Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar

Default Do you wear any 'weird' scents regularly? Got any favorites?

I've been wearing Amouage Silver Man quite a bit this year. It's such a weird scent, but in a wonderful way. It would be a typical, though high quality, citrus floral over woods and musk scent, perhaps leaning a bit toward classic style, except for the fact that it has a huge plum note. It smells like a classic manly cologne mixed with Smarties candies. Remember those?

It's weird, yet weirdly compelling. I've never smelled anything like it.

Do you have any weird ones that you regularly wear?

EDITED to add: Weird doesn't mean bad. It means strange, perhaps even bizarre, but it doesn't mean bad. I mentioned Fahrenheit and Bvlgari Black below. We take them for granted now since they've been around for so long, but each was pretty strange when first released. I especially remember Bvlgari Black when it was new. The fact that the bottle was wrapped in a ring of thick rubber only emphasized how strange the smell was, but it was also so good. It was like nothing else. Perfume created to smell like rubber is weird, but it was also compelling and surprisingly wearable, especially as the opening wears off. I still think Bvlgari Black is a work of art, and Fahrenheit is a legend for good reason.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 15th June 2021 at 08:36 AM.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Do you wear any 'weird' scents regularly? Got any favorites?

Nope. Can't say anything I wear from my stash would be weird, at least not to me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Interesting question!
    The straightforward answer would be no. I wouldn't wear them if I found them weird.

But with that being said, there are quite a few in my collection that others would deem weird, which I wear regularly. Some of my favourites are:

CdG 2 - CdG, love the inky aldehydic florals.
    Blackpepper - CdG, straight up pepper.
    Sables - Goutal, Immortelle? fenugreek? maple? Whatever you want to call it, this stuff is amazing. Probably in my top 10.
    Arabie - Lutens, can include quite a few from Lutens tbh.
    Cuir D'Ange, legit smells like a new leather bag, easy to like, hard to wear.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkAtTheDiner View Post
    The straightforward answer would be no. I wouldn't wear them if I found them weird.
    Pretty much this. I may enjoy trying weird scents, but I wouldn't own anything that I found to be very weird. "Unique", on the other hand, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkAtTheDiner View Post
    Sables - Goutal, Immortelle? fenugreek? maple? Whatever you want to call it, this stuff is amazing. Probably in my top 10.
    Celine's Black Tie might be up your alley as well then. It has spices, syrupy vanilla sweetness, and woods. I consider it Eau Noire's younger more approachable sibling.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Pretty much this. I may enjoy trying weird scents, but I wouldn't own anything that I found to be very weird. "Unique", on the other hand, sure.
    This is why I only own a decant of Amouage Silver rather than a bottle. It's weird enough that I don't think it suits me, but I'm glad I own enough to wear every now and then.
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Blog Entries

I stay away from weird fragrances these days, not going to pay to smell like crap
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Red Tobacco by Mancera

MAZZOLARI LUI is probably the oddest scent I wear and it's debatable whether it's "weird." It's got a harsh animalic open, but mellows into a pretty wearable scent.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    I stay away from weird fragrances these days, not going to pay to smell like crap
    Weird doesn't mean "like crap." For example, Amouage Silver smells amazing. It's just... odd. It's such classic masculinity, but there's a giant plum note that makes it modern but also almost casual despite the otherwise classic structure.

I'd say Bvlgari Black is a weird one too - and fantastic. On first whiff, it smells like rubber, but it has such a human coziness too.

And if Fahrenheit didn't already exist, it would surely seem weird today. It literally smells like gasoline, as if that's what any person would want to smell like. But beneath that accord is actually a combination of citruses and florals, with woods and leather. We don't think of it as weird because we know it so well... but you have to admit, the concept is weird. Brilliantly so, in fact. That's part of what makes it such a work of art.
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    MAZZOLARI LUI is probably the oddest scent I wear and it's debatable whether it's "weird." It's got a harsh animalic open, but mellows into a pretty wearable scent.
    OH! That's a good one. I regret passing on my sample to another BNer ages ago. I used to swap out my samples as soon as I knew I wouldn't buy a bottle, but I should have hung on to the ones I found compelling. Lui is definitely compelling stuff.

Ooh, here's another: Andrea Maack, Coal.
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Black Tourmaline, Black Gemstone!

I don't have scents that I consider weird in my collection.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I don't have scents that I consider weird in my collection.
    You own New Haarlem. You don't think wearing perfume to smell like pancakes is a bit weird? Every time I smell New Haarlem, I think of my ex. God, she was awesome. We were both teenagers, and she worked at iHop, so... she got paid to smell like that.

Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

If "weird" means the opposite of "crowd-pleasing compliment magnet", then for example Nishane Unutamam (which I'm wearing today) fits the bill.
    Spray less, love more.

I also have a small decant of CDG BLACK which grows on me every time I re-try it.

Smells like remnants of a fireplace fire or a very strong dose of licorice. Or a combo of the two. While I kind of like it, not sure where I would wear it.

The original Messe de Minuit - by which I mean the first formulation, the vintage eau de cologne - is probably the strangest I own.

The original Fleur de Cassie was not far behind. Such an intriguing scent, almost like animalic custard, but I just didn't wear it and decided to let someone else enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by imm0rtelle View Post
    Celine's Black Tie might be up your alley as well then. It has spices, syrupy vanilla sweetness, and woods. I consider it Eau Noire's younger more approachable sibling.

Thanks, I've been eyeing the Celine collection for a while. Alas, the pandemic has made it near impossible for me to sample them so far. Hopefully soon.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I’m sensing a theme, but CDG Black and Bulgari Black.
    Time to break them out again now that the weather is cooler.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Explorer by Montblanc

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I’m sensing a theme, but CDG Black and Bulgari Black.
    Time to break them out again now that the weather is cooler.
    I guess BULGARI BLACK is slightly odd with that tire note, but overall not too strange a scent...

It's funny to hear "now that weather is cooler" from down under while the USA is about to get its first massive blast of summer heat...

BR540 and perhaps Trumper's Eucris.

They are both superb scents, but are weird in that they don't really smell of anything common or an every day odour. Hardly surprising that I own neither right now.

From the perspective of the average basenote member, perhaps close to 5% of my collection is "weird"

From the perspective of the average person I encounter face to face, perhaps close to 70% of my collection is "weird"

The power of Perspective.

Paco Rabanne - 1 Million. I think it's about as "weird" as you can get. People just don't see it that way anymore since it caught on and became so mainstream that it became "normal".

Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - 2022 Generation Man - very bipolar with the dark oud and fresh yuzu.

But otherwise, no. I am not interested in spraying something on me that is odd or strange. Not all interesting smells should be fragrances. Something you don't mind smelling is very different from wanting to smell like that.
    Current Winter Favorites:

1. House of Matriarch - Blackbird
    2. Brückner - Aoud 1
    3. Creed - Royal Oud
    4. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Generation Man
    5. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    6. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    7. Stéphane Humbert Lucas 777 - Mortal Skin
    8. Creed - Royal English Leather
    9. Creed - Bois du Portugal
    10. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions

Quote Originally Posted by Bis100 View Post
    The power of Perspective.
    Agree here.

I own and wear several that many outside Basenotes would consider weird. Consider:

Caron Yatagan - my wife once said this (or was it Aramis Devin?) smelled like “northwoods incense” and was “distractingly intriguing”

Caron L'Anarchiste - minty and metallic; definitely avant-garde.

Alien Man Fusion - the coffee note, in particular, is very weird.

Lalique Hommage à L'Homme Voyageur - cardamom is usually used more sensually, in my experience; here it is combined with vetiver and papyrus for something quite different.

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    Caron Yatagan - my wife once said this (or was it Aramis Devin?) smelled like “northwoods incense” and was “distractingly intriguing”
    I've had people comment Yatagan smells like a headshop incense. I think Yatagan layered with Pour un Homme intensifies that smell.

Three which spring to mind are:

Rasasi Shurah - I once read a review which said its strange mix of ashy and sweet smells reminded them of the back of a limo which had been heavily used the night before - got to say I agree to a large extent but like it anyway.

Montale Mukhallat - conjures up the shops I used to enjoy visiting on the campsites of my youth - a heady mix of penny sweets, plastic toys, fruit and ice cream - takes me back to some special childhood places in my head - isn't this part of what fragrance is all about?

Fred Hayman Hollywood for Men - definitely a weird bottle but the scent is pretty odd too - buttered popcorn and even, some claim, a celluloid-like plasticky note.

All 3 get worn and enjoyed on a pretty regular basis.

I don't find any of my FB Wardrobe weird.
    Others might raise an eyebrow at Etro Heliotrope (fresh white emulsion paint), CdG Black (licorice, tar, etc), Fahrenheit (petrol and flowers), or Knize Ten (leather and flowers)
    Samples are for my own pleasure, and nobody else's business.
    Summer is here : greens, vetiver, aromatics. Daily drivers : Bottega Veneta Bottega Veneta pour Homme EdT; Guerlain Vetiver, Etro Palais Jamais. Aramis Tuscany; Penhaligon's Juniper Sling; CDG Zagorsk; Caron Yatagan; Puig Quorum; Hermes Equipage Geranium.
    Sampling : Parfum d'Empire Eau de Gloire, Corsica Furiosa; Anatole Lebreton L'Eau de Merzhin; Chanel No19 Poudre; Knize Sec
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I also have a small decant of CDG BLACK which grows on me every time I re-try it.

Smells like remnants of a fireplace fire or a very strong dose of licorice. Or a combo of the two. While I kind of like it, not sure where I would wear it.
    That actually sounds pretty nice.

Adding another CdG to the mix: Odeur 71, which sounds much stranger in the note pyramid than it smells in real life. Actually one of my favorite warm weather fragrances, it has a very pleasant, slightly prickly - in the vein of static electricity on a balloon - chemical-fresh, floral smell. There are other CdGs I own that are just as weird as they sound like Tar or Radish Vetiver, and even though I like those they don’t have the same wearability/everyday factor as Odeur 71. It layers very nicely with Encre Noire too.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Adding another CdG to the mix: Odeur 71, which sounds much stranger in the note pyramid than it smells in real life. Actually one of my favorite warm weather fragrances, it has a very pleasant, slightly prickly - in the vein of static electricity on a balloon - chemical-fresh, floral smell. There are other CdGs I own that are just as weird as they sound like Tar or Radish Vetiver, and even though I like those they don’t have the same wearability/everyday factor as Odeur 71. It layers very nicely with Encre Noire too.
    That one was nice. I agree that it's not as strange as the note pyramid suggests.

thanks for starting this thread........i'd been toying with the idea of something similar by saying "no office-friendly scents", "no date-night scents", "no holiday beach scents", "no skanky oud scents" "no scents for social events" but i couldn't quite get anything as good as "weird"......i have one fragrance that over 50 degrees F smells like an empty goat pen in the hot sun, but if you live in the country this wouldn't be "weird" and in the city it might be just considered "sweet".....CDG black was weird the first fifty times i wore it, but now it seems normal so now i must be "weird".....
    Currently wearing: Areté by Redwood Alchemy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast