Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Eris Parfums' Founder Barbara Herman on the Enduring Power of Scented Seduction

Read the article here / 1623938520

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Eris Parfums' Founder Barbara Herman on the Enduring Power of Scented Seduction

Interesting interview. Knew little about the fragrance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Default Re: Eris Parfums' Founder Barbara Herman on the Enduring Power of Scented Seduction

I love ERIS! So glad to see this interview, I hope people try out their fragrances who haven't already!

Common Lackey

I was once reading an old thread about a Basenotes meetup that happened in New Orleans several years ago, and there were mentions of a perfume shop SA named Barbara Herman. I didn't know for sure if it was the future author of "Scent and Subversion" author until I read this article. Nice to know that someone can go from shop assistant to perfume company owner.

I can't wait to get my hands on some of that Green Spell. It sounds like they might as well have printed my name on the bottle. (I just hope they kept the narcissus to a minimum.)

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Antoine Lie, no pressure, eh?

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Antoine Lie, no pressure, eh?
    Let's hope he did more exciting work here than he did with the Les Indemodables line. At least better than "It's pleasant".

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    I was once reading an old thread about a Basenotes meetup that happened in New Orleans several years ago, and there were mentions of a perfume shop SA named Barbara Herman. I didn't know for sure if it was the future author of "Scent and Subversion" author until I read this article. Nice to know that someone can go from shop assistant to perfume company owner.

I can't wait to get my hands on some of that Green Spell. It sounds like they might as well have printed my name on the bottle. (I just hope they kept the narcissus to a minimum.)

Cook.bot, Barbara Herman here. I remember that meetup! I quit my job in San Francisco and moved to New Orleans to write "Scent and Subversion," and was lucky enough to get a job as a SA at a niche perfume store that had just opened in New Orleans. It was wonderful to write in the shop when no one was there, and then take breaks by helping people choose scents. It was an amazing time in my life in that decadent city!

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Parfumaniac View Post
    Cook.bot, Barbara Herman here. I remember that meetup! I quit my job in San Francisco and moved to New Orleans to write "Scent and Subversion," and was lucky enough to get a job as a SA at a niche perfume store that had just opened in New Orleans. It was wonderful to write in the shop when no one was there, and then take breaks by helping people choose scents. It was an amazing time in my life in that decadent city!
    So great to know that was you! I'll bet I crossed your path there and didn't even know it. I lived there from '92 to '05, and I'm a native San Franciscan. Quite a culture shock, wasn't it? :)

PS: I adore Scent & Subversion. Have given several gift copies.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Super cool article Ms Seipp!

Barbara Herman has been a great reviewer and curator of vintage perfume knowledge and I've always recommended her to new people interested in learning about older perfumes in a friendly, approachable manner. It's awesome to see her take that passion and move it into creating perfumes undoubtedly made with a classic spin in mind, per her interests.
    Last edited by Varanis Ridari; 20th June 2021 at 05:13 AM.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Performing the BN salute

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parfumaniac View Post
    I love a good "small world" story.
    Hi, Barbara. That meetup was one of the most memorable days of my life. I can imagine it was rewarding for you to bounce between writing and selling in that special environment.
    Currently wearing: Winter by Dasein

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    So great to know that was you! I'll bet I crossed your path there and didn't even know it. I lived there from '92 to '05, and I'm a native San Franciscan. Quite a culture shock, wasn't it? :)

PS: I adore Scent & Subversion. Have given several gift copies.
    Cook.bot, They're very different cities, yes, but are both quirky! So glad you loved the book. :-)

Quarry - I do remember that being a fun day! It didn't feel like work. And everyone was so open to trying new things. The champagne helped! ;-)

queen of the universe

Hi, Barbara,

It's Juliana, the Mollie Parnis fan. Just about to get my second bottle of Night Flower, which is my go-to SOTN. Brava!
    Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
    Luxe, calme et volupté.

Baudelaire, L'Invitation au voyage

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Hi, Barbara,

It's Juliana, the Mollie Parnis fan. Just about to get my second bottle of Night Flower, which is my go-to SOTN. Brava!
    Awww, I'm so happy you love it! We go WAY back to the Yesterday's Perfume days.

Here is Market Research Report on Global Perfume Packaging Bottles Industry: Supply and Demand, Markets and Prices 2021-2027.
    Thank You.