Code of Conduct

Default ERIS Appreciation - Belle de Jour, etc.

I am wearing Belle de Jour by ERIS today and wanted to highlight it because no one talks about it. Totally unique - a white floral with a seaweed note that makes it simultaneously alluring and a bit disconcerting. Lovely choice for late spring/early summer. It's actually based on a film from 1967 by the same name.

2emaq5HhNTvZEejNqAL74jOsL3W9B2_large.jpg

The whole slew of offerings from this collaboration between Barbara Herman and Antoine Lie is a knockout in my opinion. I was agonizing over which full bottle to order from them because each one is so different but so wonderful. Luckily they have a travel set of the full line in 10ml bottles (minus Mxxx.) on the brand website so I ultimately didn't have to choose, I got them all! Barbara herself sent the package along with a lovely written note I will keep as a memento.

What other favorites do folks have from this line?

My personal ranking is:
    Ma Bete
    Belle de Jour
    Green Spell
    Mx.
    Night Flower (probably quite good, I just don't like tuberose so I haven't worn this yet more than a test)

queen of the universe

Default Re: ERIS Appreciation - Belle de Jour, etc.

Night Flower really got to me. All the scents are just so well constructed. To use an old and maybe out-of-date term, they are post-modern takes on classic perfumery, IMO. I'm off to Indigo Perfumery in CLE one of these days, and will revisit the others, in addition to getting my second bottle of Night Flower. The only miss for me, sadly, was Green Spell. I love greens, and this one just disappeared on my skin.

I got to know Barbara Herman via her blog, Yesterday's Perfume, a fabulous reference to this day. I love her book, Scent and Subversion: Decoding a Century of Provocative Perfume, and not just 'cos I get a mention for turning her onto Mollie Parnis (; She is an engaging writer.
    Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
    Luxe, calme et volupté.

Baudelaire, L'Invitation au voyage

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Night Flower really got to me. All the scents are just so well constructed. To use an old and maybe out-of-date term, they are post-modern takes on classic perfumery, IMO. I'm off to Indigo Perfumery in CLE one of these days, and will revisit the others, in addition to getting my second bottle of Night Flower. The only miss for me, sadly, was Green Spell. I love greens, and this one just disappeared on my skin.

I got to know Barbara Herman via her blog, Yesterday's Perfume, a fabulous reference to this day. I love her book, Scent and Subversion: Decoding a Century of Provocative Perfume, and not just 'cos I get a mention for turning her onto Mollie Parnis (; She is an engaging writer.
    I loved Green Spell (I'm a sucker for a good green fragrance too) but you are right, its major drawback is quite poor longevity. Poof, gone too soon. Way to go on your mention, very cool!

A Barbara Herman interview just went up on BN main page too I see, ERIS is in the air! Enjoy your trip to Indigo <3

Blog Entries

As a lover of (good) stinkers of all sorts—Animalis, indoles, funky musks, etc., etc,—and a longtime fan of La Deneuve and Antone Lie, I thought I was probably destined to need all of these. I love the concepts and the basic execution. They smell good, I appreciate Barbara Herman’s work to provide vintage style scents with modern ingredients, and I also appreciate that the perfumes are not all that expensive, compared with today’s niche prices. But, I think she should have spent more on her ingredients. The scents develop fast—5 minutes and you have already reached drydown, and then, as you said, poof—gone!! I bought the discovery set and they all did the same thing.

I believe these come in large 100 ml or so bottles. My solution, would be some better naturals or sticky captives, and a small 30 ml bottle, for which I will not hesitate, to pay $120-150, if the perfume lasts long enough to make frequent applications worth it. I think Francesca Bianchi’s style and her business model are close to what Barbara does with Eris, but with better raw materials. Still stylistically retro, still relatively affordable, and just extraordinary quality. Patricia de Nicolai does the same.
    "Put on some red lipstick, and live a little."--Dita Von Teese
    current avatar: the incomparable Kristen Pfaff❤️❤️❤️
    Currently wearing: Métallique by Tom Ford

queen of the universe

NIght Flower's longevity is good. I may have to sample the others, besides Green Spell, again.
    Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
    Luxe, calme et volupté.

Baudelaire, L'Invitation au voyage

Quote Originally Posted by khanada View Post
    I think Francesca Bianchi’s style and her business model are close to what Barbara does with Eris, but with better raw materials. Still stylistically retro, still relatively affordable, and just extraordinary quality. Patricia de Nicolai does the same.
    Do you have Bianchis to recommend? I tried Black Knight and Sticky Fingers and frankly hated them - had some heavy aromachemicals I found skreechy and overbearing. I've heard a lot of people rave about Etruscan Waters, maybe I just need to try the ones that don't resemble the two I happened upon.

I enjoyed Ma Bete.