Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Fresh? Ok. For hot and humid? Ok. But also something dry please!

Hi all,

So it is summer, I know many threads are already open on that subject. But wanted to investigate another direction of the typical summer freshie recommended in zillions posts.
    Could you recommend fragrances that refreshes you in the hot but are also dry to cut through the humid/heavy heat? For instance, many wear vetivers in humid/rainy days. I am ok with vetiver as long as they are not too earthy (Grey Vetiver is ok, not heads over heels with it though).

Many classic freshies I work perfectly in normal sunny day:
    Eau tres fraiche by Hermes, Dior Homme Cologne, Givenchy gentleman Cologne, Orange sanguine, Still Life in Rio and the list goes on and on.

But I felt bit less drawn into these when the weather is weighing on your shoulders. Maybe something mint/geranium based? If possible not typical acquatics like sel marin, not a fan. Can also ofc be citrus based if you have something in mind.

Do not know if that makes sense. When I think of dry scent, I think Air du desert Marocain or eve Incense based scent. All maybe to heavy on the very warm/humid days...
    Have a good day

Default Re: Fresh? Ok. For hot and humid? Ok. But also something dry please!

Villoresi Sandalo is dry and not overly heavy, although not a freshie.

I also find TdH Eau Intense Vetiver dry, but it may be too earthy for your preferences.

Sauvage is parched IMO.

Prada Luna Rossa has a bracing opening, and the drydown is dry enough to beat humidity IMO.

Current Favorites:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Lalique Pour Homme EDP, Cartier Declaration

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ImaFedec View Post
    Could you recommend fragrances that refreshes you in the hot but are also dry to cut through the humid/heavy heat?
    Have a good day
    Citrus Batikanga
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Citrus Batikanga
    Need to check that brand, they have a nice discovery set

Was also thinking something in the lines of Allure Homme sport Cologne? Has a lot of the typical citruses, but also vetiver, fir resin, spices and pepper could be an interesting try.
    Also Eau Sauvage Cologne? Was not a fan (not bad by any means though) of the originals but maybe this one?

Perhaps Frederic Malle Geranium Pour Monsieur

Currently wearing: French Affair by Ex Nihilo

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post

This one is awesome. I am hesitating though, b/c it is hot and humid about 2-3 weeks a years here. Bit expensive for that purpose

Carven: L'Eau Intense

Pierre Guillaume Paris: Harmattan Noir 11

Guerlain: Vetiver

Lacoste: Style in Play/Red

Armani: Acqua di Gio

Azzaro: Chrome Sport
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Many great recommendations already mentioned, also adding:
    Lalique White, Best of Chevignon, Azzaro PH l'Eau, Rhubarbe Pamplemousse from the Pierre Herme limited edition by l'Occitane, Assenzio by l'Erbolario, l'Homme Ideal Cologne by Guerlain as well as various unisex options from the Aqua Allegoria line from the same house, Cartier Roadster

Mugler Cologne, Cartier Declaration EdT, and Eau de Guerlain are what I reach for when anything else, no matter how fresh, just seems like it'd be too much. These three are made for cutting through humidity, and working with heat rather than fighting it.

Basenotes Junkie

Acqua di parma colonia... fresh, citrus, aromatic, barbershop... ticks lots of boxes.

Others that come to mind...
    Neroli portofino
    GS03 by biehl
    Neroli sauvage by creed
    Castile by penhaligons

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

Dependent

I'm year round hot and humid and what I have problems with is patchouli turning a little stale, musty and mushroomy.

What has been working well in our weather has been THE DIFFERENT COMPANY. Depending on what your scent preferences are, they offer very easy going and thin watery choices. check them out!

My personal faves are Rose Poivree by JCE, sel de Vetiver , Bois d'iris, the super basic Un Parfum de sens et Bois
    and the super refreshing Bergamote

They all do, but especially Rose Poivree works amazingly with sweat.

LE LABO 's Santal 33, Rose 31 , Bergamote 22, , even Patchouli 24 seem to blossom in the steamy hot days....

Quote Originally Posted by MFJ View Post
    I'm year round hot and humid and what I have problems with is patchouli turning a little stale, musty and mushroomy.

What has been working well in our weather has been THE DIFFERENT COMPANY. Depending on what your scent preferences are, they offer very easy going and thin watery choices. check them out!
    Coincidence, I have just ordered some samples from them an wait to get them: I have ordered Sel de Vetiver, De Bachmakov, Nuit Magnetique (along other brands). Also have samples of Tokyo Bloom, Bois d'iris and Limone de Cordoza waiting in by shopping cart so nice advice

Seconding the wonderful Sel de Vetiver and Azzaro pour Homme l'Eau.
    Spray less, love more.

Aramis Havana is the scent that comes to mind when you mentioned looking for something dry that is suitable in hot and humid weather. It may not be fresh per se but it is a spicy tobacco and rum laden scent that manages to have no sweetness and is a perfect scent for a hot and humid summer day or night. Picture having a cigar and a Cuba libre sitting on a patio on a hot humid day in Havana.
    Formerly known as BeardedBarbershopFan - Still have a beard and still a barbershop fan
    Currently wearing: Sartorial by Penhaligon's

Seconding Cartier Declaration EDT and Aramis Havana.

Current Favorites:
    Guerlain Vetiver, Missoni Parfum Pour Homme, Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense, Lalique Pour Homme EDP, Cartier Declaration

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Reading the thread title I immediately thought of Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche. Another one I'd suggest is Bvlgari Aqua Amara.

Many great suggestions, though not sure what would qualify as 'dry', you can decide that for yourself. Sel Marin could work, too.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

All Is Beautiful

De Bachmakov I would suggest.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Currently wearing: Beau de Jour by Tom Ford

Yes it's cheap and a blue showergel style fragrance - but I'm quite surprised how good Versace Dylan Blue works in really hot weather.
    Worn it a couple of times lately as it's now over 30°C here in Germany and I have to say that I probably underestimated that one.

So I would strongly advise to give it a try.
    But don't expect some masterpiece kind of art - it's just a fresh smell with loads of ambroxan and a few hints of sweet fruits and pachouli.

A few ideas for you

Royal Water by Creed - A 30ml decant of this won’t break the bank especially for the few weeks you mention.

Pomelo Paradis by Atelier Cologne - This will definitely cut through the heat

154 Cologne and Lime Basil Mandarin by Jo Malone

+1 Guerlain Vetiver - I’ve recently got into using this. Smelled up close most year round I find it rough around the edges but 2 or 3 sprays under shirt in this high heat just gives a fresh cool cloud of vetiver. I’ve also seems to layer with citruses.
    Currently enjoying

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Pour Monsieur / Boss Number One (current)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir / Bright Neroli / Cool Water (vintage)
    Patrick / Allure Homme / Jazz Club / YSL Pour Homme HC

Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar

Was also thinking something in the lines of Allure Homme sport Cologne? Has a lot of the typical citruses, but also vetiver, fir resin, spices and pepper could be an interesting try.
    I bet that would wear really well in humid heat.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer
    Currently wearing: Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I bet that would wear really well in humid heat.
    Of course it does, it's one of my summer staples.
    And I like it much more than Dior Homme Cologne.
    But I don't get any vetiver with AHS Cologne.

Basenotes Institution

Dior Homme Cologne

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post

This is a great option!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Hi all,

So it is summer, I know many threads are already open on that subject. But wanted to investigate another direction of the typical summer freshie recommended in zillions posts.
    Could you recommend fragrances that refreshes you in the hot but are also dry to cut through the humid/heavy heat? For instance, many wear vetivers in humid/rainy days. I am ok with vetiver as long as they are not too earthy (Grey Vetiver is ok, not heads over heels with it though).

Many classic freshies I work perfectly in normal sunny day:
    Eau tres fraiche by Hermes, Dior Homme Cologne, Givenchy gentleman Cologne, Orange sanguine, Still Life in Rio and the list goes on and on.

But I felt bit less drawn into these when the weather is weighing on your shoulders. Maybe something mint/geranium based? If possible not typical acquatics like sel marin, not a fan. Can also ofc be citrus based if you have something in mind.

Do not know if that makes sense. When I think of dry scent, I think Air du desert Marocain or eve Incense based scent. All maybe to heavy on the very warm/humid days...
    Have a good day
    Acqua di Selva by Victor/Visconti di Modrone (1949) might be a good cheap thrill.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Legend by Montblanc

Thanks for the suggestions, all! Some I will easily be able to sample, other less unfortunately...

Just to clarify the Q about "what is dry", I understand it is not really clear. In my mind, it basically was the opposite of juicy... Do not know if that helps but I know a lot of fragrances are described as such so might help to narrow down the options)

Dry + mint + heat/humidity to me screams Lacoste Booster.

I'm a late convert to it, but MALLE GERANIUM POUR MONSIEUR is really good. They sell 30ml and 10ml bottles too.
    I don't get out much. But when I do, I smell real good.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Citrus Batikanga
    This^^^

I'll add, Viking Cologne & Chanel Edimbourg
    "And I am a weapon of massive consumption
    and its not my fault its how I'm program to function"
    Currently wearing: Viking Cologne by Creed

Don’t think I’ve seen anyone mention this, but since you said geranium, makes me think of Hermès Equipage Geranium. A nice, cool, sandalwood and geranium combo with an updated-classic feel and JCE wispiness.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast