Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Surprise cash award - what perfume to buy FB next

I'm just received a cash award at work for performance and taxes took away a good third of it, so I decided to spend about $200-300 of it on perfume and use the rest towards my family.

Now that I have ready unexpected cash, I'm heavily debating whether to splurge out and go with a more $$$ perfume, such as another Chanel Les Exclusifs, or portion it out and get something like a bottle of Guerlain's Aqua Allegorica range and something else. It's a weird situation I find myself in. Before I got the award I planned out what I wanted to buy full bottle and now I find myself heavily debating what to even get. I wanted to get another mini set of Hermes Hermessences line but the ones I wanted Hermes isn't even offering in the smaller size anymore, so that's been tossed out. I've been sitting on this for a week and wanted input.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944
    Currently wearing: psy_cou by Nomenclature

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Surprise cash award - what perfume to buy FB next

Nice! Either way would work. I can see the appeal of a Les Exclusifs. I've collected a few of those now. Likewise, a pop favorite always hits the spot.

Common Lackey

I'd definitely go for an Exclusif or an Hermessence rather than an assortment of lesser bottles. It's only a windfall that would allow me to make a guilt-free purchase of a single $300 scent. I could never justify it otherwise.

I also tend to go for something more expensive but that I really like, rather than 2 bottles I like less. Unless there is something cheaper that you really like.

(Btw, by chance I got a second Hermessence small set a couple of weeks ago. Muguet, vanille, ambre, and cuir, and I'm pretty happy about it).

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Nice! Either way would work. I can see the appeal of a Les Exclusifs. I've collected a few of those now. Likewise, a pop favorite always hits the spot.
    Seconded and congratulations for this wonderful purchasing opportunity-no matter which one you choose, you are likely to get great quality (although personally tending even more to prefer either of Chanel Les Exclusif and thus more likelier to recommend this particular choice)
    Currently wearing: Romeo Gigli by Romeo Gigli

Blog Entries

l'd make the most of that unexpected windfall & go for the big splurge if l were you.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Institution

Congrats on the award. Now go out and enjoy yourself.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Go with a Chanel Les Exclusif.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Congratulations on a job well done! I agree with the crew here, I would use it on a pricier bottle that would otherwise feel out of reach. Take your time, sniff around, and pick something a little expensive but that you really love <3

Congrats on receiving the award, Kitty2Shoes! Definitely go big! A momentous occasion deserves a momentous acquisition.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon

Basenotes Plus

I agree with others in treating yourself to something more expensive that you wouldn’t buy otherwise. One can never go wrong with one of the Exclusifs, IMO.

Congrats! It’s always nice to come into a little bit of extra cash when you aren’t expecting it.
    Currently wearing: Givenchy III by Givenchy