintage Tabarome
    Kouros Cologne Sport Eau d'Éte

Some Discontinued Ouds and Attars ( Oriscent, Ensard Oud Leyends )

I really like Kouros over Dzing, Musc Koublai Kan or Musc Ravageur, but it is already a smell that
    It is not very socially accepted and can be invasive in certain closed indoor places.
    Bois du Portugal, Floris Elite, Armani Eau Pour Homme,
    Vintage Tabarome, Fougere Royale, Sartorial, Heritage, 1740,

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scents or View Post
    i have one fragrance that over 50 degrees F smells like an empty goat pen in the hot sun
    That's a hilarious description! ...but you didn't name the scent, and now I'm curious.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

A weird one, but one I like, is Guerrilla 1 by Comme des Garcons. Read reviews and people say it smells like bloody raw meat and rotting trash. Um...I don't think so!

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    That's a hilarious description! ...but you didn't name the scent, and now I'm curious.
    the scent is Vetiverus by Oliver & Co...........one cold morning i put it on and later, when the sun came out, i actually stopped in the street to check the soles of my shoes, thinking i'd stepped in goat dung....it took me a while to realize that it was my fragrance....one review talks of an "incredibly earthy vetiver"......i now can now only wear it after dark with the temperature going down....
    Currently wearing: Areté by Redwood Alchemy

Basenotes Institution

Wore Tobacco Oud a lot this past winter.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

L'Artisan Parfumeur L'Eau de Jatamansi is my weirdo, because it contains Himalayan nard (true spikenard). Smells like patchouli but different. It's an odd but very enjoyable note.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Habanita by Molinard

These are probably the two weirdest fragrances I wear regularly.
    375x500.10758.jpg
    cdg.jpg
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Dependent

I'd have to say this is the "weirdest" fragrance I've worn (only a decant). Honorable mention goes to Le Labo's Patchouli 24 with its weird, electrical fire vibe.
    T-Rex.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    It's funny to hear "now that weather is cooler" from down under while the USA is about to get its first massive blast of summer heat...
    FIRST massive blast?? Don't know where you're from, but here in the Northeast, we've already had TWO heat waves (3 days of 90+). My mini split and window ACs ran for about 4 days straight the first week/end of June, and we had several days of 90+ in May also.

A “weird scent” that I don’t own but will eventually is Sumo Wrestler by J-Scent. It’s smells like a great barber shop fragrance, but there is something interesting in it I can’t put my finger on. It’s supposed to smell like the oil the sumo wear in their hair. It’s different and pretty awesome, but I would classify it as weird to some degree.
    Current Top 5:

Prada Luna Rossa Black, Bortnikoff Musk Cologne, Mancera Cedrat Bois, Versace Eros, Santa Maria Novella Muschio

All Time Signature Scent: Kiehls Musk

Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkAtTheDiner View Post
    Interesting question!

Blackpepper - CdG, straight up pepper.
    Sables - Goutal, Immortelle? fenugreek? maple? Whatever you want to call it, this stuff is amazing. Probably in my top 10.
    You beat me to it, Sables was my first thought.

I sampled black pepper.... cooking a fair share of meat and using lots of pepper.... nothing weird about that as a scent!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ascotnot View Post
    I wear Yacht Man Red with surprising frequency. The only thing really weird about it is that it's a $5 fragrance that I rate up there with favorite fragrances I have costing up to 60x as much.
    Okay I'll join the club, Red is decent, but not weird except the price.

Another one that comes to mind is Hammam Bouquet. Best not to think about it too much that someone wants to smell like a bath house???

Noir Anthracite.... Workin' in the coal mine....

Finally maybe the Bulgari Eau Parfume tea line. For coffee addicts or other that don't like tea, might be weird. (Lots of scents say they have tea notes but seems like 90% of the time it's missing or extremely light, but these aimed more at realism....)

All Is Beautiful

Petroleum by Histoires. I enjoy it.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Junkie

Noir Anthracite +1
    The Zoo Club Design - Bulgari Black's rubber note amped up and taken in a different direction

Kouros would be on my list. Sables also would make the list too. Because it smells like Maple syrup.
    Currently wearing: Eau de Cade by L'Occitane

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I don't know if you could say I "wear" it, at least not regularly, but I'm now on my third decant (and starting to think I should just buy a FB) of Grimoire by Anatole LeBreton. It's definitely weird, smells like very old books and the damp stone walls of a basement in a ruined castle. But somehow it's very compelling.
    Oh yes, Grimoire: definitely belongs in this category. I like it very much. Some days it reminds me of the original Messe de Minuit and sometimes Eau d'Hermes, but it's quite hard to pin down.

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post

I sampled black pepper.... cooking a fair share of meat and using lots of pepper.... nothing weird about that as a scent!!!
    Hahaha, I totally get that - but somehow, it works. Probably because of that aloof woodiness that's at the base of quite a few CDGs, dries down to that pretty fast.

Maybe not super weird, but a little less orthodox than some others.

HdP - Petroleum (sort of reminds me of a worn band aid)

Areej Le Doré - War and Peace (musk and musket oil)

CdG - Skai (a fresh ping pong paddle with lemon zest)

Mazzolari - Lui (Civet patchouli bomb opening)

Amouage - Opus XI (oily cardboard)

Le Labo - Oud 27 (sour funky woods)

Guerlain - Encens Mythique D'Orient (incense plus beach funk)

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by scents or View Post
    the scent is Vetiverus by Oliver & Co...........i now can now only wear it after dark with the temperature going down....
    The scent for vampires.

I've kinda gotten to the place where none of that stuff takes up a permanent residence in my wardrobe. And the couple that are a bit more out there, are strictly cold weather frags. It's hot and muggy where I'm at, and I really can't deal with too much strangeness in those conditions.

I guess Hanae Mori edt is a little eccentric.

Though I do want to get CdG Standard and try out Sumo Wrestler and Oud Cologne soon. And honestly Panda sounds nice now that it's miserable out. We will see.

The strangest thing that I have in rotation, IMO, has nothing to do with the scent, which is familiar. But most normal people don't have a more natural smelling Sauvage clone they picked up while touring a perfumer. Un Hiver a Grasse is a warm weather staple ever since.

I guess some people would see Issey Miyake Or Encens as a "weird fragrance".
    At least I've got some comments like "what's that?" with raising eyebrows.
    I think it's not that weird but very nice.
    And it really hurts to see that it is currently sold for just 46 Euros here in Germany. That's insane for this quality juice!
    But it doesn't sell because not many people wear such kind of fragrances hence the low price.

If something like Silver Man is weird to you, then I'm wondering what you think of fragrances such as Oud Infini or Hyrax by Zoologist lol...

Silver Man is a relatively bland soapy floral citrus scent which is just boring. Soapy and perhaps a little bit dated. But weird?

Basenotes Junkie

Olympic Orchids
    Acidica
    are two weird house that I love to death

M7 vintage!
    White Light, White Heat!

Fragrances that are : ANIMALIC, ODD, STRANGE, STINKY, UNIQUE, OFF BEAT, etc. (2018) SixCats!

https://www.basenotes.net/threads/44...E-OFF-BEAT-etc.

SixCats!

Third Annual "YATAGAN DAY" July 14th. (Bastille Day) 2021

Hello all,

Ol' SixCats! here. Just an early reminder, this upcoming July 14th. 2021 be sure to join me (along with countless thousands World wide) to celebrate the French Holiday Bastille Day and also the Third Annual wearing of CARON "YATAGAN" this July 14th. 2021 "YATAGAN DAY". Vive la Caron!

SixCats!

Interesting thread. Funny when I first read the title, I thought to myself well, a lot of Amouages are weird. And that’s how you started it.
    To me, and in the context of the thread, Norma Kamali Incense would be the weirdest I had. I’ve just run out of it. I sealed the bottle with a few drops left in it which I’ll save forever. Otherwise, I think a lot of Montale Aouds and CDG 2 (many CdGs) are also unusual, weird if you want to call them that. But I love them and wear them. In fact CdG 2 is one of my most favorite fragrances.
    However one of my recent purchases and the most weird, borderline unwearable, is Rasasi Shaghaf. I can only wear one or two sprays away from my neck In cooler weather—and I’m a heavy sprayer. It’s so strange and unwearable…until I start getting compliments! Strangely, prices on this have been going up but when I tried to sell it no one wanted it LOL.
    I must add that I find myself veering away from the weird and certainly animalics. I still have and wear niche and ouds and some that may not necessarily be mainstream but not like before.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Dependent

Peau d'Ailleurs by Starck is pretty strange. Like a bag of potting soil that you've added some perfume to. I actually like it, and have periods where I'll wear it for some days in a row. Inexpensive, and like Bulgari Black, another composition by Annick Menardo
    Last edited by Birdboy48; 20th June 2021 at 06:20 PM.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast