Code of Conduct

Thread: Greetings

Default Greetings

Hello all

I'm 40 and only just delving into the world of fragrances. I've always been obsessed with the transportive quality of interesting aromas (one of my earliest memories is having a tea bag pressed to my nose and inhaling slowly and deeply with eyes closed) but for most of my life, bottled fragrances were just too much. I despised most of the oppressive wafts I caught from passers-by, friends and family. I even dreamt of forming the 'Scent Police' fighting crimes against the olfactory sense.

In my thirties, I resorted to using Cannabis to relieve symptoms from a chronic illness as pharmaceutical options brought too many negative side effects. I quickly became obsessed with the myriad notes present in different varieties and in trying to identify them, found myself on fragrance forums such as this for points of reference.
    I soon wanted to experience some of the niche creations I'd been reading about, as well as some classics to understand many of the references here.

60+ samples later and I'm getting a wonderful education. Some designer offerings still smell like offensive, generic horror to me, while others evoke a memory of a person or a time in my life. I bought a small, discounted bottle of Kouros - I can't see myself wearing it that often but it unlocks vivid memories and feelings of the late 80's like nothing else.

I've fallen deeply in love with some frags (Philosykos, Kyoto, Oud & Bergamot, Tam Dao), only for them to fleet and disappear without a trace in less than an hour. Oh, the frustration! And others that last but are sadly discontinued (Leather Oud, Dzing).

I've purchased a full bottle of Ganymede, one of the the few I've tried that works for me in hot weather and actually lasts on my skin. Compliments galore from that one.

Bulgari's Au The Rouge is the only other full bottle I've snapped up as yet. Fleeting, but that initial tannic blast takes me right back to my first scent memory. Bliss.

I'm getting so much enjoyment from my voyage of discovery, being pleasantly surprised by notes and accords I thought I'd hate, and having trouble with some I thought I'd love. How exciting it is to let each new sample to lead me on a journey, unsure of the destination. Better late than never.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Greetings

Welcome to you O Warren Knight! Enjoy your time here at Basenotes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Welcome! Glad you joined us and wishing you to enjoy the time spent here.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Great post. It's nice to hear you're getting into it!

I'd call it a lucky miss with Leather Oud, though.

Common Lackey

One of the best newbie stories ever, going from Scent Police to Scent Criminal.

Welcome to you!

Welcome on board! I'm a similar age to you and only got into fragrances in a big way in the last year or so. It's a hobby that gives me an awful lot of pleasure so I hope the same for you!

Basenotes Institution

Welcome aboard!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome!

Basenotes Plus

Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard O Warren Knight
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

It's much more fun being the perp! Corrupting others too - I'm getting the postman interested

Thank you all for the warm welcomes.

Welcome Warren. Great post, you mention a number of fragrances in my own scent journey (Kouros, Oud and Bergamot). Ganymede was my last full bottle purchase, it is wonderful and unique in my collection, a great purchase! I am trying out some Le Galiion samples at the moment, really enjoying those.

Basenotes Plus

Welcome! Look forward to seeing more posts from you!
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944
    Currently wearing: psy_cou by Nomenclature

Missing Oakmoss

Marvelous introductory post, O Warren Knight! A warm welcome to Basenotes.

Welcome to the dark side, OWK! You’re in good company. One of the things I enjoy here at Basenotes is reading how many members just seem to enjoy “smells” in general—“like the lining of an expensive woman’s purse”, “like a handful of cold, dark dirt”, “the smell of rain on hot pavement”. Your savouring of the scent of a teabag makes me think you’ve landed in the right place…enjoy your time here and hope to hear more as your quest continues!