Code of Conduct

Thread: Sclareolide

Default Sclareolide

So I just got some of this & it smells bizonkerz strong & diffusive just sniffing the open jar of powder. I don't smell ambergris-related molecules particularly well & this smells vastly stronger to me than ambroxide materials (at least just sniffing headspace of jar). It smells amazingly appealing to me, like an entire perfume: sweet, papery, powdery, woody, musky. There is only a single formula on good scents containing this & it seems very boring w nearly 50% IES. I am thinking about first trying this material at the core of a simple accord with some subtle floral backing by a muguet, woody ambery base with norlimbanol/ambrocenide & vertofix, and maybe a floraly top with coranol & cyclopidene?

Anywayz, thoughts or experience w this material would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Sclareolide

Just as an odd fact: this used to be used as a nutritional supplement fat-burner and stimulant, very widely used. I have no idea, other than price going way up, why it essentially disappeared from that market. I suspect that is the sole reason.

May I ask who is selling it retail, if anyone? I don't believe I've seen it.

Got it from PCW. It's btwn €1.5 & €2.5 per gram, depending how much you buy.

Thank you!

Sorry to ask here, though you got my interest in this, do they kill you on shipping?

Quote Originally Posted by Casper_grassy View Post
    Sorry to ask here, though you got my interest in this, do they kill you on shipping?
    Shipping to the US is a flat rate €33 (at least for the sizes of packages my orders have been) regardless of how many bottles. They have a lot of materials I haven't seen available retail to hobbyists anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by mnitabach View Post
    Shipping to the US is a flat rate 33 (at least for the sizes of packages my orders have been) regardless of how many bottles. They have a lot of materials I haven't seen available retail to hobbyists anywhere else.
    Aka buy more lol.
    Thanks, and they def do. A few interesting ones.

OK I tried a few sketches w sclareolide that were trash, but here is one that I think is nice & highlights why to use it as an alternative to other ambroxide-related materials. Incidentally, my observation that it smelled "stronger" than other ambroxide-related materials as neat crystals does not bear out when deposited on smelling strips or in blends, where at least ambrofix has a stronger distinct scent. I would say that sclareolide is more neutral powdery papery ambery than ambrofix or cetalox and is less woody than the former & less marine than the latter. Anyways here's the sketch in ppt, which I tested on skin at 5% in EtOH:

vertenex 200
    allyl amyl glycolate 40
    jasmin 231 60
    beyond lilyflore 200
    vertofix 200
    exaltolide 20
    sclareolide 200
    hedione HC 80
    ambrocenide 0.02

I think the sclareolide exalts the cedary woodiness of the vertenex & vertofix, as well as the florality if jasmine. The entire gemisch dries down to a subtle, yet elegant & tenacious, smooth powdery creamy musky woody amber w just a hint of muguet. I did it this way to see what a base dominated by sclareolide would be like. If you subbed ambrofix or cetalox for the sclareolide at equal dose, this would be enormously different: a bomb. To make a real perfume, you'd obvs need to add stronger elements to the base, such as stronger muguet (lyral), woods (vetiver, patch, santal, cedar, etc), perhaps mossy, etc.

Incidentally, I'm not a big expert on jasmin 231, but at the peak of this jasmine heart, it was soapy AF (distinctly on skin, even more so on the smelling strip). Not sure if this is a feature of the 231, or an interaction (perhaps w the vertenex?).

One other observation is that I really liked the top accord of vertenex & allyl amyl glycolate! The initial opening of this sketch is dominated by sweet fruity benzyl acetate from jasmin 231, but within a few minutes this is gone & the vertenex aag accord is nicely dry fruity woody.

ETA: One last thing, I'm still testing tenacity on smelling strip, but the tenacity on skin seems definitely a lot longer than would be expected from the 108 hours substantivity on smelling strip reported on good scents.

Quote Originally Posted by mnitabach View Post
    So I just got some of this & it smells bizonkerz strong & diffusive just sniffing the open jar of powder. I don't smell ambergris-related molecules particularly well & this smells vastly stronger to me than ambroxide materials (at least just sniffing headspace of jar). It smells amazingly appealing to me, like an entire perfume: sweet, papery, powdery, woody, musky. There is only a single formula on good scents containing this & it seems very boring w nearly 50% IES. I am thinking about first trying this material at the core of a simple accord with some subtle floral backing by a muguet, woody ambery base with norlimbanol/ambrocenide & vertofix, and maybe a floraly top with coranol & cyclopidene?

Anywayz, thoughts or experience w this material would be greatly appreciated!
    That sounds good. Even though I don't like these kinds of fragrances, trying to create a perfume with your own hands is fun. For some reason, I can't make up my mind on such experiments.