Code of Conduct

Default First Time Creating a Perfume

I created an accord and added a a few other raw materials all diluted with DPG to produce a cumulative 10g solution. I would like to turn this into a perfume.

Say I took 1g of my fragrance solution and set it aside...I am unsure of how much perfumers alcohol to add to the 1g for it to become a perfume and not a EDP/EDT/EDC/EF.

I will then batch the perfume into little atomizers to give to friends.

Please advise?

Default Re: First Time Creating a Perfume

Try 1 gram of concentrate and 4 grams of alcohol for a 20% dilution. If that’s too strong, add more alcohol.
    -Timothy

Basenotes Plus

However, you did not inform how much your materials are already diluted in DPG.
    rauvolfioideae suggests a 20% dilution ratio, but that would / should include all dilutants, including the DPG + Alcohol.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    However, you did not inform how much your materials are already diluted in DPG.
    rauvolfioideae suggests a 20% dilution ratio, but that would / should include all dilutants, including the DPG + Alcohol.
    Thank you for pointing this out.

6 raw materials are diluted at 1% in DPG and the rest are diluted at 10% with DPG.

If you have not yet even tested your fragrance blend in EtOH dilution on skin, you have what is likely to be a substantial amount more work to do before you have a finished perfume you'll be happy to give to your friends. There is no a priori rule that will tell you how much to dilute your blend in EtOH to make it smell as good as possible on skin & progress nicely. Possibly even more importantly, your undiluted blend smelling good (on a smelling strip?) is only a very loose suggestion that it is going to smell good and/or progress nicely when diluted & sprayed on skin. Worrying about exact final concentration to make it an "EDP" rather than an "EDT" or whatever is just a distraction from what you really need to do, which is to start testing your blend diluted in EtOH on skin. This will give you the information you need to tune your blend to perform well in this use case.

Thank you so much!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by camand3r View Post
    Thank you for pointing this out.

6 raw materials are diluted at 1% in DPG and the rest are diluted at 10% with DPG.
    It seems to me that at this present dilution rate in DPG, that you don't need ANY MORE dilution in alcohol. It is ALREADY too weak to be considered even an Edt.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

An Eau-dpg at somewhere probably Eau Fraiche strength, I suppose it could be called.

I obviously missed that the initial fragrance blend is probably already well below 10% aromamaterials in DPG.

I would suggest remaking the fragrance at full strength and then diluting to your desired level. As of now, it is already less than 20% thanks to the chemicals which are at 1%.