Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Guess the highest ranked fragrances on Basenotes / Fun competition

Okay, it's done.

I've bumped the minimum votes up to 20, as that made more sense.

I'll add the ones guessed so far!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    What's interesting so far (and it might be because it's working through the perfumes in the order that they were entered in the directory), is that older, discontinued fragrances are doing really well.

Probably as people have a nostalgic view of them, and so tend to rate them higher? Anyway, this could all change as the script is still going!
    I will throw in a "survivor" vote for "Vintage" Tabarôme, knowing it will likely get wiped by something that can get more votes later!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Habanita by Molinard

I've added ones guessed correctly (all 3 of them!)

Feel free to have another guess if you already have guessed. I'll take any concentration as a guess, so if you guess EDT and its an EDP then it still counts

Basenotes Plus

Chanel Cuir de Russie

Spiriteuse Double Vanille

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Wow, lots of guesses upthread that I thought for sure would make top 30 but didn't (No. 19, Derby, and Coromandel especially).

Will throw Moschino pour Homme out there then.
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

Feel free to have another guess if you already have guessed. I'll take any concentration as a guess, so if you guess EDT and its an EDP then it still counts
    First one was a miss, so I'll take another stab at it.

I'll go with Shalimar.

Added Cuir de Russie and Shalimar

interesting they are all Chanel's and Guerlain's so far

Basenotes Member

I'm gonna guess:

Creed Green Irish Tweed

Everyone loves GIT.

L'Air du Désert Marocain

We had earlier guesses for Antaeus and Kouros,-- they're not on the list but the sport versions are, so I've counted them too

Basenotes Plus

Added Cuir de Russie and Shalimar

interesting they are all Chanel's and Guerlain's so far
    Cool! I knew it was popular but didn't know Shalimar would take #1!

Oooh, I guessed that the ones that are newer and not as popular will be weighted favourably as the classics often have their haters, too, but it seems it's the other way around!

Then my second guess would be Guerlain's L'Heure Bleue, I'm sure it has many fans and not too many haters.

Edit: oh no, it was mentioned before me by chypre! (facepalm)
    Then maybe Après L'Ondée?

Ok second guess

Chypre Siam by Rogue Perfumery
    Currently enjoying

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Pour Monsieur / Boss Number One (current)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir / Bright Neroli / Cool Water (vintage)
    Patrick / Allure Homme / Jazz Club / YSL Pour Homme HC

Assuming rum wasn't able to take No. 5, then my second guess is No. 5.

Adding the perhaps less predictable Loewe para Hombre - maybe not spectacular in terms of popularity, however still managing to get an overwhelming amount of positive and otherwise only neutral, yet so far no negative reviews/ratings - at least based on the BN reviews page as of today

======== Any thing guessed until now has been added - Feel free to guess again =====

Clues:

* Still some Guerlain's and Chanel's left
    * Don't think that they are all Western perfumery brands
    * A few entries from artisanal houses with big followings on BN
    * There's a few old school mainstream french brands on there too

Won't be checking til tomorrow morning UK time, so be patient

Basenotes Plus

Aramis Havana

Knize Ten?

Jicky?

MD > LA > NYC > Chicago > MSP > NYC > LA > Seattle

Artisanal, with big following?

Assuming something from Areej, like:
    Ottoman Empire
    Atlantic Amgergris
    Russian Musk
    Siberian Musk
    Russian Oud

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Shiseido Basala!
    Molinard Habanita
    Guerlain Arsène Lupin Dandy
    Last edited by Redneck Perfumisto; 15th June 2021 at 08:25 PM. Reason: adding.....
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Habanita by Molinard

Tabac blonde?

Basenotes Institution

Gucci Pour Homme might be in there somewhere.

Dependent

What's interesting so far (and it might be because it's working through the perfumes in the order that they were entered in the directory), is that older, discontinued fragrances are doing really well.
    I'm not surprised. It wasn't that long ago that there were many fewer fragrances being released each year, and folks had the chance to concentrate on the (relatively) few that were.

A lot of those old "Basenotes Darlings" that people often poo-poo now. I suspect we'll see some of them show up on the list.

LIDGE and Tobacco Vanille ?

If I just get one guess, I'd say Chergui ?
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

I"m going to put a guess in for Dior Fahrenheit.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Patou pour Homme
    Spray less, love more.

Blog Entries

Black Orchid.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Probably as people have a nostalgic view of them, and so tend to rate them higher? Anyway, this could all change as the script is still going!
    Also the aging population here combined with most new people coming to BN as a haven away from modern mainstream fragrances (be it for interest in vintages/discontinued fragrances or rare artisanals).

Fragrantica has conversely become a haven for clout and relevance seekers (or "wannabe influencers" as an Instagram friend called them), so no doubt we are a haven from that particular toxicity as well.

Generally speaking, nostalgia powers most explorations into fragrance as a hobby from people off the street. The average Joe doesn't get invested in the finer points of chemistry or the high-concept fragrances. If not nostalgia, then people just get tired of their one fragrance and dip down the rabbit hole looking for "advice" that turns them into hobbyists (oh noooooo. )

The luxury stuff on the other hand, is a recent return to a very old premise for "haute parfum" that used to exist before the great depression and WWII leveled everything socioeconomically. It gets lip service/hype disproportionate to the actual ratings of the fragrances themselves, with Roja Dove and Clive Christian being examples.

This leads the ratings to skew in favor of vintages, discontinued fragrances, or artisanals as noted. Everyone here bashes the modern mainstream, everyone over in Fraggle Rock bashes indie niche and animalics. I imagine their ratings skew heavily towards things like Bleu de Chanel and YSL Black Opium.

Only problem is there are more of them than us.

Bros to the left of me, tastemakers to my right.

Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.

I'll venture a guess that Patou pour Homme, Gucci Noble, and Areej le Dore Russian Oud are up there somewhere.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

TF Italian Cypress
    Balenciaga pour Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    Wanna Shop? --> Buzier's Sales

MY TOP SHELF: Azzaro pH, Bel Ami, Blackbird, Blend 30, Cuba, Davidoff '84, Derby, Edition, Equipage, Jules, Knize Ten, Kouros, Leather Oud, Puredistance M, Santal Noble, Tribute Attar, Yatagan

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast