Code of Conduct

Default Replacement for Grisambrene

I'm making an accord which requires Grisambrene (Firmenich). The only place I could find it was Liaison Carbone but they're sold out. I then contacted Christine at PSH and asked if she could find some. She got back to me right away and said, unfortunately, Firmenich stopped making it. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement?
    Thanks

Banned

Default Re: Replacement for Grisambrene

Sorry, but I don't have any grisambrene, nor any experience to be of any assistance directly.
    But I might postulate that other ambergris type things, like Fixative 505, or Methyl Cedryl Ketone plus some labdanum might be a good start..

Thank you Paul, those three things I do have so I'll play around with them.

You may consider Ambrarome absolute + natural Ambreine and/or labdanum.
    "A good perfume is only the effect of serendipity; this happy chance falls only to good perfumers" Unknown old perfumer - 1932

Grisambrene had a slight dirty note, kind of like the taste/smell of your mouth after you wake up before you brush your teeth. A salivaish note. With a dry labdanum note(this according to me is the most unique part of Grisambrene, most other Labdanum materials are resinuous), it is a lot thinner than Labdanum, with hints of wood and something amberish/gasolinish(think something like fossilized amber from Eden, not the super ambers like norlimbanol.)

I would start with a dry labdanum, I have never used it but I have heard Dynamone(Biolandes) might be the closest thing to that. Then back it up with touches of Orinox, this is the closest thing I can think of that has both the ambery/gasoline note along with the woodiness. Along with traces of Ambrinol 95 to give it that dirty note.

One of the nicer things about Grisambrene is that it is a lot lighter than normal labdanum so it does not make your perfume dense. Although you do not need much, it is pretty strong.

Vertrofix as the base backed up by Dynamone(or Labdanum Absolute if you do not have Dynamone) with touches of Orinox and traces of Ambrinol.

Thanks needaname
    That's very helpful.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by bhbayless View Post
    I'm making an accord which requires Grisambrene (Firmenich). The only place I could find it was Liaison Carbone but they're sold out. I then contacted Christine at PSH and asked if she could find some. She got back to me right away and said, unfortunately, Firmenich stopped making it. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement?
    Thanks
    damn.....it's a real shame, grisambrene is a very nice perfume for oriental-based and is clearly recognizable in the formulas of some well-known Demachy's high-end Dior and in some well-known Lutens .....