Code of Conduct

Thread: NoVA

Basenotes Plus

Default NoVA

I was in up Northern Virginia (NoVA) today and was hoping to check out the perfumes in the Dulles Town Center. I was completely unaware that Nordstrom had left as an anchor store there. I didn't want to drive as far as McLean and instead decided to stop at the Fair Oaks Mall before driving back down South.

I was very pleasantly surprised to find a hidden perfume gem shop - French & European Perfume in the Fair Oaks Mall and spoke with the owner, Roya. Although it's a smaller store, the selection of classic perfumes, I thought, was well curated.

It was a nice change up from the selection at Macy's and Sephora. When I finally move to the area I plan to visit her store again.

Are there any other smaller hidden gems in NoVA? I'd honestly like to avoid the Tyson's area if possible, although I might make a trip later to check out the Chanel boutique there for my birthday later on.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944
    Currently wearing: psy_cou by Nomenclature

Default Re: NoVA

Good to know. I seldom go out to the exurbia, so I didn't know, but it seems like a nice place to check.

Right now, nothing I can think about, other than, yes, Tysons corner (Parfums de France, plus the luxury brands spread around the two malls), and Arielle Shoshana (still there?) in the Mosaic. The good thing is that Tysons corner mall is now reachable by metro, so that's not that bad anymore. The Mosaic mall still has none, though, and it's a long walk from the metro stop.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I have known Roya for more than 15 years. She is very nice. The store does have a nice selection of designer, few vintage and few niche (mainly Creed), but her prices are overpriced and not competitive and her knowledge of niche houses is quite limited based on the conversations I have had with her.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I might make a trip later to check out the Chanel boutique there for my birthday later on.
    That bonus payment from work is burning a hole in your pocket, eh?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Good to know. I seldom go out to the exurbia, so I didn't know, but it seems like a nice place to check.

Right now, nothing I can think about, other than, yes, Tysons corner (Parfums de France, plus the luxury brands spread around the two malls), and Arielle Shoshana (still there?) in the Mosaic. The good thing is that Tysons corner mall is now reachable by metro, so that's not that bad anymore. The Mosaic mall still has none, though, and it's a long walk from the metro stop.

cacio
    Arielle Shoshana is still there! I buy most of my perfume there now. They just started carrying Frederic Malle. Good to get there by car, not so much (as you said) by publix transportation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Good to know.I'll have to venture out there sometimes.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I've been to Arielle's shop on two occasions. She's very pleasant and has a good variety of niche.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Liz B View Post
    Arielle Shoshana is still there! I buy most of my perfume there now. They just started carrying Frederic Malle. Good to get there by car, not so much (as you said) by publix transportation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I just looked up the location on a map - wow Merrifield has changed! I remember when it was very much underdeveloped in that area. I feel so old because I remember when South Riding was just being built and the Fairfax County Parkway opened.

Cook.bot - I don't think that money is burning a hole....but the mention of Frederick Malle and also seeing she has Imaginary Authors, the 2nd reformulation of The Soft Lawn has peaked my interest.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944
    Currently wearing: psy_cou by Nomenclature

There is also Bellacara in Alexandria thought it is more a cosmetic boutique with only few perfume brands.

You should go back to Tysons when you have a chance! Parfums de France did a nice remodel and added few perfume lines and more testers, imagine testing Bortnikoff or TRNP? Best place in the area for niche.